Novel Martial Dawn (Romance set in a Cultivation Setting)(Book One, Two, & Three Done)

Discussion in 'Community Fictions' started by Nikushimi, Jun 23, 2022.

1. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Seven:
    A Danger to Chastity

Zheng Ya could hardly believe the rumors when she returned from her families estate. Zhu Fan'Hua, the Black Lotus, the Cold-Hearted Jade, had a lover. Not only that, but he was considered to be a waste. Someone who couldn't leave Base Stage 5.

Zheng Ya had always loved to take what was meant for others. It gave her a thrill. It was a challenge. Ever since she was young whenever she was told she couldn't have something, she'd take it. Just to prove that she could, in fact, have it.

Even more so when that something was someone else's. This "An'Shen" wasn't anything too special. He wasn't handsome like some of the boys she's stolen. He definitely wasn't strong, being stuck as he was at Base Stage 5. Yet, he was Zhu Fan'Hua's. That made him better than any other.

Just why did Zhu Fan'Hua take an interest in him? She had never shown any interest in anyone. Boy or girl. Yet, Zhu Fan'Hua had chosen this boy. Average in many aspects, yet he had a bit of intelligence.

According to rumors he studied hard. Currently enrolled in the Bestial Studies and Medicinal Pressure Point courses. Areas of study that require little to no mana control. Of course, to utilize it in battle would. Though he didn't seem like someone who would fight.

The way he hid behind Zhu Fan'Hua was rather adorable. He trusted her. Zheng Ya could tell. She was rather versed in reading people. At least, she believed so. She wouldn't be who she was if she didn't think so highly of herself.

"Zheng Ya," One of the Butterflies asked, "Is he even worth it?"

They were skeptical, which made sense to Zheng Ya. He wasn't anything of interest. The only curious thing is that he was Zhu Fan'Hua's. That alone made him worth it.

"He's Zhu Fan'Hua's," Zheng Ya replied, smiling mischievously, "Something that is incredibly off limits..."

The look in Zheng Ya's eyes told the Butterflies all they needed to know. She wanted him. They all looked at each other rather anxiously. They knew who Zhu Fan'Hua was. They knew what she was capable of. Zheng Ya was playing a dangerous game.

She would never touch what was theirs, because they were her people. She would, however, mess with anyone and everyone else. No matter how protected or untouchable they seemed. Because they all owed her in one way or another, they knew that they would be helping her.

It was something they all, in that moment, steeled themselves for.
    -----

"An'Shen!" A cheery, bright voice called after me.

A shiver ran up my spine. It was Zheng Ya. I had just gotten done with Medicinal Pressure Points and had a few minutes before Zhu Fan'Hua came to get me. Glancing around nervously, it was just me and her, with a few other students walking about. Though they seemed to avoid us.

Something was wrong with how they all avoided eye contact. I finally noticed the source. Several women in archers' garb in various places in the area. Sighing, I looked towards Zheng Ya, knowing I could not avoid whatever it was she had planned.

I knew I couldn't run, and Zhu Fan'Hua had warned me she would try something.

"She will most likely find you when I'm not around," She had informed me while brushing my hair, "If she does, don't run. You won't be able to. Just wait for me."

I had no choice but to wait. However, I wouldn't just let her do whatever she wanted.

"...Y-Yes, Senior Zheng Ya?" I asked as nonchalantly as I could.

My nerves got the better of me and I ended up stuttering. A smile crossing her face as she caught it.

"Now, now," She teased, "No need to be so nervous. I won't bite...much."

A smile that sent shivers across my body appeared on her face. It was like that of a predator, and I was the prey. I found myself taking an unconscious step backwards. My back only finding the wall. A faint hint of strawberry wafted into my nose. Zheng Ya was mere inches from me.

She stood a bit taller than me, but shorter than Zhu Fan'Hua. I felt my heart racing fasters. She was way too close to me. So close that I could almost feel her body against me. I had no way out.

"Don't be so nervous," She cooed, her hand coming up to brush my cheek, "I-"

I instinctively went to smack her hand away, but it was caught instead.

"My, how feisty," She taunted, her eyes amused, "I don't mind feisty..."

I tried wrenching my hand free, but couldn't. She was rather...forward. I had not expected her to try this right away. To get so close to me like this was definitely inappropriate.

"You know," She thought, tilting her head, "I was curious what she saw in you, but I think I may see it...your reactions are rather cute."

Her free hand pressed itself against my chest, pushing me further against the wall. My heart was beating heavily. Zhu Fan'Hua often did this to me as well, but with her I enjoyed it. This...I didn't like this.

"N-No..." I muttered weakly, struggling against her, "L-Let go of me..."

"Oh?" She raised an eyebrow, "Come on, it's not that bad, is it? Your heart is beating quite fast."

She was getting closer to pressing her body against me. I could only close my eyes as I struggled to get away, but suddenly she stopped. Opening my eyes slightly, I saw her. Zhu Fan'Hua.

I felt immediate relief. Zheng Ya was frozen as she felt the chill in the air. Her smile stuck on her face as she looked at me.

"...She's behind me, isn't she?" Zheng Ya asked me, to which I slowly nodded, "Ah, I see..."

With that, Zhu Fan'Hua grabbed her hand which held me and freed it. Lifting her by the collar of her shirt, making her face her. Zheng Ya gave a rather nervous, dismissive smile and laugh.

"H-Hey, Zhu Fan'Hua," She greeted, "I was just saying hi to your-"

"Zheng Ya," Zhu Fan'Hua interrupted, "I am well aware of what you were doing."

I was finally able to catch my breath. The Butterflies, as Zhu Fan'Hua told me they were called, all began dispersing. The danger was over for now.

"An'Shen," Zhu Fan'Hua addressed me softly, "Are you alright?"

"Y-Yeah..." I responded, smiling slightly, "Just...a bit shaken."

Zheng Ya flinched at my words, "C-Come on now, it wasn't that ba-"

"Zheng Ya," Zhu Fan'Hua narrowed her eyes at her, "An'Shen needs to rest now...And you need to cool off."

"Oh...Well, it was nice seeing you!" Zheng Ya waved at me before Zhu Fan'Hua got rid of her.

Anchoring herself, Zhu Fan'Hua gathered energy around her. In one motion she threw Zheng Ya away. I watched as she went flying over the railing of the nearby walkway. It was so sudden that I grew slightly concerned.

"Don't worry," Zhu Fan'Hua placed her hand upon my head, "It won't hurt her...unfortunately."

Sure enough, I watched as Zheng Ya gathered herself, twisting in the air and landing softly before running away. It was such a strange interaction that I wondered at just what Zhu Fan'Hua and Zheng Ya's relationship was.

"...Is she dangerous?" I wondered, looking up at her, "You said she'd come after me, but..."

"She won't physically harm you," She answered, "As I said, she'll try to mess with you. The only danger...is your chastity. Of course, that will be mine."

She looked down at me, causing me to look away as my entire body felt like it was on fire. Her cool gaze and words caused me to feel incredibly shy and embarrassed. I wasn't sure if I was ready to do any of that with anyone.

However, if I did there was only one person I wanted to. Mustering what I could, I peeked up at Zhu Fan'Hua. A small, bashful smile on my face as I shifted under her hand. Such talk I may not be quite ready for.
    -----

2. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Eight:
    Watchful Eyes

Ever since Zheng Ya made a move on me after class, Zhu Fan'Hua was never far. Every time Zheng Ya appeared, Zhu Fan'Hua was immediately there. Waiting.

Going to class. Eating lunch. Walking home. Even one time when I had to use the bathroom. Any time she believed that Zhu Fan'Hua wasn't around. Yet, each time she was. Before she could even do anything.

After a while, I didn't even see her at all. Something, however, told me that she was around, but whenever I went to look she was gone. As if she just disappeared before I knew it. Each time I believed it was Zheng Ya, it was instead Zhu Fan'Hua.

Of course, I wasn't unhappy about it. I was able to spend more and more time with Zhu Fan'Hua than ever before because of Zheng Ya. So, it all worked out in the end.

"It's been a bit quiet lately..." I commented as I bit into the sandwich Zhu Fan'Hua brought me, "Do you think she's planning something?"

Zhu Fan'Hua glanced at me as she ate her own food. Miss Su had prepared food for us that Zhu Fan'Hua brought herself. A light breeze blew across the park where we sat. The leaves of the trees blew softly, bringing with it a scent of nature.

"Most likely," She responded, "I wouldn't worry about it though."

"Oh?" I wondered at what she meant, "Why not? I know you'll protect me, but-"

Before I could say another word, Zhu Fan'Hua had placed a strawberry in my mouth. I had no choice but to chew and eat it, pouting slightly as I did. A small smile curled her lips.

"You worry too much," She said softly, making sure I ate, "I didn't do anything to her...Yet. I just prepared a few things."

I decided not to pursue it as I did trust her. Something in what she said though made me curious. Just what did she prepare?
    -----

Sima Ai'Li held Zheng Ya down as they watched Zhu Fan'Hua and An'Shen eat. The moment the An'Hua Fan Club heard about Zheng Ya's antics; they went into action. It was Zhu Fan'Hua who approached them. She couldn't always be nearby and so it fell to them to secure Zheng Ya.

Even when Zhu Fan'Hua was around, she didn't want to always have to deal with Zheng Ya. Instead, wanting to enjoy her time with An'Shen. So, Sima Ai'Li found herself covering the mouth of Zheng Ya while holding her down. She had long since stopped struggling. Instead, she silently watched with Sima Ai'Li while pouting.

Zhu Fan'Hua knew they were there, but chose to ignore it. As she fed An'Shen food, they noticed the look she gave them. "Stay silent or die." And neither of them wanted to die so they remained perfectly still. After several moments they left and Zheng Ya was free.

"Ah!" She gasped for breath as she sat back, "Damn, you've grown stronger...can't you let me breath?"

"And ruin their moment?" Sima Ai'Li asked, "I don't know about you, but I'd like to stay on Zhu Fan'Hua's good side. Besides...An'Shen is my friend. You need to stop."

"But I want him!" She pouted, slamming her fist on the ground, "Zhu Fan'Hua can't just monopolize him!"

Sima Ai'Li could not believe this girl. The only reason she wanted him was because he was Zhu Fan'Hua's. She knew nothing about An'Shen besides that. She didn't know anything of An'Shen's good points.

He was kind, generous, and soft. He was a timid boy with good intentions. Though he held some trauma that she wasn't all too privy to herself. Sima Ai'Li always wondered about his past, but she didn't pry. He was a good friend.

Ever since the day her brother and her saved him, they've come to know one another at least a little bit. At first Zhu Fan'Hua kept them at bay. She had a suspicion early on, and on the day of the duel it was confirmed. She was happy for them. Many were.

So when she heard Youshan started a fan club, she immediately joined along with her brother. There were many others as well. Most were keeping the Butterflies away while she and a few others kept Zheng Ya herself at bay.

"Honestly..." Sima Ai'Li leaned forward, flicking Zheng Ya on the forehead, "Control yourself. It's sad, really."

She held her forehead, pouting as she glared at Sima Ai'Li.

"I won't give up!" She stated, "Not until I-"

A chill arose in the air. Sima Ai'Li saw before Zheng Ya, but she knew. Zhu Fan'Hua was standing behind her. Zheng Ya froze midsentence as if caught doing something wrong.

"Did An'Shen return to class then?" Sima Ai'Li asked as she stood up.

She nodded, looking down at Zheng Ya, "You. What were you saying?"

"N-Nothing," Zheng Ya dismissed, shaking her head vigorously, "Absolutely nothing. I'll just-"

Zhu Fan'Hua grabbed Zheng Ya before she could get too far.

"Zheng Ya," Zhu Fan'Hua addressed her coolly, "Do you not tire of this? It's been almost a month."

Sima Ai'Li had wondered the same thing. Zheng Ya, if anything, was persistent. Yet, she often gave up if denied after a while. As selfish and arrogant as she was, she often grew bored quickly.

"Oh please," She smiled wryly, "It may be difficult, but that just means it's worth it. I'm not bored in the slightest!"

"...Then, prepare to be disappointed," Zhu Fan'Hua responded, dropping her on the ground with a thud.
    -----

Zhu Fan'Hua made sure to continually thwart Zheng Ya's attempts at getting closer to An'Shen. She had gotten a lot smarter and began using the Butterflies instead of herself. Often acting as friendly students who needed help with something. An'Shen being who he was, wouldn't say no to helping someone in need.

However, anytime Zhu Fan'Hua showed up they would suddenly make an excuse and leave quickly. Often leaving An'Shen scratching his head in confusion since the task they asked for help with was left undone. The goal was always to get him somewhere more secluded, but they never succeeded.

Zhu Fan'Hua would never deny An'Shen from getting friends. She was possessive, but not unreasonable. It was unfortunate that those who approached him were under Zheng Ya's influence. Boy or girl they all worked for her. Owing some favor or another to be repaid.

The only thing that bothered Zhu Fan'Hua about this is how dejected An'Shen looked and felt anytime they would run away. So often this happened that Zhu Fan'Hua started to watch from a distance to make sure that the "task" got done. A way to make sure that they didn't run away and An'Shen was completely safe. His smile for helping them was worth it.

Luckily, he seemed blissfully unaware of their intentions. Only thinking that they ran away because they were scared of Zhu Fan'Hua. This upset him one day. As a student began to ran away, he grabbed them by the sleeve and, in typical puppy dog fashion, got them to stay.

It was an awkward time at lunch between the three of them. Zhu Fan'Hua's gaze never left the girl. A look that said, "Eat and be happy about it." to which they did. Of course, they quickly left after eating. Making an excuse as always.

"...I'm sorry," An'Shen apologized, "I tried to make them see you're not that scary..."

He was so sweet and innocent sometimes. It was one of many reasons that Zhu Fan'Hua loved him.

"It's alright," She reassured him, placing a hand upon his head, "I don't mind it, but it bothers you, doesn't it?"

He pouted slightly, "A bit...you're not a horrible person so why do they always run?"

It was cute that he got so angry on her behalf. Though part of what he said wasn't entirely true.

"An'Shen..." She spoke softly, "There are things I've done...they have their reasons."

"Even so!" He exclaimed, arms opening widely in anger, "If they got to know you, they'd know you're not so bad..."

Suddenly, his entire demeanor changed. He grew quiet and she saw it in his eyes. The sadness.

"After all...you love someone like me," He muttered quietly, "How can someone like that...be horrible?"

The pain in her heart was great, but she didn't let it show. She simply hugged him tightly to herself.

"An'Shen..." She whispered, "I love you not because I'm a good person, but because you are. There are things I've done that-"

He shook his head against her, "Even so..."

The pain in his voice panged her heart. He wanted so desperately for people to like her. To not be afraid of her. It was very sweet of him, but unnecessary. People had to be afraid of her. Fear was what made people wary. Fear is what allowed her to protect him.

"It's alright," She soothed, caressing the back of his head, "I don't mind it. Fear is a necessary tool. Besides, I have you."

He clung to her tightly. His hands digging into the back of her clothes.

"Yes...you do," He nodded, looking up at her, smiling brilliantly, "Always."
    -----

Last edited: Jul 26, 2022
  3. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Nine:
    Free Day

Today was finally a free day. We took time out of our schedules to have the entire day free of lessons. I was incredibly happy to finally have a day off. School wasn't always the easiest and it had been incredibly tiring. I knew I didn't have to go to classes if I didn't want to, but I had made a promise with Zhu Fan'Hua.

"You are free to stay here," She had told me before I started taking classes, "You are free to do anything you wish."

"I-I know..." I had said, but I felt bad, "But...I can't just do nothing..."

"Of course you can," She stated as if it was odd I thought otherwise, "However, if you wish to do this...promise me you won't work too hard. Take days off every now and then."

"I will!" I had exclaimed, happy to be supported.

She told me I had to take days off every now and then so I didn't overwork myself. It was hard to do so as there was so much to learn. I felt like I had to do something because I couldn't cultivate. Youshan and I had even begun experiments with Taixu.

The Mao Long was young and had been out exploring when it met me. Somehow, it took an interest in my unique condition and created a bond with me. Ever since it was never far from me unless it stayed behind with Miss Su and Suyin. We had to learn more about it.

"An'Shen," Zhu Fan'Hua called to me, "Be careful."

I was lost in thought and there were many people walking about. Zhu Fan'Hua held me close, preventing me from running into others.

"S-Sorry, I was just..." I sighed, looking around.

I was supposed to be enjoying today and yet I was still focused on my studies. I wanted to learn more about Taixu. My mind was so foggy right now though that it was difficult to figure anything out. Even talking to Taixu didn't get me answers.

The only thing they told me is that the displaced mana around me was "Yummy". Thankfully, it didn't seem to be any sort of threat to me. Zhu Fan'Hua was even getting used to them. Though she still remained alert.

"...Stay close," She whispered, grabbing me by my hip, "I don't want you getting lost."

I smiled shyly, remembering the words she said a while back.

