Discussion What i learned in the past 2 years of reading chinese novels

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Slief, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In the past 2 years of reading chinese novels, i have learned that all chinese citizen are morally Righteous, benelovent and humane, they never do crimes and violate the law, even if it seldom happens it is a petty crime like theft or something and even in that case the chinese citizen was most likely blackmailed or in a extremely difficult situation.

the CCP is also always right and they are also righteous and for humanity, anyone against them is not even considered human. questioning them is death.

At the same time all western and foreign countries are lesser than human and their blood is polluted, they have lesser culture and are evil, especially the Japense ohhh the Japanse, they are litteraly described as devil incarnate.

the criminals are never chinese and their villains are most likely blonde men from the "Eagle Country". bro i was reading this novel the other day where the MC litteraly shot down an USA airplane and he was encouraged.

i truly feel bad for the authors forced to write such propagande just to be able to publish their novels, maybe that's why they usually don't write modern or it doesn't take place on earth but 'Bluestar' so they can avoid this.

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You didn't learn sh*t. Off to the reeducation camps with you! :blobangery:

3. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    What kind of shit have you been reading? Chinese web novels are mainly xianxia, yet you are talking about setting of modern China.
    There are plenty of Chinese assholes in I'm Really a Superstar or God and Devil World, but yeah the foreigners are more evil.

4. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are gems out there that aren't racist or nationalistic. For example, Cultivation Chat Group comes to mind.

Another modern cultivation novel that has zero nationalism or racism is 重生之带娃修仙. I wrote a review for it here: https://forum.novelupdates.com/thre...vel-that-isnt-racist-or-nationalistic.115737/

Check it out if you can read Chinese. The rarity of such a novel made me cry.

There's also 我的氪金战姬. Unfortunately, Qidian removed it from their site.

This is an even rarer gem btw. Rather than having zero nationalism, you could even call it anti-nationalism.

Here's a summary of the story. Rather than cultivation, it's a sci-fic novel. Humans were given Valkyries (who were always female) and the Valkyries were used to fight mutated monsters or whatever. It's been a long time so I can't remember details.

Anyway, the "goddess" who bestowed the Valkyries onto the humans was a Chinese citizen. So almost all of the Valkyrie units went to China, since that was her homeland. The military had their own soldiers become Valkyrie handlers and they were the ones doing most of the monster extermination missions at first. But then, later on, the civilian population also started getting their own Valkyries. Together with the military unit, these civilians also started going on monster extermination missions.

After some time, the Chinese military successfully developed their own weapons and it was then when they decided to betray their former allies - the original Valkyries and their civilian handlers. And by "betray," I mean "ruthlessly murder."

This betrayal caused the "goddess" to go berserk and she started going around exterminating the families and military commanders who were behind the betrayal. And the killings caused the leader of the military Valkyrie unit to speak up. He went up to space to talk to the "goddess." He reminded her that she was herself a Chinese citizen and that the killing of so many powerful Chinese families and military commanders would weaken China.

The "goddess" in turn reminded the unit commander that her mission was to save a certain percentage of humanity and then she pointedly added that there were humans in other countries beside China. She also said that she could ignore China and go on to accomplish her mission by only saving a certain number of people in Africa (or some other continent - can't remember details).

In the story, the male MC also went on missions to save a village in Eastern Europe. He never did discriminate against the villagers just because they were white. He also opened his base to citizens of other countries.

Unfortunately, this novel was later taken down from Qidian's website. It was never completed and ended in a very exciting cliffhanger. FML for reading so far ahead...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  5. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's because i have already read all the good and decent ones on here so i was trying out some new ones on mtl, they draw you in and make the novel decent, but then out of nowhere they hit you with a bunch of nationalism and racist shit for a couple of chapters

Mr gentleman and Eat_Angst like this.
  6. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link

**They are more inclined to face value morals. Has long as your deeds are within the established morals then any actions that we foreigners might think are too much is not really problematic.

