Novel Martial Dawn (Romance set in a Cultivation Setting)(Book One, Two, & Three Done)

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Nikushimi, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty:
    Into the City

It was a bit confusing when a carriage arrived inside the academy. There was only one exit and entrance that I knew of, and it was the stairs going down to the admissions building. I didn't say anything about it however, and just trusted that the driver and Zhu Fan'Hua knew what they were doing. Sure enough, there were other ways out of the academy.

A gateway into a forested path that slowly slopped down. I spent my time looked out of the windows of the carriage. Mainly because whenever I looked at Zhu Fan'Hua my heart just wouldn't calm down. Something about how she looked today was better than any other day.

On top of that, she was bringing me out today. I rarely ever got to go out except on my trip here, but even then I had always been nervous. The last time I went out on my own I got attacked by some thugs and after that I had misread the schedule for the carriages and ended up missing it.

I was lucky that Sima Ai'Li and Sima Chen had been making their way through at the same time. Otherwise, I would have had to wait several more day. Looking back on it, the last couple of weeks have been just me and Zhu Fan'Hua.

We ate together, walked together, and cultivated together. Well, at least she did. I simply watched as she did so. It wasn't the most exciting thing, but I was happy to help her. Yet, that was all we ever did. I began to wonder if that was the only reason I was there.

I had told her I didn't mind if she used me for that, and I didn't. If I could help her I was happy. Still, it was all we ever did. She had told me it was only one of the reasons. A main reason, but only one of them.

I had thought I'd be cooped up in that house forever. I only saw Sima Ai'Li and Sima Chen a couple times. Each time I was called to help cultivate so I couldn't talk with them long. Now, however we were finally going out.

It was just the two of us as usual, but that I didn't mind. Being around her was calming for me as well. Even if I was nervous. After all, it was the first time going out with someone else.

The carriage rolled smoothly along and soon the city began to appear before us. A dirt path made way into paved streets. Buildings began to appear and people began to walk around. I couldn't help but look around at everything.

When coming through with the Sima Family I had the option of looking around, but didn't take it. We went straight to the academy to get registered. Starlight City was large. Miss Su told me there were roughly thirty thousand people living in it. Possibly more.

"...Stop the carriage," Zhu Fan'Hua suddenly ordered.

"Huh?" I asked, rather confused, "Are we to where we were going already?"

Zhu Fan'Hua simply looked at me, tilting her head. It was the first time I looked at her since entering the carriage. Even in silence she held a powerful presence and beauty. Feeling suddenly anxious I looked away and smiled awkwardly.

"Sorry...that was a silly question," I muttered softly.

"No, it's not," She answered, unperturbed, "You just looked like you wanted to walk around."

The words caused my heart to warm and I felt myself become shy. Did she notice that? I did, in fact, want to walk around. I could only smile and fidget a bit as I nodded.

"Then, the carriage will be stopped," She spoke as if it was fact, "We'll walk from here."

I nodded again and smiled. As the door to the carriage opened she stepped out and then offered me her hand. Sheepishly, I took it. Stepping out from the carriage I was met with the full sound and smell of the city.

Looking around, I was in awe. It felt even bigger than the City of Grass. Tall buildings loomed over the smaller ones. Wide roads and smaller roads intersected as people and carriages made their way around. Suddenly, I was pulled close to Zhu Fan'Hua.

I felt my cheeks grow heated as I blushed in the way that I do. My eyes wide and my heart beating fast. I could smell a light hint of lavender as I looked up at her. She was looking down at me impassively, yet her words caused me to smile.

"Stay close," She spoke softly, "I don't want you getting lost or hurt."

It was then that I realized I had been subconsciously walking around and was about to be jostled by the people walking around. Smiling shyly, I nodded. With her arm wrapped around mine to keep me close she began leading me down the street.

In this way I was able to look around at everything and not worry about wandering off. All the while, the light smell of lavender permeated my nose. I felt myself grow a bit self aware. She was a girl and I was a boy. Yet, we were so close to each other. Was this okay?

Looking over at her, she was focused on walking. Her head held high and eyes straight ahead. She held to me firmly, but walked at my pace. She didn't drag me along, but was considerate of my slower pace. I could only smile and think of how lucky I was to have a friend like her.

It was then that something caught my eye. As I was looking up at her I saw something at the edge of my vision. It was a shop. The name written in a fancy font. It was hard for me to make out.

Luckily, they had a window display to show what they had. Hair ties, hairpins, combs, necklaces, earrings, and more. An accessory shop. I looked as we walked by and a thought occurred to me. Something that Lord Yi'Dao had told me many years ago came back to me.

"You want to thank Miss Su?" He asked as he laughed, "Well, the best gift you can give is the sincerity from your heart."

Miss Su had done a lot for me and I had wanted to express it somehow. She had always snuck me food and even repaired my clothes as best she could. This was before she was fired due to my mistake. No, Li'Yu Wang would have gotten rid of her eventually...still, I couldn't help but feel guilty.

"Gifts cost money," Lord Yi'Dao continued, "So, if you ever find yourself with money and want to give a gift to someone. Especially a lady, then often a hair tie, pin, or some other accessory is appropriate."

He had given me a serious look then. Something burned into my memory.

"Whatever the gift may be," He spoke sternly, "Make sure it comes from the heart. Sincerity, child. That is the most important thing when giving a gift."

I smiled at the memory. Lord Yi'Dao and Miss Su were the only ones to ever care for me. To take the time and teach me anything. Yet, they were not allowed to teach me to read. So it was only when Lord Yi'Dao was leaving that he took the time to do so.

Still, his advice was always useful, but...would Zhu Fan'Hua like something like that? I found myself looking back at her and seeing how elegant she looked. Strong, yet beautiful. The only accessory she had was the hairpin in her hair. It was white jade.

All other times she often had a simple hair tie. I rarely saw her wear accessories so perhaps it wasn't for her. It was then I began to wonder something else. Why did I think of giving her a gift? Why did I want to give her a gift? It was her I immediately thought of when that memory came to me. Why?

She had done a lot for me in such a short amount of time. Gave me a warm bed to sleep in. Good food to fill me up. Spent time with me and didn't berate, hate, or hit me. She may not use a lot of words, but she was always kind to me. More than I deserved.

Miss Su and Suyin as well. They cared for both of us. They were the only servants that worked back at home. Home. When did I begin to think of it as home? I smiled to myself and simply followed along with Zhu Fan'Hua.

I still felt like I didn't belong, yet the fact I could consider that house a home warmed my heart. I'd have to show them how much I appreciated that. I now had the money...though technically Lord Yi'Dao gave me the card. I hoped he wouldn't mind me using it.

"Are you hungry?" Zhu Fan'Hua asked and I noticed we had stopped.

"I..." I wanted to say no, but as I did my stomach decided to growl.

Embarrassed I looked down at the ground and tried shrinking down. She didn't say anything, but I was sure she heard it. Without a single word she was leading me again. Through a few smaller streets before we appeared before a rather tall building.

The outside was incredibly fancy looking. The entire area looked clean and the building seemed to be made of high-end material. Red lanterns and lights hung outside. A sign carved in intricate writing was hard to make out.

Miss Su did her best to teach me, but it was still difficult. I only knew that it was a restaurant of some kind. About five stories high it was the biggest restaurant I had ever seen. Though, I never looked for hard before.

As we entered the entire atmosphere felt...rich. A front desk made of some kind of golden wood was immediately inside. The two staff members behind the desk that welcomed us. The clothing they wore looked high quality. All various shades of red. They looked clean and well groomed.

Walking in I felt extremely out of place. The high ceilings and sounds of low chatter from other patrons hit my ears. The first floor looked to be a main dining room with an open floor plan. Above was a balcony that fit the second floor. Beyond that, I wasn't sure.

"Greetings," The staff greeted, "How may we..."

They were smiling as they greeted Zhu Fan'Hua, but as their eyes drifted to me their smiles faded. I immediately felt uncomfortable. Almost instinctively and subconsciously I moved a bit closer to Zhu Fan'Hua. The light smell of lavender calming me a bit.

"Private room," Zhu Fan'Hua spoke coolly.

"Yes, of course, but..." Their eyes once again moved to me.

Things were silent and I felt myself be pulled closer to her.

"I said," Zhu Fan'Hua took a step forward, "A private...room."

Her voice grew cold as she placed something upon the desk. I couldn't see because she was blocking me, but there was an audible gasp.

"R-Right away, Your-" They began to speak but froze as Zhu Fan'Hu glared at them.

Without another word they called for another waiter.

"An'Shen," Zhu Fan'Hua turned towards me, speaking quietly, "Follow the waiter to the room...I'll be right up."

"What? Is everything alright?" I was getting a bit nervous.

What was that gasp? Why did they suddenly change their attitude?

"Yes," She nodded, speaking coolly, "Everything is fine. I just...need to speak with them about something."

She glanced back over at the staff who flinched. Without saying anything else I followed the waiter they called. I wasn't oblivious to the looks they gave me on the way. I knew I was out of place here. Yet, they still did their job.

They led me to a strange, metallic door that opened up. Stepping inside, I followed. The doors closed as the wait pushed a button upon the wall. There was a low thrum as something began to come to life. However, as it did there was a bit of stuttering and the entire thing began to shake.

"What the..." The wait staff muttered under their breath.

I was getting nervous. Did this thing use mana to work? Did it not use any other technology? Eventually, the thrum kicked and whirred to life silent as it began to move upwards.

Luckly, whatever this was...it worked not just on mana. I was nervous, however. In that moment I was sure I broke something. The doors opened and we found ourselves on a completely different floor. Hallways went in several directions with doors to rooms filling it.

Leading me down several hallways until they stopped before a double door. It was made of some nice golden wood, carved with images of flowers and a sunrise. Opening it they led me inside and seated me before leaving. They left without a word, but I could tell how annoyed they were.

The room itself was fairly large with one table set across the room. A fairly large window filled the wall that the table was set before. Looking out of it I realized that I was on the very top floor. Immediately, I felt vertigo hit me as I looked away from the window.

It was a beautiful sight of the city, but my fear of heights came in full swing. Luckily, the window didn't take up the entire wall and eventually I got used to it. Yet....where was Zhu Fan'Hua? I could only wait.
    -----

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  2. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-One:
    A Missing Hairpin

I was waiting for several minutes before I heard the door to the room open. Looking quickly towards it I saw her. Zhu Fan'Hua. It was as if all the tension in me disappeared. I felt the heaviness in my chest disappear as I smiled towards her.

She made her way quietly over to the table as three waiters followed in behind. They seemed extremely obedient suddenly. It made me worried just what Zhu Fan'Hua did. Was she okay?

"Are you...okay?" I asked her as she sat down, "You took quite a while..."

"Yes, I'm alright," She answered, her eyes passing over the waiters, "I simply had to...explain some things."

The waiters all seemed to flinch under her gaze and words. I was confused but chose not to pursue it. The most important thing is that she was okay.

"Good...I'm glad you're okay," I smiled and shifted a bit in my seat, "I hope I didn't cause any trouble."

"No," She answered almost immediately, "You are no trouble at all. Isn't that right?"

She asked towards the waiters who all simultaneously nodded. It was a bit uncomfortable but something about it made me...happy. The words she said before we left resonating in my mind.

"If anyone does say anything, well..."

She had gotten angry on my behalf and that made me happy. Though, I didn't want her to get in trouble for it. Still, it seemed everything was alright and so we got about to ordering our food. After ordering, we were left alone in the room.

"...I apologize," She eventually spoke quietly.

"W-What? For what?" I asked, a bit flustered, "You didn't do anything wrong?"

She was watching me with those cool eyes of hers. They were hard to read, yet beautiful to look at. Icy blue with hues of violet. They were eyes that looked through you, yet in that moment they were seeing just me.

I was so used to people looking through me or past me, but her...she looked directly at me. I could only smile as I thought about it, fidgeting happily.

"For the view," Her eyes turned towards the window, "I did not know they'd give us a room with a view. Are you...alright?"

It was then that I realized she was worried about me. Concerned for my fear of heights. The happiness in my heart only grew as I fidgeted even more.

"I-I mean...it's okay," I smiled softly, looking out of the window, "It's...a bit better. Especially with you here, so..."

I felt awkward saying it, yet it came out before I could even think about it. It was true. I felt better when she was around. I could look out the window with less of a reaction.

"...Good," She answered, and I swear I saw a small smile upon her face.

Overall, the atmosphere was soothing after the waiters had left. Soon, however, they returned with our food. Vegetable and pork rolls, noodles in a sweet sauce, and drinks for us to enjoy. I had not ordered because the menu was a bit difficult to read. It was Zhu Fan'Hua who had ordered.

The food had arrived, but it was too awkward to begin eating. The waiters stayed behind just in case we needed anything else. Yet, it was a bit unnerving.

"...You may leave," Zhu Fan'Hua ordered.

They looked at each other as if confused, but one look from her was enough to convince them. I wondered if she was also a bit unnerved with them watching us eat. I couldn't really picture her ever being unnerved though.

After they left we enjoyed our meal in relative silence. It was incredibly delicious. Yet, the setting made me wonder...why did she choose such a fancy restaurant?

"Mis-Ah, I mean Zhu Fan'Hua," I asked after finishing up some of my food, "Why...did you choose this place?"

She was looking out the window when I asked her, chin resting upon her palm. She glanced over at me and was silent for a moment.

"I thought...it would be nice," She answered eventually, "You don't get to experience these things, right?"

I felt, for some reason, incredibly moved by her words.

"So...you chose it for me?" I asked, touched.

"...I suppose so," She answered as if it was no big deal, "Yet, they acted so..."

She grew a bit frustrated as I saw her brow furrow and some pressure enter the room.

"Oh! I-It's okay!" I exclaimed, holding my hands up to calm her down, "It's fine...really."

She took a breath and relaxed. Yet, she didn't look like she believed me, but it was true. It really was fine.

"...Because I'm here with you," I found myself muttering out loud.

I immediately realized that I did so and found myself incredibly embarrassed. There was an incredibly awkward silence between us then. Looking down at the floor, I was panicking inside.

"Come on," She broke the silence as she stood up, "We shouldn't stay here too long."

"O-Okay..." I answered, getting up as well.

Did I do something wrong? I felt horrible and awkward. My eyes to the ground as we made our way out of the building. The staff were incredibly hospitable on our way out. A much different atmosphere from when we had arrived.

Outside we began walking back across town when Zhu Fan'Hua suddenly stopped. I almost ran into her but caught myself from doing so.

"An'Shen," She called my name quietly.

"Y-Yes?" I asked, worried she may be upset.

After all, I did seem to bring the mood down when I entered the restaurant. Was she angry about that? Perhaps she didn't enjoy going with me. Perhaps-

"...I am as well," Zhu Fan'Hua spoke softly "It was nice. Being here with you."

Her words tore through all my doubt in that moment. Looking up towards her with wonder in my eyes.

"R-Really? Are you sure?" I found myself asking, "I didn't ruin anything?"

"Not at all," She responded, turning towards me.

Her hand found my cheek as she lifted me a bit straighter. A small curl to her lips.

"You are my dear friend," She told me, and I felt the center of my chest warm, "It doesn't matter what anyone says."

I could only smile and felt the tears well in my eyes. However, they were cut short as I noticed something for the first time. Her white jade hairpin was gone. Confused, I tilted my head as I looked at her. Why didn't I notice before?

"Your...hairpin," I asked, motioning towards her hair, "Where did it go?"

She reached towards her hair which was now in a simple half ponytail.

"Ah, don't worry about that," Her small smile faded as she dismissed it, "It's not important."

"But...it looked good, and..." I frowned as I tried to understand.

She may not be someone who cares for those things, but to lose something like that wasn't good. It was important because it was hers. Then, an idea hit me. That accessory shop.

Looking around I realized that we were close by to that very shop. Looking for any landmarks I made note of where we were. I wanted to pay back all that she had done for me and the perfect opportunity arose.

"W-Wait here!" I exclaimed as I went to quickly move away.

A sudden force stopped me as I felt her hand around my wrist. Looking back, I smiled brightly.

"Don't worry! I'll be right back," I told her, but she didn't let go.

"I'll go with you," She stated, her eyes unwavering.

I suddenly grew nervous. If she knew where I was going she may refuse it. I wanted to do this and I wanted it to be a surprise. She couldn't know.

"No," I shook my head, "Y-You can't...trust me. I'll be right back!"

She furrowed her brow slightly.

"I'll hurry right back, promise!" I insisted and felt my heart ache.

I didn't like telling her no, and I didn't want to leave her behind. I enjoyed spending my time with her. Yet, in this instance I had to do this myself. It was the perfect opportunity.

She looked intently at me as if judging something. After a moment, she let go of my wrist and nodded.

"...Alright," She answered, "Be careful."

"I will!" I smiled and ran off, waving back at her, "I'll be back before you know it!"

I already had in mind just what I wanted to get. I had saw it in the display window already. The image of a purple hair tie with a white embroidered flower pattern flashed in my head. Next to it was a white lotus hairpin. I hoped she'd like them.
    -----

"Honestly..." Zhu Fan'Hua thought to herself, "What a handful..."

Of course, as usual, she didn't mind it. Yet, there was a worry in her heart. Letting him wander this city by himself unsettled her. Why? He wasn't a child.

If only she hadn't lost her hairpin. Then he wouldn't be rushing off right now. Just what was he thinking? Was he thinking of trying to find it? It would be impossible...since it shattered.

Honestly, she wasn't sure why she had gotten so mad. Yet, the look they gave him irritated her. He had cleaned up so well to go out with her. Still, they looked at him as if he was trash. Even now, her teeth clenched at the thought.

Yet, if she had been able to control her anger then perhaps her hairpin would still be here. She had talked to the staff and informed them that he was her friend. He should be treated with respect. She didn't like throwing her families name around, but in that moment she had.

Still, they were disrespectful. The owner had even come out to complain. She still recalled how she instictively threw the hairpin at the man. It missed him by mere inches but left a cut along their cheek. It shattered upon contact with the stone pillar behind him, but so too did the pillar crack.

After that they were a lot more receptive. Was power and strength the only thing that mattered to the people of this world?

"Still," She thought to herself, "If it means protecting that smile..."

She recalled the way he smiled upon her arrival in the room. His smile when she reassured him. Even his smile now as he ran to do whatever it is he had on his mind. Yet, her heart felt a bit heavy.

He reacted to her words in such a way because of how he was treated in the past. Only Miss Su and Lord Yi'Dao had ever said kind things to him. Perhaps that's why she was worried when he ran off. It was a sad truth, but not everyone was like Miss Su and Lord Yi'Dao. Above all, there was no one like her.
    -----

"Sir..." The clerk wrung their hands as they watched me, "Please, hurry up. Your disturbing the other-"

I glanced at her, furrowing my brow as I simply sighed. Reaching into the folds of my clothing I found it. The card. Flashing it before her to shut her up. Immediately her tone changed.

"Take your time!" She exclaimed, wringing her hands in a greedier way.

Whatever this card was, it meant money. I smiled to myself as I just shook my head. I had already chosen what I wanted for Zhu Fan'Hua, but it was getting something for Miss Su and Suyin. Over the last two weeks they seemed to be pretty close.

They would talk and laugh with one another. I even saw Suyin helping Miss Su with the dishes. They seemed really friendly. I wonder if they would like a matching gift?

"Ah!" A thought came to me, "Matching gifts...Perhaps I should get one for me and Zhu Fan'Hua."

Immediately, a pair of bracelets caught my attention. They were a pair of red cord bracelets. Each entwined with decorative metals. One was some kind of silver metal and the other an onyx.

As I saw the bracelets, I also noticed a set of hair ties. Dark blue in color with golden stitching. I thought they'd fit Miss Su and Suyin perfectly. I immediately chose them all and asked for them to be gift wrapped.

Soon, I was on my way. Clutching the bag to my chest I ran happily back towards Zhu Fan'Hua. I really hoped she'd like them. The alleyway up ahead was the one I took before.

Turning into it my heart immediately dropped. Five individuals all waiting. Leaning up against the walls of the buildings. They all immediately looked towards me. A smile crossed one of their faces.

"Well, well, well," They repeated as they stepped into the center of the alley, "Look who it is..."

"D-Do I know you?" I asked, swallowing hard.

