How old were you when you started using the internet?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pass1478, Jul 12, 2022.

?

Ages

1. Before 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 5 to 10

22 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. 11 to 15

34 vote(s)
    52.3%
  4. 16 to 20

6 vote(s)
    9.2%
  5. After 20

3 vote(s)
    4.6%
  1. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    The question's in the title.

I personally started browsing the net at around 7, it was when my dad got us a household PC for office or school work. I only ever used it for flash games in sites like Newgrounds. I never used it for social medias, it was only a few years after that I learned about video sites, forums and image boards, and interacting with other users on there.

Speaking of age and exposure to the internet I find kids these days to be weird, they can be so... indifferent to things, I suppose. Like, for me back then, the craziest things or some of the most traumatizing things for me were videos like the ISIS execution, 2 girls 1 cup, 1 guy 1 jar, etc. But a lot of kids these days send these kinds of videos to one another as a "small prank". They're also frequently exposed to horrible news around the world, resulting in reactions like "oh, there was another school-shooting? Okay", "Is the Russia-Ukraine war over yet?", etc. (don't discuss these examples here). I swear we're gonna have both the most cynical and gullible generation in a few years. What do you guys think?

northerner likes this.
  2. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    15-16 for me that I can remember not sure if I started before, but I think I started with counter strike, the game, when it was in beta, the one before cs:go and cs:source.
    And yes I'm old.

3. reireina91

reireina91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm old... Internet is start popular when i'm still on high school... So i started using it, when i go to college....
    But kids these days is really freak me out.. not only news, they start dating online and bullying too. my nephew is still 8years old but his friends already know hentai and blue film.. they act like that's normal and share it with friends. it's make me speechless.the worst things is their parent just say they are children so they don't know it's good or not..
    They are bullying people online... Not only friends but send hate to random people on sosmed.

4. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    CS 1.6?

Yeah, I find this to be especially weird. I just find it so bizarre that some people are willing to meet strangers they find online.

5. Kuroguma

Kuroguma [Cyber Lich] [Aspie] [SOX][Forgotten Perv]

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, but I played when it was in beta, I rmember it was around beta 5 or something like that.

6. a14635

a14635 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    14-16 y.o... Using the very first versions of Internet Explorer and Netscape Navigator, using mIRC for chat, surfing using code lines, hacki... erm... "checking" the FBI and Interpol databases using Unix just for the fun in it...:blobsweat_2:
    Those were the days...:blobokhand:

7. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    About ten chaos cycles.

Kairil likes this.
  8. Donuts

Donuts Endless surge of emotions

Reading List:
    Link
    My dad got me a pc with a trash ass internet when i was young but i rarely play since i always went out and play a lot til i’m 10

9. Undying Winter

Undying Winter ❅ Avid Enjoyer of Trash ❅

Reading List:
    Link
    Reading all this makes me feel glad that the only thing I saw as a kid on the internet was Barbie Life in the Dreamhouse episodes:sushi_peak: I saved myself some trauma and instead got to watch Raquelle being a legend. [​IMG]

Purple Jasmine likes this.
  10. Niyangrapik

Niyangrapik Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk if it's considered old, but it was very hard to have Internet connection even when i first starting to use Internet. I used it at school when i was 12. And when you wanted to connect, you need to hear that tettttttttt krikk tetttttttt for some time before you got connected

11. IrregularPerson

IrregularPerson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember my earliest use was to pirate Pokémon and other shows. And then manga, and then novels. I haven’t participated a lot in social media. But considering the saturated market for news outlets, and just clickbait sites- I do believe a internet literacy should be aptly taught from an early age. I remember having Macs in elementary, and chrome books regularly used during 4th grade. But there are too much fallacy’s and mode of delivery that makes it so difficult to discern the truth. There is also the fact that people’s search engine is based off preferences.
    There is sympathy, and empathy. I would say for the most part, most citizens don’t understand how to participate in the agenda of their country. It’d be nice if the industry didn’t make new (possibly just born) users, numb to current events. Cause they’re relevant.
    I’m just rambling, there is a lot of thing wrong as there is wonder. Though I do find it uncomfortable talking with a kid whose not even in school yet about graphic series like AoT. That’s more on my part and the parent’s choice. There is a new slew of the new generation growing up with no other means of stimulus outside of a screen. I hear horror stories of people not recognizing family and have difficulties speaking.
    Cancel culture has been prevalent… the internet feels like Pandora’s box.

