Question What Translating Group Is The Best To Join?

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by malberta, Jul 15, 2022.

Tags:
  1. malberta

malberta Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm looking for a translating group to join but I'm a beginner. I can't tell which is the best. Can anyone help me analyze them? Including the pay

2. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have any foreign language experience? Such as Korean, Chinese, or Japanese?

3. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    You should atleast post your pro's and con's.
    Something like a simple biodata without giving much details to yourself but atleast give the details you are good at.

Because there are a lot of TL groups here that does purely single language or multiple languages.

4. malberta

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks for the tip.

I'm interested in Chinese novels, but I don't speak Chinese. I just MTL.

5. Raven Evernight

Raven Evernight But they never just accepted me for the way I was…

Reading List:
    Link
    If you mtl don’t even try being translator unless you can actually translate it properly in good quality mtl is trash

6. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    No offense but some of the groups here requires certification. Since some of them pay actual translators with certifications/licenses. Not to mention chinese is a very diverse language.

Maybe try out doing it by your own for the mean time and maybe gain experience or get certified.

7. malberta

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm intNot really. I just MTL.
    I MTL and edit. I'm a writer myself and I know what quality writing looks like. Many people do good work with MTL. I do too or else I might as well not bother.

I think there might be a misunderstanding here. I MTL but I edit and check from other sources for accuracy. And when I said pay, I meant from ads. Unless translating groups don't do that.
    Which I thought they did. Based on the recruitment pages of some sites I read novels from. They accept mtlers too. I just want to know which one has the best work environment.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
  8. KageTokage

KageTokage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    They receive ad revenue. There are also donations from readers.
    All I know is don't pick Webnovel/Qidian International, since most readers prefer to go through aggregator sites than support them. For very valid reasons (you can find multiple posts about that on this site).
    On a different vein, WuxiaWorld doesn't accept MLT to my knowledge but that may've changed. It's been awhile since I checked.

malberta likes this.
  9. Bobwillrule

Bobwillrule Supreme Ruler of Bobylon

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, all of the groups are all good. You can try travis or foxaholic first since they're bigger groups so more resources ig? Of course, you could always join a group and if you don't like it, you could leave as long as you don't sign a contract (Most groups won't require one).

Seafall and malberta like this.
  10. Reaper Scans

Reaper Scans Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you're MTL, you should actually study the language first before asking about what groups to join as a translator.

Just because you check from other sources doesn't mean you're translating well. Just because you're putting in more effort than others doesn't mean you're not playing a guessing game.

11. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Listen, do you have backgrounds in translating? You want to get paid but what can you bring to the table? Good translations is not the only thing you need to have when joining a group. You need discipline and the ability to meet deadlines.

Click the Recruitment prefix under this subforum, check their requirements and seek the translators who are recruiting. Maybe you won't even pass their recruitment tests. I'm not trying to discourage you but you want to get paid for doing MTL as a fan translator, then you need to show your own quality.

It's different if you already have your own website and already pushed out releases. That gives more credibility to your background, they could check your readership, your quality and your frequency. If you're good at all these then those groups will swarm at you or if you show that in their DM, they will offer you instead of you having to seek a place yourself.

Luukia, hoenimochi and nonononononono like this.