"The only danger she has is to your chastity. Of course...that will be mine."

Why did she have to say that so bluntly? I couldn't get it out of my head since. My cheeks were burning as I looked away. Shaking my head, now wasn't the time to be distracted.

"The restaurant is close," She informed me, "It isn't like the previous one."

Ever since our first outing, that restaurant seemed to have gone bankrupt and closed. I was told it was because of poor management and bad working conditions. Something told me there was more to it, but I didn't pursue it.

"What do they serve?" I asked, suddenly getting hungry.

She didn't say anything and I knew I would have to see for myself once we arrived.
    -----

The day off was something Zhu Fan'Hua was looking forward to. An'Shen had been working hard and she had been too busy dealing with Zheng Ya to really spend much quality time with him. This time, she made sure that Zheng Ya and the Butterflies wouldn't get in her way. Setting Suyin to keep an eye on her.

With Suyin watching Zheng Ya she could relax, if only a bit. Holding An'Shen close, they proceeded to a nice little restaurant with themes of the Southern Sea. A region of white buildings, tiled red roofs, and the smell of the sea. Ruled by the Cao'Lu Family it is home to many merchants. The food there uses many herbs and spices, as well as many plant-based foods.

What meat was used was often lamb, pork, and chicken. White fish meat with a light taste as well would also be used a lot. Zhu Fan'Hua chose this place because it was a rather special experience that she hoped to share with An'Shen. It was the only place in Starlight City that served anywhere close to Southern Sea Cuisine.

The reason for it being special is because the Zhu Family also had their territory in the Southern Sea, and so the food they served here was food she grew up eating. It had nothing on the food actually made in the Southern Sea, but it was the closest she could get for now.

The building reminded her of home with its white stone walls and red tile roof. There was a seating area outside where people gathered to talk and eat. An'Shen looked around with wonder, his stomach growling as he saw the food. It was cute how he tried to hide it.

"Come on, let's go inside," She ushered him forward.

The moment they entered the outside noise began to quiet down. Inside seemed to be a lot quieter than outside. People were talking in low murmurs and sounds of dishes could be heard. Overall it was a very relaxing atmosphere. The most relaxing being the smell of the food.

It may not be like home for her, but it was close. A server saw them enter and immediately saw to their needs.

"Welcome to the Heron Cafe!" The cheery waiter greeted them, their brown eyes bright, "How may I seat you today?"

"A private room," Zhu Fan'Hua requested, "Third floor."

"Of course!" They smiled, taking out a clipboard, "May I ask the name?"

"..." Zhu Fan'Hua hesitated.

She knew who owned this place. After all, the word "Heron" being used for a Southern Sea business could only be done by one family. The Cao'Lu Family. It was their crest as well as the name of the city they ruled from. Heron City.

"M-Ma'am?" The waiter asked nervously, "I'm sorry, but I will need a name for bill purposes..."

Yes, the Cao'Lu Family were rather meticulous in their paperwork. Anyone who asked for a private room would need to give a name. In case they couldn't fit the bill. That was, of course, absolutely ridiculous because she was Zhu Fan'Hua and could easily pay. That wasn't the reason she didn't want to give her name.

The Zhu Family were allies with the Cao'Lu. If they knew that she was from the Zhu Family they would cause an absolute fuss. She had overlooked this in her excitement to go out with An'Shen.

"A-An'Shen," A small voice spoke up, "The name. An'Shen."

He smiled up reassuringly, squeezing Zhu Fan'Hua's hand.

"Thank you, sir," The waiter bowed her head and motioned for them to follow, "This way please."

Zhu Fan'Hua remained silent but looked down at An'Shen in appreciation. He was nervous, but spoke up when she did not. She knew he understood, if only a bit, because of how he squeezed her hand. She was grateful, but in the future would have to do better.
    -----

4. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Ten:
    Free Day Cont.

"Are you okay?" An'Shen asked once they were alone.

"...Yes," She answered calmly, "It just slipped my mind this place is owned by the Cao'Lu Family."

"Is that a problem?" He asked, being rather confused.

Glancing at him, he was rather dashing today. Miss Su helped him pick out some loose but fitting dark silk clothing. His hair was done up in an intricate half ponytail. His hair weaving among itself subtly.

"No..." She shook her head, "They're allies to the Zhu Family. I didn't want to make a fuss..."

He smiled softly, "It's no fuss. You should be proud of your family, and-"

"An'Shen," She reached across the table towards him, cupping his cheek, "I am very proud of my family. That's not what I mean. I wanted to spend a relaxing day with you. If I told them my name, they wouldn't leave us alone."

A bashful smile appeared as he squirmed happily.

"O-Oh..." He stuttered, embarrassed, "I-If that's the case then...I guess that's alright, but..."

"But?" She asked, tilting his face to look at her.

"But...it's alright," He smiled averting his eyes nervously, "I don't mind. You're an important person, and..."

"And?" She prodded, a small smile on her lips, "You're going to have to learn to finish sentences."

"I-I'm trying!" He pouted, "It's not fair when you..."

He huffed, glaring at her rather adorably.

"You can't just...expect me to not get flustered," He muttered, pressing his cheek into her palm, "When you do things like this..."

"Do you want me to stop?" She asked, teasingly beginning to move her hand away.

"N-No!" His hand shot up to stop her, much to his embarrassment when he realized she was teasing him, "Y-You!...U-Unfair...you're already so..."

Raising an eyebrow, she urged him to continued.

"...So beautiful," He sighed, glancing away timidly, "You can't just..."

"Can't I?" She teased him some more, moving her thumb along his cheek, "Seems like I can."

His face began to get even more red as she teased him. He was so susceptible to her touch. Getting him distracted was rather easy. She loved seeing him squirm. It was cute. Of course, there was only so much he could take.

"Okay!" He shouted, quickly pushing her hand away, "Alright! Jeez...."

He took several breaths to calm himself. She watched on in amusement. She wasn't the least bit offended he pushed her hand away.

"I-I just..." He took a deep breath, clasping his hands before him, "You're an important person and...I have to get used to it...because...because..."

He was fidgeting quite a lot before her. It must be something really embarrassing to say. There were days he said things without thought, only to realize shortly after how embarrassing they were. Sometimes, he would act like today. Shy and timid, focusing too much on how embarrassing it is. Zhu Fan'Hua simply waited patiently.

"Because..." He finally composed himself, red tinging his cheeks, "I'm going to be in your life. So..."

Zhu Fan'Hua could only stare at him, her heart feeling like it was just shot with an arrow. An adorable arrow. He was pouting, glancing up every so often at her. His words she understood. It was hard for him to feel accepted somewhere.

It was just like before when she said that she had him. He said "Always". At the time she didn't think much of it, as it was a fact. She wasn't going to give him up. However, this was different. It was him admitting that he wanted to stay around. Not just that, but be in her life.

It dawned on her how hard it was for him to admit it. Why it was so embarrassing. He was scared he would be left behind. Scared he'd be abandoned. Yet, it was admitting to himself that he was a constant in her life. Something she was trying to get through to him this entire time.

A small, slow smile softened her features.

"You're quite adorable," She spoke softly, "Yes, you will be in my life."

His smile was everything to her. A smile of acceptance, no matter how small. They had been together for a couple months now. There was still a lot to work on, but in this moment they had made some progress.
    -----

"So...this is from where you're from?" An'Shen asked as he looked at the food before him.

"Yes," She nodded, motioning to the several dishes, "It's the closest you'll get since it's from a branch of restaurants from Heron City."

There was a platter of several different foods. It held olives, peppers, flat bread, melon, and some grilled cheeses. There were also some spreads for the bread as well. It was an assortment of appetizers.

The main dish was a meatball made of lamb. It was spiced in such a way to make your mouth water, yet held a spiciness that had An'Shen drinking milk to cool down. It was rather adorable at how he continuously ate it despite it being a bit spicy for him.

"You said...it's one of your favorite dishes," He claimed bashfully as she watched on in amusement, "So...I want to eat it. Plus, it's really good!"

He smiled, taking another meatball and eating it. Blowing heavily on it while it was in his mouth. The one he took being too hot to eat at the moment.

"Yes, it is," She answered, handing him his drink, "And I'm happy you like it. Just...take it easy, alright? It's not going anywhere."

"I-I know..." He answered bashfully after finishing the one he just ate.

Along with the platter of appetizers and spicy lamb, there was another of her favorites. A dish that was created from mushrooms and cheese, along with a binding starch. Often potatoes or flour paste. The mushrooms were chopped up and mixed with the starch and cheese then lightly breaded and fried. Served with a creamy sauce.

She watched as An'Shen tried one, and immediately delighted in the fact that his eyes lit up. Before she knew it the entire plate was gone. As he went to reach for another one, embarrassment overwhelmed him.

"I'm so sorry!" He exclaimed, trying to hide himself, "I didn't...I mean...did you get any?"

"It's alright," She calmed him, waving a dismissive hand, "I'll order some more."
    -----

They got back late. Late enough that An'Shen was already falling asleep on the ride back. They had walked around seeing the many sights of Starlight City after lunch. Working off their appetite but also just enjoying each other's company.

Carrying him up to his room, she laid him down and kissed him goodnight. A smile creeping across his face.

"Thank you..." He muttered, half asleep as he curled up to sleep, "Today was...great...Fan'Hua..."

She smiled, her heart catching in her chest as he said, for the first time her name without her surname. She wanted to hear him say it again, but before she could it was already too late. He was fast asleep.

"Ah..." She whispered, brushing his hair gently from his face, "Sleep well, An'Shen."

Making sure he was comfortable, she turned to leave the room. Closing the door quietly behind her, she turned to face Suyin.

"You were waiting?" She asked, glancing at Suyin.

Walking from An'Shen's room, Suyin followed her.

"Yes," She answered, "I've come with some news...your family requests your presence."
    -----

5. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Eleven:
    A Call Home

A lone lamp lit the study as Zhu Fan'Hua sat down at a desk she had not used since An'Shen arrived. Miss Su kept the entire house clean, so thankfully there was no dust. With Suyin sitting across from her, Zhu Fan'Hua got right to business.

"...Which Family?" She asked quietly, reaching for the documents Suyin slid across to her.

"The Zhu Family, Miss," Suyin answered, relaxing in her chair, "They've called for you to come home."

Zhu Fan'Hua's eyes narrowed in on Suyin from over the papers. Suyin simply shrugged.

"There's not much I can do," She explained, "You've been avoiding your duties for some time now. Your siblings can only do so much."

Zhu Fan'Hua sighed, as she knew Suyin was correct. She had been putting off her duties because of An'Shen. Wanting to spend as much time as she possibly could with him. For that, she was avoiding her responsibilities. In order to take up the slack, she asked her siblings to help her out.

They were, of course, happy to do so. Though they would tease her constantly. They had come with her to meet An'Shen, but were never properly introduced. Almost immediately returning to the duties that she was shirking.

"Did they say for how long?" She asked, beginning to look over the documents, "An'Shen still requires schooling."

"About that..." Suyin seemed suddenly uncomfortable, "Your father, he-"

Zhu Fan'Hua narrowed her eyes coolly at Suyin's words. Suyin withdrew a bit into her seat. Even for Suyin, Zhu Fan'Hua's gaze was intense. Sighing, she turned her gaze from Suyin to the documents.

My Child,

I hope this finds you well. The documents enclosed detail several trading plans, and requests of marriage...of course, I've turned them all down. My daughter has the right to choose their partner.

That being said, I hear you've recently found yourself a lover and are very protective of them. Your father requests that he remain behind. I, however, disagree. I'm sure Suyin has relayed your father's wishes. Please do bring the boy.

I know you too well. Once you claim something, it's yours. I've already given your father a piece of my mind. So-

The writing became scribbled away and replaced by different handwriting.

Daughter,

I refuse this boy! Who knows where he came from or what he wants! Boys are villains! At least find someone like your father! No! Even that isn't good enou-

Zhu Fan'Hua pinched the bridge of her nose. Her head beginning to hurt. The writing was once again scribbled and replaced by the original handwriting.

Don't worry about your father, dear. You worry about your journey home. I can't wait to meet what lovely boy has stolen my precious daughters heart.

Love Always,

Your Mother, Zhu Xiaoli

P.s. Please take a look at the trade documents. There's also enclosed something of importance.

Zhu Fan'Hua sighed, as she set the letter down.

"So...father disapproves," A cruel smile crossed her face, "Well, that's a shame..."

Suyin shifted in her seating as a chill arose in the air.

"I suppose I'll have to...talk to him," Zhu Fan'Hua crumpled the letter in her hand, "It would be such a shame if he were to say anything...bad about An'Shen."

"M-Miss, your true colors are showing..." Suyin warned, "Please try to calm down...He means well."

"Suyin," She looked coolly at her, "I am calm. I simply need to speak with my father when we arrive. Make sure that things are...understood."

"I'm sure he will...That aside," Suyin cleared her throat, motioning towards the other documents, "What does it say? The messenger told me it was urgent."

Throwing the crumpled letter into the fire, Zhu Fan'Hua took a look at the remaining documents. Trade agreements for the most part. Routes that Zhu Fan'Hua oversaw.

-Two Ships: Raided and Sunk.

-One Caravan: Attacked and Raided.

-Three Stores: Ransacked

-Injuries: 11

-Deaths: 53

-Resulted Loss: 3,572,136 Gold.

There were pictures along with the recorded losses. An image stuck out to her. It was subtle so that she knew. A single word hidden among the wreckage.

On the ships, floating planks formed the word. On the caravan, carved into the wood. On the stores, etched into the walls. Just one word. "Waste".

Zhu Fan'Hua felt a rising storm enter her. Looking up at Suyin, she understood that look. Immediately Suyin's demeanor changed and became serious.

"...The Liu Family?" She asked her, guessing at what was on the documents.

"Prepare a letter to them," Zhu Fan'Hua stated calmly, "Detail how lovely it was to hear their reply. Sign it...Since the dawn of the martial era, one has never been so bold."

Suyin immediately understood. To sign a letter with that sentence was to reveal to them who she was. It was to also back them into a corner.

"I tried playing nice," Zhu Fan'Hua calmly looked at the document, "I spared their sons lives. I gave them an opportunity to handle it...and this is their response? My people are dead. My stores ruined."

Zhu Fan'Hua stared at the documents. To think they would respond in this manner. She overestimated the Liu Family. She even took Suyin from watching them. Someone else was. The document was signed "Your Dear Aunt, Bai'Li Fu'Rong".

"They want to play...let's play," Zhu Fan'Hua set the documents down, gazing out of the studies window at the stars.
    -----

6. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twelve:
    Liu Family Rift

"...You did what?" Liu Dao'Ma asked his brother.

He stared at him incredulously. How could his brother have been so stupid?

"I told you!" Liu Chao exclaimed, near manic, "They look down on us! We are a central family just like her! She has no right to-"

A resounding smack sounded as Liu Dao'Ma sent his brother sprawling on the floor. This idiot was going to be the death of the Liu Family. No, he already was.

"Brother, why-" Liu Chao screamed, but was cut short.

"Do you know what this is?" Liu Dao'Ma shoved the letter in his face, "Read it carefully."

His brother furrowed his brow, angrily grabbing the letter.

Greetings, Liu Family.

I write on behalf of my Mistress. You may be aware, but we have contacted you several times in regards to your children, Liu Dao'Ma and Liu Chao. They have harassed my Mistress and her lover several times. This continues despite asking for you to handle it privately.

Consider yourselves graced, as my Mistress must return to her family or we would take retribution already. You have until we return to handle this. My Lady has asked me not to mince words. Her people were killed and her trade was hampered. We know it was from your family. Find out who and present them to us.

Truly,

Since the dawn of the martial era, one has never been so bold.

"What is this?" Liu Chao shoved the paper back at his brother, "It's just a measly threat that-"

Liu Dao'Ma kicked his brother, causing him to grunt.

"You ill-mannered, uneducated brat!" Liu Dao'Ma fumed, "Have you learned nothing from your education?"

His brother was truly frightened.

"W-Why are you so angry?" Tears began to form in Liu Chao's eyes, "I only..."

"You only, what?" Liu Dao'Ma asked sharply, "Ruining our family?"

"What are you talking about?" Liu Chao looked to really have no idea.

Taking a breath, Liu Dao'Ma calmed himself.

"Zhu Fan'Hua," Liu Dao'Ma explained, "And her lover, An'Shen..."

"That wast-" Liu Chao shut his mouth as his brother glared at him.

"Who did you tell?" Liu Dao'Ma asked while doing his best to remain calm, "Our parents told us to apologize...to drop it. Yet, someone still acted. I know it wasn't me, so it had to be you."

His brother was really confused, his face contorted as if he didn't understand.

"But they're just-" Liu Chao once again froze from his brothers look.

"The last line," Liu Dao'Ma held up the piece of paper, "If you paid attention at all in history, etiquette, or politics, you'd understand. No one may sign a letter like this."

"No one? But they did..." Liu Chao breathed heavily as he tried to adjust himself.