"No, but I..." The one talking stepped forward, "Know you."
    -----

3. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-Two:
    Feeling of Safety

The blood I tasted in my mouth flashed me back to the Li'Yu Family. The pain in my ribs reminiscent of the time I broke them. I clung to the bag desperately. Why were they attacking me? Was it money they wanted? I didn't know them, yet they knew me?

"Damn," One of them commented, "What's up with my mana?"

"You too?" Another chimed in.

I could only be thankful they couldn't utilize mana or I may be dead. I felt a hand grasp my hair and pull me up by it.

"I guess it's true," They said as they looked at me, "You really are just Base Stage 5..."

Opening my eyes a bit, I looked at him. Hazle brown eyes, dark brown hair tied back, and a fair complexion. He was slim, yet athletic. He had a cruel smile as he slammed my face down into the ground.

"Honestly...what gives you the nerve," He seethed, "To get close to the Princess?"

"P-Princess?" I asked, rather confused, "What are you talking about?"

"Heh, still talking? That's something," He sneered.

I felt myself be pulled and thrown against the nearby wall. Yet still, I did not let go of the bag. I only hoped they were not broken. Looking over at all of them I noticed something. It made my blood run cold.

They each had a weapon, and on each one of them was a red tie. The Righteous Sword. The group that Sima Ai'Li warned me about. They discriminated against those weaker and from lesser families, but what was this about a Princess?

"So, you want to know about the Princess?" He laughed, "You don't know anything, do you? As your senior, allow me to enlighten you. The Princess is but one of five individual beauties at the academy. Collectively, they are the Five Lotus."

They continued to explain as I tried to think of a way out of this. I was cursing myself. Everytime I left on my own something happened. Did I just have bad luck?

"Zhu Fan'Hua is one of those, and thus she is a Princess," He seemed to almost swoon at saying her name, "And you..."

His tone took on a deadliness.

"Dare to defile her," He ground his teeth as all of them began to menacingly approach me, "I almost couldn't believe it when I was told. Yet, here you are..."

Told? Were they watching us? How else would they have known I was with Zhu Fan'Hua? I had barely left the house. Were they stalking her?

"What she does..." I mustered the words, "Is none of your business..."

I spat out some blood in defiance, which only angered him more.

"Not my...Listen, you insignificant bitch," He cursed at me and knelt down before me, grabbing me by the hair as he slammed my head into the wall, "Zhu Fan'Hua is mine. I don't want to see you near her."

"Yeah. Liu Chao is the best looking and deserves that black lotus," One of them chimed in, "Nothing a useless waste like you could ever reach."

Liu Chao. That was this boys name. The one who held me by the hair. He was strong. Nothing I haven't dealt with before. Yet, something in how they talked about Zhu Fan'Hua angered me.

"You? Good looking?" I almost laughed if my ribs didn't hurt.

I knew what was coming, but it still hurt. The pain as I went sprawling across the alley caused the breath to leave my lungs. It was in that moment the bag I had held onto left my grip.

"No!" I exclaimed involuntarily, then cursed myself.

"Oh? What's this?" He asked, walking over to pick it up.

"D-Don't...touch that," I growled, trying to crawl to it.

"This?" He said, pointing down to it, "Well, if you apologize and promise to stay away from Zhu Fan'Hua, then...just maybe I won't touch it."

I continued to crawl towards the bag, but before I could reach it he kicked it away. In anger, I attempted to latch onto his leg and hit a pressure point, but only got kicked away.

"How dare you touch me..." He fumed, but took a breath, "Honestly, when I saw you with her today...I could hardly believe it. Just what does she see in you? I thought you'd never leave her side...but when you ran away..."

So they were stalking her. I was angry yet powerless. The bag of gifts for Zhu Fan'Hua, Suyin, and Miss Su was lying in the alley. I had to at least get that. They could hit me all they wanted, but not that bag.

"So, if you apologize...I'll let you leave," He continued, "But if you don't, then you know what will happen."

"I...No, she's my friend..." I felt my heart ache at the thought of staying away from her.

"Friends? With you? Ha!" He simply jeered, "You're nothing but a waste. Why would someone like her be friends with you?"

He was right. His words hit hard. Why was she friends with me? Was it because I help her cultivate? Then...why was she so nice to me? My heart only hurt at these thoughts.

Trying not to dwell on it I focused on one thought and one thought only. I had to leave with that bag. Precious items were inside. I couldn't let them take it. If I had to apologize to do so then...

"But, it occurs to me," He pondered as he walked to the bag, "Since you were with her...this must be a gift?"

My blood froze as he went to pick it up. I had to apologize. I had to get out of here.

"Perhaps...I'll take these instead," He laughed cruelly, picking it up, "And give them to her."

"N-No..." I pleaded, "Please...I-I'm so-"

It was just a flash. I barely had time to register it. The bag that was held in Liu Chao's hand no longer was in his hand. In fact, he was no longer standing.

"You have nothing to apologize for," The familiar, cool, impassive voice of Zhu Fan'Hua.

She was standing where Liu Chao had been. The bag in her hand as she turned towards me. Kneeling down and completely ignoring the others who were in shock. Liu Chao was currently laying flat on his back in the alleyway several yards away.

"Honestly," She muttered, "All this for a bag..."

I felt a bit ashamed, but I didn't regret any of it. Why was she friends with me? Would someone who didn't care, who didn't want to be friends, really help me like this?

"They were...for everyone," I smiled my best, but it was painful, "Miss Su, Suyin, and...you."

She didn't say anything as she simply brushed my hair out of my face.

"Then...let's go give it to them," She said softly.

"I don't think so!" It was Liu Chao's voice, "That kid stays here! He's a waste!"

She ignored his words as she carefully checked me over. She seemed to be a bit versed in medical skills. Checking my pulse and vital areas like Lord Yi'Dao. Several times I flinched, but none worse than around my ribs. Her hands became gentler as she checked around them.

"Just leave him," Liu Chao continued, "He's a waste! Princess, you deserve someone better than-"

"You hurt him..." She muttered, interrupting him, "Apologize."

They were simple words, but held weight.

"Apologize? To him?" Liu Chao laughed, "I'll never apologize to a waste like-"

"That...was the third time," Zhu Fan'Hua spoke, her tone growing cold.

"Third time?" Liu Chao became incredulous, "What are you tal-"

"Silence," Her tone grew colder, slicing like a blade through his words.

Looking up at her my breath was caught in my throat. Something moved inside of me in that moment. My heart felt calm yet heated at the same time. Her usually impassive face was...intense.

Her features seemed sharper and her eyes had a deadly glint to them. Swallowing hard I almost felt sorry for them. They should have run. Yet, as she said those words they grew angry. As if losing all reasoning they attacked her.

"Fine! Get her!" Liu Chao ordered, "Princess or not...after being tainted by a waste like that, your value is worthless!"

"...So be it," She muttered softly, her eyes turning to me and becoming gentle, "I'll be right back. Stay here."

I simply nodded even though I couldn't go anywhere regardless. As soon as I nodded her eyes turned fierce again as the first of the five drew their weapon towards her. An icy chill filled the air as she stood smoothly.

I saw as ice crystals coalesced around her arm and materialized into a beautiful guandao. Its icy white, curved blade and long handle were simple yet elegant. It blocked the first strike of the sword, shattering the blade and sending the user flying.

In that moment of icy wind and fierce power I had only one thought. Stunning. Her hair flowing along with the loose cloth of her robes. She was standing between me and those who meant to harm me. Those who did harm me.

In that moment I felt like the safest person in the world. No matter how hard they tried she effortlessly broke their weapons and sent them flying back. It didn't take long before they were weaponless and half frozen.

I was in awe and wonder at the power and beauty she displayed. Was this really Zhu Fan'Hua? The way she almost seemed to dance yet hold her ground against all five of them was incredible.

As they caught their breaths Zhu Fan'Hua turned her attention towards me. I thought she would help me stand, but instead I felt myself lifted in her arms. Quickly, I grabbed the bag and held it close. Her expression softened as she looked towards me.

"It's time to go," She spoke softly, "It's not worth it to exterminate these insects. However..."

Glancing at them her expression grew grim.

"Should they decide to crawl out again..." She left the rest unsaid.

She didn't have to tell them what would happen. Even I understood her meaning. To go to this extent...for me. Why? I felt my heart beating fast in my chest. An icy lavender smell washing over me. It was cool and comforting.

"L-Let's go..." I whispered, not wanting to be there any longer.

I found myself burying my head into her shoulder. Without another word she walked away. Effortlessly carrying me in her arms. I felt embarrassed but couldn't deny that I didn't mind it. In fact, I was happy. I didn't know why she went to such an extent for me, but here in her arms right in that moment...I felt safe.
    -----

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  4. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-Three:
    Gift Giving

"...Why did you come?" I asked meekly as we entered the carriage to return.

She was silent as she helped me in. The driver said nothing, but looked to be quite concerned with the state I was in. As we entered the carriage I expected to be placed down on my own. Instead, I found my head resting in her lap.

Embarrassment and shyness overcame me as I tried to protest.

"...Stay still," She spoke with a firmness, and I obeyed.

She placed her hand on my forehead to make sure I didn't move. Her lap was soft and I found myself becoming overly self-conscious. Was this really okay? The carriage began to roll gently along.

"...Too long," Zhu Fan'Hua muttered quietly.

"Too long?" I asked, looking up at her with a puzzled look.

Taking a breath, she looked out the window almost absentmindedly.

"You asked me why I came," She spoke quietly, "You were taking too long."

"...Ah," I smiled awkwardly as I remembered what I said before I ran off.

I told her I would be back soon, but ended up taking longer because of those five. I felt both happy and guilty for taking so long. Still, it brought one thing to mind.

"How...did you know where I was?" It was a simple question, but one that I was curious about.

I hadn't told her where I was going, nor did I think she followed me. Yet, she found me so quickly and just in time too.

"...I saw you looking at the shop," She answered as she looked down at me, "When we first arrived. It caught your eye."

I felt my cheeks grow warm as I looked away sheepishly. Was she watching me that entire time? Yet, I remember her paying attention to the road. For some reason, I was incredibly happy.

"But-" I began to talk but her finger stopped me.

"No more talking," She ordered, narrowing her eyes at me, "You need to rest. I simply figured that's where you went after you noticed my hairpin missing. Now, don't worry about it and focus on recovering."

I nodded as I fidgeted a bit. It hurt to move and speak, but it wasn't anything I wasn't used to. Still, I was incredibly happy that she came for me. They said she wasn't my friend, yet...why would she have helped me then?

I didn't have to be unharmed to help her with her cultivation. She also got extremely angry when she saw how hurt I was. I was pretty sure a rib was broken again.

The rest of the trip continued with the carriage rolling gently along. Her hand never leaving my forehead. It was oddly comforting. So much so that I slightly dozed off on the way, much to my embarrassment. Though, I wasn't sure if it was because of that or the injuries.

As we arrived Miss Su and Suyin waiting for us. Smiles on their faces until they saw her carry me out of the carriage. The mood changed quickly as Miss Su rushed to my side.

"An'Shen! What happened?" She was frantic as Zhu Fan'Hua walked quickly into the house, "Young Miss!"

She called after her but she said nothing. I simply looked up at her face and could tell why. Was I just getting better at reading her? Zhu Fan'Hua's jaw was clenched. Did she...

"It's not your fault," I found myself saying as I reached up to her cheek.

It was the first time I saw her flinch. It was ever so slight, but it was obvious I hit the mark. Perhaps I could tell because...I was the same. Always blaming myself for the things that happened around me. Even to this day.

"...I should have gone with," She stated quietly.

I could tell she felt guilty. Even as she relaxed and began carrying me a bit more slowly. As she entered my room and laid me down, she took the bag to make me more comfortable. As she turned to leave I couldn't just say nothing.

"You couldn't have known," I reassured her, "They were following us all day..."

She didn't say anything as she took a step back to allow Miss Su to check me over. Taking a step out of the room to speak with Suyin.
    -----

"What happened?" Suyin asked as Zhu Fan'Hua closed the door.

"...He was attacked," She answered calmly, but Suyin knew better.

"Were you not with him?" She asked but knew the answer.

Zhu Fan'Hua's jaw clenched. Suyin understood. She had not been with him, but what exactly had happened?

"Who was it?" Suyin asked, changing the topic.

"...Liu Chao and the Righteous Sword," She answered, her tone turning cold.

Suyin knew of them. Liu Chao had tried courting the Young Miss ever since they entered this school. The Black Lotus, they called her. One of the Five Lotus of the academy. Summarily called "Princesses".

"That boy..." Suyin sighed, anger entering her voice, "Honestly, what are the masters thinking letting this Righteous Sword exist?"

"The Liu Family," Zhu Fan'Hua spoke, a steel to her voice, "Remind me of their status."

Suyin furrowed her brow in confusion, but as she saw the look upon Zhu Fan'Hua's face she understood. Her eyes held a fire to them. Suyin knew that look.

"I will, but first," Suyin relaxed a bit, crossing her arms as she pointed to the bag in her hand, "What's that?"

Zhu Fan'Hua looked at it and it was as if the fire inside her eyes cleared a bit. An amused expression crossed her face then.

"...Gifts," She answered, laughing lightly, "That fool bought gifts for all of us...with my own money."

"An'Shen did?" Suyin asked, also amused, "And why would he do that? Does he even know it's your money?"

"...Probably not," She shook her head, "He noticed my hairpin missing and thought...Honestly, I'm not sure what he was thinking."

Suyin had an inkling as to why he did. He saw she lost something and wanted to repay her. To give her a gift. While he was at it he thought to get something for the rest of them.

"Well," Suyin said as she motioned to the bag, "He went through all the trouble, let's not let it go to waste, right?"

Zhu Fan'Hua stared at the bag and Suyin could see her contemplating several things.
    -----

"Honestly..." She thought to herself, "He didn't have to go through so much trouble..."

Zhu Fan'Hua stared at the bag in her hand. Her thoughts turned to An'Shen and him buying whatever was in there. He most likely wanted to surprise her. Why? Though, it was rather touching.

If she had gone with he would not have gotten hurt. No, that wasn't it. If she had been focused then she would have noticed Liu Chao and the other pests beforehand. Honestly speaking, she was excited to be out with An'Shen.

Suyin had been right. They were cooped up for too long in the house. They needed to get out. An'Shen allowed her to exist without pain. For that, he was extremely precious. Yet, there was something more to it. She knew that.

When she saw him hurt, her heart ached. It was like a hole being carved into her chest. Was it guilt for letting him go alone? No, she had also gotten angry at the waiters for how they treated him.

He wasn't dressed in rags, yet the way they looked at him was like he was trash. She even revealed that to them. She hated using her family's status, but sometimes...it was a necessity. Why though, did she use it for him? He was her friend, of course.

The thought of losing him, or him being hurt angered and tore at her. Was it because of his life before now? The Li'Yu Family never treated him well. Even after Lord Yi'Dao gave them the ultimatum. They still looked for ways to make his life bad.

The reports she got were never good. Yes, she had sent people to watch them. The Li'Yu Family and An'Shen. Since leaving the Li'Yu Family she had been worried. It took a while but soon they had eyes on the place. However, it was like they knew.

Li'Yu Wang was extremely careful. Never raising a hand against An'Shen, but never helping him either. It was hard to build evidence against them, but she had been working on it for a while now. The first process, however, was getting An'Shen away from them.

There had always been more than one reason for An'Shen to be here. Helping her cultivate was only one of them. Getting him away from that situation was another. When the time was right she'd ask him what he wanted to do about the Li'Yu Family.

Until then, there was something she could do on her own. The Liu Family.
    -----

"...You silly boy," Miss Su chided lovingly.

I could only shrink under her scrutiny. I felt awkward now that I knew whose card and money I had used. Zhu Fan'Hua and Suyin had entered and told me. To think that I used her own money to buy gifts for them all.

"I just...thought Lord Yi'Dao gave it to me," I explained, gritting my teeth in pain, "I wanted to give back...do something for all of you. Everything you've all done is just-"

"Shh," Miss Su shushed me, "No talking. Rest, but...it came from the heart, right?"

I felt myself blushing on the inside as I nodded bashfully. They each took out the gift meant for them. Thankfully, none of them were broken.

"Oh!" Miss Su exclaimed as she noticed the matching gifts, "These hair ties..."

"Ah! Those-" I began to speak but a single look from all of them quieted me.

There were notes along with the gifts that I paid for. A simple "To Zhu Fan'Hua" and "To Miss Su and Suyin" tied to the packages. Miss Su had pulled out the hair ties meant for her and Suyin. It was then that I noticed Zhu Fan'Hua holding the bag with the bracelets in it.

"Ah-" Again, before I could get even a single word out, I was silenced.

I was frustrated, but touched. It was hard not to explain as she took out the red cord bracelets in the bag. She looked at them as if trying to figure out what they were. Her eyes glancing at Miss Su and Suyin before they fell upon me. Perhaps she didn't like them?

Without a word she walked to me and knelt down. Watching her, she lifted my left arm and tied to it one of the bracelets. The one she tied to my wrist was the one with silver looking metal.

"Do you know what metal is on these?" She asked me softly as I shook my head, "It's called Starmetal. A unique substance made from falling stars."

The way she explained it to me reminded me of our childhood. She'd explain stuff like this to me then as well. I had no idea that this was something called Starmetal. Which means that what I thought was onyx must also be Starmetal.

After finishing tying the cord, it fit snuggly against my wrist. The coolness of the Starmetal felt calming. Looking closer at it the metal was smooth with small, dark waves through it. Glancing to the other one she held in her hand I saw that it was also smooth with small, silver waves through it. Truly, a matching pair.

"Now, get some rest," She said as she stood, setting my arm back down next to me.

With that, she turned around and walked out of the room. After making sure I was comfortable, both Suyin and Miss Su left. Lifting my left wrist to look at the bracelet, I couldn't help but wonder if I did the right thing. At least Miss Su and Suyin looked like they appreciated their gifts.

Zhu Fan'Hua was a bit more difficult to understand. She placed this upon my wrist as if she knew. It made me happy, but as I smiled I let my arm drop. Glancing out of the window in my room at the setting sun, I found myself wondering if it held some kind of meaning I wasn't aware of.
    -----

5. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-Four:
    Realization

Over the next few days I was bedridden. They wouldn't let me move around at all. Miss Su was adamant about it and when she found me sneaking around she had Suyin escort me straight back to my room. I felt like a child again.

Yet, unlike the Li'Yu Family it was all done with care. They wanted me to get better, but I just couldn't sit still. The only time they let me move was when I took a bath. The warm water felt amazing against my bruised body.

I had also been right in that I had another broken rib. Though they couldn't use mana around me, their bodies were still strong. I was not. No matter how hard I trained I could never reach the peak that others could.

In this world, strength mattered. Your power mattered. If you were weak you were looked down upon. Most people could live their entire lives without worrying about that. They had skills, trades, and other things they could do for their life.

Me? I had no skills. No talent. I could barely read. So, for most they could get by in this world even if they were weak. They could at least utilize mana, even the tiniest amount. I could hardly sense mana let alone control it. I was a waste.

So then why did Zhu Fan'Hua go to such lengths? Why did Miss Su help me? Why did Suyin care? Why did Lord Yi'Dao fight for me?

I was, of course, very grateful to all of them. I just couldn't understand it no matter how hard I tried. Were people really that nice? I simply hoped it to be true. So as they helped me and cared for me I allowed myself, if even a little bit, to believe.

"An'Shen," Miss Su called out, "Lunch is ready, I'm coming in."

I was propped up in my bed by a bunch of pillows. I had been practicing the words that Miss Su had given me. As she entered I set it down to prepare for my lunch. Since they had me bedridden they refused to let me walk down to the dining room.

"How are you feeling today?" She asked sweetly as she prepared bed table for me.

"...Restless," I sighed and adjusted a bit.

"I'm sure you are," She responded apologetically, "But, you have to rest in order to heal."

"It's not that bad..." I muttered, sighing once more.

There was silence between us then. She knew I've been through worse.

"...I'm sorry," I apologized, "That was-"

"No," She interrupted, shaking her head, "I know that it's not easy. You've been through a lot."

She set the food tray down before me. Noodles with chicken broth, slice egg, and some vegetables. On the side there was some cut up peaches and a cup with cold juice in it. Looking at Miss Su, her face was full of concern and worry. Just how nice could one person be?

"An'Shen," She spoke softly as she gently brushed the hair from my face, "Just because you can handle it...doesn't mean you should. I know you can handle it, but..."

Reaching up I grabbed her hand brushing my hair. Clasping it between both my hands, I squeezed them gently.

