Discussion Dystopia

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Jul 7, 2022.

1. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    Are we living in a dystopian society already? Do you think the current issues our society is facing is enough to categorize it as a dystopia? If not, at what point will you think the society has entered a dystopian state?

Emma626 and Anra7777 like this.
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Not really. Our My society (can't speak for others) isn't quite my definition of ideal, but it's far from what I would consider dystopian. I'd be tempted to think of it as such if it, say, forbid discussions like the one you just put up. :blobpeek:

3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think anyone living in a dystopian society would ever consider it dystopian, because they'd always be able to imagine something much worse~

So uhn... No, I don't think so. There are definitely much worse paths that our society could take to become dystopian~

superdelicate, neuxxx and Bad Storm like this.
  4. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes, I feel like opinions doesn't matter anyway and nothing changes despite your thoughts for better society and living conditions. that said, I still don't think it's a dystopian society.

Mhm was thinking of this point too. After all, news and media are controlled by a chosen few. And there's the great disparity between the two extremes of wealth distribution.

otaku31 likes this.
  5. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's less about change, and more about imagination. Dystopian societies, if you ask me, nip change in the bud by limiting your thought processes, solitude and leisure, and that too, not necessarily by force or coercion. Erasure or alteration of history as we know it seems to be another feature; when you have nothing to set yourself off against, how are you supposed to know any better? That's what the vast majority of "dystopian" novels I have read seem to suggest.

Miyashita and Bad Storm like this.
  6. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah that is true. Usually, a dystopian society is under a totalitarian rule and freedom is non-existent.

otaku31 likes this.
  7. Bachingchung

Bachingchung Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ofc not. Lives today are way better than before. Everyone just became more entitled and exaggerated when it comes to their feelings. But these are just some side effects of not having real problems. People did become less kind and more selfish, which is sad.

8. superdelicate

superdelicate cat facing down

Reading List:
    Link
    people in dystopian society never think 'oh, i'm living in a dystopia' cause it's just their normal life
    so maybe we are in a dystopia already but we're used to it?
    i don't think i will be able to identify a dystopia in real life, even if i am living in one cause i'm the type to just accept the status quo... if i'm poor and oppressed by the government i'd probably just think i'm unlucky, and if i'm rich realistically speaking i wouldn't care about the poor and oppressed citizens xp

Miyashita likes this.
  9. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
  10. Silver Snake

Silver Snake Magician of NUF|Show-off|Awkward|Genius

Reading List:
    Link
    Check out boring dystopia on reddit.

It's the sort of dystopia where there isn't really anything you can actively fight against, unlike in the movies. People are too focused on what they want/need than what is right. And the people who do feel an urge to change things simply can't live long enough to make it happen.

The only way you can make the world better is simply by living your best life and hoping that will influence those around you to be better.

Anra7777 likes this.
  11. Lovise

Lovise Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't reached Library of Ruina level

12. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    lol, that's some scary level schist.

13. UnGrave

UnGrave ななひ~^^

Reading List:
    Link
    Looked up the google definition: "an imagined state or society in which there is great suffering or injustice, typically one that is totalitarian or post-apocalyptic."

So yeah, it's impossible for us to be a dystopia unless we ourselves are just imagined. But even without that, we probably need even more suffering and injustice first.

14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    no~
    not yet~ as whole thats it~ in some place maybe~ post war nation is closest dystopian we can get cuz well physical totally wrecked~ failed state is possible, totalitarian well we can pin point some stuff~

15. ongoingwhy

ongoingwhy Meat Pie Lover

Reading List:
    Link
    North Korea is a dystopia. There are other countries that are slowly heading in that direction as well. If you're talking about humanity as a whole, we're not quite there yet.

16. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    I've seen a documentary about north korea before. It was a little chilling how much they go to present to foreigners that they are doing well and everything is normal.

ongoingwhy likes this.
  17. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    Several years ago, I would have said “no, we’re heading toward a better society.” Today, my instinctive reaction to the question was “yes.” Frankly, I don’t think we’re a complete dystopia yet, but I think we’re swiftly heading there and already have many dystopic elements.

Bad Storm likes this.