"Yes, they did," Liu Dao'Mao sighed, "You didn't let me finish. No one can sign a letter like this...except the Royal Imperial Family."

Immediately his brothers face went cold. All color flushed from it as he simply stared up at his brother.

"W-What are you..." His brother was stammering now as he began to realize the gravity of the situation, "B-But that means..."

"Yes, my idiot younger brother," Liu Dao'Ma sighed, collapsing into a nearby chair, "Zhu Fan'Hua is part of the Royal Imperial Family. Zhu Fan'Hua is most likely not her real name..."

"W-What do we do? I swear, I didn't-" Liu Chao's face went even paler as something dawned on him, "Our uncle...he asked me what had happened, and I told him. At the time I didn't think, but..."

"...What did you tell him?" Liu Dao'Ma's face grew dark, "Every. Single. Word."

Liu Chao swallowed hard as he began to tell him everything that he told their uncle. Everything about An'Shen being a waste to how Zhu Fan'Hua defended him. How Liu Chao had tried to win her over to their defeat at her hands.

"...Knowing our uncle," Liu Dao'Ma crumpled the letter in his hands, "He was the one behind it. You just had to tell him, didn't you?"

"I-I didn't know he would..." Liu Chao couldn't defend his actions, "No, I had hoped he would...He's very proud."

"Yes, unbelievably so," Liu Dao'Ma clenched his teeth, "This. This is why you don't look down on others because of their status. You never know who they are...I should have never let you talk me into helping you."

His brother cowered before him, knowing it was the truth. Liu Dao'Ma looked out the window, hearing the birds sing and feeling a cool breeze blow in. That wind brought on it the downfall of the Liu Family.

This letter was most likely sent to every single Liu Family member. A fight would erupt. Fingers would be pointed. Those who have too much pride will defend themselves. Even against the Martial Dawn. The least he could do is mitigate the damage. Even if it meant pleading with his face on the floor.

Liu Dao'Ma was proud, but not stupid. He knew when to be humble. If someone bested him then they earned his respect. Not only that, but he understood how silly of a spat it had been. He almost lost his life because of it. He wouldn't do so again.
    -----

The Liu Family was sent into an uproar as accusations started flying. They had already lost their Bai'Li contacts, and all access to their spies, assassins, and merchant roads. All they had to do was apologize and reprimand their children.

Even that caused issues in the family. They had been debating for so long how to best apologize and repair the bridges broken. During that time, someone in their ranks had made a move behind the leaders backs. The family was split in half.

Liu Dao'Ma and Liu Chao were brought forward. The truth was soon revealed. Their uncle was soon brought forward and investigated. His conspirators found and placed under arrest. All documents pertaining to the crimes recorded and confiscated.

Their defense? They didn't know she was Royalty. Regardless, it was a serious crime to instigate an attack of this scale without proper authorization. Defying the head of the family and endangering the family.

After all was said and done, Liu Dao'Ma forsook his family name. His parents pleaded with him, as he was the heir to their family. He refused. He could not lead a family that would so prioritize pride over the families survival. Only once they atone would he lead them once more. He also had atoning of his own to do.

All the while, Eyes were watching. A single letter was all it took from Zhu Fan'Hua, and the Eyes moved. They watched and they waited. Keeping the Liu Family in place until she returned.
    -----

7. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Thirteen:
    Youshan's Choice

When I woke up I found that all my classes had been cancelled. Zhu Fan'Hua met me for breakfast and explained what was going on.

"My family wishes for me to return home," She stated as we ate, "You haven't been properly introduced and I wish to fix that."

"I was wondering why, after all this time, I didn't meet them," I smiled slightly, looking down at my food, "I'll be honest...I thought that maybe you didn't want to introduce me..."

Zhu Fan'Hua stopped eating, her gaze honing in on me.

"An'Shen..." Her tone was tender, "Never. You understand me?"

I nodded, smiling up at her. It was a relief to know she wasn't avoiding introducing me. She had told the entire academy that we were together, but I had yet to meet her family. It would be silly to think she'd do one but not the other.

"So...when are you leaving?" I asked, taking a sip of juice.

"Are you still half asleep?" Zhu Fan'Hua tilted her head, "I said I was fixing you meeting them. You're coming with me."

"Oh!" I suddenly felt very flustered and nervous, "I-Is that okay? I thought that...well, I thought that you'd be...I don't know."

I felt rather silly. I had thought she would be introducing me to her siblings before she went home. Since they went to the academy I had assumed they'd be leaving together. Maybe I was still half asleep.

"W-When do we leave then?" I smiled anxiously.

"Whenever you're ready," She replied nonchalantly, "There's no rush."

"Are you sure? Is it not urgent?" I wondered at why she would be returning home if it wasn't urgent.

"...Perhaps," She sighed, looking at me intently, "An'Shen, I need you to understand. You do not need to worry about the urgency of it. It will be alright."

"But..." I trailed off as I felt like maybe I was overstepping, "I just...I don't want to overstep or anything, but..."

"Is that what you think?" Zhu Fan'Hua shook her head, "That is not the case at all. Overstep, say what's on your mind. I just want to make it clear that you don't have to worry about it. I'll handle everything."

"Isn't that...a lot though?" I frowned, worried about her, "If you do so much by yourself then-"

"An'Shen," She interrupted softly, "If you are worried about not doing anything, or being of any help...then you are mistaken."

Tilting my head, I wondered at her words. I was, in fact, worried that I wasn't helping or being a burden. I was always amazed at how well she knew me.

"You make everything worth it," She went on to explain, resting her head rather coyly on her hands, "After all, when the day is stressful, who is there when the day is done?"

"M-Me?" I guessed, feeling myself become rather embarrassed.

"That's right," A mischievous smile appearing on her face.

Standing up, she slowly made her way around the table towards me.

"When I can come home," Her hand lightly caressed the back of my hand, "To my An'Shen."

Her hand made its way up my arm. Shivers running along my body. Smiling sheepishly, I tried to make myself smaller.

"To embrace you in my arms," She positioned herself behind me, arms draping around my shoulders, "And, above all...."

As she hugged me from behind, her hand lifted my chin to face her. I felt my entire body heat up. My eyes darting around anxiously. Soon, they closed as her lips found my own. I'm not sure how long it lasted, but when she was done I was left completely breathless and blushing.

"So," She finished, caressing my cheek tenderly, "Don't doubt that you help."

I nodded vigorously, curling up on myself as I blushed heavily. I was incredibly happy, and incredibly embarrassed. How could she do such things so easily?
    -----

An'Shen was as fun to tease as always. Zhu Fan'Hua knew it wouldn't take much to convince him. She wanted him to meet her family, but anxiety permeated the feeling of excitement. Her father would be a handful, but she could deal with him.

Her mother on the other hand was the most dangerous one. She would most likely talk An'Shen's ear off. Monopolizing on him. This would take away precious time alone together. On top of that, her siblings were extremely excited to be introduced to him.

They were there to pick him up and show him around, but they kept a distance. They knew that she had been looking forward to meeting him after eight years. Since they kept their distance and she was focused on An'Shen, she had not introduced them properly.

Now that they were together, Zhu Fan'Hua had to introduce them or she'd never hear the end of it. More than that, there were a few occasions that An'Shen had asked about them, but she had dismissed it. Stating they were busy. Which wasn't a lie, as they were busy with the work she should be doing.

"Are you all packed?" Zhu Fan'Hua asked as An'Shen exited the house.

"Y-Yeah, I think?" He pondered for a moment, "I didn't really have much to pack. Miss Su did most of it."

"Then I'm sure you're good to go," Zhu Fan'Hua stated, offering her hand to him.

He took it with a smile, their fingers entwined around one another. Youshan and the Sima Siblings met them at the entrance. It was unfortunate, but An'Shen would be separated from his friends for a while.

"Youshan," Zhu Fan'Hua called her aside while An'Shen said his goodbyes to the Sima Siblings.

"Yes, Lady Zhu?" Youshan asked nervously, shifting a bit.

"...What's with that?" Zhu Fan'Hua questioned, "You've never addressed me as that before."

"Well...I mean..." She shifted about, her gaze going to An'Shen.

"Is it because of what we talked about?" Zhu Fan'Hua asked quietly.

Youshan nodded, a slight pink to her cheeks.

"I just...he's a friend," Youshan muttered, "I like him, but you two..."

Zhu Fan'Hua was right. She had begun to notice it ever since day one. Youshan was a kind person, and loved what she did. Bestial Studies was her life. She had been respectful and even stood up for An'Shen. She never said a single bad thing about him. Something Zhu Fan'Hua could appreciate.

Once she began teaching him, however, that friendliness turned into something more. Zhu Fan'Hua noticed it, but she also noticed that she never acted on it. Youshan knew about Zhu Fan'Hua's feelings and didn't want to interfere. This made Zhu Fan'Hua trust Youshan.

It was cemented the day she started the An'Hua Fan Club. She supported them even at the expense of her own feelings. The last couple of months that they've known each other, their relationship had developed. Because of this Zhu Fan'Hua approached her with a simple question.

"Do you like An'Shen?"

It had caught her off-guard, but she nodded. He was kind, attentive, and did his best when being taught. The common interest in Bestial Studies soon bloomed into a crush. In this world, relationships were often convoluted. Yet, it was not unheard of to have multiple partners.

Zhu Fan'Hua was possessive. An'Shen was hers. There would be many who would be charmed by An'Shen once they got to know him. Zhu Fan'Hua was well aware of this. After all, she had been one of them. Youshan was another.

Being possessive, Zhu Fan'Hua did not like the idea of sharing her people. Especially An'Shen. At least not with people she didn't trust or possess. Youshan was someone she trusted, but not someone she possessed. Not entirely. So, what she proposed was simple.

If Youshan became one of her people officially, and devoted herself to An'Shen, then she could be An'Shen's second. Youshan was using honorifics because she was nervous. She may even be trying to distance herself.

"Think about it," Zhu Fan'Hua whispered, "It's your choice."

"But you two..." Youshan shifted, frowning a bit, "Why choose me?"

"...Because," Zhu Fan'Hua stated, "I've come to like you. Even trust you."

"L-Like me?" She stuttered, rather taken aback by it, "W-What about An'Shen?"

"Him?" She smiled fondly, looking towards him, "An'Shen...I love with every fiber of my being, and I expect you to do the same."

"I-I mean..." Youshan sighed, "I am a girl though..."

"...And?" Zhu Fan'Hua looked at her, raising an eyebrow, "If you are to be An'Shen's, then you will be mine as well. Who's to say I can't like women?"

She brushed Youshan's curly brown hair out of her eyes. Youshan blushed, hiding her face to recover herself.

"A-Alright...I'll think on it," She finally answered.

Zhu Fan'Hua nodded, smiling confidently. She always got what she wanted.
    -----

8. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Fourteen:
    A Cruel Mercy

"...Is everything alright?" An'Shen asked, touching Zhu Fan'Hua's cheek gently.

"Yes," She smiled softly, cupping her hand around his, "I'm just thinking."

"Anything I can help with?" He smiled sweetly, "I'll do what I can."

"...I know you will," Zhu Fan'Hua kissed the back of his hand and held it in hers, "But this is something I must think on. Don't worry. If there is something you can help with, I'll tell you."

"O-Okay," He smiled bashfully, nodding.

Zhu Fan'Hua's thoughts were on Youshan and the proposal she gave her. An'Shen was someone extremely precious to Zhu Fan'Hua. Her possessiveness made her extremely protective of An'Shen. When she first noticed Youshan's affections, she was wary of her. Even to the point of thinking to confront her.

Yet, she held back. The reason was because An'Shen was comfortable around her. One of the few people he could be himself around. On top of that, Youshan was always respectful. As she watched them interact, she began to realize something. She had grown fond of Youshan.

She wouldn't share him with just anyone. Yet, with Youshan she found herself toying with the idea. Finally coming to a conclusion that as long as the conditions were met, she could be An'Shen's second. Becoming one of her people as well.

Not just one of hers, but one of An'Shen's. She wouldn't be just a simple servant. She would be second to Zhu Fan'Hua and An'Shen's authority. Even Zhu Fan'Hua considered herself to be under An'Shen's authority. If he asked, she would see anything done. Of course, he was too timid for that. So everything fell to her.

"An'Shen," Zhu Fan'Hua called him.

He looked towards her expectantly, "Y-yes?"

"Are you tired?" She asked, noticing that he had been yawning.

"A bit..." He smiled bashfully, "Sorry..."

"Don't be," She responded, motioning for him, "Come, rest your head."

Before he could object or say something in response, she reached for him. Gently, she brought his head down into her lap. His face locked in a shy smile as he avoided eye contact.

"Now, now," She teased, tilting his face towards her, "Don't want to look at me?"

"Th-That's not it..." He muttered, "This is...embarrassing and-"

Leaning down, she kissed him. Cutting off his words with her lips. She could feel him heat up under her as he blushed. He was adorable. As she released him, his entire face was flush. His face completely bashful.

"...Unfair," He whispered, breathless.

"Unfair?" She asked, teasingly, "Why is it unfair?"

"Because..." He looked away sheepishly, "You always...do it first."

"Oh?" She smiled slyly, "Then why don't-"

He reached up to her head, his arms wrapping around it. His grip was firm, his eyes coming to look into hers. She felt a rush of heat. The look in his eyes was seductive.

"Well," She asked him, raising an eyebrow, "Are you going to or do I have to?"

"I-I will..." He answered, his hand entwining itself in her hair.

"Do it," She felt her heart racing, "If you can."

It seemed that was the push he needed. In one motion he pulled her head down to his. She didn't resist. Their lips locking once more. The passion intensified from his desire to prove her wrong. Her own fire burning inside of her made it all the hotter. By the end, both of them were breathless, and he had a rather satisfied smile.

"See, I-I can do it too..." He breathed, satisfied.

"Yes, you can," She complimented him playfully, "Good job."

Her hand caressed his head, causing him to blush and grow flustered.

"Th-That's..." He pouted as she laughed lightly.

"Is something wrong?" She ask softly.

"...No," He whispered, his pout turning into a gentle smile, "Nothing is wrong. I...don't think it's that unfair."

She didn't say anything, simply smiled fondly. He knew he loved when she took the initiative. He was timid, but when pushed he could become a bit more assertive. There were times, of course, where he'd come home from a long day and simply hug her. Those moments were always precious.
    -----

The road was long, but the sights were many. Zhu Fan'Hua cherished the many faces that An'Shen showed during this time. Wonder and awe was written all over it. Yet, whenever he was caught staring at the beautiful landscape, he'd smile bashfully, withdrawing a bit.

Each time this happened, Zhu Fan'Hua simply patted the top of his head, asking if he was enjoying himself. To which he replied that he was. The journey to the academy must have been hard for him. He was alone and most likely didn't have much time to really look around. The few times he did, she was told that bad things happened.

At one place he was discriminated against because of his common appearance. It was only after he flashed the card she gave him that they treated him better. She made sure to make note of the place for the future. It will either bend, or break. The choice was theirs.

Later on in the City of Grass, he was assaulted. Thankfully, the Sima Siblings were nearby. After that, he had missed the carriage and could only ride with the Sima Siblings. On their journey here, they saw a bit of the scenery, but weren't able to really take it in. The entrance ceremony was on a specific day. Missing it wasn't a big deal, but it would be frowned upon.

Now that they had time to rest, relax, and see everything in a leisurely manner, An'Shen was able to truly appreciate everything. From the lush forests and the crystal-clear lakes and rivers. Green pastures and rolling hills. Zhu Fan'Hua was in no rush to reach home.

She had sent word ahead that she was returning home. There was some preparations to make. Compensation to the families of those lost in the attacks. Personal apologies to each of them, and of course her familial duties.

Funerals as well had to be prepared. All expenses paid by Zhu Fan'Hua. They were her people. She had a responsibility to them as they did to her. She would not just overlook it. Even as she took her time to allow An'Shen to enjoy the trip.

Suyin had a list of all the deceased and each night they went over them. She burned each and every one of their names into her mind. The Liu Family would not get away with this unscathed. Before she left, she had sent a letter The Eyes. They would watch the Liu Family and ensure they were contained until she returned to deal with them.

She did not want to involve he biological parents in this. After all, she didn't want to eradicate the entire Liu Family. It was often frowned upon to do so, but more than that she didn't believe in harming the innocent. The rightful parties would pay.

Overall, the entire family would take a hit, but only those involved would pay. The Liu Family would then be on probation. Their actions watched closely. She was showing them a mercy despite the attack against her. Yet, was it really a mercy?

"Suyin..." She asked quietly one night, "Do you think I'm being too lenient?"

"...I cannot say," Suyin responded cautiously, "It is your-"

"Suyin," Zhu Fan'Hua addressed her coolly.

"...Yes," Suyin sighed, "I do. They killed fifty three of your people. Destroy two of your trading ships, ransacked three of your stores, and a caravan. Making it look like a bandit attack, but sent a pretty clear message."