"Okay...okay," I smiled lightly, "I'll take it easy, but...can I please just walk around? At least a little bit?"

"...I'll think about it, alright?" Miss Su smiled, taking back her hand and patting my shoulder, "For now, eat. Rest."

I resigned myself and nodded. Taking her leave, I began to slowly eat. As always, the food was delicious. I hoped that I could get up soon.
    -----

She stared at the bracelet for a long while. Ever since An'Shen gave everyone their gifts, she had been contemplating it. Zhu Fan'Hua just wasn't sure what to do. To her, it was such a foolish thing to risk yourself for.

Items could be bought again. His life couldn't. He didn't have to protect them like he did. Of course, she knew that Liu Chao wasn't after the items. Yet, despite that An'Shen's main concern was the items. Even as he was getting injured.

All of that for what? Accessories? It was foolish, yet...she found herself feeling moved. He didn't have to do any of that, and yet he did. Picking up the bracelet she observed it.

Moving it around in her hand as she contemplated. Carefully, she tied it around her own left wrist. As she examined it, a small, amused smile graced her lips. Her feature softening.

She wondered if An'Shen even knew the meaning of these bracelets. Red cords, entwined with Starmetal. Two parts of a whole. His condition cancelled hers out. Like the bracelets, they mutually exist with each other. So, how fitting it was that he chose such bracelets.

"How does it fit?" Suyin asked, stepping from the shadows.

"...Better than expected," Zhu Fan'Hua answered, her smile fading as she looked towards Suyin, "What have you found out?"

Suyin moved to the chair opposite Zhu Fan'Hua and sat down. Getting comfortable as she began to report.

"The Liu Family, as you know, is a Central Family," Suyin reported, picking up the glass of chilled wine that was prepared for her ahead of time, "They have connections with the Major Families Yu'Min and Bai'Li."

Zhu Fan'Hua contemplated the news. She had heard of their connections but it was never of concern to her. The Zhu Family was much like the Liu Family. It was a central family with a strong ally in the Cao'Lu Family. Some considered the Zhu Family to be a minor family because of this, but they would be wrong.

Minor Families oversaw just one city state and the land around it. Central Families oversaw several city states and the land around them. This often equates to a small territory. In contrast, a major family oversees many city states and the land around them. Often, a major family has minor families under them to oversee those individual city states. This makes the territory of a major family much larger than the others.

To be considered a central family one must have at least three to five city states under their protection. A major family is considered a major family once they have at least five city states and at least one minor family under them.

To have two major families as allies meant they were well connected. Of course, that mattered little to Zhu Fan'Hua. The Yu'Min were mediators. Merchants first and warriors second. They thrived on their jade stone market.

The Bai'Li, however, were a bit trickier. On the outside they were simple merchants selling ores and gemstones. However, for those who knew them knew them by their true nature. The Bai'Li were at their core, Spies and Assassins.

"To think they are connected with the Bai'Li..." Zhu Fan'Hua muttered, taking a sip of her tea, "It would be a shame if that connection was...severed."

Suyin looked over her cup at Zhu Fan'Hua. She knew the tone that she used and understood. Zhu Fan'Hua was planning to make some moves. They made a mistake when they harmed someone close to her.

"...How do you want to do it?" Suyin asked, already prepared for whatever was requested.

"The Young Lord of the Liu Family..." Zhu Fan'Hua spoke, an iciness in her tone, "Insulted the Black Lotus. I'm sure Auntie Fu'Rong would be thrilled to hear of it."

Bai'Li Fu'Rong. The Head of the Bai'Li Family. As dangerous as she was beautiful, and she was absolutely stunning. As Zhu Fan'Hua sipped her tea she wondered at how her aunt was doing.
    -----

The next few days saw An'Shen taking small walks around the house with Miss Su not far behind. Zhu Fan'Hua watched from a distance. She still felt guilty for leaving him alone. She knew he didn't blame her, but she still allowed it to happen.

If she had been quicker or had insisted more intensely then perhaps he wouldn't have gotten so hurt. The bruises on his face were far from fading. His rib would take a while to heal. Medicine barely worked on him and she had to find high quality medicines just for any effect.

Of course, she told him none of this. If he knew the grade of pill she acquired for him then he may insist on doing something extravagant to repay her. This way, even if he wants to pay them back, he wouldn't feel too pressured by what it was.

Zhu Fan'Hua didn't have much to do during these times. Suyin had left to relay her message to Bai'Li Fu'Rong and she was keeping her distance from An'Shen. Lately, anytime she saw him her heart ached. It wasn't like she was in pain, but it hurt.

Was it the guilt eating at her or was it something else? What's more is that it hurt even worse when she saw him with Sima Ai'Li and Sima Chen. They heard that he was injured and came to see him. Right now, she watched from the hallway. His door open just a crack.

Why? Why did she feel this aching in her heart? Realizing she was subconsciously touching her bracelet, she stopped and turned to leave. As she did, she noticed Miss Su watching her. Not saying a word, Zhu Fan'Hua began to walk past her.

"Why don't you go in?" Miss Su asked softly when she got closer.

"...His friends are here," She answered simply.

Skeptical at that response, Miss Su glanced at her from the side. Before Zhu Fan'Hua took another step, she called out to her.

"You know, Young Miss," Miss Su mused, "You may want to think of why you wear that bracelet."

With that, Miss Su walked on towards An'Shen's room. Zhu Fan'Hua found herself looking at the bracelet. Taking in the dark color and veins of silver. Why did she wear this? It was just a trinket. Yet, it was something that An'Shen got for her. Even if it was with her own money.

Behind her, she heard the door to his room close as Miss Su entered. Left alone with her thoughts, Zhu Fan'Hua found herself in the sitting room. Letting the cool breeze filter in from outside, she pondered Miss Su's words.

Crossing her arms on the windowsill, she rested her head upon them. Glancing at the bracelet she wondered just what it was she was feeling. Was it...jealousy? He was her first friend and the only thing that kept the pain at bay.

Was it such a superficial thing? Could a friendship be built on that? Zhu Fan'Hua knew she wasn't the best when it came to social interactions outside of politics. So what she was feeling was new to her. This feeling that tore at her heart. Pulling at emotions she never felt before.

She wasn't sure how long she was thinking for. The sun was going down and she wondered if Sima Ai'Li and Sima Chen had left yet. The opening of the door to the sitting room caughter her attention. Yet, it was the easing of her pain which told her who it was.

"...An'Shen," She spoke calmly, "You should be resting."

"Ah...well," He spoke a bit nervously, "I haven't seen you in a while and...well..."

Glancing back at him she saw the way he fidgeted. He stood next to her, his eyes shifting around anxiously. She didn't push him to speak, he would get there on his own. She simply watched him, head resting on her arms.

"I guess...I just missed you," He gave that awkward, shy smile that told her he was blushing.

"Is one person allowed to be this cute?" She thought to herself and realized that it was that word again.

Cute. Yes, he was cute. The way he fumbled, the way he smiled, and many other things he did made her think he was cute. Even as a child she recalled thinking he was cute.

There was a time where he tried to give her his food when he had so little. It was endearing and ever since during her stay there she would give him more from her own food. He was always so happy and shy when receiving the food, but was always so grateful.

In those moments he was cute as well. Since then he hasn't changed a single bit. Part of the reason for that hurt her. The abuse and neglect he suffered caused scars that ran deep. But, underneath all that he was An'Shen. Her first friend.

Yet, there was more to it. She realized something as she watched him fidget and smile in the unique way that he blushed. Her heart stirred at his words and she thought back to their time together as children.

Everything finally began to make sense to her. He wasn't just her first friend. He was also her first love.
    -----

6. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-Five:
    What's Mine is Mine

She always had a feeling. A feeling that she loved him. She knew she cared for him. She knew she wanted him to be safe and healthy. She wanted him to be happy. To smile like he did when they were together as children. All this time she knew it but didn't acknowledge it.

So, while she realized the feelings inside of her, it didn't come as a surprise. It was more like a freeing of weight from her chest. She found herself smiling up at him. This caused him to fidget more. She knew how she looked to people, but to them it didn't matter. As long as he looked at her.

"...Sit," Zhu Fan'Hua motioned to the chair opposite her by the window.

He listened and sat down, shifting around as he got comfortable. In truth, she missed him as well. Calming her heart, she began to relax.

"How were your friends?" She asked him, wondering if he had a good time.

"Ah! They're good," He answered with a smile, "Worried, but good."

He laughed lightly and it was soothing to her. To hear him laugh meant that he was having a good time. It meant that he wasn't in pain. It meant that he was recovering.

"Thought, I thought they'd never leave," He continued nervously, scratching his cheek a bit.

"You wanted them to leave?" She was a bit surprised at this as she asked him.

"Well...yes and no," He grew even more nervous, "It's...well, it's embarrassing but it felt...stuffy."

Zhu Fan'Hua was silent, but she felt like she understood. Around others she felt like she was being constrained. As if the walls were closer than they actually were. It was only around those she trusted and cared for that she felt free of such constraints. Suyin, Miss Su, and...An'Shen.

Her family, of course, were part of that, but back home with all the political intrigue it was suffocating. Here, at the academy, she could take her time with her studies. She had some freedom here.

"But," An'Shen spoke softly as he calmed down a bit, staring out the window his face seemed almost serene, "Right now I feel...I feel like I can breath."

With that he took a deep breath, but almost immediately winced and coughed in pain. Zhu Fan'Hua tensed and resisted the urge to rush to his side.

"Ah...maybe not breath that much though," He stated as he laughed through the pain.

She wasn't sure why, but something in her was amused and she found herself laughing lightly. Holding her hand to her mouth. He was so ridiculous. He should have known his ribs would hurt if he breathed in like that.

"You should be more careful," She told him, her laugh coming to an end.

She noticed he was staring at her. It wasn't in anger at her laughing at him. He was staring in awe. As he noticed her watching, he averted his eyes and anxiously shifted around. He was blushing again.

"Y-Yeah...it was kind of silly of me," He began to relax in his chair, staring out of the window.

Zhu Fan'Hua eyed An'Shen. A sense to protect him developed into a feeling of preciousness. Perhaps even...possessiveness. The reason she felt uncomfortable with Sima Ai'Li and Sima Chen being around him. She was a possessive person, but not unreasonable.

Suyin and Miss Su were her people, on top of that they knew An'Shen. Miss Su being the one who cared for him as a child. To her, they were important. Sima Ai'Li and Sima Chen were unknowns. Would they also do what needed to be done for him? Anything she believed to be hers she would protect and care for. Even putting her life on the line.

An'Shen was incredibly precious to her. Could they protect him when she couldn't? Down to their very lives? Could she trust them with that? She knew she could trust Suyin and Miss Su with it, and even Lord Yi'Dao. After all, he risked a war over An'Shen.

There was a lot that was becoming clear for her now. Her actions now given meaning. Her first friend and first love. She would do what it took to win him over.

She wouldn't rush, of course. She was patient. He had healing to do. Yet, that didn't mean she had to stop what she was doing. To stop caring. No matter how long it took. When she decided something or someone was hers, then it was.
    -----

I felt safe when I was around Zhu Fan'Hua. Her presence was soothing and I could exist without fearing reprisal. Her silent nature didn't bother me. She spoke through her actions.

When food was needed, she'd bring me to eat. When I wanted to join her for a walk, she'd wait for me to catch up. She'd stay at my pace. When I needed rest, she would wait.

Just like now when I sat here, resting in the chair across from her, I found that she didn't pressure me to speak. In fact, something caught my eye that made me incredibly happy. I had thought she wouldn't like it, but in fact...she was wearing the bracelet.

"So...does the bracelet fit?" I asked, wondering about it.

As if snapped from a trance her impassive face turned towards her wrist and the bracelet. I could swear I saw a small smile on her face as she nodded.

"Yes," She answered softly, "It fits perfectly. Thank you for the gift."

"Well...it was your money, so..." I laughed awkwardly as I still felt silly about it, "I guess thank you?"

She definitely did smile then, it was more of a smirk than a smile. She was slightly amused.

"I suppose so," She answered quietly, pushing herself up from the windowsill, "...An'Shen. Do you...want to become stronger?"

The question caught me off-guard as she asked it. It felt like a blow to my chest.

"I...you know I can't," I responded, feeling rather dejected as I looked at the ground.

"If you could," She insisted, her cool voice seemed rather serious, "Would you want to?"

Looking up at her, she was watching me. Her eyes were assessing my reactions. It was a painful subject to talk about.

"I...Why do you bring it up now?" I asked, feel the weight in my chest grow.

"...I do not ask to give you false hope," She answered me and I found myself watching her, her gaze unwavering, "If you could, would you?"

"I...I don't know," I answered, unsure about it myself, "I don't mind...being weak. I guess, it would be nice to protect myself and those I care about, but..."

"But?" She prodded, urging me to answer.

It was embarrassing. I had wanted to get stronger if only to protect myself. I never had any real aspirations. Perhaps just enough to escape the Li'Yu Family. Yet, now I was away from them. Did I need to be strong?

"...After all, I have you," I found my mouth speaking what I tried to keep inside.

Immediately I froze and felt my entire body heat up. If I could blush I'd be red all over. That was what was embarrassing. After she saved me I had a thought to myself.

"It's not horrible...being protected like this."

A simple thought but it got me thinking. If I somehow, through some miracle, was able to become strong...would I want to? As I glanced up at Zhu Fan'Hua to get her reaction, I found her looking away.

"Did I...say something wrong?" I asked, worried I had upset her.

I thought for a moment that there was red in her cheeks, but I must have been seeing things. As she turned back towards me her face was completely normal.

"No," She answered, shaking her head, "I was just...caught off-guard."

I could hardly believe that she was caught off-guard. Yet, if she was then I wondered why. Was she not expecting me to say something like that? She was incredibly strong.

"I just..." Anxiety coursed through my heart, "I hope you don't mind...if I rely on you."

It was a relief when Zhu Fan'Hua shook her head.

"Not at all," She answered, "Don't be afraid to do so."

Her words caused my heart to warm. Smiling a small smile I couldn't help but fidget a bit. I was happy she allowed me to rely on her.

Ever since arriving I was worried that I was relying too much on her. After finding out that the card I've been using was hers I began to feel guilty for using it. On top of that I wasn't sure it was okay to rely on her like I did when she saved me.

Unlike when Sima Ai'Li and Sima Chen saved me, there was something different. Something that stirred in me at that time. In the moment and ever since I've felt incredibly safe with Zhu Fan'Hua.
    -----

His words touched her heart in a way he didn't realize. She didn't care if he was weak. She would protect him. The fact he believed in her was more than she hoped for. It caught her off-guard and caused her to blush. She wasn't used to such things.

She quickly regained herself. Everything she felt was reinforced. He wouldn't be able to escape that easily. Saying such words to her were dangerous. In that moment, she solidified her resolve.
    -----

7. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-Six:
    Her Way

Several days later, Zhu Fan'Hua once again found herself alone in the sitting room. An'Shen was currently in a lesson with Miss Su. Zhu Fan'Hua was thinking on the thought she had for the last few weeks. It was a thought that began forming ever since An'Shen arrived and she began to cultivate.

She had asked him if he wanted power. To become stronger. He had been timid about it due to the scars he bears on his heart. He has never been able to cultivate. He naturally progressed to Base Stage 5 as all life tends to do. Stuck at that bottleneck he could never break through.

Mana eluded him. His condition made it impossible. Yet, his condition also countered hers. The constant assault of mana became smooth and calm. So the thought had occured to her...what if it worked for him as well?

If being around him calmed the mana for her, then would it also have a similar effect for him? Would it allow him to feel and control mana in order to break through? She wanted to try, but without An'Shen wanting to she wouldn't push it.

Regardless of his choice, and whether or not it worked, she would continue to keep him safe. No matter what happened. Now that he was hers, she would do anything to keep him from harm. Even if it meant starting a war. The Royal Imperial Family be damned.

Setting aside all of that, soon he'll have to start some courses within the academy. While the Mystic Star Academy allowed their students to work at their own pace, they still had to choose a course of study. For An'Shen, that would be quite difficult.

Being unable to cultivate, any of the courses taken would have to be non-mana focused classes. These courses were often basic education and learning. Meaning, he'd have to be able to read first. It was one reason Miss Su was teaching him every day.

Still, even if he never took courses that would be fine. She'd make sure he stayed here.
    -----

The lessons were getting more difficult as I learned bigger and different words. I could finally read simple sentences and some mixed sentences. More complicated senses still eluded me.

Miss Su, however, was extremely patient with me. Something I was incredibly grateful for. She never forced me and I could go at my own pace. It was reassuring. I felt no pressure at all. It made learning a lot easier.

"Alright," Miss Su clapped her hands together, "That's it for today!"

"What? But...!" I exclaimed as she took the materials from me.

"No buts," She said, making it final, "You need a break. You've been going at this for hours. It's good you want to learn, but it's not good to do so without breaks."

With that, she almost pushed me out of the room. I was still recuperating, but they were a lot less strict about me moving around now that I could breathe a bit easier.

"Go on!" Miss Su urged me, "Get some fresh air in the garden. I'll have dinner ready soon, you can come in then."

"Alright, alright!" I laughed lightly as I made my way off.

Miss Su was incredibly caring of me. I often found myself thinking I didn't deserve it. Yet, it was quite endearing. I felt incredibly lucky to have her in my life.

As I made my way out to the garden, I found myself thinking that she wasn't the only one I was lucky to have in my life. Suyin and Lord Yi'Dao were two others that I felt glad were in my life. However, there was one other I thought of more than them. Zhu Fan'Hua.

Ever since I arrived she has looked out for me. Perhaps it was because I was so weak and was worried about me. Thinking in that way made me unexpectedly happy. The fact she worried for me just warmed my heart.

Everyone here, at one point in time, saved me. I still remember vividly how Zhu Fan'Hua looked that day. The power she wielded flowing around her. The fierceness in her eyes.

I soon found myself incredibly flustered and warm. Just what exactly was this feeling? Thinking to that day, and all other moments, it all felt so...nostalgic. As if to answer my curiosity, old memories began to resurface.

Moments from when I was a child. Specifically, the moments spent with Zhu Fan'Hua. A time when I was crying and she found me. I had thought she'd hate me, call me weak for crying. Instead, she placed her hand upon my head and reassured me.

She told me I wasn't a curse. Just like now. As I sit here, looking at the flowers and small pond, I could feel that same hand. Only this time...it was...real?

Startled, I looked up to find Zhu Fan'Hua standing behind me. Her cool gaze finding mine, her hand placed upon my head.

"Z-Zhu Fan'Hua," I stuttered, flustered, "I-I didn't notice you there..."

"I didn't mean to startle you," She answered, slowly removing her hand.

As she did, I felt a sense of emptiness. I wished she didn't move it. As I thought that thought, I felt myself growing warm again. Just what exactly was I thinking?

As I was thinking, Zhu Fan'Hua sat next to me, looking at the garden as well. She didn't say a single thing, but I was glad she was here. I felt...relaxed. Looking at her, I could see how sturdy she looked. As if I could lean my head against her and she'd not move.

"...Rest your head if you wish," She spoke as if reading my mind.

I felt my heart beat quickly as I shyly did what I wanted to do. My head coming in contact with her shoulder as I felt my entire body just...relax. As if all tension from the day and my injuries faded away. A light, clean scent entering my nose. It was slightly icy, yet calming.

"How did your lessons go?" She asked softly.

"...Good," I replied with a smile, closing my eyes, "Though, Miss Su forced me to take a break."

She didn't respond, but shifted a bit. As she did, I felt a lot more comfortable. A cool breeze blew across my face. It brought with it the smell of the flowers and trees. I would have to thank Miss Su later for making me take a break.
    -----

"I'll have to thank Miss Su later," Zhu Fan'Hua thought to herself.

She had come down after seeing him enter the garden. Figuring that his lessons were over, she went to see how he was doing. To hear that it was Miss Su who forced him to have a break made this moment possible.

As he rested his head against her shoulder, she refused to move. Only doing so in order to make them both more comfortable. A cool, soft breeze blew across the gardens and brought with it smells of nature. She didn't want this moment to end.

