Spoiler My In Laws Are Obsessed with me

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by Rika77, Mar 6, 2021.

1. bigredqueen

bigredqueen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I love both the novel & the manhwa :blobsmilehappyeyes: The manhwa gives depth yet more realistic side of story, and the art is super pretty :aww:
    To see smiling Islet in manhwa is one of my greatest achievement as a reader tbh, she & Celphie are just too lovely

Laerta, Viqt, Jukki and 5 others like this.
  2. LostRose17

LostRose17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Manhwa is basically filling in the plot holes tbh. I don't mind. The development between the ML and FL also seems more fleshed out imo.

3. magfuentes

magfuentes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    esistwindig likes this.
  4. liliheq

liliheq Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't think it's going to work cause only few chps are released for free and for the rest you need coins/cookies so i guess we need to wait for webtoons chps..but if you do know then let me know too plss :blobsad:

Also does anybody has spoilers for the side stories plss and how does the family react when they get to know that fl is pregnant the first time???:blobamused:

magfuentes likes this.
  5. i_am_here

i_am_here Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really don't like the changes made in the webtoon from the novel.

I think it comes down to the artist not wanting to portray "mothers" in a bad light or show instances where women are capable of abusing children, even if makes no sense to the plot the changes they made.

1. The stepmother is "caring" to the FL growing up and civil to her after she leaves the house when the stepmother is one of the masterminds behind deceiving the FL of her inheritance and killing her. And when the FL leaves the household and refuses to marry the disgusting Siph, it ruins the stepmother and stepsister plans to steal from and kill the FL.
    The webtoon tries to make it out that the stepmother is just a neutral character torn between choosing her daughter and the FL.

2. Islet's backstory of being an abused "illegitimate child" by her own father makes NO sense when the reason in the novel is she was abused by her greedy mother and stepfather and despised by her half/step brother is because she is a Lapireon. Whereas, in the webtoon
    Islet's is traumatized every time she sees a Lapieron and their red eyes, due to the abuse her father inflicted on her. Despite the fact Islet herself has red eyes????

In the novel, Islet's mother saw her as a hindrance to her new "family" and only viable as a cash cow and her stepfather hated her for being someone else's child because he believed she was "cursed" since she was the child of a Lapireon.

For better or worse Lapireon family seem like a close-knit clan that hold each other to the highest respect and are loyal to their own considering they are all bound together by the blood curse. Infact, in the novel Islet's mother and her stepfathers source of income was the stipend provided by the Lapireon family (despite Islet having no officially contact with them).
    This shows that even to "distant" relatives, the family shows an avid interest in supporting their welfare.

Therefore, doing what the father did to Islet makes no sense at all.
    when:
    1. they don't need the money they are wealthy and powerful enough then degrade themselves into mutilating and abusing family members for "profit".
    2. "selling the blood" risks exposing the family's secret which could lead to people believing they are "monsters" and most likely lead the family to ruin. Therefore, a Lapireon being behind such a scheme makes ZERO sense since they have more to lose than gain from such a risky act.

The novel's backstory of Islet's abuse coincides with the abuse the FL endured from her own stepfamily and is probably why the FL developed such an attachment to her. The webtoon's backstory doesn't make and seems it was only contrived by the artist just to avoid portraying Islet's "mothers" in a bad light.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
  6. jpterx

jpterx Member

Reading List:
    Link
    now i fear that they're going to make sercia and theo "mother" less bad than she is in the novel even though i like the way webtoon is going i agree with you

i_am_here likes this.
  7. i_am_here

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the art is gorgeous but I really dislike the changes and there seems to be a pattern in the parts the artist decided to change.

Part of a central theme of the plot is how "misunderstood" the Lapireon clan are to the outside world. They appear but cold and monster-like on the surface to outsiders but once you privy in their inner circles you see they are a close-knit family-oriented clan bound together by the curse and are ferociously loyal to those they care for (especially their family).
    Changing Islet's backstory only did the dirty on the Lapireon family and needlessly made them out to be villains when it makes zero sense of the type of abuse and reason for it - and the implications it could have to family and "father" doing what he did in the webtoon.

The Lapireon family get vilified yet the evil stepmother and step sister get pacified?

Elisee, DOHere, avlirea and 2 others like this.
  8. LostRose17

LostRose17 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know I kinda like the changes since the Islet's step father and mother plot had a lot of plot holes in them considering Lapillion family are known to keep track of each member, how did Islet's abuse go under the radar especially since her father was a member of the family and so is she. Wouldn't they be more likely to check on her after the death of her father?