Zhu Fan'Hua had listened to her closely.

"They did indeed..." Zhu Fan'Hua agreed.

"So yes," Suyin explained, "I think you're being too lenient."

Zhu Fan'Hua looked over the names of the deceased. A fire burning in her heart.

"I agree with you," Zhu Fan'Hua stated, a malicious smirk appearing on her face, "However, do not mistake me. I am not letting them go."

"No..." Suyin acknowledged, "But, you're still giving them a chance."

"Yes," Zhu Fan'Hua nodded, "An unpleasant one, but yes. It is still a chance."

Suyin couldn't argue with that. The Liu Family had a choice, but it was not simple. Solve the matter by the time she was back, or all of you will pay. They were forced to choose between the entire family, or the few.

Either decision will haunt them. Either decision will destroy them. The hit they take will be dependent on their actions. It was a cruel mercy. Their fate was literally within their hands.
    -----

9. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Fifteen:
    A Bloodied Hand

Rolling hills and vibrant green grass. The Central Plains. Overseen by the Sima Family. They were a vigilant family. They had to be. Their territory connected several others. Making it a highway for trade. This brought with it many bandits.

Unfortunately, no matter how vigilant one was, there would always be someone or something that got through. An'Shen had gone to take care of nature. He had been gone longer than normal, but she dismissed it as having difficulties.

She was about to check on him, just in case, when those that slipped through the nets approached. An'Shen dragged with them. Zhu Fan'Hua's jaw was clenched. Suyin went to move, but a blade to An'Shen's throat stopped her. Miss Su gasped, hands to her mouth.

There were ten of them that could be seen. There were five hiding in the tall grass. Zhu Fan'Hua sensed each and every one of their positions. Her eyes honed in on the one holding An'Shen.

A well-built man with a shaved head. They all wore masks to obscure their faces. Smart, but what wasn't were their outfits. They did their best to look like regular bandits, but regular bandits weren't this clean.

"Heheh, look at these lovely ladies," The man holding An'Shen proclaimed, "When we saw your carriage, we were quite surprised. Such a lovely, yet simple design. It could only be a noble. Indeed, look at that crest there."

He motioned with his head to the carriage they traveled in. The crest of the Zhu Family emblazoned on the side. A single spear before a shield. Inscribed on the shield was one word. Zhu.

"So, it came as a shock," The man pressed the blade closer to An'Shen's neck, "When this brat came out of such a fine carriage. It seems the real prize were you three lovely ladies."

Zhu Fan'Hua coolly stared down the man. He didn't seem to like that much.

"Those are some cold eyes there, lady," He threatened, "If you try anything...this brat gets hurt."

His sword dug into the neck of An'Shen. A rage rose within her. She could sense even Suyin and Miss Su growing angry. Suyin's tension was obvious.

"...Every scratch," Zhu Fan'Hua muttered.

"What was that?" He yelled, "Speak up or he-"

Zhu Fan'Hua saw her moment. Gathering mana into the soles of her feet in a mere instant, she used snow step. The world moved before her as she was before the man. His eyes wide.

He tried reacting, but it was too late. His mana was in disarray with An'Shen there. His mind wasn't any better. Zhu Fan'Hua's hand clenched the blade of his sword. Pulling him in close.

"I said..." Zhu Fan'Hua stated, "For every scratch up on him...I will repay it tenfold."

He tried moving the blade, but it was no use. She had a hold of his blade firmly. Even as her blood trickled down it. It was a sharp blade.

"You didn't ask for money," Zhu Fan'Hua continued, staring him dead in the eyes, "You're not dirty. Well kept. Organized. Fifteen of you. Who sent you?"

The man hardened himself, glaring back. Zhu Fan'Hua could tell he was holding back his fear.

"W-What are you all waiting for! Attack!" He ordered, but it was no use.

Suyin had moved in the brief moment everyone was taken aback. It was a fatal mistake. She had danced among them like flowing water. A fluid death. Their blood and bodies falling upon the lush green of the plains. A crimson crescendo.

That's when the fear kicked in for him. His grip loosening on An'Shen enough for him to get to safety. His blade trembling.

"Th-They didn't say..." He stammered, but clenched his mouth shut.

It was as if he was unable to speak.

"Interesting..." Zhu Fan'Hua tilted her head, "Miss Su, please take care of An'Shen...We'll be back. Suyin, with me."

It was an easy task for Suyin to take out all the fake bandits. Her cultivation had grown over the last eight years. She had long since reached the Spirit Stage and was far stronger than previously. She had also trained when she could, to control her mana around An'Shen. Specifically for moments like this.

Zhu Fan'Hua was within the Crystalized Stage now. Slowly approaching the Awakened Stage. She had a lot of work to do to prepare herself for that, but with An'Shen now with her, she could do it all properly. No more did she have to suffer that pain.

This, however, meant she was now stronger than the average guardsman. Especially stronger than regular bandits, even fake ones like these. At best, they were private guardsman posing as bandits. The highest among them was this man. Acolyte Stage 4. Several levels lower than herself, and many levels lower than Suyin.

Those who were sensitive to Mana could tell. Considering her condition, Zhu Fan'Hua was well versed in seeing the strength of her opponents. Leaving An'Shen and Miss Su behind, Zhu Fan'Hua and Suyin had a few words with the happless, would-be bandit.
    -----

"...So they've been attacking any with our crest," Suyin sighed, washing the blood from her hands.

"It seems like it," Zhu Fan'Hua answered, staring coldly at the now dead man.

He and his men were hired by someone within the Liu Family. Their orders were simple. Blend in, but keep an eye out. If they saw the Zhu Family Crest upon carriages, harass them. Even better if they ransacked and killed the occupants.

They were confident in their skills. All being within the Acolyte Stage, they were well equipped to deal with most guards. She'd have to make a note to up security. Until this matter with the Liu Family was solved, there would be other attacks like this.

It was fortunate that they had attacked them and not some other caravan. Others would not have been able to survive. However, it was unfortunate for them to have taken An'Shen hostage. She couldn't exactly follow him to take care of nature. That was...inappropriate. Even for someone like her who loved to tease him.

It was a moment of vulnerability that she would have to take into account. It would be awkward for him to have Suyin or her to follow him. Even if they kept their distance. Until they reached civilization they'd have to be even more careful.

"We need to send a message," Zhu Fan'Hua stated, "One that will deter future attacks."

Suyin understood, sighing as she looked at her recently clean hands. They would become dirty again. They worked quickly. Gathering all the bodies they could. An'Shen was in the carriage with Miss Su. He didn't need to see this.

Once the bodies were gathered, their faces were exposed. All except the leader were recognizable. Zhu Fan'Hua had a been a bit...too zealous in her interrogation. While Suyin prepared the bodies, Zhu Fan'Hua found several sturdy trees.

Determining them big enough and sturdy enough, she got to work. Several precise movements utilizing mana as the blade, the trees were cut and made into sturdy posts. Lashings made from the branches were laid out.

Utilizing Earthen Mana, deep holes were dug to place the poles in. A sturdy base as the bodies were then strung up to the posts. Their arms up and their chests exposed. Carved into each of their chests was one simple word. Bandit.

A sign was placed before the fifteen posts, set all in a group along the side of the roadway.

Punishment Dictated By The Eyes.

We Are Ever Watching.

Do Not Disturb.

A simple threat. None would dare touch what was dictated by the Mediators of the Imperial Family. It would often be considered treason and highly punished if one used them in this manner. Of course, that only applied to those who were not of the Imperial Family.

There was just one final thing. Something so that they would not decompose too quickly. Gathering the chill in the air and circulating around her body, she channeled the deepest depths of the cold. Sending it across the posts and the bodies.

A chill permeated the area continuously after she was down. Flash freezing the bodies and their blood. They would remain as such for an indeterminate amount of time. Zhu Fan'Hua guessed from her current strength that they'd remain frozen for a little over a year. Yet, it had exhausted her.

"Come on," Zhu Fan'Hua turned, "Let's clean up and return."

Suyin simply nodded.
    -----

"Zhu Fan'Hua!" An'Shen exclaimed as they returned.

"An'Shen, wait in the carria-" Zhu Fan'Hua told him, but was cut off.

He had rushed out of the carriage the moment he saw them approach. They had yet to clean up completely and she didn't want him to see her like this. Her heart was anxious. What would he think? How would he react? There was a lot of blood around the area, and she didn't look much better.

He ignored her orders as he grabbed her hand. She instinctively tried to take it back, but as he held on as firmly as he could, she didn't have the heart to do so.

"...Does it hurt?" He asked as he examined her cut.

He looked up at her, waiting for an answer. She shook her head, her eyes watching him softly. He had brought gauze and other medical supplies. A bottle of disinfectant and bandages to make sure the gauze stayed.

As she watched him, she saw a bit of his back and chest. Old scars and cuts that did not heal properly. All thanks to the Li'Yu Family's treatment of him. The anger inside of her simmered. Especially as she saw the most recent injury.

Blood trickled down from it, her heart aching. He had been through so much, yet his only concern was her. It was foolish. She could heal, he couldn't. Not like her, not like everyone else. So then why? He should be worried about himself.

Yet, this part of him was endearing. She felt her heart beating fast as he took care of her hand. It would heal soon, but he was putting so much effort into it. How could she deny him this?
    -----

10. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Sixteen:
    Fear of Hate

I had felt incredibly embarrassed after I came to my senses. I was so worried about Zhu Fan'Hua's hand that I had forgot about how easy it was for her to heal. Anyone who could cultivate could heal injuries like that with just a pill. Some, like Zhu Fan'Hua, could simply channel mana into their wounds and they'd close.

She had been hurt in my defense. My weakness and inability caused her harm. That's all I was concerned about. Making it right. Taking care of her. I was so worried I had ignored all else. She comforted me, thanking me regardless.

Was there anything I could do right? I still had to process what had just happened. I was afraid. A blade had been held to my throat. I was used to threaten them. Those that I cared for. If anything happened to them because of my weakness, I would never be able to forgive myself.

As I was lost deep in thought, I felt a poke upon my forehead. Holding my hand up to it instinctually, I found Zhu Fan'Hua watching me. Her gaze was calm, cool as always. Yet, there was a softness to it.

"I know that look," She claimed, "You are not at fault."

I flinched as she hit the nail on the head. She really could see through me.

"But I..." I sighed, trying to explain, "What if-"

"No," She held a finger to my lips, "No matter what, I will always protect you. Let them try and use you against me. Try. They will not succeed. Just like today."

"But your hand..." I motioned to it, then remembered it had healed, "I mean, at the time anyways..."

I smiled awkwardly, shrugging a bit.

"An'Shen," She pulled me into a warm embrace, "It's alright. What matters is that you're safe."

"...What about you?" I asked, finding myself worried about her safety as well, "Suyin? Miss Su? What about them as well?"

"Suyin will keep Miss Su safe," Zhu Fan'Hua explained, "As will I. Suyin can take care of herself, and we will all take care of you."

"But...If I wasn't such a burden, then-" I stated sullenly.

I didn't get very far before Zhu Fan'Hua stopped hugging me and instead squished my face between her hands. Her eyes staring intently at me. I could feel my heart racing for several reasons.

"An'Shen," Zhu Fan'Hua's tone was serious, "I never, ever, want to hear you say that again. You are not a burden. Do you think I would do all this if you were?"

Her words hit me hard. They were heavy and held conviction. I could feel the tears well up in my eyes as I shook my head. Why would she waste her time with me if she thought I was a burden? As some sick joke?

All those kisses? All the times she's helped were all for nothing? I realized in that moment that I worried it all was. The warm tears building even more in my eyes.

"You are mine," She continued, her hands a comfort, "You think you are unworthy? These hands of mine have done more than hold you. They've done...many horrible things."

As she explained this, I realized something. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw them. Just a glimpse. As she saw my eyes take in the bodies lashed to the poles, she firmly averted my eyes.

"Look only at me," She ordered, her eyes locked on mine.

It was the first time I ever saw pain in her eyes. Reaching a hand up to her, I placed it gently on her cheek. Her thumb wiping away my tears.

"Why...are you in pain?" I asked softly, catching her off-guard.

Her eyes looked away for but a moment before they came back, stronger.

"I have killed people," She explained, never letting my face go, "I do not...think I am worthy of you. Someone who is-"

"That's nonsense," I smiled tenderly, "I'll admit...I'm really shaken up. I feel sick to my stomach. I-"

"See," She interrupted, the pain on her face, "These hands of mine are stained in blood. Are they even worthy to hold you? To touch you? To-"

"You didn't let me finish," I interjected, "You're being quite...open with me. I like that."

It was true that I was shaken up. I did feel sick, but more than that I was glad. I was happy she was here. That she was safe. It was because of her presence that I could remain calm. My hand ran from her cheek, along her arm until it reached her hand. Holding it to me, I brought my other hand up on the opposite side so I held both of her hands against my face.

"They're touching me now," I smiled lovingly, "And I see no problem. I feel safe, with these hands. I...have never felt safe in my entire life. Yet, with you...I have. I do."

I could see the pained expression fade as it was replaced with uncertainty. A look that reached deep into my heart. She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath.

"I have many fears," She finally whispered, "The biggest of all...is that you'll hate me."

I felt my heart both drop in my stomach and nearly jump out of my chest. I was touched yet also saddened.

"..." I was silent for a moment before whispering tenderly, "As long as you never abuse me, I will never hate you. I love you...Fan'Hua."

I mustered all the love and courage I had, and gently kissed her upon the forehead. Moving from there to her lips. As I finished, her eyes opened, a sly smile curling her lips.

"...Say it again," She muttered, her eyes rather sensuous.

"S-Say what?" I asked, feeling suddenly embarrassed.

"...My name," She answered, watching me.

"Z-Zhu-" I began but she shook her head.

"No," Her smile turned flirting, teasing, "My name."

A sudden heat washed over my body as I understood. I had only used her first name. I did so without thinking. It felt so natural to do so.

"F-Fan'Hua..." I whispered anxiously.

"I couldn't hear you," She teased, tilting her ear towards me.

"...." Leaning closer to her ear, I spoke as tenderly as I could, "...Fan'Hua."

As I went to move back, I couldn't. Glancing out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw red flushing her face, but I wasn't sure.

"Stay...there," She ordered, seeming breathless.

After a moment, she released me and I was able to see her face once more. Her face completely serene with a slight smile.

"Please, call me that from now on," She told me, caressing my cheek with the back of her hand, "We are lovers, after all."
    -----

He fidgeted happily at her words. She was overwhelmed by him whispering her name so close to her ear and in such a manner. She wanted to hear him say it more. The fear in her heart became less at his words, but she was still worried.

He was shaking, despite putting on a brave face. She did her best to keep him from the grisly sight she left behind. Yet, she was sure he glanced it. So, she did the one thing she could do. She held him close, doing her best to calm his shaking body.

He clung to her, unafraid of her or the blood upon her hands. She felt a bit more at peace with this. She was not always a kind person. An'Shen kept her a bit more grounded. Yet, he was timid and soft. There were things he couldn't do. At least, she hoped he never had to.
    -----

11. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Seventeen:
    Wisp Sighting

The journey went a lot more smoothly after their fake bandit encounter. All had been ex-guardsmen who took to mercenary work. With the warning in place, word would soon spread and they would grow quiet. Thankfully, the only issues they had after this was "Where would you like to eat tonight?"

As they traveled through the Central Plains the landscaped began to shift and change. Hills and grasslands turned to wetlands. Forests began to become more frequent. Light filtered through the branches giving the path ahead a soothing, ethereal feel.

An'Shen looked out of the window in wonder. Zhu Fan'Hua smiled to herself at his excitement. Everything was new to him, and she was experiencing his reactions firsthand. She couldn't have been happier.

They had grown so much closer than before. She was less worried about him fearing her now. The seed was still there, but she was reassured with his simple words. She wondered if he knew how much they meant to her.

"Honestly..." He had said while laying on her lap, "I think you look really cool..."

He was referencing whenever she fought, or got angry on his behalf. She had been worried he may have been afraid, and he asked about it. So, she told him. Instead of fearing her, or even condemning her, he thought she was cool.

"...Beautiful, even."

The words still echoed in her head. Beautiful? Most call her a demon, and some even a monster. The way her face could get was terrifying to even those above her in power. Yet, he loved it. Just how odd of a person was he?

"...Fan'Hua," An'Shen called out, "What's that over there?"

He was pointing out of the window he was looking out. Moving over, she got close behind him. Her body pressing against him as she looked out the window with him.

"What is...what?" She breathed into his ear.

She was teasing him. Fueled by the words he said and the feelings behind them. He blushed as she did so, but he said nothing.

"O-Over there," He stammered.

"...Adorable," She thought to herself, glancing at what he was seeing.

Her eyes widened slightly at the sight he was seeing. Within the reeds and waters of the nearby wetlands was a sight very few ever saw. Floating among the reeds were little orbs of light. In the midday sun they shimmered a pearlescent shade. Like rainbow spheres.