Yet, as Miss Su called them for dinner, it had to. Zhu Fan'Hua wasn't discouraged though. It would be a memory that would live on and, if she had her way, it would be just one of many to come. And she would have her way.
    -----

Last edited: Jul 4, 2022
  8. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-Seven:
    Bestial Studies

The following found Zhu Fan'Hua and An'Shen touring the academy again. This time, it was in search of courses for An'Shen to take. He had been learning to read from Miss Su for a while now and was getting better. An'Shen had decided that today he wanted to walk around more than just the house. They took this as an opportunity to look around when classes and lessons were in full session.

The whispers were numerous. Zhu Fan'Hua, the Black Lotus. One of the Academy Princesses. She was walking with a boy that was only heard about in rumors.

"Is that the waste?"

"No way...the rumors are true?"

"He's so...plain looking."

"What is she thinking?"

"If he's close to her, maybe I have a chance?"

"Quiet, she'll hear you."

"I'm not scared-"

Zhu Fan'Hua's gaze silenced everyone. "Pests," She thought to herself.

Glancing at An'Shen she noticed he was looking at the ground. He's said that their words don't mean anything. That he's used to such words, but obviously that was a lie. They still got to him.

"You've nothing to hide from," She spoke quietly to him.

"...Maybe, but..." He glanced up at her and then at the students, "What abour your reputation?"

She had to almost contain a laugh. Her reputation? She didn't care anything for it. Fools would talk. That's what fools did.

"An'Shen," She called his name as she hooked her arm around his and pulled him close, "My, reputation, is of no concern to me."

She saw him fidget, smiling bashfully. The way he blushed was incredibly cute. There were audible gasps and more whispers from the crowd. Yet, a single look from Zhu Fan'Hua was enough to silence them again.

She didn't care about the rumors or what they said. However, An'Shen did. She would not tolerate anyone besmirching him. That's when she noticed an unfortunately familiar face. Liu Chao.

He was watching with his group of pests from a distance. He had a look of disgust on his face which immediately turned to fear as they made eye contact. Like roaches, they scurried away and disappeared. They would be wise not to approach An'Shen or her again.

"...Well," An'Shen said softly, "As long as you don't mind, then it's fine."

He smiled up at her and she simply nodded. Making their way through the academy grounds the stares and whispers continued. Though they were smart enough to be a lot quieter about it. They moved out of the way and didn't make any trouble.

An'Shen held his head a bit higher as they went from class to class. One particular class he seemed interested in was of the medical course. Acupuncture and pressure points to be precise. It made sense to Zhu Fan'Hua. It didn't take a lot of strength to utilize. It only required knowledge and rough precision.

Unfortunately, it required one other thing to be useful against anyone who could cultivate. Mana control. Against someone trained, their pressure points were often protected by a hardened body and layer of mana that acted as a sort of armor. To bypass it one must be able to imbue their strike with mana.

It seemed that An'Shen knew that. While he was watching and listening, he had a sad, dejected look on his face.

"Are you interested?" She asked even though she knew the answer.

He nodded, "Yes, but..."

"...Mana?" She more stated than questioned.

He nodded once more as he sighed. Her prediction was correct. He knew that he would need mana to utilize it against anyone trained, but for basic medical knowledge it could still be useful.

"Well, it still wouldn't hurt to learn," She did her best to encourage him, "Even with mana, the knowledge is useful."

His smile brightened a bit as he nodded. They stayed until after the class was over and moved onto the next. Many of the courses he passed on because they required cultivation. It hurt to see him look so dejected.

While she would always protect him, she knew that he was sensitive to his cultivation. Her blood boiled thinking about what made him like this. All those years of never being cared for. All those years of being called a curse. He wasn't a curse.

Even if she didn't have this special condition, and even if he couldn't help her, he wasn't a curse. Those scars were rooted deep. Perhaps, if he could cultivate he'd slowly get over it. However, if he never could then perhaps coming to learn his value in other areas would help.

Grabbing him by the hand she knew just where to take him. He seemed interested in medical knowledge, but what about nature itself? Magical Beasts.

He looked surprised when she grabbed his hand, but otherwise said nothing. Following along until they finally arrived. The Bestial Studies.

"Z-Zhu Fan'Hua," He stuttered, flustered and confused, "Where are we?"

"Bestial Studies," She answered shortly.

"Bestial...Studies?" He stated more than asked.

The Bestial Studies course was a course upon which one learned about Magical Beasts. Creatures who have learned to cultivate and heightened intelligence. Some could even communicate and transform into a humanoid form. Though, they were rather rare and most often avoided humans.

The Bestial Studies course was set in a compound that was free roam. Meaning the beasts could roam around freely within. Most of the magical beasts in the compound were trained or bonded to Beast Tamers. A special type of cultivator who have unique bonds with creatures.

Of course, Zhu Fan'Hua was a bit concerned. He disrupts mana flow. If a bond is broken because of it, or one of the beasts sees him as a threat then he may be in danger. He may be held responsible. Though, she would do everything she could to protect him.

The compound itself was surrounded by large walls. The front entrance held statues of two beasts called Kirin. Their beautiful, majestic appearances captivated An'Shen. He was staring at the large statues and she noticed he was staring at something.

His mouth was silently moving. Following his gaze she realized what it was. Above the entrance to was the sign for the compound. She smiled to herself. He was attempting to read the sign. She was patient, waiting for him to get it.

"Magic...Bestial...Studies," He muttered as he got the first part, "The Taming...Compound."

"Yes," She nodded, praising him, "Magic Bestial Studies. The Taming Compound."

He seemed delighted that he understood the words and fancy writing of the sign. She found herself placing a hand upon his head. He looked rather pleased.

"Shall we go in?" She asked as he nodded in response.

Entering the compound they were greeted with a screech from a bird. A small red bird in a gilded gold cage blew fire from its mouth. Immediately An'Shen was taken aback. He pressed closer to Zhu Fan'Hua's side, hiding slightly behind her.

"...How cute," She smiled to herself.

"Don't worry," She reassured him, "It's a Fire Bird. A small one at that. Said to be cousins of the legendary Phoenix."

She explained as a young girl with curl brown hair tied back in a messy bun suddenly burst from behind a curtain door. She quickly quieted the bird. Wearing glasses which hid emerald eyes and a lightly tanned complexion. She was short with orange robed clothing.

"I'm so sorry!" She exclaimed, adjusting herself as she bowed before them, "Little Red is harmless, I promise. He's not usually like this...I don't know why...Oh!"

Her eyes widened behind her glasses as she took in who had arrived. The entrance to the Taming Compound was a large room with a desk at the far end. A red curtain door was behind the desk. Three other doors, besides the entrance, were set into the walls of the room.

Two were archways, one on either side of the room, and another was a door to the left of the desk. Little Red, as the bird was called, sat within his gilded cage which hung near to the desk. The room was a bit rustic with dark woods and a dim chandelier.

"A-A Lotus!" She stammered as she took in Zhu Fan'Hua, "W-What brings a Flower here?"

Her eyes soon drifted to An'Shen who was pressed up against Zhu Fan'Hua. Zhu Fan'Hua eyed the girl to make sure she was respectful. She was prepared for a comment of some kind, but instead the girl simply blushed and anxiously looked around.

"O-Oh, forgive me," She looked down at her robe and panicked, "Ah! Where is it?"

She began patting around her clothing until her eyes lit up. Reaching into the folds of her clothing she pulled out a pin of some kind. Placing it upon her robe Zhu Fan'Hua noticed it was a name tag. It read as follows: Assistant Tamer Youshan.

"I'm Youshan!" She greeted them with a smile, "I welcome the Black Lotus and-"

"Zhu Fan'Hua," Zhu Fan'Hua interrupted curtly, "Just use my name."

"Ah...y-yes," She smiled, a bit flustered, "And this is...?"

She looked towards An'Shen who was still watching the bird. He seemed rather fascinated by it. In fact, the bird also seemed interested in him. It was like they were staring each other down.

"...His name is An'Shen," Zhu Fan'Hua answered for him.

This seemed to draw his attention as she looked up at her and then at Youshan.

"Ah! Sorry, yes," He stepped just far enough away to bow slightly, "I'm An'Shen, it's nice to meet you..."

His eyes narrowed at the name tag.

"...Youshan!" He exclaimed rather proudly.

She was looking at him as if rather confused, but glancing at Zhu Fan'Hua she thought it best not to say anything. He awkwardly retreated back towards Zhu Fan'Hua.

"So...What can I help you with today?" She asked, soothing Little Red a bit more.

"We came to look around," Zhu Fan'Hua answered coolly, "An'Shen was interested in this course."

"Oh!" Her eyes seemed to light up, "You're interested? Really? That's amazing! Okay, okay. So, we can do one of a few things. We can-"

"Slow down," Zhu Fan'Hua stated, holding up a hand, "We'll look around. If you wish to be our guide then-"

"Of course! I'd love to!" She smiled and effortlessly hopped over the desk.

As she did, Zhu Fan'Hua noted that she was a head shorter than An'Shen. He himself was almost a head shorter than herself. There were very few who were as tall if not taller than Zhu Fan'Hua. On top of that, she was rather fit. Something she could noticed even through her clothes.

"Alright!" Youshan exclaimed, "Follow me! I'll show you around and even introduce you to some critters! They're quite delightful. Really, I'm sure you'll love-"

"Youshan," Zhu Fan'Hua sighed, "Relax."

"Right," She laughed, rubbing the back of her neck, "I just really love this place."

Zhu Fan'Hua could appreciate someone who was enthusiastic about their passion. She really loved this course and the creatures in it. To be excited about it like this was admirable. However, she could feel it overwhelming An'Shen.

He was clinging tightly to her as he looked at Youshan. Someone like this he had absolutely no idea how to handle. While it was rather cute how flustered he was, she had to reassure him.

"An'Shen, just tell me if you're overwhelmed, okay?" She whispered to him, squeezing his hand.

"O-Okay," He nodded and smiled up at her timidly, "Thank you..."

With Youshan in the lead, they began to tour of the Taming Compound.
    -----

9. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-Eight:
    Staredown

An'Shen stayed close to Zhu Fan'Hua as the tour went on. The first areas to be shown were basic classrooms where they studied different aspects of magical beasts. Often, these were findings and research papers that that'd go over.

From there, they even showed an area where some of the students stay. The Taming Compound came with dorms for those students who wished to stay close at hand. Youshan was one of those students, but her room was elsewhere since she also worked as an assistant here.

An'Shen marveled at the size of the are as Zhu Fan'Hua looked on contentedly. She was simply happy to see him take an interest in something. At least, he was putting in some effort to look around.

"Alright!" Youshan exclaimed, "This is the best part, alright?"

They were before a large double door that went all the way to the ceiling. The Taming Compound had extremely tall ceilings, about fifteen to twenty feet tall and almost just as wide. There was a reason for that.

"That beast grounds!" Youshan announced excitedly, "Otherwise known as the stables!"

With that, she easily flung open the doors and Zhu Fan'Hua watched as An'Shen's eyes widened in awe. A part of her heart warmed as she looked tenderly upon him. Just how much has he never seen?

The stables ceilings went several stories high and was an extremely large part of the compound. It was the smell that hit first. The smell of animals followed by the noise. Birds chirped. Horses neighed. Dogs barked. Cats roared.

Of course, they weren't all normal animals. No, these were magical beasts. Many students in orange robes walked about from pen to pen taking care of each animal. Most likely they were the ones bonded to them. All these students were beast tamers in some way, shape, or form.

"Follow me, stay close," Youshan explained, "While most of these critters are bonded and completely safe, you can never be too careful."

It was a rather serious side to Youshan as her tone took on a rather important tone. An'Shen nodded and they walked in. The stables were like a zoo in design, but with fewer cages. It was half outdoors and half indoors. The beasts were free to roam and move around as much as they wanted.

As they walked into the beast grounds all eyes seemed to turn towards them. It was just a passing glance, but for some they lingered. Recognizing Zhu Fan'Hua much like Youshan had. They made note of An'Shan, but a simple glance from Zhu Fan'Hua silenced them before they said anything untoward.

"Over to the left there are most of the dog-like beasts," Youshan motioned to an area where several wolf-like creatures were playing with a few creatures, "To the right over there are some of the cat beasts."

Glancing over showed an area with trees and rocks, several different types of cats were lounging around. Some played, some stretched, but otherwise they were calm and watching everything from their perches. Birds of many kinds flew overhead as well.

"So, what do you think?" Youshan asked, beaming rather proudly, "Aren't they beautiful creatures? Amazing, strong, and so mysterious. To think, some of them used to be regular animals at one time! Did you know that? Waaaaay back in their bloodline, they used to be normal, regular, everyday animals! But, one day they just bam came across cultivation on their own. Either through survival or adaptability! Isn't it amazing? It's-"

"Take a breath," Zhu Fan'Hua interrupted, quite impressed by her enthusiasm.

"Ah...sorry," She smiled bashfully, blushing a bit, "It's just all so fascinating. Much like how we humans learned cultivation, animals did as well. Some even gaining heightened intelligence. It's all just...amazing."

Zhu Fan'Hua found the creatures to be somewhat fascinating herself. Capable of harnessing mana in a way that, most often, surpassed that of what a human could do. It was a shame that there were those who hunted them. Unlike humans, magical beasts had a "core" inside of them.

This core was often sought after to help with cultivation. Often even unlocking unique properties should you be compatible. Of course, many beast tamers resented this practice. In their eyes, you could get the same benefits by bonding with them.

It's a debate that has gone on for many years and would never end. Which is why places like this existed. A place to learn about them and a place to protect them. Of course, there were some exceptions. Such as those beasts that attacked humans and were otherwise menaces to their ecosystems.

That being said, there were no specific laws protecting such creatures. Often, it was the law of the jungle out there. If you kill a magical beast and its pack, partner, or others of its kind hunt you down...that's on you. You take the risks of your decisions.

"...They are really amazing," An'Shen's small, quiet voice spoke up for the first time since the tour began.

Youshan was surprised but quickly recovered. Her smile was genuine as she nodded.

"I'm glad you think so!" She was really proud and seemed happy at his words, "Are there any you particularly want to see?"

"N-Not really..." He answered, looking around, "I'm not sure...I-"

"Look out!" A voice suddenly called out.

The surroundings began to rumble as Zhu Fan'Hua spotted it. A large creature with a rough, grey hide. Two horns in a row upon its stout. One smaller than the other. At one time it was a rhinoceros. Yet, this was different.

It also had tusks like an elephant and fure running along its back. It was at least twice the size of a normal rhinoceros, and it was barreling towards them at high speeds. Zhu Fan'Hua didn't have much time to act and simply grabbed An'Shen.

Wrapping her arm around his waist she jumped away and out of its path. She felt him cling tightly to her and as they landed, he didn't let go.

"W-What is that?" He asked, his breathing heavy.

"...An Earth Rhino," She stated simply.

She didn't have time to explain more as the Earth Rhino turned down the avenue. Its destination, them. Zhu Fan'Hua narrowed her eyes at it. Did it turn on purpose? She couldn't be sure.

The Beast Tamers were immediately put into action as they tried to calm it down. One of the students was riding on the back of it trying to get it to calm down. It was Youshan. Somehow, she made her way up on its back and was currently trying to channel mana into it, but failing.

Glancing down at An'Shen, he was incredibly afraid. She realized then that they were having trouble because of him. Yet, his safety was the priority.

"Hold on..." She ordered and once again jumped to avoid its path.

However, once again it turned and was barreling down on them.

"Damn it!" Youshan exclaimed, "Can't a single one of you do anything?"

She shouted to the other students who were trying desparately to calm the creature. No matter what they tried, it didn't work. It was aimed and focused. Zhu Fan'Hua knew its target by now. This was the second time it turned.

"An'Shen..." Zhu Fan'Hua stated, her tone growing cold, "Stay behind me."

With that, she stepped in front of him, the air growing cold.
    -----

Everything had been going so well. I was nervous, of course, but everything looked amazing. The Fire Bird and the classrooms. Even what they called the stables, or beast grounds.

Then, I found myself being moved out of the way of a rampaging creature. For some reason it was focused in on us. Perhaps...on me. Did I upset it with my presence? It was something I had been worried about.

If I interrupted their mana, then what would happen? Perhaps this was retribution against me. I couldn't keep living so carefree. I knew that. After all, I was a cur-

"An'Shen..." Zhu Fan'Hua spoke, her voice cool and collected, "Stand behind me."

Those words sent shivers down my spine and pierced through my heart. It was just like back then. The time she saved me. The time she protected me. The air was growing cold.

Zhu Fan'Hua was staring down the beast. It was getting closer. Youshan was shouting to move, but Zhu Fan'Hua held her ground. All I could do was stare at her back. I should be scared. I should be running. Yet, as I looked upon Zhu Fan'Hua and heard her words, I knew. I was safe.

Closer the beast got, and colder the air around me became. A comforting chill. Her hair and clothes swirled from the power collecting around her. No matter how close it got she never moved an inch.

Slowly, she raised a single hand.
    ------

10. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-Nine:
    Unexpected Arrival

Zhu Fan'Hua wasn't scared. Her heart was steady. This creature dared target something precious to her. If it had any self-preservation instincts, then it would know danger.

Closer it got, but she moved not an inch. Behind her was something she had to protect. She would protect. Youshan shouted at her to move, but she ignored it. That creature would stop one way or another.

Raising a single hand towards it, she stared it down. Mana flowed smoothly around her. It felt so...freeing. To be pain free she could utilize all she had. It all happened in a flash of ice, dust, and wind.

An explosion of power. An icy chill and a blast of earth. As the dust settled the outcome was obvious. Mere centimeters from death was the Earth Rhino. A large ice spear floated steadily in the air above Zhu Fan'Hua's outstretched hand. The point of which stopped centimeters from its eye.

Everything was completely still. It had come to a skidding halt just in time. If it had been slower to react its eye and then brain would have been pierced. Now, they simply stared one down. Its dark eyes staring down into her icy gaze.

Recognizing its greater, the Earth Rhino bent a knee until its face was completely on the ground. Like some overgrown puppy. A smirk appeared across her face.

"Good," She muttered, staring it down, "Now...go back."

Her words were an order and it obeyed. Slowly it made its way back along with several of the students leading it home. Before it left, Youshan jumped down and looked around. Everyone was staring, watching and stunned.

Even the other creatures were watching, and everything was silent. Without a second more wasted, Zhu Fan'Hua turned towards An'Shen. He was staring at her in awe, a bit out of it.

"Are you alright?" She asked as she began to examine him.

Checking him over she was pleased to find that he was unharmed. All the while he simply stared at her. Standing in front of him she was beginning to grow a bit concerned. He hadn't said anything.

"An'Shen? Are you alrig-" She barely got the words out of her mouth before his arms were around her in a firm hug.

His arms tightening around her as he buried his head into her chest. She began rather self-conscious, but quickly overcame it. Her own arms embracing him against her. Wrapping her arms around his head as she let him take his time.

"...Thank you," He muttered softly, "I'm glad...you're okay."

It was amusing he thought she would be hurt by such a creature.

"Of course I'm okay," A short laugh escaping her lips, "A creature like that is nothing."

"Honestly..." He whispered, "You're amazing."

She felt a warmth build in her as she relaxed. He was safe and that's all that mattered. After a while he let go of her and she did as well, although reluctantly. Youshan was ordering several of the students around in repairing the damages to the ground. Cleaning up what debris was left behind.

"Alright..." Youshan breathed, glancing over to the two of them, "I'm sorry about that...I honestly don't know what got into them."

"I-It's alright..." An'Shen reassured, "I'm just glad no one got hurt..."

Youshan nodded, walking closer to them.

"So...did you still want to continue the tour?" She questioned, dispirited.

Zhu Fan'Hua looked towards An'Shen who seemed to be still a bit shaken from the experience. He clung to her bravely, but ever so slightly he was shaking.

"No, we'll-" She asserted, but was cut short.

"Yes," An'Shen insisted, interrupting her, "I...want to see more."

Noticing the look in his eyes, Zhu Fan'Hua had nothing more to say. There was a determination there that she couldn't step on.

"...Very well," Zhu Fan'Hua found her placing a hand on the top of his head, "Youshan, continue the tour."

She looked towards the girl whose eyes were wide with surprise.

"A-Are you sure?" She asked, bewildered, "I mean...yes. Yes! Alright! This way then!"

She beamed brightly and the spirit she had lost came back almost immediately. Zhu Fan'Hua wondered at how many avoided the Taming Compound and its courses because of such dangers. How much she seemed to love these creatures and became saddened when others were scared away. She must be feeling relieved that they didn't leave.