Like for marriage and women in xianxia, we grew up learning or atleast listening to women's right and to some degree the equality in gender. But in China or atleast in parts where xianxia is predominant the view is quite different....heck it's f** mirror image I think.

The author of heavenly jewel change, publicly said "monogamy is society evolving backwards"... ironically in the larger world of China he has pictured himself as a faithful husband to his single wife...eh..late wife RIP.

As for CCP politics, don't go there pls, keep it to authors and public culture...or not it will just get locked.

Anyway, yeah the mentality in xianxia is deviant and if I really had to put a word... masochistic xeno sexism. Well three words XD

7. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me. everything in the Cn novels, are false and imagery.
    The truest thing is those are what the authors want to be/see to happen in their life.

Slief likes this.
  8. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    -9999999999999999 social credits for you >(

9. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol :blobrofl: it's the same for me. I have already finished every single good novel. And the ones that I haven't read are utter trash. I'm just jumping around searching for something good to read.

AA-Admiral and Slief like this.
  10. ansusta

ansusta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "nationalism"

Slief likes this.
  11. frrama

frrama Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Since the OP seems to be sharing wisdom from primarily male-oriented writings, I thought I'd share some of the important lessons I have learned from female-oriented Chinese webnovels.

All women are perpetually obsessed with looking good: with cosmetics, with clothes, with fashion in general - but particularly with designer handbags. All women; no exceptions. There is not a woman alive who does not have a deep yearning for limited-edition brand-name bags.

Changing your appearance via skilful use of different styles of make-up? - commendable! Changing your appearance via plastic surgery? - EEEEEVIL!!! Only the most despicable of lowlife scum would even consider it. Plastic surgery = fraud against those poor innocent fools who might be duped into being attracted to you. Obviously they, along with every other person you know, will be utterly sickened once your vile deception is revealed.

Beauty = goodness/worth - terrible people may have some measure of attractiveness, but it is inevitably lesser/fleeting. Ugly people have no value at all. And while other standards of attractiveness may vary somewhat according to personal taste, there is one iron-clad rule: whiter-than-snow skin = beauty.

...Which may be why, though (white) westerners can be tolerated despite their clear inferiority, and Chinese people frequently travel to the USA or Europe, other regions with native peoples that have darker skin are usually politely erased from existence by considerate novel authors - except on very rare occasions when a family member or employee is mentioned as having done something so terrible, so utterly awful and irredeemable, that they're threatened with exile to Africa!!!

Of course Chinese anything > western anything, always; but there are a few aspects of this that deserve special mention...

Western movies are all made by Hollywood - even the ones that come from countries other than America. The only reason why stupid trashy western movies are popular is because they have such eye-catching special effects, which Hollywood somehow stumbled across the secret of and is jealously keeping a monopoly on; but China's special effects departments are going to dramatically overtake Hollywood any day now, and as soon as that happens, Chinese film - and Chinese values! - will rightfully RULE THE WORLD.

Nobody actually likes bland, greasy, disgusting western food; the fact that it's gained any measure of popularity in China is clearly some kind of conspiracy by no-good foreigners. Even most foreigners prefer Chinese food, unless they're substantially more ignorant than average.

As for western medicine - why does that even still exist, let alone see any usage in hospitals? It's clearly ineffectual when compared to Chinese medicine, which can do anything to the human (or animal) body/mind (a fact which shadier members of society may take advantage of in various nefarious ways).

Women should not be permitted to eat or drink cold things (ever, but especially not at That Time Of The Month). Doing so will utterly destroy their health beyond redemption.

In high school, worthwhile students only follow the maths & science route. The liberal arts path is for imbeciles/slackers/girls. A student who is especially gifted at mathematics will be worshipped like a god by fellow students.

In China, police officers (a.k.a. "uncle police"; as for "auntie police?" - she doesn't exist!) are always wise and just, completely incapable of corruption, or even negligence or incompetence. Likewise, the Chinese government always acts simultaneously in the best interests of every individual in the country, and also the country as a whole.