"Those are Wisps," She explained, "Specifically, Pearl Wisps."

"Pearl Wisps?" He asked in awe, "They're pretty."

"Yes, but do be careful," Zhu Fan'Hua cautioned, "They are fickle things. Rare, however. These particular ones have a certain meaning if you seem them."

"A meaning?" He looked up at her, their faces mere inches from each other.

"Yes..." She looked down at him, a smirk crossing her face, "It is said that if two lovers see them on their travels..."

She cupped his cheek with her hand, his eyes shifting bashfully. A timid smile on his lips.

"Good things are bound to happen," She whispered, her lips barely brushing his.

"L-Like what?" He breathed heavily.

She could see his lip quiver in anticipation.

"How adorable..." She thought coyly.

"Like," She whispered, moving her lips to his ear, "Growing....closer."

Moving her face back to look at him, he was confused for a moment before it dawned on him. As it did his entire face became flushed. Shifting around embarrassed, his eyes shifting around.

"I-Is that so?" He responded, breathless, "I-I see...I...uhm..."

She laughed lightly, placing a gentle hand on his cheek.

"Relax," She soothed, "It's just a story."

"Y-Yeah..." He nodded nervously, "Just a story..."

"Are you worried?" She asked, concerned as her heart ached.

"N-No...maybe?" He answered, sighing, "I just..."

"It's okay," She reassured, "We'll go at our own pace."

He nodded once again, looking at the floor in embarrassment. Zhu Fan'Hua had a tender, soft spot for him. She loved teasing him, but didn't want him uncomfortable. Even she herself was embarrassed at the thought of progressing their relationship that far.
    -----

The sighting of the Pearl Wisps was indeed rare. The story she told An'Shen wasn't far from the truth. It is indeed said that those who see them are often blessed. Especially if those who see them are lovers. The mere sight of them is said to mean that they'll continue to grow closer.

An'Shen was a lot more wary and jumpy afterwards though. The slightest touch by her caused him to flinch, followed by him apologizing. He wasn't scared, simply being extremely timid. It was cute, but frustrating.

They had been on the road for almost a little over a week now. They were taking a carriage to enjoy the sights and because An'Shen couldn't move quickly. His body was unable to handle any movement techniques for extended periods of time.

After the day they went out for sweets, her movements caused him to be sick afterwards. His body couldn't handle the strain. One usually learns movement techniques once they reach the Initiate Stage. Their bodies strengthened enough to withstand the strenuous movements.

Even being carried and protected by her, he was unable to move in that way for too long. There were a few other modes of transportation, but one was too flashy. That was flying. However, An'Shen's condition made it uncertain and dangerous.

There were carriages, and even ship like structures that allowed flight. However, these utilized physical mana crystals to levitate the vehicle. An'Shen's condition may interfere with the mana that allowed it to fly. There was a chance that it would still work, but it was a chance Zhu Fan'Hua didn't want to take. Not when it came to his safety and comfort.

Thus, they decided to take a normal carriage. It was a shame, however. She felt bad that he couldn't experience the things that others could. She was happy that at least his TCC still worked for him. It was a mix of mana and tech which was the reason why it could work for him.

Until such a day that they could help to control his condition, she would do her best to make him enjoy what he could. It was a shame she had yet to test her theory about his cultivation. Does her condition also help him like he did for her?

She had brought it up before when she asked if he wanted to become stronger. She didn't explain her theory then, but he had refused. He didn't think he could cultivate, and ever since she didn't bring it up again. It was an uncomfortable subject for him.

Perhaps, if they had time, she would finally bring it up once they settle in at her family's estate. She didn't care if he never could cultivate. She simply wanted him to enjoy his life and be at peace. If he could cultivate, and perhaps gain control of his condition, then a lot of things would open up for him.

Even if it didn't, she'd still love him. It was simply that she wanted him to enjoy the world. He was lost in the darkness of his past. Of his condition. Even if he was smiling more lately, she could still see the traces of it lurking. Every time mana didn't work around him there was a flash across his eyes. A look of guilt and sadness.
    -----

12. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Seventeen:
    Warmth of Water

"By the way," An'Shen asked as they stretched their legs a bit, "Where are we going exactly? You said Heron City was the Capital of the Southern Sea region, but the Cao'Lu Family rule from there."

They had stopped to walk a bit to stretch their legs. They were getting closer now to her home. The place where the Zhu Family ruled from. Their territory wasn't large, but their power was great. Considered a Central Family, they had ties with the Cao'Lu Family, among others.

"You're right," She answered him, watching as he dipped his feet into the cool waters of a nearby stream, "Heron City isn't our destination."

An'Shen moved his feet calmly through the water, glancing back at her.

"Then, what is?" He asked, closing his eyes to enjoy the sun.

"My hometown," She responded, "The City of Spears."

The City of Spears was the Capital of the Zhu Territory. It was where Zhu Fan'Hua grew up for most of her life, when she wasn't traveling trying to find a cure for her condition.

"It's full name is Rivalia, City of Spears," She continued to explain, "Most just call it Rivalia, or by its title, the City of Spears."

"City of Spears..." He muttered, thinking to himself, "Is that because everyone uses spears? I remember your siblings from before. They all carried spears on their backs."

"...Partly, yes," She responded, amused, "The Zhu Family is known as the Masters of the Spear. I myself use the Guandao, White Snow."

"Wow...you all so really impressive," He marveled at her words, "I mean...you already are really impressive, but I mean..."

He seemed to grow flustered as she laughed lightly.

"Thank you, An'Shen," She smiled lightly, "I'll be sure to tell them you said so."

"W-What? You don't have to...I mean..." He opened his eyes as he turned towards her in a panic, only realizing by the slight smile on her face that she was teasing him, "Y-You!"

He cried out at her in embarrassment. Reaching his hand into the water, he splashed her from the banks of the stream. He was laughing, which was a delightful sound. However, she couldn't just let that pass.

"Oh?" She asked, mischievously smiling, "Is that the game we're playing?"

Suddenly his laughter stopped as he realized what was going on. Feeling the flow of mana around the water, she tapped into its energy. The stream bent and swayed with her hand. He swallowed hard as he saw the large wave of water before it fell upon him.

Immediately, the entire area became soaked and drenched from the stream. Including An'Shen. Zhu Fan'Hua quickly realized the mistake she had made. In her efforts to tease and play around with him, she had inadvertently done something much worse.

"F-Fan'Hua!" He exclaimed, his clothes drenched and sticking to him.

He was wearing light colors today, an off-white. The water soaked through his clothes, revealing patches of his skin. It clung to him in ways that had her thinking many thoughts. Thoughts of what he would look like out of those clothes. Of course, she didn't mind the way he looked now either.

So demure and timid. Bashful and embarrassed. A small little rabbit, drenched and shaking. His eyes as he looked towards her were pleading. Almost inviting as he looked to her for help.

In a moment, she was there, pushing him down on the wet grass. He looked around nervously, bringing a hand up to his mouth. The sleeve of his robes were wet and clung to his hand. She felt warm as she looked upon him. He was quite vulnerable right now.

"F-Fan'Hua?" He asked quietly, "T-This is a bit embarrassing..."

"...Don't worry," She smiled slyly, her hand holding his side, "I'll take care of you..."

His eyes widened as his cheeks turned slightly pink. She had to hold herself back. He was just too cute right now. She was fighting with instinct. Swallowing hard, she concentrated on the warmth she felt inside of her.

It was a shame, but this was not the time. Focusing on the warmth, she used it as a source to gather Fire Mana. Circulating it through not just herself, but An'Shen.

"I-I feel warm..." He whispered, breathlessly, "W-What are you doing?"

"Relax..." She whispered, "I'm helping you."

As she channeled the heat into him, she had to be careful. Too much and he would be burned, but just enough would help. It was at that moment that something rather intriguing happened. As she warmed him up to dry him off, and to prevent him from getting a cold, he let out an involuntary sound.

It was subtle, but noticeable. A soft moan escaped his lips as her hand gripped his side a bit more firmly. She could not hide both her surprise and pleasure at it. That sound was too lovely.

"Oh my..." She teased, smiling provocatively, "That was quite the sound..."

"P-Please ignore that..." He hid his face with his hand.

"I don't think I can do that..." She whispered, her hand moving up his body slightly.

He had yet to fill in much, and felt so fragile. As if one wrong move could break him. So, she had to be gentle, and much like she had hoped, he made another, similar sound.

"F-Fan'Hua..." He pleaded, "Please...hurry up..."

Her eyes passed slowly over his body. His wet clothes clinging to him, and she sighed. He was right. This had been fun, however. She saw a new side to him. She couldn't wait to see more.

Moving the heat from him, she began to permeate it out to his clothing. Steam lifted off of him as she dried his clothes and himself. After she was down, he was breathing heavily. Several times he let out involuntary sounds. Much to his embarrassment.

"Y-You!" He exclaimed, shaking his arm at her.

His fist hitting her arm, but it was light and didn't hurt at all. She smiled in amusement. Enveloping him in her arms as he struggled against her.

"Alright, alright," She laughed, stroking his hair gently, "I'm sorry...I played around too much."

"Y-You mean it?" He asked, pouting, "You're sorry?"

"Yes, my Little Rabbit," She reassured, "I mean it."

"Little Rabbit?" He looked up at her, blushing slightly.

"Well, you're so timid like one, and..." She trailed off, shrugging, "It just seemed appropriate."

He contemplated it, but didn't say anything. Just smiled.

"I guess...I don't mind it..." He muttered, barely audible.

"Do you forgive me?" She asked tenderly.

"I guess..." He muttered into her shoulder, "Besides, it's not...like I hated what you did..."

His words were barely audible, but she heard them. It warmed her heart that he wasn't upset. She had almost lost to her wants back then. If she did, would he have hated her? Seeing him react to her in such a way simply did something for her.

"Oh my, we're not interrupting, are we?" Miss Su asked, causing An'Shen to flinch.

"Yes," Suyin interjected, peaking from around a tree, "It seems rather...steamy, in here."

An'Shen buried his face into Zhu Fan'Hua as she narrowed her eyes at the two of them. The area was, in fact, filled with steam. Yet, she knew what Suyin meant.

"...So were you just watching, then?" She asked them coolly, "...Perverts."

"Hey now," Suyin frowned, hands on her hips, "We aren't perverts. We heard something, and came to investigate."

"That's right!" Miss Su agreed, "When we got here, we were quite worried."

"Indeed," Suyin nodded, looking towards Miss Su, "We thought we'd might have to save An'Shen from you! Calling us the perverts..."

"You certainly enjoyed yourself, Young Miss," Miss Su teased.

"Right!" Suyin intoned, teasing back, "Poor An'Shen...at the whims and mercy of our perverted Young Miss. Whatever will he do?"

Zhu Fan'Hua's eye twitched slightly. It's not like they weren't right. Yet, it was annoying to hear it from them. Feeling An'Shen bury his face more, she knew he was incredibly embarrassed. His body was warm, and not from the heat she transferred through him.

"You two..." Zhu Fan'Hua spoke calmly, "I'm so glad you worry about him, but perhaps..."

She felt the stream and the water move to her whims. Miss Su and Suyin looked on, their faces locked in amusement. A slight nervousness to it.

"...You should worry about yourselves," She brought the water down upon them.

They let out cries of amusement and surprise. Standing, she lifted An'Shen in her arms. He clung to her, hiding his face completely. Miss Su and Suyin simply glanced at each other, amused, before following them.
    -----

13. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Nineteen:
    Rivalia

I couldn't get my mind off of that day at the stream. Zhu Fan'Hua on top of me like she was. The feel of her hand on my side, and the warmth I felt from her. Then, there was that embarrassing sound I had made. Even now, I blushed at the thought of it.

How could I make such a sound? Yet, she seemed to have enjoyed it. The look on her face was quite devious. Enticing and focused solely on me. My breath quickens every time I think of it.

Ever since she took the opportunity to try and get me to make that sound again. A light hand along my back. A soft kiss on my neck. She was getting rather...forward with her advances. I was quite overwhelmed, but...I didn't hate it. It was just so embarrassing.

She did such things with such ease. I tried my hand a few times, but it was always turned around on me. I even let out quiet squeals. Squeals! I could only cover my face as I thought about it. I came out here to look at the stars and surrounding nature.

We stopped for the night to camp. There were no nearby towns. I wanted to cool down and hopefully catch my breath from the previous day's events. A fire crackled behind me from the camp. I could hear Miss Su cooking with the help of Suyin. It was peaceful out here.

Fireflies danced among the grasses and forests. Taixu curled up in my lap as I pet them. They purred softly as they relaxed. It was a beautiful night, and from this spot upon the hill I could take it all in. Leaned up against a tree as I sat enjoying the quiet.

It didn't last long as Taixu perked up.

"What's wrong?" I asked them softly, trying to calm them down.

In a sudden flash of speed, they took off. Running upon the air as they disappeared into the night. Standing up, I tried to stop them, but missed.

"Taixu! Don't run off!" I called, but they didn't listen or respond.

"Don't worry about them," A familiar voice sounded, "You should worry more about yourself."

I realized in that moment why Taixu had run off. Zhu Fan'Hua stepped out from the shadows of the surrounding trees. The look in her eye told me one thing. She was on the hunt.

"Z-Zhu Fan'Hua..." I stammered, smiling nervously, "W-What brings you out here?"

"I thought you might be lonely," She responded, making her way carefully towards me.

Each step was measured. Each step purposeful. The way her body moved was entrancing. Strong and beautiful. Alluring in so many ways. The moonlight illuminated her face. Her hair reflecting like the very night sky itself.

"I-I mean...I was-" I tried to respond, but before I could her finger was over my mouth.

"Shhh," She whispered, pushing me back against the tree, "Don't tell me you're afraid?"

I shook my head, feeling my heart racing. No, I wasn't afraid. I was terrified in the best way. Terrified by the beauty this woman had. The power behind her every move. I loved it, and I found it extremely embarrassing.

"Z-Zhu-" I muttered under her finger.

"No..." She interrupted, her hand moving to my chest, firmly pressing me against it.

Her face moving close. Her lips next to my ear.

"I asked you to call me by my name," She breathed, whispering tantalizingly in my ear, "My. Little. Rabbit."

Her words sent shivers across my body. Her hand moving down my chest to my side, firmly holding it. The moment she did, I softly squealed. I tried to suppress it, but it was impossible.

"F-Fan'Hua..." I whimpered, hiding my face in embarrassment.

"Oh...my little rabbit," She stated endearingly, "What was that noise?"

I pouted, revealing my eyes just enough to glare at her.

"...You know what and you know why," I accused her, "You...are insatiable."

A devious smile arose on her face. Her mouth slightly opening, I saw her tongue moving lightly upon the bottom of her teeth. She looked rather self-satisfied with herself.

"Well, you're just so delectable," She teased, her hand loosening upon my side, "I just can't help myself."

"Hmph!" I pouted, glancing away from her.

As I did I felt the warm embrace of her arms. She always did this when she thought she went too far. It was something I really loved about her. She could be quite tender when it mattered.

"Come now..." She cooed, "It's not so bad, is it?"

I didn't say anything, continuing to pout, but I relaxed in her arms. She placed a gentle kiss upon the top of my head. Perhaps Suyin and Miss Su were right. I might just be in danger. Yet, it was the only danger I wanted to be in. Hiding my face, I blushed at the thoughts I just had.
    -----

An'Shen was more and more skittish. Zhu Fan'Hua loved hearing the noises he made. Everytime she had the chance, she would make sure to take the opportunity to hear them. Of course, she didn't do so out of malice. She almost couldn't help herself.

Yet, in the coming days she would have to temper it. After all, they would be arriving at her home soon. That was part of her sudden aggressiveness. It would be difficult once they arrived for her to find the opportunities to spend with him.

However, thoughts of clandestine meetings with him within her family's estate were quite exciting to her. How much would he squirm knowing it was her family's home? That at any moment one of the many servants or even family members may happen upon them. The thought was enough to entice her.

"Young Miss," Suyin called from outside the carriage, "We've arrived."

An'Shen immediately perked up as he looked outside the carriage window. Zhu Fan'Hua joined him as she glanced out at the city before them. Rivalia, The City of Spears.

A beautiful city situated deep within the river lands of the Southern Sea. Several rivers converged and ran through the town. Sluice gates and culverts decorated the large city walls to allow water to flow freely in and out of the city. Metal bars covered the culverts to prevent human entry.

They were slightly elevated and could see most of the city. It was slightly larger than Starlight City. Housing roughly fifty thousand people. Its rivers allowed much trade up and down the various waterways. Even now there were trade ships coming in with bright sails and much cargo.

Other carriages and transports moved along the road. Mostly the surrounding farmers making their way in and out of the city to sell their goods. It was as busy as she always remembered it. The lush greenery blended quite well with the clear, crystal blue of the rivers and streams.