"S-So..." Youshan glanced back at them, "If you don't mind, I'll introduce you to some of the more...relaxed creatures."

An'Shen nodded as they made their way over to a clearing. Green grass and a decent sized pond decorated the area. Trees and rocky outcroppings also accentuated the edges of the clearing. Within there were many creatures, mostly catlike.

They were lounging around lazily. Some glanced up as they entered, but for the most part they went on with their day. That was until An'Shen stepped into the clearing. Almost immediately they reacted. Some of them hissed and raised their hair. Others perked up and ran away.

"...Ah," An'Shen sighed, saddened, "I thought this might happen."

Zhu Fan'Hua felt a pain in her chest as he said this. There was this possibility, but for it to become reality was disheartening. Youshan was watching quietly before turning towards the creatures.

"Alright you lot!" She shouted out.

There was a power to her voice. The voice of a tamer. It was a bit disorderly because of An'Shen, but so perfected that it still held its shape. She was incredibly skilled.

"Attendance!" She shouted again, the same power expelling from her voice.

Almost reluctantly the creatures made their way over before her. Hands on her hips as she glared at all of them. They each lined up and looked rather cowed.

"She's good," Zhu Fan'Hua praised in her head.

Youshan commanded the creatures with expertise. Even with An'Shen's presence, her control over the mana in her voice was so precise and fine that it hardly mattered. It took a lot to impress Zhu Fan'Hua, and this was impressive.

"There," Youshan grinned back at them, "They should be docile. An'Shen, come here."

She reached out her hand towards him. Zhu Fan'Hua suppressed her possessiveness as she motioned for him to go on. He looked up at her, unsure. Yet, with her nodding reassurance he slowly made his way over. His hand taking Youshan's.

Narrowing her eyes, Zhu Fan'Hua watched them closely. Her emotions calmed as Youshan knelt down with An'Shen and began explaining the different creatures before them. As she helped him to pet and get closer to them. After all, it was hard to be angry over something so small when he had such a delighted expression on his face.

The moment his hand touched the white fur of one of the cats his eyes lit up.

"So soft!" He exclaimed, a pure smile on his face, "So warm!"

He smiled as he continued to pet what was a Long Furred White Leopard. Of course, it seemed a bit wary of him, but more than that its eyes caught Zhu Fan'Hua's gaze. She was watching it like a hawk. Youshan may have called them over, but it was Zhu Fan'Hua keeping them in line.

"I'm not sure why they're acting this way," Youshan sounded worried, "I mean..."

She looked at An'Shen then at Zhu Fan'Hua. It was like she was contemplating things. Mulling something over. Zhu Fan'Hua had a thought as to what it was.

"You know, even I hear rumors..." She finally expressed, "A rumor about-"

Before she could say another word the cats puffed up. In a sudden burst of movement, they bolted. An'Shen was knocked over from the force and immediately Zhu Fan'Hua was there to catch him.

"Are you alright?" She asked calmly.

"T-Thank you," He breathed, smiling bashfully, "Yes, I'm fine, but..."

Looking towards where the cats were, Youshan's gaze was fixed on a specific point. Every single cat was gone, save one. A lone cat in the center of the clearing just a few yards from them. Barely bigger than a regular house cat.

Its body was pitch black with a dark orange underside. It's tail, as long as its body, flicked back and forth. The fur around its mouth and chin was beige. Long tufts of beige hair flowed back from the sides of its face, fading into the same pitch black as its body. Tufts of beige and dark orange hair filled its ears.

Its eyes a deep amber had an intelligence unlike the others. It was looking at them...No, at An'Shen. Immediately Zhu Fan'Hua reacted, but stopped short as An'Shen held her by the sleeve. Looking down at him she saw him captivated. His eyes not leaving the cat.

"...Youshan," Zhu Fan'Hua called out coolly, "What is that?"

"...That shouldn't be here," Youshan responded, backing up several steps, "I didn't...Did we have that here?"

"What...is it?" Zhu Fan'Hua repeated.

"...Mao Long," Youshan answered, breathless, "It's a fucking Mao Long..."
    -----

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  11. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Thirty:
    Contract

"Child," The voice resonated in my head.

It almost seemed to purr when it spoke. The moment it appeared I was captivated by it. It just...stared at me. Then, it spoke. A simple word. Child.

Zhu Fan'Hua went to reacted, but I held her back. I felt no danger from this creature. It was rather magestic. Besides the long, flowing tufts of hair from its face, the rest of it had short to medium length hair. The colors blending together in such an ombre way.

"Interesting," The voice spoke again, "The mana...you disrupt it."

I swallowed hard, feeling slightly guilty.

"Ah..." I muttered, "Sorry about that..."

"An'Shen?" Zhu Fan'Hua questioned, "Why are you apologizing?"

"Oh!" I looked up at her, realizing I said that outloud, "N-Nothing, I..."

Looking towards the cat it took several steps towards me.

"Come," It beckoned.

"You have nothing to apologize for," Zhu Fan'Hua assured me, unaware of the conversation I was having.

"Y-Yeah..." I smiled akwardly, "I just...thank you."

I smiled up at her before looking back towards the cat. Taking several steps towards it, Zhu Fan'Hua held me back. Even Youshand put an arm out to stop me.

"An'Shen," Zhu Fan'Hua cautioned.

"You shouldn't get too close," Youshan warned, "It's a Mao Long..."

"Mao Long?" I looked at them both in confusion, "I don't know what that is, but...it doesn't seem to be bad, right?"

Their eyes returning to it as an obvious tension filled the air. Placing a hand over Zhu Fan'Hua's that held me, I squeezed it reassuringly.

"Trust me," I whispered with a small smile.

"Come," It beckoned again.

"An'Shen," Youshan called to me, "You really shouldn't-"

Zhu Fan'Hua held up a hand, silencing her. Looking at her, Zhu Fan'Hua was watching me. Her eyes looking deep into mine. It was almost embarrassing. Yet, after a moment, she nodded.

"I trust An'Shen," She stated, "However..."

I nodded to her, "I know...and I trust you as well."

I smiled up at her as she reluctantly let go of me. The Mao Long was waiting patiently. It had even sat back on its hind legs. Currently, licking its front right paw. Its long tail swishing back and forth.

Cautiously, I made my way towards it. The words it spoke seemed simple. Yet, there was intelligence there. It didn't speak in full sentences, but it was aware enough to tell that I disrupt the flow of mana. Was it upset?

If so, why did it beckon me? Why did it not attack like the Earth Rhino? Why did it not grow angry like the other cats? I was curious, so I decided to listen to it.

As I grew closer it stopped grooming itself and looked up at me with expecting eyes. Kneeling down, my hand reaching out to it slowly. Mere inches from it, its snout reached up, sniffing at my hand.

Everyones breath, including my own was held. Would it like me? Youshan had to help me with the others, but this time I was on my own. I waited for several moments as it sniffed my hand.

"Good," It voiced, almost purring, "Contract."

I let out an audible breath as it rubbed its face against my hand then. Beckoning me to pet it. I even heard Youshan and Zhu Fan'Hua let out a breath of relief as well. Sitting on the ground, I began to pet it as it paced back and forth under my hand.

"Contract," It said again, much to pain in my heart.

"I...Can't," I whispered to it, "I can't use mana..."

"Can't?" It stopped, looking up at me, tilting its head, "Contract."

"I-" Before I could get another word out, it pounced.

Before anyone could react the Mao Long headbutt me. Its face coming into contact with my forehead. I felt an intense pain run through my body. It was different from anything I ever felt before. It was as if all my veins were on fire.

A blinding light exploded out from where it made contact with me as I fell back. The pain wracked my body as I writhed on the ground. I could hear nothing except the words in my head.

"Contract! Contract!" It sounded so happy as it pranced back and forth on my chest.

It was the last thing I remembered before blacking out.
    -----

A blinding light took Zhu Fan'Hua by surprise. Once again, she had let her guard down. The sound from the explosion of light caused her hearing to be disoriented. That creature attacked An'Shen, she was sure of it.

As the blindness wore off her heart immediately sunk. Her hearing came back and all she could hear was An'Shen screaming in agony. That creature was nowhere to be seen. What did it do to An'Shen?

She had no time to think about that as she rushed to his side. It was the first time she ever expressed such worry on her face. He was writhing on the ground in pain and she could do nothing about it. His body was burning up, but no matter how she tried to cool it down using Ice Techniques, they evaporated almost immediately.

"Ha...A contract..." Youshan muttered, breathless, "Haha...a contract with a Mao Long..."

Youshan was on the ground, propping herself up with her arms as she stared bewildered at An'Shen and where that creature was. She was completely out of it and would be no help.

Just where was that creature? Zhu Fan'Hua would not let it escape after putting An'Shen in this much pain. He was burning up and...a sudden dawning came over her. She almost didn't realize because she had bypassed this entire stage.

"This is it..." She thought to herself at the realization, "He's breaking through..."

She had no time to celebrate because he needed help. Immediately. It was different from what she heard. With only one thing on her mind, she sat quickly in a comfortable, cross-legged position. Bringing her hands before her in a meditative stance, she began to gather her own mana.

He was burning up too much. Even if he was breaking through, this was something different from what she had been told and even seen. Perhaps because he didn't have the foundation, or perhaps...

Shaking her head free of the stray thoughts, she had to focus. Gathering as much as she could, an icy aura surrounded the both of them. She began to pour that mana over her. Encasing him with the coldest aura she could muster.

"Come on..." She urged, looking down at him, "You can do this...I'm right here. Just hang in there."
    -----

She wasn't sure how long it took. It didn't matter as long as he came out okay. Eventually Youshan came out of it and made sure the area was clear of anyone but them. Only they were privy to this moment. Them and the surrounding magical beasts.

She could see them, feel them watching. Hidden among the edges of the clearing in the trees, bushes, and grass. Yet, she paid them no mind. She had to trust Youshan to keep them at bay if anything happened.

Luckily, things went better than expected. Soon, his body began to cool and his breathing evened out. Still, she didn't stop encasing him in her aura until she was sure he was in the clear. Letting out a heavy breath, she near collapsed.

Whatever that was, it took a toll even on her. Yet, he was safe now. That's all that mattered to her. Reaching a hand out to his forehead, she brushed the hair from it. He was soaked in sweat, but otherwise breathing fine.

"How is he?" Youshan asked tentatively.

"...Stable," Zhu Fan'Hua answered.

Looking up at Youshan, she was bending over to get a better look at the situation.

"Youshan," Zhu Fan'Hua inquired, "Did you ever break through from Base Stage 5 to Entry Stage 1 before?"

Youshan looked quizzically at her before understanding the question.

"Yes, but..." She glanced at An'Shen before shaking her head, "Never have I, or anyone I know, gone through something like this."

"...Could it be his foundation?" She was searching for some kind of answer.

"I'm sorry," Youshan apologized, "I don't...I don't know, but perhaps one of the Masters might know?"

She was right. While she may be skilled enough to be an assistant at the Taming Compound, she was still a student like them. Zhu Fan'Hua stood up, lifting An'Shen in her arms as she did so.

Glancing at Youshan, she seemed to understand as she nodded. Together, they made their way to find a master who could help. Zhu Fan'Hua had just the one in mind. Master of the Mystic Arts and Cultivation, Shenhua.
    -----

12. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Thirty-One:
    Out of the Fire

"He didn't break through," Shenhua explained calmly.

Her serene nature came across even in the seriousness of these issues. Zhu Fan'Hua could hardly believe what she heard. Shenhua was the foremost expert in cultivation and the mystic arts. Even among the other masters of the academy, she was the best.

The words hit Zhu Fan'Hua hard. Like a heavy rock sinking in her stomach. She had been sure he had broken through. The enthusiasm and excitement she held began to fade away. Replaced by melancholy.

"...Then what happened?" She asked, "I know what I saw."

Looking towards An'Shen, he was currently laid on a bed in Shenhua's estate. All but his pants had been removed to get a better look at his body. His broken rib was yet to be healed, but it was doing better.

Scars of the past remained visible, much to Zhu Fan'Hua's anger. The Li'Yu Family would one day pay. His body was yet to be full like other boys his age. Malnourished as he was. Part of her felt a bit embarrassed to look at his body like this.

"I have no doubt of what you say," Shenhua motioned to Youshan with her closed fan, "As a witness confirmed it. Yet, he did not."

She glanced at An'Shen, spreading the fan before her face.

"Honestly though," Her eyes smiled from behind the fan, "What a unique child you've brought me. I wouldn't mind if-"

There was not even a heartbeat of a moment before an icy blade was aimed towards Shenhua. Glancing at her, Shenhua's eyes were playful.

"Oh? Now that's a scary face you're making," She teased, turning towards her.

They stared intensely at each other before Shenhua sighed.

"Now, now," Closing the fan, she smiled amused at Zhu Fan'Hua, "I'm only joking. I wouldn't take something so important to my dear disciple."

Zhu Fan'Hua knew Shenhua. She was one reason she came to the Mystic Star Academy. Partly to get help with her condition and partly to learn from her. In truth, Zhu Fan'Hua was Shenhua's direct disciple.

"Can't you help him?" She asked sharply, "It's been hours."

"Yes, yes," She answered, pressing her fan against the ice blade "Now, put this away. I'll see what I can do."

Shenhua laughed playfully. It was a light sound. Zhu Fan'Hua reluctantly lowered and dispersed the blade. With that, Shenhua turned to look for something to help.

Zhu Fan'Hua pulled a chair close to the bed and sat down. Hands clasped before her, she rested her chin on top of them. Her face impassive, but her heart in turmoil. Just what happened to him? And why won't he wake up?
    -----

"Contract! Contract!" A familiar voice danced around in my head.

I was in the dark. Where exactly was I? What strange dream was I having? Anywhere I looked was just pure darkness.

"Contract! Contract!" It echoed again, but this time I followed the source.

Looking towards the sound I saw it. That catlike creature. The Mao Long. It pranced back and forth over the darkness. Each time it "landed" a ripple went through the darkness like water.

I found myself smiling. At least, I think I was. Watching it prance about was rather cute. Yet, what did it mean by contract? I couldn't make a contract without mana. Since I couldn't control mana how would I make a contract?

Suddenly, there was a pain in my head as I began to see flashes of memories. The Mao Long pouncing at me and our heads colliding. My head continued to throb with pain.

"Contract! Contract!" It sounded rather happy with itself, "Done! Done!"

Done? Was that memory of them forming the contract? Why did it hurt so much? Everything felt like it was on fire. More importantly, how? How was the contract made when I couldn't use mana?

I didn't have much time to think on it as everything grew hotter. Flames began to rise in the darkness, but the Mao Long seemed unaffected and undisturbed. Jumping from place to place as it made ripples in the darkness.

It was as if the flames only affected me. As if I was the only one seeing these flames. Soon, I lost sight of the creature as the flames began to burn hotter. After that I could only bask in the agony of the flames. It was all I could do to remain even remotely aware.

As I began to lose all hope of ever fighting these flames, a coolness entered the area. Like a breath of fresh air. It permeated the flames and evaporated. I looked towards the icy particles dancing among the flames like stars in the sky.

Even as they disappeared, more replaced them. A dance of equilibrium. Something about the icy wind felt familiar. Reaching out towards it I felt myself enveloped by it. Wrapped in its embrace the flames no longer felt hot.

Perhaps with this wind I could put these flames out. Maybe even control them. Reaching out towards the fire it seared the ice and made it steam. My hand exposed to the heat suddenly stung with pain. Yet, just as quickly the icy wind wrapped around my hand again.

Over and over I tried, but each time was the same result. The ice would evaporate and be replaced. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't touch the flames without being burned.

"Calm! Calm!" The Mao Long's voice echoed in my head.

Was it back? Looking around I saw it. This time, it was no longer prancing. Instead, it was sitting in the darkness, a ripple created around where it sat. Staring at me.

"You relax," It spoke, watching me, "Relax."

Looking around me at the flames burning at me, it was hard to do as I was told, yet...perhaps it was trying to help me. Was this wind its doing? No, this wind was something else. Something more familiar. Something more...intimate than that.

The face of Zhu Fan'Hua flashed before me. This wind felt just like her. Suddenly, I felt the anxiety in my heart ease.

"Relax..." I thought to myself as I took several deep breaths.

Yet, as I did my lungs seemed to burn. The heat of the flames permeating my lungs as I inhaled. The icy wind moving in to protect me. I could do this.

Focusing, I closed my eyes and sat down. I had done so many times before when trying to cultivate. I wondered if it was the same. So, I entered a meditation. Calming my mind and breathing slowly.

With each breath the heat burned at my lungs, but the cool wind soon soothed it. Repeating this several times I began to feel the heat less and less. Finally, after I don't know how long, the flames were completely gone.

Opening my eyes all I saw was the Mao Long absorbing what looked like stars in the night. It was a beautiful, ethereal sight. Stretching like the cat it was, it began to curl up.

"Full," It spoke, almost with a yawn, "Sleep now."

With that, it rested its head on its paws and began to sleep. I was left along in the darkness. Only the cool, icy wind as company. Soon, however, even that disappeared.
    -----

My eyes slowly opened to an unfamiliar room. My body felt tired, ragged, and sore. A blanket covered me lightly and I felt weight on my left. Glancing over I saw Zhu Fan'Hua leaning on the bed. Our eyes met and I remembered an icy embrace in a void that felt like a dream.

"H-Hey," I muttered weakly, "Where-"

"You idiot," She whispered, interrupting me.

I felt a sudden pain from her words. Her hand reaching up and I instinctively flinched. She was right to call me an idiot. I walked over to that creature and ended up in this state. If she was going to hit me then I may deserve it.

I held my breath, waiting with eyes closed. Instead, I felt a soft hand upon my face. Slowing, I opened my eyes to see her face softened in worry. The pain from her words easing as I realized something. She wasn't mad at me. She was worried.

"You absolute fool," She spoke quietly, "What ever happened to relying on me?"

I felt rather bashful under her hand and the words she spoke.

"But...I did," I smiled sheepishly, looking away, "I knew you would help if anything went wrong. So-"

"Yes," She interrupted, her hand becoming tense against my cheek, "But if I wasn't able to? Then what?"

It was a silly question. I almost laughed, but instead I found myself smiling. Bringing my hand up to hers, I pressed firmly against it.

"Now that's foolish," I responded coyly, "Of course you'd be able to. I trust you."

It was like the words I spoke resonated even within me. A truth that I always knew yet didn't realize. I trusted her. Ever since I was a child I trusted her.

She had always been there for me even when I felt so alone. A stirring began in my heart as I thought back to our time together. Not just this last month or so, but also back then in our childhood.

"An'Shen," Zhu Fan'Hua addressed me, "I want you to do something for me."

"Do something for you?" I held her hand tightly, feeling my heart move, "What is it?"

Her eyes were fierce. Staring at me with conviction. A seriousness that I could not take lightly.

"Promise me," She requested, "Promise me you won't do anything this foolish again."

As I heard her request the stirring in my heart grew tighter, warmer.

"I will always protect you," She continued as she stared into my eyes, "But you have to promise never to put yourself in danger like that again."

Ah, the stirring in my heart. Memories of the past and present combining into a singular answer. The reason for the feelings in my heart. Everything made so much sense.

Ever since I arrived I had felt strange around her. I had thought it was just because of her beauty and strength. While that was a part of it, there was more than that. A feeling the went deeper. My first ever friend and...my first love.

A seed that was planted years ago finally growing roots and sprouting. In this moment I was sure of it. Everything she's done for me just made me realize it more. The more she did for me the more I was sure. I didn't feel this way around anyone else.

Yet, now that I knew this, what should I do? Was it okay for me to love someone like her? She was far beyond me. Not only that, but she was my friend. Would my feelings make things awkward for her?

"An'Shen," Her words cut through my thoughts, "Promise me."

Her words were insistent. As insistent as the beating of my heart. It was so loud that I wondered if she could hear it. In that moment I knew...I never wanted to disappoint her. I could only hope I never did.

"Alright," I answered softly, "I promise you, Zhu Fan'Hua. I'm sorry I did something so foolish. Still, I know you'll always be there to save me. To pull me out of the fire, so to speak."

I laughed to myself at my own joke. She really did pull me out of the fire. A sudden, light pinch on my cheek brought my attention to her once more.

"...You fool," She muttered, gently moving her fingers across the point she had pinched.

As she took her hand from my cheek, I couldn't help but agree with her. I was a fool in more ways than one. I fell in love with my first ever friend, and most likely always was. On top of that, I made such a person worried.