12. passerbyfujofromspace

passerbyfujofromspace “ice pop.”

Reading List:
    Link
    probably around 10 or 11 yrs old, started at 5th grade in elementary and during that time facebook was already mainstream so I also created tons of accounts just to follow the trend, I also remember that in 6th grade I published my first page and it was actually a page for writing my first ever kinda wattpad-ish story which remained unfinished and currently the page doesn't exist anymore cause I deleted it.

13. Nimroth

Nimroth Someone

Reading List:
    Link
    First time was when I was 8 when we got a desktop computer at home for the first time, although it was shared between the family and was still using dial up connection at the time, so wasn't really using it for internet much, aside for printing out game guides.
    I guess the time I spent on the internet increased gradually as we got better connections and more computers at home, until I got my own at 16.
    I didn't really start paying attention to social media until much later though.

14. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    14-15 maybe ? I don't quite remember well but for me internet only meant watching YouTube and downloading games :hmm:

15. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    You watched videos of ISIS executions as a kid? I've never seen anyone send that to someone else and only heard about it being done by ISIS recruiters and the like. If anyone sent me something like that as a "prank" they would instantly have become a creepy stranger to me.

As for the school shooter stuff...I was born in 1997. We were doing active shooter drills as early as elementary school. I'm used to hearing about it. School shootings are horrible and I do not know how I will react if it happens to someone I know. But I have been hearing about them happening to people I don't know all of my life thanks to the far-right. I'm numb.

I imagine current school kids are similarly used to it. They stage walkouts to try and get support for gun control but otherwise that risk is just part of their lives.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
  16. rhianirory

rhianirory Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was in high school. we were too poor to have a computer at home so I used one at school or the public library. I didn't get my own pc until my 20's and now I think it was for the better, I had to learn to entertain myself as kid, playing outside, reading real books, etc. I have a lot less dependence on social media because of it.

Almighty dao likes this.
  17. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    I can't remember if my first modem was 2400 or 4800 baud. I do remember upgrading to a 9600 baud modem and it felt like I finally joined the mainstream. I think my first Internet experience was via the Prodigy service where I went around visiting BBSes checking out their shareware games. Man, it was so long ago that my memory is fuzzy. While AOL became big and was everywhere, I don't recall ever giving it a try.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    Almighty dao likes this.
  18. Almighty dao

Almighty dao Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe around 7 years old?

It was the time when PSP is still famous around the market back then. I started playing bomber man and the old version of tekken.

then when I turned 9 years old I got addicted to k-drama especially the Empress Ki. It was my favorite.

btw, I don’t have my permanent gadgets because my step mom prohibited me from it.

When I turned 11, I finally got my own phone and got addicted to Wattpad, and somehow got exposed to r-18 things. My step mom happens to discovered that I always sleep late and banned me from my phone and need to surrender it after I got home from school.

I turned 14 and somehow got my freedom from my banned things from my step mom because of something then they let me read Wattpad then I got to explore the internet then basically got entangled with lots of graphic designs and it was fun. One of the important key points that make my skills good for my school and got good grades from it.

Then when I turned 16 I got my own Ipad that I got from joining a competition, in short I’ve won it. Then till now, 17 I’m happy that I got this and explore the internet without having my freedom restricted from it.

Up to till now I still need to surrender my phone because that’s what my step mom says and I kinda okay from it since I have my own IPad.

19. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Only one. It was that video of that living, breathing guy who had his head chopped off with a saw, I think it was a journalist? Forgot. I watched it because my group of friends were watching it in school, we were messing about in gore-sites, having a "big-dick" contest and competing on who watches these gore videos the longest.

20. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was around 21 and it was 1991, and the university I went to had Internet access for students. Before that I'd only used a few BBS sites that weren't connected to the internet. Everything was pretty much text based. Hell, Windows was still text based and not the graphical interface everyone has now. The only computers with graphical interfaces were a pair of OS/2 based computers in one professors lab around 92/93.