The buildings within and around the city all had sweeping tiled roofs. Many tall buildings decorated the city, but one stood among the rest. It was a large building that took up a decent area within the city. It was several stories high, about five or six last Zhu Fan'Hua counted.

Sweeping eaves and an intricate design set it apart from the rest of the city. Yet, it also blended in quite well. Flags of crimson could be seen even from here. For it was the same color of flags flying over the gates of the city. The Zhu Family Crest.

The same crest that appeared upon the side of her carriage. People moved out of the way as they saw it. All of them paying some form of respect. She watched as An'Shen looked in awe at everything. A small smile on her face. She was finally home. One of them, at least.
    -----

14. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty:
    Unpleasant Memory

Rivalia, City of Spears. An'Shen was in awe. Zhu Fan'Hua was content with watching him admire the scenery. Built upon several small rivers and streams that connected into a larger river. Many bridges allowed people to get around the city. Connecting the different districts.

They were unhampered as they entered the city, as the crest of her family gave them leave to move freely. It was as the carriage moved along that An'Shen's demeanor changed. He stopped looking out of the window and sat down.

Every so often glancing out, but she knew his tells. He was nervous. His hands clasped before him, wringing them together. Reaching over, she placed her hand upon his.

"An'Shen, are you alright?" She asked, knowing the answer.

"I...Yeah," He smiled, trying to be brave.

"An'Shen..." She coaxed, "Come now, you can tell me."

He smiled a small, anxious smile.

"I know..." He muttered, taking a deep breath, "I'm just anxious. I'm finally going to be meeting your family. So I'm a bit nervous."

"I'm sorry," She whispered, "I should have introduced you right away. At least to my siblings..."

"No," He shook his head, smiling reassuringly, "I understand. They were busy, and a lot was going on..."

"Even so," She gripped his hands firmly, "It'll be okay. I'm by your side, alright?"

"Yeah," He nodded, but wasn't reassured, "It's just...what if they don't like me? What if I make a mistake? I shouldn't be seen. I have to be unheard. Unseen. If they realize I'm just at Base Stage 5...I'm just a wast-"

She would not let him finish that sentence. Immediately, she was over to his side of the carriage. Pushing him back against the seat as her hand gently covered her mouth.

"Even you," She whispered, her eyes staring intently into his, "I will not let say that. My dear An'Shen, you are no waste."

His face was pained, his body began to shake. Her hand gently moving to his cheek. Her smile was tender as his tears began to form.

"B-But I...I shouldn't be seen," His eyes seemed distant, as if he wasn't here, but somewhere else, "If I am then...Then I get hit. I can't be seen. Not in such a place. The house isn't for me..."

His mind was elsewhere. The Li'Yu Family. She saw it. Her blood boiling at the thought of those people. Just how horrible did you have to be to treat a child like that? Those scars don't just go away easily.

Even during his time with her at the academy there were moments he seemed to relapse. He was able to adapt, but that was in a smaller environment. People he knew and could trust were there. Her family were unknown.

"An'Shen..." Her arms enveloped him, holding him close, "You're not there anymore. Breath. You're with me. Breath. Slowly. I'm right here."

His breathing was ragged, heavy. Yet, he tried. In and out, over and over again. He clung to her, shivering. Shaking.

"I...I can't..." He muttered, his mind was running rampant, "If I make a mistake...then Miss Su...Miss Su had..."

"No," Zhu Fan'Hua shook her head, "Nothing will happen to Miss Su. Not while I exist."

"R-Really?" He suddenly looked up with pleading eyes at her, "You'll save her? No...you did save her..."

His smile trembled as tears flowed down his cheeks.

"Is this all real?" His words tore at her heart, "I'm not dreaming? I won't wake up in that...that room?"

Something in his words froze her. Room? What room?

"An'Shen, this is real," Her hand cupped his face, kissing his forehead, "See. Real. Now...tell me about this room."

His entire body went rigid, but his eyes seemed to focus better.

"When I was bad...really bad," He hugged her tightly, grounding himself, "They had a...a room they sent me in. It was small, cramped. Under the floor. I..."

He shook his head, squeezing her as hard as he could.

"...This really is real," He smiled such a relieved smile that it broke her heart, "That room...they would say that if I wanted to be in the house, then that's where I could stay."

This was the first she ever heard of this. The first she was ever told anything about such a room. They literally hid him under the house. In a small, cramped room.

"It was small...I could barely stand," He shivered, taking deep breaths, "The...walls were so close. I could reach out and touch them. It was cold, dark, and stone."

He looked off into the distance as the carriage rolled along. He was back in that place again.

"I could hear the sounds of people, but no one could hear me," He spoke softly, "I was grateful for the small shed they gave me. I at least wasn't in that room. I could breathe out there."

Lord Yi'Dao and Miss Su had never told her about this room. She would have to ask them about it when she had the chance. Did they even know? If they did, why didn't they tell her?

Right now, however, what was important was calming and reassuring An'Shen. She honestly had no idea what to do. The only thing she could do was to help ground him. Hopefully, that would be enough.

"An'Shen..." Her voice was tender, her hand caressing the back of his head, "You no longer have to go in that room. You are free to go wherever you wish. I'll make sure of it."

His eyes looked so hopeful and pleading.

"Do you really mean it?" He asked, his words causing a pang in her heart.

"Yes, An'Shen," She held him tighter, holding him closer, "You're mine. You are free. I will make sure it is done."

"...Thank you, Fan'Hua," He answered quietly.

She held him the rest of the way. Not letting go until they had to step out of the carriage. Even then, she held his hand, keeping him close. This revelation only hardened her resolve. The Li'Yu Family would definitely pay for what they did to her An'Shen.
    -----

"I had...forgot about the room," I muttered to Zhu Fan'Hua, "I suddenly remembered it..."

"Did Lord Yi'Dao and Miss Su know?" She asked me calmly.

"...No," I shook my head, "I was told to tell no one if I wanted to stay in my room."

I smiled the best I could. The Room was like a cellar. If I yelled, I'd be punished. Water would be thrown down. I'd freeze and shiver in the dark. Quiet and alone.

"I must have...blocked that memory," I shrugged, unsure, "Why...did I suddenly remember?"

"...I don't know," She answered, "But, what I do know is that I am here for you. You are safe."

Her words made me happy. It was reassuring. I loved her, I truly did. Even as I lost myself to memories locked away, she was there to help pull me back. I could only cling to her and remind myself that this was reality.

That lone, cold, dark room was no longer around me. Yet, it was ominously hanging over me. I could feel it. The walls all around. Zhu Fan'Hua made those walls disappear. If only for a moment.

"Thank you..." I held her tightly, "For everything..."

"You do not need to," She caressed my head, "However, you are more than welcome, my dear An'Shen."

"My dear...Huh, I like that," I felt the warmth in my heart, "Truly, thank you..."

She held me close as the walls of that room continued to fade away. I hoped her family liked me. I was anxious and nervous. Perhaps the fear of that unlocked an unpleasant memory.
    -----

15. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-One:
    Homecoming

"Are you alright now?" Zhu Fan'Hua asked, "If you need some time, we can-"

"N-No," An'Shen shook his head, "I'm alright. Really, after all. I have you here, right?"

His words touched her heart.

"Yes, my dear," She answered softly, "Always."

Her hand gripped his tightly, reassuringly. The carriage pulling itself along with Suyin and Miss Su guiding it. It took a while to get to the Zhu Estate. It was a large city with many people. Though they moved out of the way, they still weren't in a rush.

Soon, the walls of the estate could be seen. Large, white walls of stone. Guards positioned outside the main gates. The carriage came to a rolling stop as the guards opened the doors inside. An'Shen nervously looked outside as the carriage continued, passing through the gates.

The carriage once more came to a stop. This time in front of the family manor. Outside were several servants waiting, lined along the pathway to the front door. She could see them waiting there. Her mother and father.

Glancing through, she saw them standing and waiting. Her father, Zhu Gen, was not as tall as either her or her mother. Yet, he was well built and athletic. A scar along his right cheek. His skin sun kissed from training.

His hair a dark brown. His keen eyes a light brown. Which was a stark contrast to her mother. Fiery red hair tied up in an intricate bun. Two ebony hairpins with white flowers holding it together. Her eyes were like molten gold, an amber color unlike any other. Her fair skin flawless in the days light.

She stood slightly taller than her father, and was rather fit herself. Yet, it was subtle and hidden among the flowing crimson robes. Her father wore a more casual, official robes of crimson. They looked quite fitting next to each other.

"Are you ready?" Zhu Fan'Hua asked An'Shen, "You can take a moment if you wish."

"B-But...aren't they waiting?" He asked, swallowing hard.

She placed her hand upon his head, feeling his soft hair beneath it.

"An'Shen," She spoke softly, "It's fine. They can wait a while longer if you need."

He contemplated, furrowing his brow. After a while, he shook his head.

"No..." He answered, removing her hand from his head and holding it instead, "It's better to do this now...before I change my mind."

She laughed lightly, nodding. The door to the carriage opened, and into the courtyard they stepped.
    -----

I was nervous. More than usual. With Zhu Fan'Hua there I was feeling a lot more comfortable. Yet, the nervousness of this meeting was still coursing through me. I had glanced who I could only assume were her parents out of the window, and they were intimidating.

From what I could see, her mother was almost as tall as her. I was shorter than all of them. Even the servants as I stepped out of the carriage were taller than me. It was like I stepped into the land of giants. They greeted Zhu Fan'Hua as we stepped out.

Each step seemed slowed down. Every moment drawn out. My eyes drawn to Zhu Fan'Hua who held herself in a dignified manner. She belonged here. I did not. Yet, she wanted me here. I had to try and keep up.

Squeezing her hand tightly, I held myself as best as I could. Looking straight ahead as we came to the steps leading up to her parents. As I glanced up, I felt shivers run along my spine. The man was glaring at me. His light brown eyes narrowed in as if I was unworthy to be standing there.

"Greetings, Father. Mother," Zhu Fan'Hua greeted them lightly, bowing her head slightly, "It is good to see you both again."

Her father kept glaring at me. Breathing to calm myself, I shifted towards Zhu Fan'Hua. Her mother glanced at me with a rather curious expression. The contrast between her and her husband was stark.

"Is this the child?" She asked, her voice was light, but held depth, "The one who has stolen my precious daughters' heart?"

I flinched as Zhu Fan'Hua looked down at me. I realized then that I should introduce myself.

"A-Ah, greetings, Lady Zhu, Lord Zhu," I bowed my head deeply, nervousness in my voice, "It's a pleasure to meet you finally. I-I am An'Shen."

There was silence as I nervously glanced around. No one was saying anything. Lady Zhu watched with an amused expression. Lord Zhu continued to glare at me. Zhu Fan'Hua, however, simply watched calmly. Her hand holding mind was the only reassurance I had.

"...My dear daughter," Lady Zhu spoke up, her tone rather serious, "You didn't tell me...that he was so cute!"

Her tone suddenly changed, as the pit in my stomach loosened. She became more ecstatic and enthused as she moved down the steps towards me. Her robes flowing behind her. Before I knew it her hands held mine as she greeted me.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, An'Shen!" She exclaimed, smiling brilliantly, "My daughter doesn't tell me much, so when I heard she had a lover I was worried, but you're such an adorable child! I'm Zhu Xiaoli, please just call me mother!"

"...Mother," Zhu Fan'Hua cautioned, her tone cold, "You're overwhelming him."

"Oh nonsense!" She dismissed, waving a hand at her, "You worry too much!"

Zhu Fan'Hua was right. I was a bit overwhelmed. The sudden shift in tone and how I expected this to go was so different. She wanted me to call her mother? Didn't that mean she expected me to marry Zhu Fan'Hua?

"M-Marriage?" I felt dizzy at the thought.

"See," Zhu Fan'Hua pulled me from her, "He's getting dizzy."

"Oh come on!" She exclaimed, trying to pull me from her again.

"No," She stated sternly, "Promise me you'll take it easy. He's very easily overwhelmed."

I watched as her mother pouted. Her beautiful appearance becoming like that of a child. How could such a woman like her exist? She was so regal and dignified, yet in an instant she was like a child before her very own daughter. It was...rather amusing. So much that I laughed a little.

"I...I'm alright, Fan'Hua," I reassured her.

As I said her name, everyone seemed to tense up. Even her mother who raised an eyebrow.

"My, he's using just your name?" She teased, nudging her daughter with her elbow, "You didn't tell me you were that close."

"...An'Shen, please go with my mother," She sighed, resigning herself, "Miss Su and Suyin will meet you after getting our luggage settled."

"O-Okay," I nodded, looking towards Lady Zhu.

"Fantastic!" She exclaimed, pulling me gently by the hand, "Come this way! There's a lot I wish to ask of you!"

As she proceeded to bring me up the steps, her husband stepped in front of his. His glare causing me to flinch. Lady Zhu came to a stop, and I instinctively tried to hide behind her.

"Dear..." Lady Zhu addressed, a bit of a bite to her tone, "Are you getting in my way?"

His eye twitched slightly as he continued to scowl at me.

"That child..." His voice was deep, gruff and sounded angry, "He-"

"Father," Zhu Fan'Hua intoned, a coldness to it, "Do you want me to hate you?"

His demeanor entirely changed in that moment. His eyes went wide and the pressure I felt from him disappeared.

"What? No, I..." He exclaimed, his deep voice changing to a more normal tone, "But he-"

"Father," She interrupted coldly, "You're in mothers' way."

He glanced at Lady Zhu, sighing deeply before stepping aside.

"Good choice, Dear," Lady Zhu praised, patting him on the cheek, "Come on, An'Shen. Let's leave these two to talk. I'm sure they have a lot to talk about."

He flinched, looking rather cowed. The last I saw before entering the house was of Zhu Fan'Hua walking up to her father. Hand on his shoulder, whispering something I couldn't quite hear.
    -----

16. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-Two:
    Like Mother, Like Daughter

"Father..." Zhu Fan'Hua whispered close to his ear, "If you treat An'Shen horribly, I will hate you."

Her father winced at her words. His expression was pained, but she did not care. She loved her family, but she loved An'Shen more. No one, not even her family, would take him from her.

"But he's..." He sighed, relaxing back, "He's so small."

"And?" She asked, "What does that matter?"

"How will he protect you if-" He began to protest.

"Protect me?" Zhu Fan'Hua smiled, amused, "Do I really need protection? It is I who will protect him. Even from my family. Is that understood?"

Once more, her father felt the pressure and seriousness of her words.

"Yes, I understand," He nodded, resigned, "However! I will see who this man really-"

"Father," Zhu Fan'Hua interrupted, a chill in the air, "He is An'Shen. The one I love. Do you think me so naive to allow someone near me who wasn't genuine?"

"I...No, my child," He shook his head, "I just worry that-"

"That, what?" She asked him, "That he is just using me? An'Shen is not like that. If anything, I am using him."

Her father looked at her curiously.

"Come," She motioned, "I'll explain everything in your office."

With that, they left the front of the manor and proceeded inside. The servants went about their way to their respective duties. It had been a long time since she was home, but not much of it had changed.

Her father, Zhu Gen, was a renowned warrior. Yet, when he lost to her mother he fell into a similar role as An'Shen. Constantly being on the teasing end and deferring to them Her mother was, after all, the head of the Zhu Family.

He loved his family, especially his children. He was kind at heart, but overly protective. He knew the dangers of the courts. The politics of the world was cutthroat. He realized that firsthand when he began dating her mother. Many tried to slander him. He was from a lesser noble family. Barely could be considered a minor family.

"He really is only Base Stage 5?" Her father asked, skeptical.

"You felt it, didn't you?" She asked coolly.

They sat in his office. A spacious, yet cozy room. A desk with paperwork stacked on it and a crystal tablet built in. A sitting area near a fireplace was prepared for them. Tea was set and business was being discussed, but first things first was getting the An'Shen business taken care of.

"Father," She addressed him, sipping her tea, "An'Shen is mine. I have decided that. It's best you accept it."

"But my daughter, he's..." His words were caught in his throat as she glared at him, "J-Just hear me out. If that child really is that weak, then how can he protect your honor?"

"My honor?" She asked, bemused, "Father, my honor cannot be tainted. However, his honor can be. When that happens, I will wash away the blemish that marks it. One such family has already tried."

"...The Liu Family," He whispered, sighing, "Yes, I've heard the reports Suyin sent. Is it really true?"

"Yes," She nodded, setting her cup down, "The Liu Family have, on several occasions, tried to diminish him, as well as me. They even attacked my trade. I, in turn, gave them a choice."

She explained the choice much to her fathers horrified expression. His face in his hands as he just shook his head.

"Sometimes...I forget just how terrifying my precious daughter his," He laughed lightly, "You're just like your mother. Honestly, I was worried for nothing."

"You were," She answered calmly, "And you owe An'Shen an apology. Don't think I forgot how you greeted him."

"Ah...right," He rubbed the back of his neck anxiously, leaning back in his chair, "I suppose I do..."