The new changes makes it seem like the Lapillion family have both good and bad in them, Islet's Webtoon father being one of the bad ones and we've already come across so many shtty Manhwa and manhua parents who would deliberately hurt their own kids legitimate or illegitimate for any reason so it makes sense why Islet's abuse went under the radar from the main branch of the family.

Changing MC's step mother and step sister was also interesting choice because imo I thought the novel version of them was the typical clichéd evil step family (very Cinderella) when here they both had their reasons and are morally grey (reminds me Aisha/Ayesha's secret). The changes imo just add depth to some characters. It's cool if you guys don't like them.

9. i_am_here

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no plothole since the reports the family received about the welfare of the child were falsified and they thought she doing okay until the FL discovered the truth. Islet's biological father had died and she was in the care of her mother and stepfather who used her as a cash cow to get money from the family and torture to get more money. Despite the fact, Islet had no direct relatives left the family still were willing to provide for her upkeep which tells us what we need to know about the values of the Lapieron family and that they do feel a sense of obligation to each other.

The father torturing her to sell her blood makes ZERO sense since it risks exposing the family's secret which puts all of them risk - including the "father". Money would not have been enough of an incentive since the family are loaded and the risks outweigh the benefits.
    They are an insular clan bound by a curse and secret they must both hide and live with to protect not only themselves but those around them they care for. Things such as "legitimate" and "illegitimate" would be trivial to them. Look how prominent members of the adopted children within their family were destitute for example, the ML and uncle Phineas.

I don't see the changes as the artist creating morally "grey" characters but rather absolving specific characters of their wrongdoing and needlessly vilifying the Lapieron family with an arc that makes NO logical sense when put into the context of the family's history and actions.
    The stepsister and stepmother betraying and murdering the FL in her original life is the main plot and raison d'etre for the decisions she makes that starts the events of the story, the webtoon trying to pacify the stepmother as "grey" with a bs excuse she was choosing her blood daughter over her stepdaughter when it was the stepmother's taunting before the FL died is what makes her realize how both took her for a fool.

I think the artist did not like the idea of female characters that were abusive to the children and therefore made these bizarre changes.

10. Samnamu

Samnamu Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don’t think the manhwa adaptation subtracts from the novel, but it is very different from each other in terms of mood/pace/character arcs. I like them for what they are separately, since I’ve come to learn that no adaptation is perfect. However, I quite like the manhwa adaptation for what it’s trying to do, and creating more of a slow burn storyline. The father being the abuser in the manhwa is not a plothole, since his purpose is NOT to make money. You have to remember that the discovery comes right at the heels of the rebel assassination attempt during the parade. when the emperor did absolutely nothing despite it being repeated several times in the story that the family are loyal and have helped the empire throughout its existence. There’s clearly social and political strife happening between the Lapileons and the imperial family. Literally if the Lapileons show any kind of weakness they would be destroyed, regardless of their poison blood or not, if they’re perceived as monsters or not, because their family is too powerful and the Imperial family can’t even force a marriage on them. The abusive father’s reasoning is that if the Lapileon family can’t be respected, they should at least be feared, to the point that just their name is domination. He WANTS the family secret to be exposed, and to have the family use their blood as their greatest weapon, rather than their greatest weakness. Perhaps the author did change it from the abusive mother to avoid showing women being abusive—but I don’t think that’s exactly it since the mother and sister still clearly gaslit and murdered Perry, and still planned to do so in this timeline. In addition, the fourth princess is clearly obsessive and unhinged, and harasses the ML to no end. So there is definitely not a shortage of cruel women in this story. It could even be that Islet’s father was written to be the abusive one instead of the mother in the manhwa adaptation to set up a parallel between Perry and her own father, who may have abused the stepmother. I don’t think it’s making the characters morally-grey, since it’s never morally grey to make a child pay for a parent’s crimes. But I do think the manhwa is trying to make complex characters and motives.

I also really like Pereshati’s character in the manhwa. We haven’t seen much of her personality before the start of the story, but she seemed happy and hopeful, because she believed she had people who loved her and would take care of her, just like she would love and take care of them. But that’s all destroyed by the murder plot. She’s emotionally fragile and can barely trust in her own memories/judgements/actions. I think she’s become scared of people, but slowly her character is coming through by her display of compassion, competency, and slowly regaining courage. And I like that the Lapileons aren’t following the typical “new person shows them how to love” trope but rather by showing how much love they have and are ready to give, but how their curse stops them from doing so. Like Perry they have been heartbroken, and boy do I love mutual hurt/comfort.

