Question Would you read a 3~ star novel?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Blossom_Honey, Jul 1, 2022.

?

Would you read a 3 star novel?

1. I’d be willing to give it a chance

66 vote(s)
    88.0%
  2. Nope, it’s an instant turn off for me

9 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. Blossom_Honey

Blossom_Honey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If a novel has a rating between 3-4 stars, would you be willing to give it a chance or would you instantly go off to find something else? Also, do you think having 3~ stars means a book is terrible or do you think it means it’s just mediocre?

PS I mean 3 out of 5 stars

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
  2. aShinyVaporeon

aShinyVaporeon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    3-4 is the "it's probably not that good, but maybe it's also not bad" zone for me. Less than 3 is what I typically never touch.

Another factor that should be taken into account is the number of ratings and what the reviews say, though. There are lots of novels that have 3-4 stars but almost unanimously negative reviews.

Aqua_the_idiot, otaku31 and Euge like this.
  3. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Is this 3 stars out of 5?
    It'll depend on the synopsis and the reviews. I've read 3 star novels before and they were generally OK, but nothing special.

Euge likes this.
  4. Ceilo27

Ceilo27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well… there is a lot of reasons it could have 3 stars.
    The most common one is that there are readers who just don’t find the novel as their cup of tea. It could be the genre, too cliche, no originality, the translation is bad, etc.

sometimes the plot is good but the story is lost in translation.

or there isn’t enough reviews.
    Honestly I think there is at least a novel shouldn’t e judged based on group of people. After all each individual have their own taste.

5. Astaroth2016

Astaroth2016 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as the content of the genre isn’t boring.

6. jch

jch Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i'm the kind of person who doesn't bother looking at rating or tags so it has no effect on me lol

7. Lolistalker

Lolistalker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends really, quite a few of my fav novel was below 4-star rating and there are many times when I read below 4-star rating novel and enjoy them a lot despite knowing and agreeing with the low rating

But yea the low rating does drop my expectation and sometimes a turn-off cuz more often than not the low rating is justified. Again there is a line between a good novel and an enjoyable one, sadly usually it is difficult to enjoy a bad one so I do often avoid and don't give the novel a chance if its rating is low

Anyway, a lot of the time I just read a novel with an interesting title and premise regardless of rating especially outside of novel updates where there is not always a rating available and sometimes I would enjoy them so I often wonder if the Rating system increase or decrease my enjoyment of a novel. Then again, overall it probably helps me from wasting my time from reading all of shit novel one by one until I find one that might suit my taste

8. CardOne4All

CardOne4All Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes easily

9. aienmoon

aienmoon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depends on the number of votes. if its a 3 star rating and there are just for example, 10 people who voted then ill give it a chance. if there are like 300 votes then no. if there are like 100 people out of 300 who gave it a low rating then there must be a reason for it and i dont want to waste my time.

otaku31 likes this.
  10. ParanoidKitten

ParanoidKitten Just a barely one month old, silly kitten

Reading List:
    Link
    To be honest.. I never look at the rating.
    I'm selecting novel by looking at the title, if interested I'm reading the summary, still interested I'm checking genre and tags, then put it onto my reading list. Only if the summary interests me, but some tags make me hesitate will I go to read some reviews to decide on whether or not I should give it a try. (But I'll mainly ignore all negative ratings because of the reason below)
    The ratings are completely out of my scope o_O
    Mainly because I'm not "everyone else". So naturally what "everyone else" likes or dislikes doesn't necessarily mean I will like/dislike it as well.
    Moreover, especially in the BL genre, I had to notice that for some novel, especially new ones with barely 1-5 chapters released, people vote it down just because they don't like a tag/genre or the story, which makes me wonder how anyone could properly rate a novel when there's literally just 1-5 chapters released... (Doesn't count for short novel with only 15ish chapters)

FionaMay likes this.
  11. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually don't even look at the rating, that is just pointless to me as I have no real reason to assume that the majority of the people rating it have similar tastes as myself.

Also even if I had cared about ratings, there is a pretty big difference between having an average 3star rating from 10, 100, 1000 or 10000 people.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
    FionaMay and AliceShiki like this.
  12. Jasad

Jasad ...not oldschool, just old...

Reading List:
    Link
    rating doesn't mean anything to me, i read the synopsis and check the tag..if it interest me, then i will read it..
    like they say, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...

13. arsl31

arsl31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. 3 stars, 2 stars, 1 star, idc. I judge whether to read a novel or not by its contents(tags), not by reviews of other people, especially in these times where toxicity on the internet is becoming more prevalent. The ratings are just "likes" in Facebook but with a rating of 1-5, at least that is to me. Purely subjective and unreliable.

Even the reviews nowadays (Or like same as before) were just people ranting about how the novel wasn't their cup of tea. Their reviews are almost similar to those on Twitter. They don't review objectively, and the biggest clue to finding them is they use the words "generic" and has numerous spoilers in their reviews just to prove their opinion. Like, you are only saying they're generic because you have read numerous novels with the same tag before. What about us, who are new to the genre? And if the review is like 4.5-5 stars they had the gall to wonder why it was so "overrated". SMH.

Ofc there are also reviews that really help, but they will only do worse for you in the long run. Judge the book yourself. That's the best advice I can give to you. Then again, even if you don't, you'll eventually run out of novels to read, making you consider the lower-starred ratings yourself, just like I did.

14. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on 3 out of what and also what genre it is. If it’s something that I like/find interesting, I’ll give it a try. If not, I’ll just move on.

FionaMay likes this.
  15. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    I would read if:
    1. The synopsis piqued my interest
    2. The synopsis in the last paragraph does not say "this story is about bla bla bla"
    3. The novel has tag(s) that I like
    4. No forbidden tags (dense mc, no common sense/weird logic, idiot world/residents treating OP skill as trash skill)
    5. Review spoiling some key point that suits my taste
    6. As long as its not 2-star or below,

16. Sena

Sena Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'll read a 0 star novel if it's good. Ratings measure popularity, not quality, so a novel can be amazing and have 0-2 stars or be absolutely terrible and have 5 stars.

AliceShiki likes this.
  17. XiaoTuzi101

XiaoTuzi101 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't really look at the ratings. I just read the description and if I like it, I just add it to my reading list and start reading it.

And sometimes the cause of a novel having a lower rating is because maybe too few people read it and therefore resulting in a low rating rate, as maybe someone rated it lower because it's not to her/his taste. And I'm sure there are hidden treasures in some of the low rated novels, so give it a try if the description wakes your interest and don't just toss it away.
    As people say: "Don't jurge a book by its cover".

18. Deleted member 343155

Deleted member 343155 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, if the summary and tags were interesting enough

19. Wakashii

Wakashii Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the past I would not give a chance, but after finding a really good one with 3.2 rating I just don't care anymore. I just see the tags and read some comments about facts, and not really an opinion, like "he has x wives, he doesn't kill his enemies...''.

20. wasthequeen

wasthequeen Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it depend on the comments than the rating and some comment with a good pros and cons is enough to convince me whether i should check that one or not