...Yet somehow, every sufficiently wealthy family is completely above the law! Who even knows how that works!? - but it's a fact that only another wealthy and powerful citizen/family can bring them down; the law can't touch rich people unless/until they've been rendered paupers. Thankfully(?), destroying huge, well-established, multi-national billionaire corporations is generally pretty easy for a talented individual at the head of another similar-sized company.

People who are born poor should just stay poor, and learn to like it. A talented, industrious and benevolent "self-made man" will always be inherently vulgar, and such people are worthy only of contempt for trying to rise above their station; while stupid/idle/vicious people born into established rich and powerful families are still deserving of at least some degree of admiration and respect.

If you're in a romantic relationship, but not yet married, there is no such thing as infidelity; so long as all parties involved are unmarried, nobody is guilty of anything worse than indecisiveness.

If a married man has an affair, the blame lies entirely with the mistress, and she should be the sole recipient of any scorn, hatred, and retaliation. This remains true even if she was duped into honestly believing that the man was single before they got together.

Blended families are always a recipe for disaster, because it's only possible to truly care about blood relatives.

AA-Admiral, Zeusomega and ANonMouse like this.
  12. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I can give you some on the other points but this paragraph is just straight up wrong, or you barely read Chinese novels, or some niche set. Most of the novels set in China have Chinese villains like rapists, or murderers at the start, or near start. And if you read any Apocalyptic novels it gets much, much worse, almost every male character is a rapist (except the MC's pals), and almost all the women are dumb or sluts(except the MC's future wives). The only men who aren't rapists (besides the MC's pals) are just too weak, and as soon as the Chinese men get any power they start the raping.

Most Chinese novels don't treat foreigners well, especially Japanese and Americans, but usually they spend the first few arcs trashing Chinese people first.

brigs11 likes this.
  13. nothing nothing

nothing nothing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i don't really like chinese manhwa and novel
    villains are so weak and stupid
    and story line is go so fast
    and when come to punish villain or fl's powers increase it's so easy and they don't suffer so much

14. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    Sigh, Urban Chinese Novel would be a gem if not for the forced Nationalism that every author need to include inside the story.

Imagine a child who never receive government support and even get suppressed. One day he suddenly received Systema and become strong. What next? He become the most loyal citizen out of nowhere and declare his hate for foreigner (even when none of them offend him)

I'm like WTF!?

Before this foreigner got into story, MC enemies were basically Chinese. Every Single One of Them!

I can't imagine what is going through the author mind when he was forced to turned his gem-like story into garbages.

Slief and Vanidor like this.
  15. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually I see this in xianxias too in a way. For example, Martial God Asura. almost all of his family treats him like utter shit. The moment he gets powerful, he defends them? It's mind boggling that authors seem to be encouraging their readers to respond to familial abuse by "being the bigger man" when they become successful. Bitch, if you didn't become successful, they woulda left you rotting in the ditch, but it's all water under the bridge now that they worship the ground you walk on? If anyone in that story deserved the countless massacres that the protag commits in the name of vengeance, it's his family.

Slief and aere2022 like this.
  16. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    True, especially the new promoted novels on webnovel.

And what do you mean by pals? Chinese MCs never got pals only subordinates and his countless women who we are supposed to believe he "Loves", like bitch can't you just stick to a woman and support each other? Is it so fun to dissapoint them one after another?

And somehow the enemies are all guys and his supporters are all women, except his master or something. Can't the author give them buddy besides the "Fatty" friend they start off with but then dissapears after the first arc?

UnknownSaint171, ansusta and Vanidor like this.
  17. ansusta

ansusta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    omg so true !
    years of reading xianxia novels summarized

18. Neph90

Neph90 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think some chinese author has mental health problem because there is no way normal human beign writes this shitty things

Slief and UnknownSaint171 like this.
  19. NinjapowerMS

NinjapowerMS Local man ruins everything

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly thank god I grew out of the chinese novel phase.

20. Slief

Slief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i want to aswell, but the quick fantasy novel and the world building are awesome, the usual english ones usually focus on the drama and characters, like i want the journey i dont care about drama and shit.