Yes, I was a fool, but in that moment, I was a happy fool.
    -----

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
  13. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Thirty-Two:
    Secret

"By the way," I asked, looking around the room, "Where am I? This isn't my room, or any room back home, so..."

"Ah, that's because you're in my home, child," A sensuous, serene void called out.

I felt like I heard it somewhere before, but couldn't remember where. As I looked towards the sound, I remembered where I heard it before. It was at the entrance ceremony where the masters were introduced. I couldn't quite remember her name.

A woman had stepped into the room carrying a tray of what looked like bottles of medicine. Her dark, deep purple hair was tied up and back in an intricate design. It resembled a flower, and also held many floral ornaments.

A long, flowing pink robe with white accents seemed almost ethereal on her. Behind her walked in Youshan who was pushing a cart with food on it. She wore her orange robes and seemed happy that I was awake.

"And you're...one of the masters, right?" I questioned, unsure of how to address her.

"Yes, I am Master Shenhua," She smiled, setting the tray on a table nearby, "You were out for quite some time."

"How long?" I inquired.

Attempting to prop myself up, Zhu Fan'Hua helped me. Placing a few pillows behind me for support. It was then that I noticed I had no shirt. Embarrassment ran through my body as I pull the blanket up over me, covering me even just a bit. A playful look arose in Shenhua's eyes.

"Almost two days," She answered, a sly smile crossing her face, "My poor disciple here was fraught with worry..."

In a rather strange fashion, Shenhua draped her arms over Zhu Fan'Hua, glancing at me as she did. I felt myself grow a bit warm and embarrassed. The way she leaned against Zhu Fan'Hua accentuated Shenhua's figure. Almost as if she was teasing me.

"Master..." Zhu Fan'Hua's cold tone permeated as I felt an icy aura fill the room, "Behave."

"Oh, so scary," She laughed lightly, "By the way, you should thank her, know."

Shenhua's gaze passed over me as she prodded Zhu Fan'Hua's cheek playfully.

"She was so worried about you," Her tone almost purred, "Carried you all the way here and even took care of you. Wouldn't let anyone near you. Not even her precious Master. Oh, what a cruel heart she has!...Oh!"

In a flash of ice and light a blade appeared, aimed at Shenhua. In a graceful fashion she nimbly dodged by jumping in the air and landing softly. Zhu Fan'Hua held the blade, glaring at her with a deadly look.

"Master..." She calmly addressed, "We aren't here to play."

"Oh, you're no fun," She waved her hand in the air, "Fine, fine...Here, take this."

Grabbing a bottle from the tray she tossed it over. Zhu Fan'Hua deftly grabbed it and dispersed the blade. Her expression softening as she turned towards me.

"Here...Take this," She ordered quietly, "It will help..."

I nodded and took the bottle from her. Opening it up I found that there were pills inside. Just like I thought, it was medicine. Emptying it out into my hand I felt a bit guilty.

"What's wrong?" She asked me bluntly.

"I...well," I glanced at Youshan and Shenhua before lowering my voice, "Medicine like this...is waste on me. It doesn't-"

"An'Shen," Zhu Fan'Hua's voice was clear, "That doesn't matter. Take the medicine. It's not a waste if it helps you. Even if only a bit."

A soft smile crossed my lips as I nodded. Her words were kind. I still felt guilt as I placed the pill in my mouth and swallowed. Immediately I felt an effect. I began to feel extremely warm.

"W-What is this..." I breathed heavily, my body feeling like it was on fire, "I...feel so warm..."

Zhu Fan'Hua's hand went to my forehead, feeling a coolness come to it. Closing my eyes, I simply focused on her hand.

"Breath," She ordered, "Focus on the effects. Just like meditation."

Listening to her instructions I began to focus around where I felt the heat. There wasn't much I could do, however. Without being able to utilize mana I couldn't effectively use the medicine. Still, with her help I was able to cool down and felt a lot better.

"Thank you..." I whispered.

She didn't answer, simply nodded as she took her hand back.

"Alright, you two," Shenhua mused, "Break it up, it's time to eat."

Something to her words made me embarrassed. I realized that we had been rather close to each other, but was that a bad thing? I suddenly found myself even more self-conscious about our distance.
    -----

I stayed in Master Shenhua's home for the next several days as she observed me. I came to find out that both Youshan and Shenhua knew about my unique condition. It wasn't exactly easy to hide even if I wanted to. Most would know the moment they tried to use mana around me.

Over the course of my stay the Mao Long made another appearance. There had been a stand-off between it and Zhu Fan'Hua. However, between me and Youshan we were able to diffuse the situation.

Both Youshan and Shenhua confirmed that it had made a contract with me. This came as a surprise to not just me, but Zhu Fan'Hua. It meant that she would have to be around the very thing that caused me harm. Still, as it curled up in my lap she seemed to accept it.

"So, what exactly is a Mao Long?" I asked Youshan while petting the top of its head.

"To put it simply..." Youshan explained, "It's a cat dragon. A rare species that often lives far from others."

"Is there a reason for that?" I wondered, looking at it.

"Well, I don't know much about them," She sighed, shrugging, "What I do know states that they are powerful. Even baby Mao Long's pose a serious threat to most."

It was strange. Looking at it now all curled up in my lap, I found it hard to believe that this thing could be dangerous. It was only because of what happened that I even remotely believed it. A magical beast capable of creating a contract even with someone unable to use mana.

On top of that, the memories of that dark place, though growing distant in my mind, still lingered. There was definitely something more to this creature, but for now it posed no threat to me. It even helped me. It was how I convinced Zhu Fan'Hua to calm down.

Knowing that this creature helped me made her wary, yet accepting. It was rather cute to see. Glancing at Zhu Fan'Hua, she was watching us coolly with her arms folded. Her impassive expression becoming a lot more known to me. As our eyes met there seemed to be some kind of understanding.

"I won't try anything," She reassured, "As long as you remain safe, of course."

"Of course," I smiled, laughing lightly.

I was beginning to hear small tonal insistences in her voice. It was as if her voice rolled its eyes. Like she was almost pouting.

"So...should I name it or?" I looked to Youshan for answers, "I don't exactly know how this works."

"Name? Name!" A voice sounded in my head as the Mao Long's head looked up at me, almost happy in its gaze.

"Does that answer your question?" Youshan laughed, "It seems like it wants a name."

A name? Just what should I name this creature? It was the first time I ever had to name anything. I never had a pet, and until recently I never even had a name. Was it really okay for me to give it a name?

"Name! Name!" It chanted in my head, beginning to sway side to side. "Give name! Give name!"

"Alright, alright," I laughed lightly, petting it on the head, "Just give me a moment...it's a big decision."

Honestly, I couldn't think of anything. With my mind coming up blank, I found myself reflexively looking towards Zhu Fan'Hua. Whenever I had trouble, I'd turn to her. As our eyes met, she averted her gaze. Yes, she was pouting.

"...Fine," She sighed, unfolding her arms, "How about...Taixu."

Kneeling down by the bed, she reached her hand towards the Mao Long. I was worried it would pull back, but instead it happily let her pet it. As she did, our hands touched, causing me to be overly aware of her presence.

"Does it like the name?" She asked, looking up at me.

Her cool gaze made my heart race. I could only smile bashfully. In my head, it was chanting again.

"Taixu! Taixu!" It purred under our hands, "My Name! My name!"

"Y-Yes," I nodded, not able to look her in the eye, "It's really happy."

"Good," She stated, looking back at Taixu, "Since you are An'Shen's bonded beast...We'll have to get along from now on."

"Get along! Get along!" Sounded in my head, continuing to purr.

"I think they like you," I teased, finally looking at her.

"Is that so?" She smirked, taking her hand back and standing up, "I'm going to check on my Master. Rest up."

I nodded, but was sad to see her go. Youshan also left with her. She informed me she was going to look up information on Mao Long in order to help me. Left alone with my thoughts, I continued to play with Taixu.
    -----

"So," Shenhua glanced at Zhu Fan'Hua, "You like the child?"

Zhu Fan'Hua stared down her master. She was astute as always and ever the playful woman. Even going so far as to tease her at any opportunity. They currently sat across from one another in a private sitting room.

"Do I have to answer that?" She asked dismissively.

"No, I already know," Shenhua laughed lightly, "But...Will it be okay?"

Zhu Fan'Hua's heart clenched at her words. There was meaning behind it. There was a secret that Zhu Fan'Hua had been keeping for all of her life. A secret that would turn her life upside down. Draw her back into the intrigues of politics.

"It's not a problem," She replied coolly.

"Isn't it?" She retorted, "I hear you revealed yourself at a restaurant. You must really like him."

"...They were looking down on him," She answered as if no more needed to be said.

"And how many more will look down on him?" She asked, leaning forward, "How many will use him to get to you?"

She leaned back, eyeing Zhu Fan'Hua.

"Does he know?" She asked bluntly, "Will you tell him?"

"No, he doesn't know," She answered curtly, "But, I will tell him. Eventually."

"Is that so?" She questioned her resolve, "And if you don't? It was a sloppy move at the restaurant."

"...I know," She admitted.

Shenhua looked her disciple over. Zhu Fan'Hua knew she was on her side. One of the few people who knew of her secret. Of who she was.

"Very well," She sighed, "Yet, when the truth is revealed, some may try to harm him to get to you. What will you do then...Your Highness?"

A cold aura entered the room upon Shenhua finishing that sentence. Zhu Fan'Hua despised that title, but she knew Shenhua was right. The words she said cutting deep. Shenhua smiled that annoying, smug smile. There was only one, simple answer to her question.

"If insects wish for an early death," Zhu Fan'Hua responded, the air around her chilling, "They need only ask."
    -----

14. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Thirty-Three:
    Her Rules

Zhu Fan'Hua had never liked the title that came with her birth. The Royal Imperial Princess of the Xiao'Wu Empire. Not because she wasn't proud of who she was, she was incredibly prideful in that. No, it was because of those who sucked up to her family.

Hiding behind fake smiles and even faker promises. They tried raise rank with the pretense of helping the "Poor Princess". They didn't care if she got better or not. After all, they could claim they did all they could for her.

In their eyes, all that mattered was if they could sell their lies. She was thankful that her parents saw through the bullshit. However, because of this they never got anywhere. For her safety and benefit they sent her to the Zhu Family at the age of 6.

They had no idea who she was. Suyin brought her there and spun a story about being the last of her family and in need of shelter. They immediately took her in and adopted her. Giving her the name she uses to this day. They raised her as their own. Never once questioning her origins.

When the truth was revealed, they didn't get angry. In truth, they had always known, or at least suspected. Yet, they believed there was a reason she was there. They had raised her as their own for all those years. She was their daughter no matter what her bloodline.

Her father, amusingly, even said he'd fight her real parents if they had a problem with that. She loved the Zhu Family as if they were her own, because they were. Nothing would change that.

She had, of course, kept in contact with her real family and even visited them on occasion. Still, for her safety they kept her identity a secret. Being away from the Royal Imperial Palace meant that she was also away from its protection.

Of course, should her identity be revealed, and should anyone attack her the entire might of the Xiao'Wu Family would be brought down upon whoever dared to do so. Though, they tried to not interfere in order to allow others to grow. Whenever they made a move, the entire world would shake.

Still, they were a benevolent family. Caring for the people in their land and making sure that everyone was cared for. Thus, they expect everyone else to do the same. Even making it one of the Imperial Edicts.

For this reason and this reason alone Zhu Fan'Hua had thought to bring the full might of her family down upon the Li'Yu for how they treated An'Shen. However, it was an unfortunate truth that he was only one person. A person with too much red tape attached.

She had to sit and agonize over his treatment this entire time. Lord Yi'Dao had figured out her identity quickly because of his own family. The Yi'Dao Family were the Royal Physicians. It was said that a genius of their family had separated from them to pursue his own path of cultivation and healing. So, when they heard of a "Lord Yi'Dao" they went to investigate.

Sure enough, he was the genius of the family which had left many years ago. He still kept in contact with most of his family. It was how he realized just who she was. The symptoms were the same as a patient that his family had before. A patient they couldn't cure, and unfortunately neither could he.

Because of Lord Yi'Dao she did not send the world into chaos. He knew the intricacies of the courts better than she did at the time. Had she brought the full wrath of her family down upon them the entire world would cry out. They would accuse the Imperial Family of overstepping. They would say they were abusing their power.

Even though the Li'Yu Family came close to breaking one of the Eight Edicts, they did not. Imperial Edict 4: Do Not Purposefully Neglect Your People, does not, unfortunately, include members of their own family. An'Shen was officially adopted by them. Zhu Fan'Hua could not make a move without them seriously overstepping.

Internal family matters were a very grey area. It was something that Zhu Fan'Hua always regretted. Imperial Edict 1: The Royal Imperial Family is Law. This Edict gave her the power to interfere, but as an internal family matter, it would again be seen as abuse of power.

Not only that, but she'd have to reveal herself. At the time she didn't know him. She didn't love him. To her, he was just some unfortunate child. Her heart had grown cold.

It was only during that month that she began to grow attached to him. Over time, without her realizing it, he had melted his way into her heart. It was because of this that she worked constantly to get him away from the Li'Yu Family. The regret building up inside of her for years.

She had been helpless back then. but now she was holding nothing back. She was stronger now and would only grow stronger. Her word was law. She had always despised her title because of all the proverbial red tape. Now, she would embrace it.

If they wished to take him from her, they would have to kill her first.

If they wanted to cry abuse of power, she would quell their screams.

She would never regret her inaction again. She would never allow herself to regret. She'd play by their rules, but they'd also play by hers. A cruel smile crossed her face. A smile that made even Shenhua shiver. After all, her rules were law. On her name, Xiao'Wu Shui, let them face the Martial Dawn.
    -----

End of Book One
    With this short chapter comes the end of Book One of Martial Dawn (tentative title). I hope you have enjoyed reading this so far. I'd like to thank everyone who has come this far and hope you will return once I release more chapters in Book Two. I may pursue other stories with a similar feel as well sometime in the future. So, if you enjoyed this story and the feel it has then look forward to that!

Will An'Shen and Zhu Fan'Hua tell each other their true feelings?
    Yes, yes they will.

The story of An'Shen and Zhu Fan'Hua will return shortly. Thank you.

15. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Martial Dawn Book Two
    Thank you for your patience! Here's the first chapter. The rest will be added shortly.

Chapter One:
    Challenge

It was a calm day like any other. Zhu Fan'Hua sat in her sitting room, staring out of the window. An'Shen nearby working on his letters and words with Miss Su. Taixu napped in his lap as he worked. So far, that creature had been quite amicable.

An'Shen had made a lot of progress with his recovery since leaving Master Shenhua's home. Two weeks had passed since that incident. Everything had been going well so far. He was eating properly and had gained some weight. Though he was still underweight for his age, but it was reassuring to her.

The last couple weeks saw them spending every waking moment not far from one another. She had almost forgot what it was like to feel the pain of her condition. It was all thanks to An'Shen. Still, she knew it was always there. The moment she would step away from him the pain would begin again.

It didn't bother her as she was used to it, but she didn't want to be far from him regardless. Her heart wouldn't allow it. It ached terribly as she glanced at him. The way his face contorted as he thought hard about something was just too cute.

There were so many faces that she saw of his since he arrived. Whenver he blushed he'd smile shyly, fidgeting in timid way. The way he held the back of his neck whenever he was in deep thought. The way he lightly pressed the top of his thumb agaisnt his lips and teeth when he was concentrating. He was trying so hard to learn.

He never asked for much and was always grateful for what he got. Even if he did think he didn't deserve anything. Miss Su had made him several more sets of clothes because he did not have many to begin with. What she had already created was just not enough. He was so bashful when he received them.

"Cute..." The one word that plagued her every time she saw him.

She was glad that he was better, but something felt off recently. The last two weeks saw him be extra careful around her. Blushing in his unique way anytime they got too close to each other. Just what was going on with him?

She always knew him to be timid and bashful, but it was as if it was amplified. Asking Miss Su about it just got her a knowing smile and shrug. It was something she had to figure out herself. Suyin was of no help either.

The moment she returned her report was just as expected. Bai'Li Fu'Rong loved her niece. Even if they were a family that would do almost anything for the right price, there were some things that you couldn't buy. The Liu Family would take a severe hit if not rectified.

Suyin has thus been busy watching the Liu Family and could not give her input at the moment. Whatever it was, it caused her heart to ache.
    -----

I could hardly look at Zhu Fan'Hua after my realization that I loved her. Every time I got close to her I felt self-conscious. She was stunning, kind, and strong.

"Gods is she strong..." I swooned inside.

Something about the way she always stood before me from any danger made me feel all tingly. I always recalled how effortlessly she lifted me. I wasn't exactly heavy, but she still did it so easily. To think she didn't do so once, but twice. It was a shame I was unconscious for the second time.

Glancing over at her from where I was working, I wondered just what she was thinking. The way she looked so calmly out the window felt almost ethereal. As if she was someone I couldn't touch. Yet, I knew if I reached out I could...but the thought of doing so caused me a great deal of bashfulness.

At the same time, I felt like if I did reach out she would disappear. If I told her how she felt would she feel disgusted? I wasn't the best in anything. Even now I struggled to learn how to read. I felt inferior in many aspects.

She was my friend. Would she not be repulsed by the idea? She cared about me, but if she knew then would that change? I was afraid of that. I didn't want to lose her.

"An'Shen," Miss Su interrupted my thoughts, "Pay attention."

"Ah! Sorry," I replied bashfully.

Looking back at the paper before me I couldn't help but take another glance at her. A light wind blew her hair softly. She looked so serene. As if she knew I was watching, she looked towards me coolly.

Immediately I looked back at my work. My heart beating fast as I tried to focus. This wasn't the time to get distracted. I hoped she didn't find my actions weird. I wouldn't want her to hate me.
    -----

His small glances did not go unseen by Zhu Fan'Hua. In fact, it was rather adorable to her. How he tried to hide his glances so bashfully. Her heart felt incredibly warm. Perhaps, he was finally seeing her as she had hoped. Though, a fear krept into her heart.

He was a timid boy. She was not timid. Though she had no experiences with these new feelings, she was not completely incapable. She was used to watching others. Figuring out their motives. She knew exactly how she looked. It could be said she was incredibly confident in herself.

So the feeling of embarrassment and even shyness was a surprise to her. Everytime he glanced at her this feeling would arise. This fear of "What if he is intimidated?". It was a fear that permeated her heart. Such a timid boy. She'd have to take the initiative.

Today, she would-

"You waste!" A grating voice yelled from afar, "Get out here!"

Zhu Fan'Hua's heart immediately hardened, her eyes narrowing in the direction of the voice. Liu Chao. He had the nerve to interrupt such a peaceful day. An'Shen was frozen. His eyes simply staring widely at his work.

Standing up, she glided over to him. Placing a comforting hand on his shoulder, he looked up at her. Uncertainty in his eyes.

"Don't worry," She reassured, "I won't let him do anything."

His smile was trusting, but his eyes were afraid. Motioning for him and Miss Su to follow her, they proceeded down to the entrance of the building. Taixu jumping up and curling around his neck. On their way, Suyin appeared beside them.

"Why did you inform me?" Zhu Fan'Hua asked, glancing at her.

"I was busy setting that up," She informed her, then shrugged, "So I figured it was of little concern."

"No...It isn't," She whispered back, "It just ruined a good mood..."

She was not blind to the sly smile of Suyin. She was quite pleased and amused at Zhu Fan'Hua's burdgeoning feelings. She was glad that Suyin wasn't around as often because of it.

"Waste!" Liu Chao continued to fume, "Get out here!"

"I would suggest," Zhu Fan'Hua threatened, "You not say a third time, or perhaps...you need a reminder?"

They all stepped out onto the front yard with Zhu Fan'Hua in the lead. Her eyes cold as she looked upon Liu Chao. He was surrounded by not just his four friends. There were several others there as well now. All with red strings tied to their weapons. The Righteous Sword.

"My, you even brought others to see your shame," She provoked, "You must like public humiliation. I believe I warned you of what would happen if you showed your face again."

The entire area grew cold as a blast of power knocked them all back.

"You overstep Zhu Fan'Hua!" An unfamiliar voice called out, stepping forward.

A young man with long dark hair like silk. Tied neatly and wearing exquisite light blue robes. He held a sword in his hand as he knocked the blast aside, yet seemed to stumble a bit. Looking at his sword in confusion.