Edit: I also think that Islette’s fear of red eyes is not ridiculous, as she probably did grew up in isolation. Also, it’s a pretty common trope for child victims to hate/fear the parts of themselves that reminds them of their abuser. I think Perry even said that the mirrors should be removed from Islette’s room. Also, the Lapileons wearing masks just shows how much love they have, they are willing to do anything for her even though they didn’t know about her existence until like two days ago.

Anyways, this is just to say that I’m willing to see how this manhwa adaptation goes. It could very well slide into shit in the next ten chapters, but right now I don’t see how the manwha’s choices as a gross bastardization of the og novel.

11. Philiagomz

Philiagomz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I must say that I like manhwa version very much and specially MC's character there .At manhwa I found myself connecting with characters very nicely while novel IMO failed to do so.Manhwa also exactly matches with the theme too cuz it's not fluffy,child abuse ,murder and all and artist is doing very good job while portraying every characters emotions and making this story more beautiful in different way cuz this story needed just this type of art and plot too if we will read it thoroughly.This is the first time I prefer manhwa adaptation way better than novel itself and artists is doing great job in it . I'm looking forward to different twist and how artist gonna wrap this story .

12. Queenofmirth

Queenofmirth More than a Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was not under the impression that Islette's father(Manhwa) made that to her for money, or not because he had money as his priority.
    He sold her blood because he want to show "Lapelion's blood superiority" to the world. He was sick of hiding and he want the exposure. But at the same time, he was trying to avoiding get the family's attention.
    And I also think he wanted to put the secret and the family at risk because if the whole world knew their secret and became antagonistic toward the Lapelions, the family would be forced to have a new approach to keep themselves safe, an aggressive approach.
    I believe that is what he really wanted, to force the Lapelions to change the way they deal with the world. No more hiding, no more shame. Proud of the power of their blood and using it.

It makes sense to me that if a lot of people are trapped with the same problem, different people would have different solutions.
    So Islette's father (Manhwa) didn't want Lapelions's fall, he want their rise. And that was the path he chose.
    The illegitimacy of Manhwa Islette is not primarily used to create a different approach of value between legitimate and illegitimate children.
    It was used because Lapelions have a rigid control of their numbers and health.
    If Manhwa Islette was the child of her father and his wife, there would be no way he could hide her existence. Once she was born, she would be counted in Lapelions numbers and have frequent health checks.
    But, as an illegitimate child, Islette's mother could be unrelated to the father, and Islette could be born secretly of Lapelions. This way is possible that Islette never registered between Lapelions numbers and never had health checks.

That is the importance of Islette's illegitimacy to the manhwa version.
    Pacify is not what grey characters are supposed to do. It should be the opposite. It is to be hard and distressing.

A "peaceful" story is like:
    1. Character "A" is good, character "B" is evil.
    2. Like, care, and cheer for character A's happiness, because character A is good
    3. Hate, don't feel sorry, and hope for punishment for character B, because character B is evil.
    Peaceful stories are supposed to be easily digested.

But stories with gray characters?
    It's for you to feel disgusted with a character and still see the character as a person.
    It's for you to feel sorry for the character and still expect him to be punished for their mistakes.
    And to show that even the character we like(the protagonists) has horrible horrible damnable flaws.

It is for your heart to be pulled in two opposite directions. And to broke.
    It is a tug of war between individual morality and individual capacity for forgiveness. It's for you to test yourself and get to know yourself better.
    That is what grey characters are supposed to do. Not to pacify anything.
    (Ok, I got really passionate in this third and last part. :blobsweat:)

sousumi, Oh.Kay, Canallin and 24 others like this.
  13. i_am_here

Reading List:
    Link
    This "superiority" angle again doesn't make sense, from what we have seen most in the family do not perceive themselves as "superior" rather cursed hence why they live reclusive lives and are close-knit with each other. Again, doing what he did to Islet put the whole family in danger and could lead to their ruin as they would be deemed as "monsters" by the public and the weakness expoited by their enemies.
    If "superiority" mattered so much to him why breed with low born born?
    Atleast in the novel, Islet's mother keeping her (despite hating her daughter) made sense because she wanted the income the Lapireon provided her and use it as a source of income.

There is nothing "grey" about scheming with your daughter to swindle and murder your stepdaughter for her inheritance and deceive her into thinking she is loved. Oh and then adding the cherry on top by taunting her on her death bed about how you fooled her to be in the state she is now in (dying). This isn't "grey" it's cold blooded murder and ruthless deception.

14. its0k

its0k Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sorry, I don’t think it’s right to call step-mother and daughter morally grey when they have killed MC in the 1st TL and were methodically moving towards doing this in the current TL. Whatever reasons they had their plan is still a crime and it is not like they have accidentally pushed her towards her demise, no.

