Discussion JP Protagonists Are Too Nice

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Kumo723, Jul 18, 2022.

1. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    Does anyone else thinks Japanese protagonist are WAY to goodie two shoes? They are mostly 100% good and many of them don't even want to kill. Some argued that it's because it's targeted towards kids, honestly that's unnecessary. In my childhood, there's a show call Rainbow Cat and Blue Rabbit. He's a good guy, too and full of justice. but that doesn't mean he won't hurt or kill anyone. It's because he knew when and when not to show this goodness. And sometimes, he can get very angry and kill people even they're not the bad guys. This is a example of a better "good' protagonist. There should be a balance.

But I notice the thing with JP protagonists are they are WAY too one sided on the good. They whine about hurting ppl or killing someone and thinks everyone can be brought to the good side. I just watched Darwin Game after a long time not watching anime and OH BOY the memories are coming back to me. All the bad memories.

Eishun and anon like this.
  2. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to think so too. Then I watched jurassic park and they release dinosaurs just so that 1 girl won't cry.

Nothing could beat that stupidity.

3. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    depend on the type you watch there many variation~ really~ the thing is thing thing thinking...... too many type of story on anime and manga compares to comic and cartoon so~
    is Kenshin Himura too nice? yeah if ignore his past~
    is Kira "Jesus" Yamato too nice? maybe?
    is Nobita too nice? yes and he is an idiot~
    Is Shinchan too nice? on general yes but he can be meanie while absolutely a pevert~
    so on so forth~

4. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup, I agree, that's why when I found MGA a few years ago I say "Woooow, this is how MC should act, killing people as easy as stepping on ants" and a thousand chapters later I quit because all characters are idiots including the MC.
    There are few novels where JP MC does not hesitate to kill the enemy but yeah they're quite rare.

I think you can say this is their trademark of MC (no-kill policy)

Jojo775 likes this.
  5. Deadmantellnotales

Deadmantellnotales rebmeM nwonK-lleW

Reading List:
    Link
    I think their culture is influencing their Novels.

I think Shinchan is outright sexual harassment IYAM. It was bad enough that my country banned it.

Jojo775 likes this.
  6. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    cuz he is a kid and pervert

Deadmantellnotales likes this.
  7. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    its so annoying. Main reason when I discovered Chinese protagonist I COMPLETELY abandoned anime. I just couldn't find the motivation to watch anime anymore. CN protagonists kill for the pettiest reasons but I still find them better than these no kills. Like come on!! Can't u just dislike someone?? hate someone??

I dont think ShinChan counts... The adults HATES it when us kids watches Shin-chan. they only lets us watch if we were behaving especially well that day.

These movies

XxSicariusxX and Eishun like this.
  8. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    Ah yes after watching Jurassic Park I even felt like personally entering TV and murdering them for putting whole mankind at risk.
    I think these anime are aimed at Japanese otakus so maybe they have some weird fantasy like being a knight in shining armor. Don't know how can anyone explain that in some other ways.

9. thegoldenboy2188

thegoldenboy2188 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    ...Jujutsu Kaisen, Bleach, Chainsaw Man, etc. There is a bunch of shonen where MC's are willing to kill. Idk wtf you're on about.

10. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    its still the minority

they certainly like the "ordinary" guy trope

11. thegoldenboy2188

thegoldenboy2188 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    [​IMG] No, no they are not. again what do you think the et cetera is for?

FOTS
    JOJO
    YYH
    HxH
    et cetera

There are hundreds of Japanese MC's who are willing to kill.

Hell if we're not binding ourselves to shonen there's Overlord, where the MC literally kills 70,000 people.

Also, the type of story being told has an effect. You aren't expecting the MC of a romance shojo manga to take up a knife and stab someone to death right?

Seriously this kind of opinion shows that you don't really watch anime or manga, well you said you watched fuckin Darwin's Game so it makes sense.

It's like saying that kid shows are kiddy when you have Gravity Falls with bleeding animal heads and Bill Cipher, or Kamen Rider which kills off characters every time Santa Claus comes to town.

12. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    There are plenty of anime like Cautious Hero and Finest Assassin, but if you watch a high schooler thrown into world of killing, they're gonna react sterotypically.

13. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's the problem of world view.

Most JP MC still follow the rule from our world, where murder is considered as wrong and most of them follow the golden rule of Effort, Friendship, Victory.

While CN MC while some may at first follow that rule, but once they kill, they will be the most ruthless person in the world since they didn't bat an eye for doing a massacre.

Are every JP MC kind and pacifist? Obviously it's a no and are every CN MC fond of massacre? welp no.

Just look at these Japanese fantasy MC :
    Ainz Ooal Gown
    Tanya von Degurechaff
    Natsuki Subaru
    Rimuru Tempest
    Yoji Itami

^^^
    All above has commit massacre and they're still perceived as kind (Tanya included) but the kindness of course wasn't toward their enemies, but their surbodinates.

Then there's CN MC who still retain their kindness (humanity) as they grow like

Roland WImbledon
    Klein Moretti
    Zhang Heng
    Song Shuhang
    Chen Ge
    ^^^

They're kind and ruthless when they need to, but never overdo it like most CN MC.

But welp, I think the reason why most CN MC is ruthless has to do with the fact that they have lost part of their humanity in exchange for immortality.

For they aren't considering themselves to be the same as a mere mortals.

14. CrimsonHazel

CrimsonHazel [Sarcastic Green Tea]

Reading List:
    Link
    Jujutsu kaisen and Bleach is a wrong example imho
    Both MC is willing to kill but also is a goody two shoes with saving people thing
    I think all jump MC is like this though

A good example of a not-nice MC would be anti hero MC like Lelouch from Code Geass where while he absolutely want peace, he'll do everything to achieve it no matter how bad

15. Kumo723

Kumo723 玄夜的帝后

Reading List:
    Link
    Kinda like Light. I was actually considering watching that, but haven't found the motivation to start anything new to watch

16. tears

tears New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it depends on the genre, some protagonists are kind, some are crazy, and some can be pretty vicious actually..
    Surely the majority does have some kind of morality in many anime, but it's probably the point of that story, to give a positive message even in a terrible situation..

Kumo723 likes this.