Satisfied with her fathers understanding, they began to work on family matters. Her father was in charge of most affairs as it bored her mother. She was a rather carefree person. Yet, she was incredibly strong. She hoped that An'Shen was doing well with her. Even for Zhu Fan'Hua, her mother could be a bit...much.
    -----

"Have you tried this?" Lady Zhu exclaimed, pushing a plate of treats towards me.

She had dragged me through the building at a rather brisk pace. I had no choice but to half jog to keep up. By the time we got to where we were going, I was quite out of breath. We were in a garden courtyard. Sitting comfortably in a small pavilion next a pond.

"I...No," I answered, trying to catch my breath, "I haven't tried those..."

Her eyes took me in as several servants moved about. It was a bit stifling and I could understand why Zhu Fan'Hua warned me, or rather had warned her. I was quite overwhelmed, but this was her mother. I had to-

"An'Shen, was it?" She asked me, bringing her hand under her chin, "If you are uncomfortable, please do say. You are my guest, and an important person to my precious Fan'Hua."

Her words were kind. They reminded me a lot of Zhu Fan'Hua herself. Was this where she got it from? Like mother like daughter, perhaps?

"I...Okay," I smiled, nodding, "It is a bit...much. I'm not used to all of this. It's usually just me and her..."

"Oh? What has my daughter been doing?" She asked, tapping her chin, "I should have sent with her at least five other servants."

"F-Five?" I asked rather shocked, "There was only her, Suyin, and Miss Su. And myself, of course."

"Oh dear..." She clicked her tongue in thought, "Well...I suppose she had her reasons. She did warn me...Hmm, very well."

She clapped her hands and half of the servants left. Leaving just her, me, and two others.

"Is this a bit more relaxed?" She asked with a kind smile.

I felt rather embarrassed at this sudden treatment.

"Y-You didn't need to," I replied, looking down bashfully, "But...yes. So many people is..."

Her eyes watched me curiously. I felt like I was being judged, but also she seemed quite patient. I heard the sliding of a plate as she pushed the treats she had offered before, over to me.

"Try them," She told me, "They're quite sweet. One of Fan'Hua's favorites."

"Th-They are?" My eyes lit up as I looked at them.

They were small, yellow squares with some kind of white powder over top. Cautiously, I picked one up. The moment I bit into it I tasted the flavor. It was nothing I've ever tasted before. It was sweet yet bitter. It was quite refreshing.

"You like them?" Her words were more of a statement then a question, "I'll make sure to have more made then. They're called Lemon Squares. When she was a child, Fan'Hua used to gorge herself on these."

"R-Really?" I asked, rather skeptical, "I can't really imagine her...gorging on anything."

She laughed lightly, motioning for the servants to poor some tea. They were dressed quite neatly in comfortable looking white and red robes. Their hair was well taken care of and tied in a tight bun. The symbol of the Zhu Family embroidered on their uniform.

"So, An'Shen," Her tone got serious as she leaned forward, resting her chin upon her hands, "Tell me...My daughter. Do you love her?"

I almost choked upon the lemon square. A mischievous smile across her lips as she motioned for me to drink my tea. The devious look in her eye was almost exactly like Zhu Fan'Hua. She may be adopted, but they bore a striking resemblance in manners. Like mother, like daughter.
    -----

17. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-Three:
    Unexpected Offender

"Do I...Love her?" I repeated, stunned by the sudden question.

"Yes," She smiled, tilting her head, "Do you love my daughter?"

There was honestly no real question. There was only one answer. Swallowing the last bit of lemon square, I washed it down before answering.

"Lady Zhu..." I addressed her rather solemnly, "Is there a reason you ask me this?"

I glanced up at her, my eyes rather fierce. I heard her tone, and her intent. Yet, I wanted to be sure. I grew up cut off from the world. I was abused and hated. I didn't know a lot of things, but I wasn't entirely naive.

There would always be people pushing back against me and Zhu Fan'Hua. I wasn't even sure of my own birth. I may have come from the Li'Yu Family, but even I was adopted. Her mother seemed kind, but Zhu Fan'Hua was still her daughter.

"That's quite the fierce look," She mused, returning my gaze, "Yes, there is a reason. My daughter is who she is. Many try to vie for her attention."

I knew that firsthand. Liu Chao was one of those. He had beat me and tried to steal the gifts I had bought for her, Miss Su, and Suyin. I knew very well that many vied for her attention. She was the untouchable. The Black Lotus. The Cold-Hearted Princess.

"...I know," I responded, glancing down at the table, "Even so...Are you saying that's why you question if I love her?"

"What I'm saying, An'Shen," Her tone got serious, "There are plenty of better, more qualified partners. Why should it be you? If I am sensing you correctly...you haven't even left the Base Stage yet."

My entire blood froze. I felt cold as her words washed over me. She had seemed so kind, but with just those few words she hit my exact insecurities.

"On top of that," She continued, stirring her tea, "While you are quite cute, you aren't much to write home about. Is that really the type of person who will stand next to my daughter? Is that-"

"Quiet..." I muttered angrily.

For some reason, her words hurt. No, I knew the reason. Every insecurity she was hitting. Every single little thing I hated about myself, she had found and picked away. She was right. There were many, better candidates out there.

"Excuse me?" She asked, her tone growing cold.

I could feel the pressure growing. The air grew humid as I found it suddenly hard to breath.

"Hmm...that's interesting," Lady Zhu muttered to herself, her eyes narrowing in on me, "You are quite...unique indeed. Now, answer me. What did you say?"

I found myself trembling. I was scared. Terrified. I had just spoken out of instinct. The word leaving my lips before I could even think. Would she kick me out? She had been so kind up until now. Just like...just like my "siblings".

"Come on! Let's play!" They would yell when I was very small, "Hurry up!"

Their words lit up my heart. I felt happy, but that happiness didn't last. I soon found myself pushed down, beat up, and otherwise made fun of.

"Did you really think we wanted to play with you?" Li'Yu Gang sneered, "I can't believe you fell for it."

"Yeah! So stupid," Li'Yu Meixiu laughed, "You're such an eyesore. Look at him, crying like that."

They would offer to play with me only to then turn around and berate me. Beat me up and make me feel bad. This reminded me a lot of that time. Did she lie to me? Earlier she said to call her mother, but now she was saying such cruel things.

"An'Shen," Zhu Fan'Hua spoke softly to me, "You are mine. Always. Never forget that."

The memory of her words rang clear in my head. Cutting through all my doubt and fears. I found myself looking up at Lady Zhu. She was watching me with what seemed like, cold, calculating eyes. Her demeanor was quite intimidating.

There was no way Zhu Fan'Hua would allow me to be kicked out. Because what she said, Zhu Fan'Hua did not agree with. Even if I believed the words. There was one person who didn't. That person was all that mattered.

"I said, Lady Zhu," I swallowed hard, trying to temper my fear, "To be quiet..."

I was trembling as she raised an eyebrow in my direction. I was terrified, but I knew now why I had spoken out of instinct. Zhu Fan'Hua would never, ever, get rid of me. I was hers. She told me as such. Even if this was her mother, I wouldn't hear it.

"Oh?" She smiled, leaning forward, her chin resting upon her hands, "And why should I?"

"...B-Because..." I trembled, feeling rather dizzy, "While I agree with you...She doesn't. I won't...I won't hear that from you. I r-refuse to hear that from anyone. E-even her mother."

I felt the entire world spin. My hand catching myself on the table as I looked up at her. My eyes as determined as they could get.

"S-She told me...that she loved me," I breathed heavily, "S-So I will believe...as best as I can, in her words. I-I am...hers, and she...is mine."

The table felt like it was coming closer to me. No, it was. I barely felt my head hit the table. My body felt quite hot. It was so humid. Why was it so hard to breath?

"Oh dear...it looks like I over did it," Lady Zhu muttered, seeming quite concerned, "She'll be upset with me...Someone, quick...bring me..."

It was the last I heard before my vision faded to black.
    -----

"...Mother," Zhu Fan'Hua glared, her tone cold, "Might I asked why An'Shen is like this? Even Taixu is worried..."

The air was cold as Zhu Fan'Hua stood over her mother and An'Shen. He was completely passed out. Laying upon her mother's lap with a cool cloth over his forehead. Taixu had appeared and was mewling softly. Tapping him on the cheek softly with their paw.

"W-Well you see, I-" She explained nervously.

"No," Zhu Fan'Hua cut her off, "I can assume what happened. You tested him, didn't you?"

Her mother scratched her cheek anxiously. That was all Zhu Fan'Hua needed to know. Clenching her fist, she gathered mana into her middle knuckle.

"N-Now daughter...come on..." She laughed anxiously, "W-We can talk about this..."

"I trusted him to you..." She answered coolly, "I figured you'd take a liking to him, but this...I really thought it would be father. That was my mistake."

In a swift motion she rapped her mother upon the forehead. A small, icy explosion silently went off upon it as her mother winced, holding her forehead. She pouted, staring up at her daughter.

"I'm sorry..." She whimpered, "Please don't hate your mother. I just-"

"You went after his insecurities, didn't you?" Zhu Fan'Hua interjected, "You always have a knack to find that in people."

"What can I say? It's a skill I learned in trading..." She sighed, rubbing her forehead, "I didn't know it affected him that much."

"What part of sensitive did you not understand?" Zhu Fan'Hua sighed, kneeling down by An'Shen, "Honestly...I don't think he'll trust you after this."

"W-What? No!" She exclaimed, rather hurt by it, "Why?"

"Why?" Zhu Fan'Hua shot her a look, "You did this, and you are asking why?"

Her mother knew she was right. Her mother wasn't a horrible person, but like her father was a bit overprotective. She had figured she'd talk An'Shen's ear off, but not test him. At least not right away.

"Honestly, mother," Zhu Fan'Hua berated, "You didn't even give me a chance to explain anything."

"Explain?" She raised an eyebrow, becoming rather curious, "Is he not just a common boy? He's not even out of Base Stage."

"...Right, so then why did you exert such pressure?" She accused, glaring coldly at her mother.

"I-I felt some resistance, so..." She looked away awkwardly.

"You should have just stopped," Zhu Fan'Hua sighed, brushing An'Shen's hair out of his face, "Well, we can't change what happened, but don't think I'll forgive you that easily."

Her mother winced as she smiled apologetically.

"So...what do we do?" Her mother asked, "I'll look after him and apologize, so..."

Zhu Fan'Hua motioned for the servants to bring some chairs. Her father was nearby, watching. They had got done with their talks and went to check up on An'Shen and her mother. That was when Miss Su came running to her and informed her that An'Shen had fainted.

"What you do, is listen," Zhu Fan'Hua sat down, glaring coldly at the both of them, "An'Shen is mine. That will never change. As for explaining..."
    -----

18. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-Four:
    A Story and Apology

It wasn't an easy story to listen to. Zhu Fan'Hua explained everything she knew about An'Shen to her parents. He was a frail boy who could not cultivate. With a special condition that seemed to negate or at least put into disarray the mana around him. This included other peoples.

He was the cure to her condition. This was the first thing that intrigued her about him. She explained how they met and how she grew to care for him. Ever since she was young the seed had been planted. She loved him as a little girl, and only realized it as an young adult.

As she explained his story and the treatment at the hands of the Li'Yu Family, their expressions went from shock and horror, to anger and disgust. When she mentioned the small room he was cramped in, Miss Su gasped. This confirmed that she had no idea about it. She was able to forgive Miss Su right then and there.

"How...could anyone treat a child like that?" Her mother wondered softly, "Even with such a condition, that's...horrible."

"...You said it was the Li'Yu Family?" Her father asked, as she heard the fire burning in his tone.

"Don't. Father," Zhu Fan'Hua ordered.

They all looked at her with confusion.

"But they-" Her father began but she simply held up a hand.

"It is An'Shen's choice," She explained quietly, "Do you really think I would have just left it otherwise? I want him to decide. No, he needs to be the one to decide."

"...I understand where you're coming from, my child," Her mother said, "But, is that really wise? From what I can tell, he's rather timid. If he-"

"If he doesn't choose," Zhu Fan'Hua explained, interrupting, "Then I will make a move. I won't let them get him again."

Her mother looked around at the people near them. She dismissed the two regular servants. It left her mother, father, Miss Su, Suyin, and herself. Just those five, including An'Shen who was completely passed out. That, and Taixu.

"My child, does your-" Her mother began, but Zhu Fan'Hua stopped her.

"Taixu...return to him," She ordered.

The Mao Long looked up from where they were curled upon his chest. Tilting its head, it seemed to almost frown before nodded. They seemed to step through a fold in the air, and then they were gone.

"Now...you were saying?" Zhu Fan'Hua asked her mother.

"That...thing, what is..." Her mother trailed off as her daughter gave her a look, "Right, we can address that later. Have you...informed your other family as well?"

"No," She shook her head, "Not exactly. They only know I've used the Eyes. I've only told them what they needed to know. If I told them everything, then..."

The entire garden was silent as they all understood. Zhu Fan'Hua's gaze passed to Miss Su. She knew her real identity as well and has been keeping it from An'Shen. She was holding her robes anxiously.

"Miss Su..." Zhu Fan'Hua called, causing her to jump, "I promise you, I'll tell him the truth. Just...not yet."

"I know you will, Young Miss," She smiled gently, "I just worry for him. He's always been frail, and you know he's been lied to a lot...he's trusting you."

Miss Su didn't have to say it. She already knew, but it was good to be reminded. An'Shen did trust her. When he found out about her real identity as Xiao'Wu Shui, the Second Princess of the Xiao'Wu Empire, she was worried about his reaction. It was already a lot for him to know she was from a Central Family.

"I know you understand that," Miss Su continued, looking over at An'Shen, "I trust that you'll take care of him."

"...I will," She stated simply, a weight to her words, "In the meantime, I must deal with some things. I must get stronger."

She looked over to her mother, a seriousness in her gaze.

"I will entrust him to you," She cautioned her, "However, take good care of him. You're my family. My mother, and I love you all dearly. Yet, if anything happens to him..."

Her mother's expression softened as she nodded.

"I know, my dear daughter," She smiled, glancing down at An'Shen and gently tucking his hair behind his ear, "I've become quite fond of him myself. He stood up to me quite well."
    -----

I was shivering. Shaking. Li'Yu Wang was fuming about something. The pressure filled the room as I found it hard to breath. I was afraid. Running, falling. The Room was cold and solid. Everything was wet.

Water was thrown on me. The moment it hit my face I jolted awake. Breathing heavily, my heart pounding in my chest. A gentle hand held my hand, pushing me back down.

"It's alright," A soft voice called out, "Take some breaths. You've had quite the fright."

Breathing heavily, I looked around to find myself in a place I didn't recognize. A room that would be spacious if not for the furniture and other decorations. Potted plants of a variety I didn't know. Wide leaves of green and thick stalks.

The walls were wooden planks fit neatly together. A circular table set in the middle of the room was surrounded by four chairs. All of which looked rather intricately carved and upholstered in a deep green. Bookshelves set with books and scrolls set to one side of the room.

Large windows let in a cool breeze. The blue sky and the flowered branches of a cherry blossom tree could be seen. Hearing the sound of water being wrung out, my eyes finally found the one who had pushed me back down gently. It was Lady Zhu.

My heart caught in my throat as I remembered everything that happened. Why was she here? Was this another ruse? Her face looked gentle, but earlier her words were harsh. Yet, here I was in a rather comfortable bed with her seemingly taking care of me.

"Don't move," She ordered quietly, "You shouldn't move so quickly."

She placed the wet, cool cloth upon my forehead.

"I...am sorry," She whispered, "Earlier, I did more than I should."

I shrunk a bit into the bed. Realizing the water I felt in that nightmare was most likely the cloth I felt on my face. I was scared. Uncertainty ran through me as I watched her, not saying a word. If I said the wrong thing, what would happen?

The fear from the nightmare still fresh in my mind. Was this real? I could feel the sheets of the bed. I could feel the cold, wet cloth. Yes, this was real. The smell of fresh flowers and air entered my nose.

"...An'Shen," She called to me softly, "I understand if you are afraid. My daughter...told me about your past."

My heart seized up as anxiety took hold. If she knew of my past then what would her reaction be? She knew of my insecurities before, but now she knew everything. Why was she told that? Why would Zhu Fan'Hua tell her?

My eyes began to dart around as my body began to lock up. Everything went tense as I retreated even further into the bed. My eyes never leaving Lady Zhu. Her face looked concerned, worried even. Yet, I couldn't trust it.

She reached cautiously towards me, and the moment she did I instinctively moved away from it. The wet cloth falling off. Her hand hovered, paused where it was. A soft sigh escaped her lips as she picked it up. I watched as she, very determinedly, reapplied the water to the cloth.

"My dear child," She explained sweetly, "You've had a fever and been sweating. We need to cool you off. Please, I promise you I mean you no harm."

Her words felt genuine, but feeling wasn't always true. So many times before I had trusted the feeling in words. Each time I was burned. Just like earlier I had truly believed she was a kind woman. She even invited me to call her mother. I had been happy.