"...So it's true," He muttered, glancing up and glaring at An'Shen, "You! Waste!"

Zhu Fan'Hua's eye twitched. That was the third time. A darkening storm cloud began to form over her face. So fierce was she, that this man before her even balked.

"Z-Zhu Fan'Hua!" He yelled, "This has nothing to do with you! We challenge that waste there!"

"...A fourth time," She muttered, looking down on them, "I accept your challenge in An'Shen's name. If you're willing to put your life on the line...Liu Chao. Liu Dao'Ma."

Her cold gaze passed over the entirety of the Righteous Sword. As if she dared anyone else to step up.
    -----

16. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Two:
    Confession

A silence ran over the crowd. No one wanted to step forward. Zhu Fan'Hua had just challenged them to a duel to the death. They knew of her strength. They also knew she was a direct disciple. Even Liu Dao'Ma was not her equal.

"You..." Liu Dao'Ma seethed, "So it is true. You ruined our Bai'Li contacts!"

"And?" She dismissed, "If you want to blame someone. Blame your younger brother."

Liu Chao cowered back, glaring at her.

"Has the Liu Family really cut ties..." Her gaze hardened on Liu Chao, "All for this? If anything, perhaps you should blame your parents then. They chose him over the contacts. A real shame."

"You...!" Liu Dao'Ma clenched his teeth.

"Is that all you know how to say?" She asked, "Then, if there is nothing else..."

She turned to leave, hand tenderly on An'Shen's shoulder.

"I accept!" He shouted angrily, "We accept!"

"Brother!" Liu Chao chimed in, fear in his voice, "I can't fight-"

His words were cut short with a glare from his older brother.

"She's right," He growled, "This is your fault. If you can't man up and do what's right, then I'll personally have our parents disown you."

A rather cruel, pleased smile crossed Zhu Fan'Hua's face then. It seems that one of them has some brains at least.
    -----

"...Zhu Fan'Hua," An'Shen asked softly, worried, "Are you sure...this is okay?"

He was fidgeting, worried. Placing her hand gently upon his head, she was pleased to see his shy smile, blushing in his unique way.

"I'll be okay," She reassured him, "After all...I broke through thanks to you."

His smile grew happier as he nodded. It wasn't long after they had returned from her masters house that she broke through to the Crystalized Stage. She had finally formed her Mana Crystal and the beginnings of her Mana Field around it.

To enter the Crystalized Stage one must solidify their mana inside a spiritual area called the "Mana Field" which lies in the depths of the Mana Heart. The Mana Heart being the very first thing most cultivators acquire in order to start gathering more Mana and growing stronger. From there, it is ones job to increase their Mana Crystal.

"Do you...have to kill them?" His voice seemed so small, almost concerned.

"Are you concerned about them?" She asked, glancing back at the brothers, "You don't need to. They've insulted you one too many times."

"I...I can take the insults," He smiled sadly, trying to act strong.

"An'Shen," His name sounded sweet on her tongue, "I understand your hesitation. If you wish it, I won't kill them. This is a duel to the death, however. They will be trying to kill me. If they succeed, then-"

"They won't," He said almost immediately, "I'm not worried about that."

His eyes were unwavering in his belief. Zhu Fan'Hua's heart felt like it would burst at the confidence he had in her.

"...Too cute," She thought to herself, only it was a whisper.

An'Shen froze, and for the first time she saw a slight red to his cheeks. An incredibly shy smile appearing upon his face. She felt herself suddenly want him. Even more than ever before. It was all she could do to pay his head one more time. Without saying another word she turned to enter the arena that had been prepared.
    -----

"Too cute?...Me?" My thoughts were a mess. Did she really just say that? I felt myself blushing more than I had ever blushed before. Was it even possible for her to find me cute?

"M-Miss Su...Suyin...I...Heard that correctly, right?" I asked, glancing over at them.

They both looked at each other, knowing smiles on their faces. So I was right. She really did say that. I could hardly contain my embarrassment. I was so incredibly happy that I felt my heart would leave my chest.

I knew I was blushing. If this didn't bring some red to my cheeks, then what would? I could only hold my face in my hands as I watched on the match.
    -----

Stepping into the arena, Zhu Fan'Hua felt the stares of the students. A duel to the death was no small matter. It didn't take long for the news to spread. Liu Chao and Liu Dao'Ma of the Righteous Sword had come to challenge An'Shen, and the Black Lotus Zhu Fan'Hua stepped forward instead.

They had planned to challenge him to a duel to the death from the start. Zhu Fan'Hua was no fool. They came at him a second time. This time in a bolder manner. So, she took the initiative first. They insulted him and continued to interrupt her peaceful days with him.

They would not get out of this unharmed. An'Shen didn't want her to kill them. She wanted to look back at him, but she if she did that she would not be able to look away. How could he react like that? It was so unfair.

"Prepare yourself, Black Lotus," Liu Dao'Ma taunted, "Once we're done with you, your boy toy is next!"

Boy toy? She pondered the thought. She wouldn't mind playing with An'Shen. She hadn't considered that before. Yet, the way they meant it didn't sit well with her. He was the only man she wanted. She would tease him, it was cute.

She had no experience with anything else, but in that moment she saw him react, she wanted him. How many other faces could he make? It was a wonderful thought.

"I don't like your meaning," She responded coolly, "He is more than anyone will ever be. I'll let this be a lesson to everyone. An'Shen...is mine."

The entire arena grew silent. She wanted to look back at An'Shen. What face was he making now? She refused to regret not looking. As she did, she was glad that she had.

He was staring up at her, his hands cupping his face. His entire face was red. The first time he had blushed, truly blushed. Miss Su was helping him to keep his balance. He must be rather dizzy from her words. Taixu prodded his cheek with one paw in concern.

Smiling a small smile, she turned back towards the brothers. They were staring in shock. She had just admitted to the entire academy that An'Shen was hers. That meant, he was under her protection. He was not to be touched.

Zhu Fan'Hua had a reputation. What was hers, was hers. The Black Lotus wasn't just because of her cool, distant demeanor. Nor was it just because of her dark, midnight blue hair. No, it was because people knew how vicious she could be when it came to something that she considered hers.

In the stands, she could see her Master, Shenhua, cover a knowing smile behind her fan. She knew that she wouldn't hear the end of this confession from her for a while. The other masters and several instructors seemed intrigued as well.

In the stands she spotted three others. Sima Ai'Li, Sima Chen, and Youshan. Somehow, they didn't seem as surprised. In fact, Youshan held her hands to her mouth.

"Kick their asses!" She shouted, the power of her voice carrying throughout the arena.

"Who said that!?" Liu Dao'Mao looked around in anger.

"Get 'em! Zhu Fan'Hua!" Sima Ai'Li and Sima Chen joined in.

It was then that the entire arena began to erupt in multiple cheers and jeers. Some praising her, some admonishing her. However, it was obvious of one thing. The majority of the academy was cheering for her. The Righteous Sword remained completely quiet.

They were worried and concerned at the sudden praise she was getting. It didn't matter if An'Shen couldn't cultivate or not. He was hers, and these fools decided to mess with that. They just couldn't leave well enough alone.

More than that, she smiled to herself at Youshan and the Sima Siblings. Perhaps, she could trust them with An'Shen. Though, first and foremost An'Shen was hers. So, she had to take care of the trash before her.
    -----

17. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Three:
    Quick Work

Zhu Fan'Hua had to take care of the Liu Brothers quickly. She could no longer wait. After her confession there was something she wished to do. Something she had to do. She had been passive for so long, but she was sure of it now.

Waiting was fine, she was patient. Yet, after his reaction she was sure of it. He felt the same. His timidness would never allow him to take the initiative. That was fine by her. He didn't have to.

Turning towards the brothers, she waited for the referee to start the match. A stillness appeared over the arena even as the crowd cheered. They stared each other down. The Liu Brothers glared at her while she simply gazed at them coolly. They would not last long.

"This match is between Zhu Fan'Hua!" The referee motioned to her, then at the brothers, "And Liu Dao'Ma and Liu Chao! A duel to the death continues until one side no longer lives or can no longer fight!...Begin!"

The rules were simple. If they could no longer fight, they lost. If they died, they lost. Even if they surrendered, the fight would not stop. A tradition set in honor. If you accepted or challenged someone to a Duel to the Death then you were prepared for the consequences.

To back out of such a fight would dishonor you and your family. It was a bit brutish in Zhu Fan'Hua's eyes, but it served its purpose. These two would know their mistakes this day. A third time would not happen.

They charged, running to either side of her. She watched them, unbothered. Liu Dao'Ma would strike first. Allowing his weaker brother to attack while she was distracted. It was a simple, yet effective in most cases. This however, was not most cases.

Her guandao, White Snow, appeared in her hands. The beautiful blade blocking Liu Dao'Ma's sword while the haft blocked Liu Chao's. In an effortless spin of her weapon, they were knocked back. She had not moved a single inch.

Her cool gaze taunting them. Liu Chao would strike first this time. His muscles tensing. She could tell. They were unable to use mana properly. An'Shen was still nearby on the edges of the arena. She had always wondered just how far his influence went.

"Are you sure you wish to continue?" She asked as she blocked them once again, "Neither of you can use mana. Submit, and I'll only injure you a little."

They glowered in response.

"It's because of that waste!" Liu Chao shouted, "He-"

Before he could saw another word, Zhu Fan'Hua had moved. Her expression terrifying. To those who looked on, they would say she looked like a demon in that moment.

An'Shen was incredibly sensitive to his condition. She would not have him spout it out to the entire academy before he was ready. On top of that, it was the fifth time this day that they called him a waste.

White Snow slashed through his weapon and his chest. A clean cut as he was sent flying back. A storm of ice and snow flowing around her. Her glare like that of the coldest nights.

"L-Liu Chao!" Liu Dao'Ma cried, "You bitch!"

A single gaze from Zhu Fan'Hua held him in his place.
    -----

"Young one, An'Shen," Shenhua's voice was calm, serene as always, "Would you mind coming with me?"

Looking up I saw Zhu Fan'Hua's master standing beside us.

"Ah, forgive me if I startled you," She apologized with a sincere smile.

"N-Not at all, but..." I glanced back at the fight, "I-"

"I know you want to stay here," She interrupted, looking at the fight as well, "However, if you do the others can't fight to their full capacity."

"...I know," I responded knowingly.

"I see," She smiled a rather amused smile, "But you see...She wishes to thoroughly make them understand. In order to do that..."

"...They need to fight at full," I answered, sighing.

"Yes," She smiled behind her fan, "You catch on quick. Honestly, I could just-"

Her eyes glanced over me to the arena. A sigh escaping her lips. Looking over I saw what she saw. Zhu Fan'Hua was glaring directly at her. Master Shenhua waved a dismissive hand at her in some understanding that I didn't know.

With that, I left with Master Shenhua, Miss Su, and Suyin. I still watched the match, only this time from a bit more of a distance.
    -----

Zhu Fan'Hua took her gaze from her Master as they walked away. With An'Shen now further from the arena they should be able to use their mana properly now.

"No more complaints," She told them, "The slice was shallow, but you need a knew sword."

Looking to the sidelines, those watching understood. Attendants of the match as they quickly got Liu Chao a new sword. Liu Dao'Ma helping him up as he fed him a pill.

"Now," She addressed them, motioning them to fight.

Immediately she saw a difference. Mana wreathed their bodies and swords. A wry smile curled her lips. They should have no more complaints.

The power around her increased as she wreathed her own body in mana. White Snow thrummed with the additional mana she poured into it. The Liu Brothers moved at faster speeds now, but to her it didn't matter. She didn't need her eyes to follow their movement.

Their shocked faces were pleasing to see as she blocked them once more.

"Did you think...we remained in the same realm?" She asked Liu Dao'Ma as she effortlessly pushed them away, "Just because you can use mana now?"

They glowered at her, but were not giving up. His blade began to take on an aura as he swiped the blade across the air. A blade of wind. At the same time Liu Chao thrust his blade at her.

As if she was never there, she disappeared. The wind blade striking his brothers blade, and then his brother. Snow Step. Light and graceful. Leaving behind an afterimage of snow.

"Brother!" Liu Dao'Ma shouted out again, "Damn it! Stop playing with us!"

"Playing?" Her tone was cold, "If I wanted to play with you...You'd not survive."

The arena was nothing but a snowstorm now. The ice and snow that billowed around her had increased. Stepping into view of them, she simply stared.

"No," She stated, tilting her head, "He simply doesn't want me to kill you."

"What?" Liu Chao sneered, "That's foolish! This is a duel to the death!"

"...I detest agreeing with you," Her gaze unwavering, "Yes, it is foolish. Yet, it is his wish. You should be grateful I leave you with your lives. Be thankful for his mercy. After this, think long and hard about how you react. There won't be a third time."

The ice and snow around them turned to blades. They could only watch in horror. Liu Dao'Ma had realized it already. She had broken through. She was stronger than both of them. Even stronger now than the entirety of the Righteous Sword. They could touch her. They definitely couldn't touch him.

One thing she could give him credit for, Liu Dao'Ma took the attack with grace. As the arena was cleared, all that remained was Zhu Fan'Hua. Bloodied, unconscious, and severely injured were the Liu Brothers.
    -----

18. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Four:
    A Taste of Sweetness

The winner had been decided unanimously by severe injury. If they were smart they would renounce their alliance with the Righteous Sword and live their lives without causing any more trouble. The Liu Family should seriously reconsider their position in the world. Zhu Fan'Hua had very little faith in them, however.

It wasn't something she thought on for long. Something more important was on her mind. An'Shen was currently waiting for her. The moment she saw his face, her heart relaxed.

He was happy to see her. His smile the only focus she had. Before he could say anything, she scooped him up in her arms. His reaction was worth it. Taixu jumped off into Miss Su's arms.

"Don't wait for us," She informed them.

Without a single look back, she took off. She had a place in mind. Something she had asked Suyin to set up. It was supposed to be for later, but the Liu Brothers ruined it. She would not waste any more time. That was waiting for them.

A confectionery in the city. Reserved and paid for by Zhu Fan'Hua. A private rooftop seating with plenty of sweets and treats to be had. Though, the most important one was already in her arms.

"An'Shen..." She spoke softly, "I hope you don't mind. I didn't want to be late."

He shook his head as he looked around wide-eyed at everything passing them by. The rooftop they landed upon was was decorated by flowered vines entwined upon arbors and trellises. A fountain in the center babbled lightly. It gave the entire area a park-like vibe.

A server was waiting upon their arrival, but was dismissed after ordering some drinks. This was her time with An'Shen. They didn't need to be around for it.

"I-I don't mind, but..." He asked as he looked around, "What is all of this?"

Her heart warmed as she saw the stars in his eyes. If she had missed this the Liu Brothers would have paid even more. After he was sat down, she joined next to him.

"A confectionery," She answered, "I was going to take you after your lessons. You've been working hard, and I thought you might like a break, so..."

His smile was tender, touched.

"Thank you..." He whispered, "I...don't know what I did to deserve this, but-"

"Enough," She interrupted, motioning to some of the sweets, "Please, try some."

She didn't have to say it twice. He immediately, although hesitantly, began trying to various sweets. Cakes and pastries. Tarts and wafers.

She watched as he tried all of them. His enjoyment giving her enjoyment. The cake she ate tasted sweeter with him around. It seemed that An'Shen enjoyed it as well. So much so that a piece of cake stuck to his lip.

Immediately, she had a thought. Reaching over, she gently thumbed the piece of cake off. His reaction was to be expected. Surprised and embarrassed. It was the reaction after that she hoped for.

Without missing a single beat, she licked the cake from her thumb. It was even more delicious than her own cake Licking her lips clean, she smiled as his face turned slightly red. His hand going to where the cake had been on his lip.

"Z-Zhu Fan'Hua, th-that..." He stammered, flustered.

"Something wrong?" She asked him, smiling a rather devilish smile.

"N-No, yes? I-I don't know," He was glancing about nervously, "I mean...you...What..."

"An'Shen," She stopped him calmly, reaching a hand up to his cheek, "Relax."

"But...I..." His face grew blank as he was too embarrassed, "Why do you do all this? I don't deserve-"

She had enough of this. She would make him understand. She loved every single side of him. The only one she remotely disliked was the side which thought he didn't deserve things. She would make him realize her feelings for him.

As he spoke those horrible words, she pulled his face in close to hers. Their lips locking midsentence. His words cut off as his eyes widened, but slowly they closed. His cheeks burning up under her hand as she held him tenderly.

She had never kissed anyone else before. Yet, she understood the concept. As she kissed him it just felt natural. A sweetness that the treats before them could not compare to.
    -----

An'Shen was a mess of fidgeting and blushing after the kiss. He could hardly bring himself to look at Zhu Fan'Hua, but she was content in this. Leaning on one hand, she watched him with an amused smile. If this didn't get through to him, then nothing would.

After several moments of flustering about he finally took a drink of water. Taking a breath, he calmed down only slightly. Only to relapse the moment he glanced at her. His hand floating over his lips.

"An'Shen-" She called out softly, but his hand coming up stopped her.

He held his hand up as he shook his head. A way to tell her that he had to think. His other hand rubbing the back of his neck. He was in deep thought right now. Her heart began to feel heavy. Did he dislike it? To her, she could still taste the kiss upon her lips. She wanted more.

"I..." He finally muttered, "That...You...Uhm."

Stuttering as he did, Zhu Fan'Hua felt a pull at her heart. Was it that surprising for him? Was he upset or...Before she could think anymore, his eyes were looking tenderly yet fiercely into hers. A pained expression painted his face.

"Are you...sure?" He finally breathed out, "I'm...What does this mean?"

She let out a light laugh, reaching up to his cheek. He flinched slightly, but did not back away. If anything, he did as he always did. Pressing his cheek into her hand. Only this time it was a lot more forceful. Something Miss Su said to her in private before rang in her head.

"Young Miss," She had warned after serving some tea, "Please, if you are serious about this...don't play with his heart. He is a tender child. The moment you show your feelings, he will crave them."

They echoed in her heart and mind. She had no intention of playing with her heart. Yet, those words had come to her in this moment because of his reaction. She understood the words Miss Su had said. He did crave it. He hoped for it.

"An'Shen," She spoke softly, "I have decided. You heard me back there. You are mine."

His shy smile appeared upon his face. He tried moving away from her palm, but she prevented him with her other hand. His face now between both of her hands. He had no choice but to look at her.

"I...But you're..." He fumbled around which was cute in its own way.

"I am me," She responded, "No matter what happens. I am still me."

She was saying that more to herself than him. After all, she was keeping a huge secret from him. One that tore at her heart. She didn't know when or even how to tell him that she was the Royal Imperial Princess, Xiao'Wu Shui. How could she?

He knew her as Zhu Fan'Hua, and in truth that's who she was as well. Living a life like this was difficult. She didn't want to expose him to it just yet. No matter what would happen, she'd protect him.

"You...are," He smiled softly, but sadly, "And I am...me."

He said those words as if they were the worst things possible. As if he was the worst thing possible. She knew he would react this way. A sly smile crossed her face then.

"Do I need to kiss you again?" She queried, "Perhaps the first one didn't get through to you?"

"W-What!?" He exclaimed, immediately blushing, "N-No...I mean yes, I mean..."

Without even hesitating, she pulled him to her. Their lips meeting once more. It was just as she remembered. The taste ever so sweet and tender. It lasted a shorter time, but afterwards she simply held him in her arms. Hugging him close to her.

"There," She stated, "Now that you're quiet...listen to me. I love you, An'Shen. I don't care about where you came from. The things others think about you. I don't care about any of that."

She felt him breathing heavily, his light body tensed in her embrace, but he made no move to leave. She could feel his heart beating quickly.

"The only thing that matters is that you know," She continued, whispering in his ear, "You're important to me. No, before you say it. It's not just your condition and how you help me. You're my first ever friend. You make me enjoy the things around me. Life with you is much brighter."

His breathing became a lot more relaxed, as did his body. His arms slowly wrapping themselves around her. She could feel it coming. His tears.

"I want to show you a life where you don't have to worry," She explained, her arms tightening around him, holding the back of his head as he silently cried, "A life by my side. You deserve good things. You are kind, gentle, and sweet. On top of that I think you're rather cute. This is the most I have ever talked...It's honestly a bit embarrassing, so-"

"T-Then..." He stuttered, lifting himself slightly to face her, "Don't talk. If this is real, then..."

