Discussion I'm bored of reading novels

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Neph90, Jul 21, 2022.

1. Neph90

Neph90 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not as interested in novel as I used to be because the new ones are like copy-paste. İ can't find any original works anymore so what should i do?

2. Meap

Meap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    An option that opened many possibilities is mtl (machinetranslation). Takes time to get used to it but some novels are quite nice even with a machine translating it.

Also:

- Take a short break
    - Write your own stuff, might be shit, someone might like it
    - Alter between stuff (personally between Video Games, Fanfiction and novels)
    - Look into more niche novels (Not those on the rankings)

3. Blossom_Honey

Blossom_Honey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk, go back to English books I guess. Or try a new genre. Like I’m not good with horror, but I’ve found some interesting ones in that area and it’s often overlooked/unpopular because horror is definitely not something everyone would enjoy (and it’s kind of hard to get scared whilst reading a novel so that helps if you’re a scaredy cat like me lol). Maybe you could also play around with the tag settings and dig into some of the more niche ones or do random combos to see if you generate anything interesting.

You could also look at translated works from other countries like Spain or Italy if you’re up to it.

hypersniper159, Ash_Kira and ngard like this.
  4. ngard

ngard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Get a new hobby?
    Alternatively, you could try to read some "real" books, not to offend anyone, but you know what I mean, not sure how to phrase it. I have heard a lot of people find it easy to transition from novels to fantasy books in particular, although it might not be the same for you.
    Personally, I find it much easier to find something that isn't "copy-paste" from these types of books instead, although I can't really recommend any books in that genre (if that's what you like).

What the person said above might be more helpful though:blobsweat_2:

fantasy likes this.
  5. MisterBubbles

MisterBubbles [The Omnipotent No. 2 at Everything]

Reading List:
    Link
    You can do a few things:

1) If you still want to read novels on this site, ask on the forum for some unique or genuinely good novels. It could help if you specify a specific thing. One time I asked for info dump novels because I wanted to see deeper world building.

2) You can read books that aren't novels on this site. I consider the novels here fun and easy reads because they are rarely anything in-depth. Sometimes a genuine change of pace can help that itch of wanting something different.

3) Consume different media for awhile. Idk games or movies, etc.

Either way distracting yourself from these novels with something different is probably your best bet.

6. ellie357

ellie357 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    try some manhwa/manga/manhua for a slightly different flavour? idk but best of
    luck

7. Professor Baka De DeluPerv

Professor Baka De DeluPerv Consumer of Plastic Toys

Reading List:
    Link
    Anime, Manga, and Gaming~

8. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whenever I find myself reading a lot of bad books, I just go and read better books. If all the books you read are bad, then that usually means that you don't actually like the kind of stories that you think you like.

9. ExiledMage

ExiledMage Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ughhhh there’s so many things to do to fulfill your enjoyment in this world, first if you don’t want read web novel’s then find a book in a genre you like in goodreads, if you want to read original novels go to royalroad if you finish that, read some very good light novel’s if also you also finish that go read the few very good webtoons if you also finish that start reading webtoons horror because it’s peak if you also finish that then start getting in manhwa, after you finish most of the good manhwa’s start with manga/manhua if you became into comics, after that start watching peak animes, after that you could also watch good movies and tv shows!

10. Deleted member 343155

Deleted member 343155 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Watch series/movies instead. Sometimes when I get bored of reading I start watching

11. xiao Yi

xiao Yi I told you to forget me but you stayed by my side.

Reading List:
    Link
    I've experienced this too before the pandemic. I went back to my old hobbies like reading manhua, manga and watching anime. Then, I the excitement of reading "no pictures" aka novels went back again. And this time, I am more openminded when it comes to different genres. I even like the undiscovered gems, since its more exciting and fun.
    Still, you can do a lot more like going out with friends or go to random places alone. Even spending time with your family can help.
    Trust me, if you love reading, it will always come back ♡
    v(=∩_∩=)フ

AnneGriffin likes this.
  12. Luminescent

Luminescent Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah that happens to me a lot. I would try out new genres or novels from different countries. For example if you have been reading Korean novels, try out Chinese or JP ones, or vice versa. If you can say the genre or types of novels you used to enjoy maybe I can think of some recommendations that you would like.

13. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Take a break, refresh your mind. Go to YouTube or something.

You use to enjoy them but you just got used to it that you can probably predict the ending just by 5 chapters in so it got boring.

ngl novels got shittier, and I saw a video before that says the novels in china got so mainstream everyone wants to write one so they are like being mass produced by people to earn passive income, they adapt the concept and layout as the old and popular ones because that's what the readers want.

14. iwillsay

iwillsay Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    try reading any short fanfics or scenarios (1k-5k words)

15. Ginko Biloba

Ginko Biloba [♤Blackjack Sect Mascot♤] [☆100MB SPAMMER☆]

Reading List:
    Link
    Take a break and maybe volunteer to be Ginko's Auction House's newest product?

melomarl likes this.
  16. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    I was reading the translated LN and then I went to MTL and wow is it so much better, the translation just butchered everything.

17. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    MANGA! Always the better choice! My recommendation - Eden its a Endless world ( action drama), Franken Fran (gore), Dorohedoro ( action comedy), 7 seeds (survival), Beck (music), Binbougami ga ( comedy), Liar Game (psychology), Hikaru no Go (boardgame), Holyland (fighting) etc etc.

Check out my recommendation in Mangaupdates, I have the same name - whitespade.

18. amilhs

amilhs Moon Walker

Reading List:
    Link
    Watch anime or read manga and you can always come back again if you'll be bored to the two...then if you'll be bored again in reading novels. Back again in watching or reading anime and manga...then cycle continues until you die..xD
    Hahahaha