Gas prices and Public Transport

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pass1478, Jul 17, 2022.

1. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    I've recently been thinking of just giving up on driving and just going for public transport, mainly for 2 reasons: first, the traffick. The city I live in has too many individual vehicles and not enough road space, causic some of the worst traffick in my country, I think we ranked first on worst traffick (in the country) at some point, the fact that we have some of the most egotistic drivers is not helping. Subway's also just a few minutes walk from where I live. Second, and the main reason, gas prices. Last time I checked, it was around $5 something per gallon premium. Last year it was literally close to half that price, what the f*ck. Literally wringing my pockets dry just to drive to work.

So yeah, have any of you guys just decided to go for public transport instead of driving?

Deleted member 445404 and Mnotia like this.
  2. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    Thankfully I don’t have to drive to work. But yeah totally sucks. If only someone didn’t prevent the renewal of leases for the drilling of oil domestically and sold our strategic reserves of oil to a foreign country that paid his son money

Fishy_MC_FishMan likes this.
  3. Tafyunn

Tafyunn Gimme your recommendatio- *yawns*

Reading List:
    Link
    I have EXTREME car sickness so yeah, unless I really have no choice, most of the time I just use public transport. (I recommend it, although its still pretty expensive depending on what pt you're riding and where you're going, compared to car gas, car maintenance etc. its much much cheaper). I think the last time I regularly used a car to go to and fro from place to place was more than 10 years ago haha. :blobsalute:

4. Deus1

Deus1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Walking for the win. Yea the prices here increased over the years on gas as well. They doubled here too. But the government has lately reduced them by maybe 20 percent

5. Fishy_MC_FishMan

Fishy_MC_FishMan The Fishiest of Fishes

Reading List:
    Link
    I've heard some people say good things about electric bicycles, and electric scooters. As a transportation option it no doubt doesn't work for all locations, and circumstances, but something to consider at least.

6. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I actually either have my parents drive me places or I just walk.

I dont really trust public transport cause pissy bus seats and some people dont know how to bathe.

plus even if I did have the ability to drive I dont think I would. Roads are congested, gas is high and the risk of an accident due to unkept roads is too fucking high.

Video above is really nice.

7. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who relies mainly on public transport:- transport fares have increased too ah

8. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Public transport here is a menace.
    With traffic jam every busy hours, I'll get dizzy, hot, dehydrate and nauseous. I have car/train sickness too.
    So my option is buying gasoline for my motorbike or take the 2 wheel taxy.

Deleted member 445404 likes this.
  9. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Just the thought of rubbing shoulders with plebeians makes me ill. :blobspearpeek:

But it's more of public transport timings not being flexible enough to accommodate the tardy me.

10. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Or you can get an electric car or bike.

I am sure that even a hybrid will save you a lot on gas

11. Miserys_End

Miserys_End 「Lv1 Pretend Person」I'm the preson i pretend to be

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly depends on your lifestyle. For me I live in the middle of nowhere, where public transportation is scarce. An EV / hybrid would be nice, but ATM they are prohibitively expensive and chronically out of stock. Bicycles neither have the range nor cargo capacity for my needs and the hills around here are another major obstacle.

On the flipside when i lived in Sweden a bike took me most places i needed to go, and public transportation or a rental covered the times it couldn't. It was more inconvenient at times because it took planning to arrange travel and as I've never liked crowds, could be annoying. But you take what you are given.

Honestly i prefer the freedom i have now. Im rarely beholden to others and enjoy driving. Public transportation is marginally cheeper, but comes with restrictions that make it impractical for me to do my job. I am hoping the EV bottleneck will loosen up shortly, but with the discrepancy between the specs of auto manufacturers and tech industries, I'm not going to hold my breath.

12. PeanutButter and 23 others

PeanutButter and 23 others Purple Platypus Bear w/ Pink Horn & Silver Wing

Reading List:
    Link
    Use bus and bring a folding bicycle, buses in here is nice and comfy:blob_pompom:

13. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I do have a driving license, but driving honestly scares me and also feels too overwhelming to me. I tried it a few times after getting my license and gave up pretty fast.

So I take the bus to go to farther away places, and walk when I need to go to nearby places. It works well enough to me.

And well, cars are stupidly expensive in both initial cost and on gas+maintenance+taxes cost, so I never seriously considering buying one... It's just not worth it IMO.

14. Fishofrank

Fishofrank Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm taking summer school at my local community college right now, I get free transportation with a bus card offered to students. However, I still drive to school everyday. A 15 minute transit turns into a hour if I choose to take the bus. That said, if I lived closer where biking or walking was an option, I'd defiantly go for that, but for longer distance trips, public transportation isn't practical

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    the problem, public transportation on this cat country still not good enuf..... limited to big city sigh~
    this cat prefer public transport cuz too lazy drive da bike myself but there no alternative so~

16. Vanidor

Vanidor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    US gas companies are deliberately underproducing oil because it's making them more money, it has nothing to do with leases. They aren't using all the fields they have at max capacity. Oil company CEO after CEO has answered on various business channels that they are responding to shareholders wanting to make more money, especially after years of volatile stock value. Exxon($30,000,000,000 worth) and Chevron($10,000,000,000) for example are buying back stock with profits instead of increasing production with it.

Oil companies are also a bit worried that the fact that electric cars will waste their investments over time. BP has already planned to cut their production over the next decade by 40%.

One guy's perspective:

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  17. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more focused on those billboard signs, truly the land of the free
    [​IMG]
    Also, my city does not accommodate bikes or walking in general. The infrastructure somewhat requires you to have a car.

I absolutely adore the idea of cities promoting public transport more as compared to private transport. Like, look at Japan and their infrastructure. Tokyo literally is the biggest Megacity in the world, and yet it still has spaces for multiple Parks and greenery, goes to show how much space can be saved if there weren't so many parking lots. Man I hate parking lots, they take up so much space and look so horrid.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    Mnotia likes this.
  18. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't drive anyway. However, our public transport is facing bankruptcy. Then I guess I'll have to walk everywhere.

19. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link

Kirsten Dunst!!! ::bloblove::::bloblove::::bloblove::

I need to watch Spiderman again.

I am no expert so I just gave suggestions.

Personally, I will cut on other expenses and gas won't be so annoying.
    Maybe getting an inverter at home and earning credits with it.
    I think it's sometimes best to solve things indirectly.

Hopefully, my suggestions inspired you.

Cheers!