He smiled, tears in his eyes, streaming down his cheeks. They weren't sad tears, but happy. His hands tenderly, shakily grabbing her head. It was the third time they kissed. This time, he initiated.

The saltiness of his tears mixed with the sweetness of his lips. Her heart ached, beating faster than it ever had. She would make a world where the only tears he cried would be tears of joy.

After the kiss, they stayed in each other's arms. Her hand gently playing with his hair, running through it. The lingering of their kisses would last long after. A reminder that would bring them back to this moment every time they kissed in the future.
    -----

19. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Five:
    Dear Niece

After the match between Zhu Fan'Hua and the Liu Brothers, people began talking. Though it wasn't about the match. The match was quickly overshadowed by something a lot juicier. A confession. Zhu Fan'Hua claimed An'Shen as hers.

The entire academy was talking about it. Everyone seemed to be in high spirits as they discussed the most recent topic. Students would talk about how they saw the two lovers, arm in arm, walking through the campus.

Others would claim they saw them kissing. Whatever rumors there were, one thing could be sure. They were never seen apart from each other. They would whisper among themselves about how good they looked together.

Of course, there were always those who were not content with the new change of status. One of the Flowers of the Academy was now taken. Plucked from the bouquet and out of reach of anyone. Only An'Shen had the privilege of the Black Lotus.

His status in the academy soon skyrocketed. Even though he was still just a Base Stage 5, the entire academy was talking about him. This time, in a more positive light. Some even claimed that he tamed the ferocious Black Lotus. The cold beauty of the academy.

It was a rumor that was soon proven false. Zhu Fan'Hua was still Zhu Fan'Hua. She was only sweet to An'Shen. Anyone else who tried to get close was still met with the same coldness as before. She knew who was just trying to get close to her for status. Others, however, were a bit more lucky.

A fan club soon arose around the two of them. The leader none other than Youshan. Vice leaders were Sima Ai'Li and Sima Chen. They organized everything much to the chagrin of Zhu Fan'Hua. However, An'Shen seemed rather touched by it, if not embarrassed and awkward. So there wasn't much she could saw about it.

The fan club was doing no harm, and in fact was doing some good. Bad rumors were being shot down quickly and anyone talking bad about An'Shen was quickly silenced. Even the Righteous Sword were silent.

The Liu Brothers were called back to their families to recover. Suyin informed her that they were going through some rehabilitation in how to act in public. Her Aunt also sent word as well. She had also heard about An'Shen. It wasn't a surprise, but it worried her. She didn't want news of An'Shen to spread too far. Luckily, her aunt had some tact.

My Lovely Niece,

I hear you've found yourself a nice young man. An'Shen is his name? I would so love to meet him one day. If you can, tell that daughter of mine to write me more. I hear from you more than her.

Sending much love,

You're Devoted Aunt, Bai'Li Fu'Rong. xoxo

P.s. Don't worry. I'll keep him a secret. My agents are already suppressing things from spreading. I hope that earns me some good Auntie points. ;P

The letter was just like her. Including the drawn face at the end. She was a bit eccentric, but efficient. Whatever her uncle saw in her, she wasn't sure. Still, they were happy together and that's what was important.

Still, reading the letter only made Zhu Fan'Hua groan. Her Aunt was a child at times. This made her daughter roughly the same. Bai'Li Lu'Zhou was her cousin and her aunt's daughter. They didn't have a bad relationship but seeing her was...exhausting.

Bai'Li Lu'Zhou was one of the Flowers of the Academy. The Blue Lotus. She was aloof from most of her classmates. Standing at the apex with a cool demeanor much like Zhu Fan'Hua. It garnered her a lot of attention, but this was hardly the truth.

"Cousin!" She shouted as Zhu Fan'Hua entered her home, "What brings you here-"

Her eyes immediately went around her to An'Shen. There was nowhere that she went without him. Ever. Her hand held his as he hid slightly behind her. He smiled slightly, waving a hand in greeting at Bai'Li Lu'Zhou.

As she noticed their hands connected, she began to pout.

"No fair!" She shouted, "I want to hold hands with cousin too!"

As if she predicted it, Zhu Fan'Hua moved her hand as she went to grab it. As she missed, she looked up at Zhu Fan'Hua, pouting even more.

"Unfair! Unfair!" She cried, pouting as she stomped her foot, "I haven't seen you in so long, and when I do you bring your lover...."

"Wherever I go, An'Shen goes," She stated coolly, walking past her.

Bai'Li Lu'Zhou had a home much like Zhu Fan'Hua. It was situated in its own walled compound. She ran to catch up to them, a big smile on her face. She was quite exhausting to handle.

"Well, that's fine!" She exclaimed, motioning them in and to sit down, "Still, what brings my amazing cousin here?"

She had tea prepared and a few snacks. She had a few more servants than Zhu Fan'Hua who only had Miss Su and Suyin. They moved about working, cleaning, and making sure that everything was in working order.

Of course, underneath all that was a deadliness. Something An'Shen seemed to notice. He was fidgeting, looking at them all in an uncomfortable way.

"...Tell them to relax," Zhu Fan'Hua ordered, taking a sip of her tea, "It's making An'Shen nervous."

"Woah! He can notice their killing intent?" She asked, shocked, "That's impressive for a wa-"

Zhu Fan'Hua immediately narrowed her eyes. Her own killing intent entering the room. Everyone except for An'Shen seemed nervous then. His hand on her arm, she relaxed.

"I-I'm sorry to have caused an issue," He apologized to which Zhu Fan'Hua shook her head.

"You are not the one who should apologize," She responded coolly, looking at her cousin, "Isn't that right...Lu'Lu."

Using her childhood nickname for her cousin, she froze. The only time she said that nickname was if she was really mad and Bai'Li Lu'Zhou knew it. Swallowing hard, she bowed her head and apologized.

"Forgive me! I let me jealousy overcome me," She stated, looking up with more sincere eyes at An'Shen, "I hope you can forgive me."

"I-It's alright," He reassured her, "I know it wasn't intentional. If it was...you'd have hate in your eyes."

A silence permeated the room then as everyone began to realize that the rumors around him may just be true. After all, this was the Bai'Li residence. Spies and assassins. Their product was information. They were the ones who Zhu Fan'Hua asked to watch over him.

His abuse was well known by them, but doubted by a few. They were reminded of his life in that moment. Someone who lived with abuse all their life would recognize the hate in someone's eyes. It was a hard truth that caused everyone to feel remorseful and genuinely apologize.

Bai'Li Lu'Zhou was a beautiful young woman. Anyone who looked at her would call her "mature". Her figure was fit and filled out her clothes quite well. Her green eyes were light like leaves. Dark lilac, wavy hair tied back loosely. Her fair, smooth skin well taken care of.

She was a beautiful young woman, but when she was like this she seemed like a child to Zhu Fan'Hua. Part of the Bai'Li Family training is in seduction. It is a good way to get information. So all members of the Bai'Li took care of their appearances and held themselves in a way that was entrancing. At the moment, Bai'Li Lu'Zhou held none of that.

She was simply staring with sad eyes at An'Shen, glancing back and forth between him and Zhu Fan'Hua. She was attached to Zhu Fan'Hua, but she also cared about her. She wasn't naive even if she acted it sometimes. This was just Bai'Li Lu'Zhou.

"I...Aww, okay," She clapped her hands and immediately servants began placing more food and snacks on the table they sat at, "Please make yourself at home! Your home is my home! After all, we'll be cousins soon enoug...ow!"

Zhu Fan'Hua kicked her below the table, glaring at her. Of course, she wasn't too upset. Out of the corner of her eye she saw An'Shen blushing his unique blush. Smiling awkwardly and shifting around. His thumb playing with the back of her hand. He was embarrassed at the thought, but also happy that someone thought he'd be around that long.

"...Cousin," Zhu Fan'Hua addressed her, "I'm here because your mother wants you to write more."

Crossing her arms, Bai'Li Lu'Zhou pouted, her tone changing a bit to that of a brat. She and her mother didn't get along very well. That is to say they were too much alike that they often clashed. Something Bai'Li Lu'Zhou refused to admit.

"She doesn't have to be so clingy..." She muttered.

"Really?" Zhu Fan'Hua questioned, raising an eyebrow.

She flinched at the accusation hidden in her cousins words. Bai'Li Lu'Zhou knew very well she was the same way. Sheepishly, she uncrossed her arms.

"...Fine, I'll try to write more," She sighed, leaning on the table, "I can't wait till they get the crystal towers up."

Crystal Towers. A project that has been in the works for a while now. Simple, short distance communication was easy with the Tablet Connection Crystal. However, long distance was more difficult. The only thing you could get long distance was news. Communication was more difficult.

Thus, Crystal Towers were being constructed to allow the crystals to connect long distance. Until then, letters were the only thing to be used. It was an old system, but one that could also be a lot more secure.

"One day, perhaps," Zhu Fan'Hua answered offhandedly, "That is, however, what I came here for. Now that I've done that, we'll-"

Bai'Li Lu'Zhou was making pleading eyes with her. Cutting her words short because even An'Shen was holding her by the hand, not getting up. It seemed that Bai'Li Lu'Zhou had hit the soft part of An'Shen's heart.

"She's your cousin, right?" He asked sweetly, "Shouldn't you stay a bit longer at least?"

"...Fine," She sighed, sitting back down.

He smiled happily as she kissed his forehead. Bai'Li Lu'Zhou pouted, jealous, yet underneath that was a smile Zhu Fan'Hua did not miss. One that said she was happy for her cousin. She supposed it wouldn't be so bad to stay a little longer.
    -----

20. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Six:
    The Golden Tulip

I had been in a whirlwind of emotions ever since the day that Zhu Fan'Hua kissed me. To imagine that my own feelings would be reciprocated was beyond my wildest dreams. I still remember the way her lips felt. How I felt in her arms.

It was why I was glad I had moments like these. Laying in her arms, my head resting on her shoulder. A cool breeze through the window of the sitting room. A lounge couch was situated near the window which allowed us to lay as we were.

Curled up next to her, she held me firmly as she reviewed some documents. Being part of the Zhu Family, she had a few responsibilities. Thus, she had some work to do. I had just gotten done with my lessons with Miss Su.

The day was lazing on. The soft smell of lavender in my nose calmed me. It meant that she was near. After we first became official, I was nervous about getting close with her. She quickly shut that thought down, however. I was still rather nervous and overly self-conscious about our differences.

Her fingers played with my hair, her breathing even. Every breath made me more conscious of her body. She was strong, fit, and yet somehow soft. I could only handle this for a few minutes before I sat up. She didn't force me to stay, but let me sit up, her hand on my back reassuringly.

When I had first been anxious about getting close to her, she pulled me close and didn't let go until I understood it was okay. That I could hug her at any time. That I could kiss her at any time. I could indulge myself at any time. Yet, it was usually her who indulged, much to my embarrassment.

"Are you restless?" She asked, setting down her paperwork.

"...A bit," I replied, smiling back at her.

We had compromised a bit when it came to contact with each other. In situations like this, I couldn't stay that close to her for too long. I'd begin to feel weird and overly self-conscious. She was a girl after all. A beautiful one at that.

I was a boy and there were some things that I felt too aware of. On top of that, I was anxious ever since we became officially a couple. Staying cooped up in the house made me feel a bit suffocated. Not because of Zhu Fan'Hua, but because I had to clear my head.

"Shall we go for a walk?" She suggested, sitting up herself.

I nodded, she always knew what I needed. I didn't understand it at all. It's been almost a month since those rooftop kisses. Our feelings being laid bare to each other. I couldn't be happier, but I just couldn't understand it.

I could only trust in her feelings for me. She always seemed to know when I was feeling down about it. When that happened, I found myself pressed against a wall, her hand holding my chin as she kissed me sweetly. It was...exhilarating.

Hand in hand, we left the house. Leaving Suyin and Miss Su behind, of who I came to find out were in a relationship themselves. They had been for a few years now. I was happy for them. Miss Su deserved to be happy, as did Suyin. It made sense why they seemed so close. Besides working for Zhu Fan'Hua, that is.

The academy was busy as always. Students making their way from class to class. As always, they would stare at the Black Lotus and her "Golden Tulip". The Gold Tulip is what they came to call me. A symbol of my hair and her love for me. Of course, it also represented how fragile I was.

I didn't really mind it. It meant that they saw our relationship as fact. Something I had always been concerned about. I never wanted to ruin her reputation. To be with me would mean a lot of bad things would be said about her. I was glad to be wrong.

Only the Righteous Sword remained as silent protesters. They were cowed after the fight between Zhu Fan'Hua and the Liu Brothers. A lot of their numbers had dwindled. The few I saw quickly moved away. They were all but finished.

"Are your classes going well?" Zhu Fan'Hua asked as we walked through one of the many parks in the academy.

"Yes," I nodded, smiling up at her, "I've been learning a lot about magical beasts and pressure points. Youshan has been great at helping me."

"...Has she now?" Zhu Fan'Hua glanced down at me.

I felt like I heard something in her tone, but it perhaps was my imagination. Classes were one of the few times we weren't together. Zhu Fan'Hua had her own classes and duties to take as well. During the first bit of my stay she had been putting everything off to make me get settled in. I was really touched she had taken the time to do so.

So with her back to classes and performing her duties as part of the Zhu Family, we had those moments apart. It was refreshing to go over everything with her though. It seemed she was a bit more comfortable around Sima Ai'Li and Sima Chen as well, which made me happy.

I had always noticed she would get a bit prickly whenever they were around before. Calling me away or never being too far. Now, she let me spend time with them alone. Just the past week I had lunch with them at their residence in the academy. It was a lovely time. Though she had immediately met me afterwards. I could tell she had missed me. The feeling had been mutual.

I never felt quite right when she wasn't near. Never once did I tire of us being together. Even when we weren't doing anything.

"Youshan..." Zhu Fan'Hua muttered, "What do you think of her?"

The question came out of nowhere and caught me off-guard. Youshan was my senior in Bestial Studies and also my teacher. She had enough knowledge to be an instructor, but had refused the position several times. She was a student herself, after all.

However, when I joined the course she was more than willing to help and teach me. She acted as a second teacher for me next to the instructor of the course. She had been great in helping me learn more about Taixu, the Mao Long who was bonded to me.

Currently, Taixu was resting in that dark place. A place they could access, but I couldn't. After all, it was where my Mana Heart would be if I had one. The place that my Mana Field would one day flourish if I could ever cultivate.

Youshan was kind, patient, and above all informative. She was a good friend. On top of that, she was apparently the president of our fan club. Mine and Zhu Fan'Hua's. It was a little bit embarrassing, but she was our biggest supporter.

"She's...alright," I answered, confused by the question, "She helps me a lot and is a good teacher. I've learned quite a bit because of her."

"...I see," Zhu Fan'Hua sighed.

Something in her response made me wonder if I didn't answer properly. It wasn't something I was able to wonder on for long. A cold chill arose in the air as White Snow appeared in Zhu Fan'Hua's hand. Blocking an arrow meant for me.
    -----

An'Shen was important to Zhu Fan'Hua. With her status he would become a target for many. Politics, grudges, and just to mess with her. All these reasons he would be in danger. An arrow from a distance was on such instance.

Her eyes took in the smug face of the one who shot it. Zheng Ya. A girl her own age and one of the Five Lotus. She was the Pink Lotus. Her pink, ombre blonde hair and pink eyes were the reasons for this name.

Zheng Ya was one of the more popular of the Five Lotus. Always into the latest trends, food, and gossip. She also led the "Butterflies". A group of women focused on elegance and ranged combat. Currently, three of their members were with her. They all wore archer guards over their chest.

"Ha! So it's true!" She sneered from the top of a large stairway, "You really do protect that kid."

Zhu Fan'Hua watched her calmly. She was not a threat, but a pest. Three arrows in succession. One after another effortlessly knocked away. In the span of those arrows, Zheng Ya was beside An'Shen. Examining him.

A wry smile on her face before Zhu Fan'Hua grabbed her by the collar of her clothing, lifting her up. Her smile changed to a pout as she crossed her arms. Zheng Ya was no threat to An'Shen, not when it came to injury anyways. Zheng Ya was smarter than that. No, she was a threat because Zheng Ya often tried to take what Zhu Fan'Hua wanted or had.

"Zheng Ya..." Zhu Fan'Hua narrowed her eyes.

She smiled the type of smile you do when you're caught. A bit bashful, a bit unashamed. Zhu Fan'Hua sighed, tossing her away from An'Shen. White Snow levered against her. She thought highly of herself, and was incredibly selfish, but she wasn't dumb.

"Aww, come on...I just wanted to say hi to your boy toy," She teased, getting up and dusting herself off, "He's a bit interesting. To have stolen your heart is a feat in and of itself. Why don't you share him with m-"

White Snow pressed itself against her neck, causing the rather prideful, arrogant girl to swallow hard.

"An'Shen...is mine," She stated coolly, "And if I were to share him...it wouldn't be with you."

"Hmph," Zheng Ya pouted, backing away from the blade of White Snow, "Fine, fine...I just came to say hi. I was away for a while. So when I heard you had a boy...I was quite shocked. Rumors seem to be true this time."

She began to walk away, Zhu Fan'Hua watching her carefully. She wasn't one to give up easily. An'Shen clung to the hem of her clothing, hiding from Zheng Ya.

"Oh! Though..." Zheng Ya glanced back, a sly smile on her face, "Do be careful not to let him out of your sight. Someone might just...eat him up."

She laughed lightly as her and the Butterflies jumped away. She watched them go until none remained. Only when she believed it safe did she release White Snow. Turning towards An'Shen, she checked him for anything weird.

Zheng Ya may be weaker than her, but she was quick. Luckly, nothing strange seemed to have been planted. Content, she pet An'Shen's head who seemed rather flustered and confused.

"W-Who was that?" He asked, looking up at her from under her hand.

"...Zheng Ya," She responded, not really wanted to say her name, "She's...a nuisance. Though she shouldn't hurt you."

"Really?" He asked skeptically, "She did shoot an arrow at me...several, in fact."

"Yes...but only because she was testing me," Zhu Fan'Hua sighed, feeling a bit guilty, "She knew I would block them. She is arrogant and selfish. Most likely...she'll try to steal you from me."

He raised an eyebrow at her then, grabbing her hand and bringing it down to hold. An amused smile crossing his face as his hands held hers affectionately.

"Steal me?" He laughed lightly, "I am yours already. There's no way I would be stolen by her."

She felt her heart twang happily at his words, but there was more than that. He didn't understand she meant literally steal him. Slowly, however, it dawned on him as his eyes widened.

"Yes, there you go," She laughed lightly, "She will try to kidnap you. Just to mess with me. She may even...try to take you."

"Take...me?" His confused face soon turned into a flustered one, "W-What? N-No...That...No."

Her hand went to his cheek firmly, "Don't worry. I won't let that happen."

He smiled, nodding. Hand in hand, they carried on with their walk. Zhu Fan'Hua wasn't sure she was ready to go to the next step in their relationship. Though she wished to be closer with him. Zheng Ya would try to take him from her. She was that type of person.

She loved taking things from others. She wasn't entirely bad person, just arrogant and selfish. Thinking that she could take what she wanted. It irked Zhu Fan'Hua how similar they were in that fashion. Though Zhu Fan'Hua had some guidelines she followed, Zheng Ya did not.

The only thing she wouldn't do is harm another unless they harmed someone close to her. An'Shen was safe from that, but not safe from anything else. Zheng Ya had broken up many couples before because of it. This has earned her the other nickname of the "Voracious Lotus".

Her appetite was never sated. One had to always be aware around her. If she took an interest in you, she'd do anything to get you or embarrass you. Even coercion, blackmail, and in rare instances, utilizing drugs. Yet, deep down she meant well.

Zheng Ya has saved countless people from abusers. Many of which are now part of the Butterflies. Those who could not join the Butterflies, as it was a female only group, would go on to be free of their abusers at the very least.

In the rare cases she used drugs, this was never to force someone to be with her. It was simply to play with them. Make them embarrassed. She was arrogant, after all. If she couldn't get someone using her own wiles, then she'd never steep to using drugs. She'd simply use it to blackmail them into thinking they had.

She was constantly playing with people. A dangerous woman, but with at least some lines she wouldn't cross. It was the only reason Zhu Fan'Hua let her be. If she ever were to cross that line, Zhu Fan'Hua would not hesitate to cut her down. Especially now that she has someone to protect.
    -----