They neither were forced to do it by someone else nor had they any misunderstanding with MC. They totally knew what they were doing. The people whom MC has trusted and considered her family have planned for a long-term step-by-step fraud that will eventually lead to MC’s assassination. This is not grey, this is totally an evil deed that should be punished.

I’m sure that with how their relationship was before this whole situation MC would have never thrown them away or left without support had they continued their nice family act and without scheming.

But because of their greed to get MC’s title and fortune that have never belonged to her step-mother and step-sister, they now have to go back to being commoners and rely on themselves.

15. Samnamu

Samnamu Member

Reading List:
    Link

You’re correct that many of the family members don’t consider themselves ‘superior’ and define their toxic blood as a curse—but that’s exactly why they’re so horrified about the abusive father’s actions. That’s why it’s a BETRAYAL to them as a family. If they all believed themselves to be ‘superior’ then what he was doing wouldn’t be shocking to anyone in the family, it would be normal. The fact that his ‘superiority’ claim is ridiculous IS THE POINT. It’s supposed to sound stupid and delusional. The reveal of the poison blood wouldn’t make the clan superior, it would make them vulnerable. But the thing is, the family is ALREADY on the edge of being too powerful or too vulnerable. People are ALREADY trying to destroy them, the family is ALREADY considered monsters, the Imperial family has been trying to collar them for awhile. In the eyes of the abusive father, the family has been backed into a corner and nobody in the clan is doing anything to defeat their enemies. So HE decides to do something about it, even though it would be deeply taboo within their family. Also, because he’s the one fathering the children, all his kids would have the poison blood curse. Therefore, it doesn’t matter if a woman is “low born” because the results would be the same—a child with poison blood. Only Lapileon women have children that do not inherit the family curse.

Also, a non Lapileon woman being permitted to keep/raise a Lapileon child with the blood curse is actually the thing that would make the least sense. As you’ve said in a previous post, the family are closely knit and private, an insular clan due to their curse. So why would they let the mother, an outsider of the clan, keep the child? A child younger than Celphi, when the story established that the curse is especially volatile in kids? And if they’re such a close knit clan why would they believe documents? They said they interrogate family members every month, unless apparently you’re a child, the most vulnerable members of the clan, in which case nobody bothers to talk to you. Sure greed is a good motivator for lying and being a horrible person, but in this case it also makes the Lapileon’s look straight up neglectful rather than having been deceived and betrayed by their own. Like seriously why would Islette be left alone with people who are vulnerable to the toxic blood and who are also her only caretakers? If Islette accidentally killed her mom and her stepfamily were the Lapileon’s just gonna wait until the forged documents weren’t coming in as usual anymore to check in on her? That’s utterly ridiculous.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  16. RegisteredToAskAThing

RegisteredToAskAThing Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Zip File with the ALL the illustrations in single images, without depending on Naver
    https://ufile.io/qkoy2p39
    30 days expiration

17. pearlcloudi

pearlcloudi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From my view, it more isn't a deal of superiority but a longing to be recognized by the world instead of being shut out from society. The Lapileons think that their blood is a curse and so many of them cannot go into society or at least feel shunned from the outside world. It seems that Islet's father does think their blood is cursed, but longs for recognition or the feeling of superiority. It's like the father is tired of being like this, he may be having this thought process: "we are all supposed to hide it, but its really powerful. Maybe if I show the world how powerful our curse is, we can finally gain some respect(even if its from fear) and be recognized". I see the father as someone who has gone insane from not being able to be like "normal" people and I think it's a nice change, of course it doesn't mean he gets to abuse and exploit Islet.
    Also, I agree with that there's nothing grey about the step family. Although, it would change things if the step family was actually genuine, then that could possibly be argued as "grey".

Edit: I also want to clarify that a "grey" character is not a character who has had bad things happen to them and then also does bad things, that's more of a villain "backstory": a villain is given a sad backstory as a motive and motivation for doing bad things, which is not pacifying or justification, just a motive. A grey character is a character who isn't exactly evil but isn't exactly good either. The stepfamily are quite clearly evil, even if they were good to the FL previously(It isn't entirely clear whether their treatment of FL when she was young was genuine or fake)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2022
  18. Naty2000

Naty2000 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone remember what chapter when everyone reacts to finding out that she’s going to leave in a year I want to read that chapter so bad I left off during that chapter and I cannot find it.

19. kieranfortier

kieranfortier Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So, why is the butler so shocked by the news that MC will leave after one year XD?

does she tell the family about the contract in the novel too or is this a change made to the manhwa version?

20. magfuentes

magfuentes Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    shouahang58 likes this.