Not long after that, when I felt so comfortable, she turned. She saw my insecurities immediately and attacked them. Used them against me and made me question my love for Zhu Fan'Hua. No, that wasn't right. Not my love for her, but her love for me. How could I trust someone like that?

"...Please," She pleaded, motioning for me to move closer.

Despite my apprehension I slowly made my way back. Her words I may be wary of, but her eyes seemed rather remorseful. I learned to watch the eyes when I was younger. Though I tried to avoid eye contact most of the time, I knew that they spoke truth.

I got good at looking carefully to not be caught. When eye contact was frowned up, I had to be careful. Looking at them in the eyes was always a disrespectful action. It was rewarded with a beating. A smack to the face or a kick in the ribs.

Perhaps the reason I wasn't being punished in that moment was part of why I warily trusted her. She smiled kindly as I returned. Carefully, she placed the cloth back on my forehead. Her hand brushing my hair out of the way. It had caused me to flinch, but when I did she held her hands up to show me she had no ill-intention.

"...Why?" I finally asked softly, my eyes averting their gaze, "Why are you...caring for me?"

She seemed to tense up before relaxing. I could only see her slightly, as I looked at her out of the corner of my eye.

"Well," She answered quietly, "Part of it is as way of apology. To show you that I really do mean well. The other part you may not believe. You may not even believe the first part."

"...What is it?" I asked cautiously.

There was a brief silence before she took a deep, calming breath.

"The other part, dear child," She responded, "Is that I care. I have since my daughter told me about you. I don't expect forgiveness right away. I went too far and caused you harm."

"...Those words," I muttered, looking down at myself, "Hit quite hard...."

Why was I telling her these things? I was scared and uncertain. Perhaps it was because no one has ever tried to apologize before. This was new for me. Was I talking to test the water? To see how far I could go and what I could say before she got angry with me.

"I am truly sorry, An'Shen," She apologized once more, "That was inappropriate of me. I had tested you in a way I should not have..."

"Tested me?" I finally looked towards her, confused, "Why?"

"You made it quite easy," She answered, sighing, "You gave me such a fierce look. A look that was protective. Defensive. This is no excuse, but my inner curiosity got the best of me. A single question popped into my head."

I watched her carefully. As she spoke, she wrung her hands nervously. Picking at her thumbs and forefingers.

"What question?" I inquired.

She smiled ashamedly, "...How far will he go?"

She shrugged apologetically before her shoulders fell. Her entire demeanor changing. If she was lying to me, she was really good at it. Perhaps it was because of Zhu Fan'Hua, but I felt a bit more confident to give Lady Zhu a chance. If it burned me this time, it was on me.

"Alright..." I sighed, "Explain it to me..."

Her eyes lit up almost immediately. Nodding as a small, hopeful smile curled her lips.
    -----

19. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-Five:
    Making Amends

"My daughter rarely takes an interest in anyone," Zhu Xiaoli explained, "You called her Fan'Hua. That told me you're rather close."

An'Shen shifted slightly as she explained. He was just as fragile as her daughter had told her. His body was light, despite being told he had put on weight. That just meant his treatment had been even worse before. How was he smaller than he was now?

"As her mother, I am quite curious on her love life," She felt rather embarrassed to admit it, "After all, you took her interest. Something that, to be honest, I never thought would happen for her."

"...Why?" An'Shen asked, furrowing his brow, "She's...I mean, she's a good person."

Zhu Xiaoli raised an eyebrow in amusement at his words. He wasn't entirely wrong, but not entirely right. Her daughter was a person who did whatever they wished. She helped those she believed to be her "people". If you weren't her people, then you didn't matter.

She wouldn't go out of the way to harm anyone, but she would never bat an eye at doing so should they cross her. Of course, she was pragmatic. She understood the dos and don'ts of society. She just often didn't care. Many considered this coldhearted.

It took someone rather special to get through the barrier she has around her heart. This child, An'Shen, did just that without even realizing it. She wasn't a horrible person, but to call her good was perhaps being too biased.

"She is a good person....to those that matter," Zhu Xiaoli finally said, "What you need to know about my daughter is she cares very little for anyone who isn't hers."

"...I know," He said suddenly, a slight smile to his lips, "I don't mind that, but...that's why if people got to know her, they would see that. She isn't a bad person. You just need to get to know her."

"You know?" She asked, rather amused, "You surprise me. So you are fine with that?"

"Lady Zhu," His tone became rather solemn, yet his face was soft, "Fan'Hua has killed people in front of me. She's gotten hurt because of it, much to my worry. It was...foolish of me. She could heal so quickly."

He smiled fondly as he spoke. Zhu Xiaoli was rather surprised to hear the things he said. She had killed people in front of him? Yet, he didn't seem upset. His gaze into the distance told her that he was rather unconcerned.

"I admit, I was scared," He continued, "She had...hurt people before. Liu Chao was one of them, and those with him. But never has she ever killed."

"Liu Chao...my daughter told me about him," Zhu Xiaoli's tone grew a bit dark, "I'm told he has been a nuisance."

"Yes, but she saved me," His entire face lit up with such love that Zhu Xiaoli was taken aback, "She was so...cool. Strong and fierce. I felt so safe with her by me. Yet, I asked her not to kill them. I didn't want her to sully her hands. I didn't think it was worth it. We're all just kids."

His words were rather wise for his age. Zhu Xiaoli was fully aware that if An'Shen had not asked her to not kill them, that those two brothers would be dead. Liu Chao had gotten his older brother, and they had harassed An'Shen.

"She...tries to hide it from me," He smiled, amused, "She was so worried I'd hate her, but how? How could I? She has saved me more than I deserve. Treated me kindly. Loved me and made me feel worth it. Even if..."

"...Even if you don't believe it yourself," Zhu Xiaoli finished his sentence quietly, "I see now how and why you would react the way you did towards me."

He nodded, shifting around a bit to get comfortable.

"An'Shen..." Zhu Xiaoli spoke softly, reaching a comforting hand to his shoulder, "I am sorry...I saw those insecurities and I dug in. I wondered how resolved you were."

He flinched slightly under her hand, but otherwise stayed still. Listening.

"I kept pushing," She explained, "You held up quite well. I wanted to put some pressure on you. Yet, there was resistance. I went overboard and..."

She motioned to the bed and how he was now.

"This was the result," She looked away, ashamed, "I now understand why there was resistance."

"...My condition," He muttered.

"Yes, my daughter told me," She smiled sadly, "I hear though, that you've been of help to her. For that, you have my eternal gratitude. That child has lived in pain all her life. For that, I want to thank you."

Zhu Xiaoli brought both her hands together before her, bowing her head deeply towards An'Shen. This caught him off-guard as he rushed to stop her. His hands waving at her in confusion and embarrassment.

"P-Please, don't...you don't have to," He stuttered, embarrassed, "Raise your head. Please..."

Zhu Xiaoli began to slowly understand just what her daughter saw in him. He was genuine. He held no ulterior motives. He was just a hurt, broken boy. A kindhearted individual who knew the horrors of cruel people. Her daughter wished to protect him from all of that, but he was much stronger than perhaps even her daughter gave him credit for.

"You're quite aware situations," Zhu Xiaoli told him, "You take things in such stride."

"I don't know about that..." He muttered shyly, "There's a lot I don't know, or don't understand. So I don't know how aware I am. I don't have the luxury to be picky."

Zhu Xiaoli's heart ached. He was just as her daughter told her. He took things in such stride because he had no self-awareness. He didn't care about himself, and so just went along with everything. He had no other choice back at the Li'Yu Estate, and it has stuck with him all this time.

To never be able to do what you wanted. To be told you're a waste from such a young age took a toll on him. It would take a toll on anyone. To be denied even the most basic right of choice was tragic. Her heart and mind were decided.

"An'Shen," Her tone grew serious, "That's wrong, isn't it? My daughter said you were hers. You even told me that, right?"

"Y-Yeah?" He shrunk back a bit, wary, "Why?"

"Then, be picky," She stated, "You are my daughters' lover. Therefore, you are my son. You have the right to choose. If anyone says otherwise, even your own self, they'll have to answer not just to me, but my daughter. Do you doubt her?"

"What? No!" He exclaimed immediately, then grew embarrassed, "I-I mean...No, I don't doubt her. I can only trust and believe in her."

"Then do so," She smiled, satisfied with his answer, "You already know, don't you? That you are able to tell her anything and it will get done, right?"

He was silent as he contemplated her words. Slowly, he nodded.

"I always had some feeling about it," He said, a small smile to his face, "But, I don't want to. I am fine with anything she chooses, and if I do want something I know I can speak up. I just..."

"Don't want to abuse it?" Zhu Xiaoli laughed lightly, "You are not abusing her kindness, nor are you being a burden if you ask for anything."

He looked rather skeptical, but she was confident he was beginning to understand.

"But, An'Shen," She spoke, taking the cloth from his forehead, "You do not have to force yourself. Take your time. It's a lot to adjust to something you're not used to."

Cautiously, she gently placed her hand on his forehead. This time, he didn't flinch. He smiled a small, uncertain smile as he nodded. He was so timid. His life had been quite difficult. He was like a small animal lost out in the rain.

Cold, shivering, and alone. Yet, he was no longer alone. He knew this, but like any abandoned, abused creature he was wary of the kindness of others. Only her daughter was able to get through to him. She would also have to try her best.

After all, he was her daughter's precious lover. That child who never played well with others had someone they cared so much for. She still felt the place her daughter had hit her. She had never raised her hand against her before. Yes, this child's life would change for the better. He was safe in her daughter's hands.

Zhu Xiaoli looked forward to seeing how everything turned out. To see how brilliantly these two would shine together. After all, even she had never seen her daughter smile so genuinely.
    -----

The next few days I had not seen Fan'Hua. She had been busy with work and I couldn't disturb her. Rather, I didn't want to. I knew I probably could, but I felt like she had to get her work done. Of course, it wasn't just that.

Her mother, Lady Zhu, had been constantly visiting me. Her cheery smile as she tried her best to make up for the words she had previously said. By now I was aware that she truly was sorry, but much like Fan'Hua had told me before, it was overwhelming.

She would wrap her arms around mine, taking me out for tea and snacks. Any sweet I wanted, she'd have made. Any food I even mentioned of craving, she had prepared. Despite my apprehension and feeling overwhelmed, it was all rather endearing.

I had never had someone apologize like this before. I couldn't stay upset at her. I understood her reasonings. She was much like Fan'Hua in that she loved to tease and push people to see their reactions. On one particular occasion, she had even gotten me to blush completely red. That occasion was today.

"So, what have you and my daughter done?" She asked nonchalantly, a sly smile to her face, "You've been together a while. So, have you two-"

"W-What!? No!" I exclaimed, finding my heart pounding in my chest, "I...You...what?"

"My, you are adorable," She proclaimed, "If you weren't my daughter's then..."

We were out in the garden where we first talked. Sitting upon a bench, enjoying the weather and some snacks. She moved closer to me, wrapping her arm around mine and purposefully pressing herself against me.

"L-Lady Zhu..." I fidgeted, trying to get away, "Th-This isn't..."

Her expression turned sultry as she looked upon me.

"This isn't...what?" She whispered, barely an inch from my ear.

Immediately, I flinched. Jumping and breaking free from her grasp. Moving to the furthest side of the bench as I felt my cheek burning. Why was she doing this? She was just like Fan'Hua. Her laughter at my reaction was light and amused.

"...Mother," A familiar voice spoke out coldly.

Immediately the laughter stopped as Lady Zhu froze. Slowly, she looked nervously over her shoulder.

"F-Fan'Hua, my precious daughter," She stated anxiously.

"Mother," She greeted, walking closer, "I'm glad you two seem to have made amends, however..."

She moved over towards me, her movement seemed to entrance me. Before I knew it, her arms were wrapped around behind me. Her hand under my chin as her other hand traced her fingers along my cheek.

"Only I can tease him," She glared at her mother.

The look in her eye caught the breath in my throat. It was sultry, dangerous. Swallowing hard, I felt the red in my cheeks grow even more. The sound of my heart beat loudly in my chest.
    -----

20. Nikushimi

Nikushimi Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chapter Twenty-Six:
    A Bit of Boldness

Zhu Fan'Hua ran her fingers along An'Shen's cheek. She had come to find him as she had not seen him in a few days. Seeing her mother teasing him, she became a little territorial. Only she could tease him. Of course, she didn't exactly mind his reaction. Every side she could see of his that wasn't sad or injured was good.

Still, An'Shen was hers and the moment she saw her mother teasing him, she became possessive. Interjecting and claiming what was hers. She held to him protectively as she gazed at her mother. The look in her eye telling her one thing. He was hers.

"So...mother," Zhu Fan'Hua addressed her, "What do you have to say for yourself?"

"Well..." She scratched her cheek nonchalantly, "Do I need to say anything? I was only having a bit of fun. I meant no harm."

"Perhaps..." Zhu Fan'Hua stated, "Still, I think An'Shen would prefer if it was me."

"Is that so?" She questioned, "He didn't seem to mind that much..."

An'Shen shifted under Zhu Fan'Hua's arms. He was embarrassed. Zhu Fan'Hua smiled, seizing the opportunity.

"I'm not so sure about that..." She tilted his chin up towards her, "Did you mind?"

"I-I...Uhm," His eyes shifted around, embarrassed, "I mean...it was...I..."

"An'Shen, my dear," Zhu Fan'Hua cooed, "Don't be nervous. Answer me. Speak clearly. Did you mind it? Or...do you prefer me?"

She got real close to his ear as she said this. Causing him to blush deeply.

"...Y-You..." He whispered softly.

"I couldn't hear that," She teased him, "You have to speak up."

He shifted, blushing even further in his unique way. Zhu Fan'Hua relished this. Seeing him squirm with that slight smile to his face was too cute.

"Well, come on," She coaxed, "Tell us."

"Hrmm," He pouted, furrowing his brow, "I said...I prefer you, Fan'Hua."

While his words were soft, even demure, they hit her heart with the force unlike any other. She couldn't help but smile. Becoming a bit embarrassed herself.

"I see," She looked towards her mother, "As you heard him, mother. He prefers me to tease him."

Suddenly, she felt arms wrap around her, hugging her tightly. It was An'Shen. He buried his head into her.

"Oh my..." Her mother held a hand to her mouth, amused, "It seems he likes more than the teasing."

"A-An'Shen?" Zhu Fan'Hua asked, rather confused and a bit flustered.

"...I prefer you," He muttered, "All of you...not just the teasing, you know."

He looked up at her, pouting. She felt a pull in her heart. This was illegal.

"Now that's not fair," She breathed, "My mother is right there, and you..."

"I...what?" He teased, his face red.

Was he teasing her? She could only smile mischievously. He was teasing her. What a devious thing for him. It was cute how he was trying.

"Well, my dear," Her finger ran under his chin, sending shivers down his body, "If you wish to be devoured in front of my mother, I won't say no."

He swallowed hard, her lips a mere breath away. His breathing quickened before he pulled away.

"M-Maybe not," He blushed, looking away bashfully.

She laughed lightly, caressing the back of his head. Looking towards her mother, she saw the stars in her eyes as she watched. Zhu Fan'Hua knew she would never hear the end of this. Her mother was, if anything, invested in her children's love lives.

She always wished them the best, and she had always hoped that Zhu Fan'Hua would find someone to share her life with. Someone she could open her heart to. Part of her had given up on that because of how Zhu Fan'Hua was, but now she was able to see just how close she was to An'Shen.

Zhu Fan'Hua mused to herself in that moment. Youshan may have started the An'Hua fan club, but her mother may take it completely over. Sighing to herself, she released An'Shen reluctantly. Turning towards her mother.

"So, mother," She became rather serious, "I've talked with Father, and it seems I'll be busier the coming days."

"You will?" An'Shen's voice spoke up, saddened.

"Yes," Zhu Fan'Hua nodded, "I am sorry. Though, I guess I could-"

"Nuhuh," An'Shen shook his head, giving her a brave smile, "You have work to do, right? If you put it off, you'll have to do it later. If you get it done now, then..."

He stopped talking as he became embarrassed.

"Then?" Zhu Fan'Hua asked, already knowing the answer.

"Th-Then...we have more time together after," He muttered shyly.

"Yes, I suppose you're right," She responded, hand upon his head.

She played with his hair as she thought of it. He was right. If she put it off then she would have to do it all later. If she wanted time with him uninterrupted, then she had to do this.

"I...was told I could ask for something?" He continued, wringing his hands nervously.

"Of course," Zhu Fan'Hua answered coolly, "Anything. You are mine, and if it's within my power, you may have it. You simply need to ask. Don't be afraid to ask for something."

"Then...please, Fan'Hua," He requested, "Do your best, and hurry back to me..."

He barely whispered it, too embarrassed to speak louder. Yet, his words carried their way right to her heart. His hand clinging to her sleeve. Her eyes widened as her resolve to work hardened.

"Well, now that you've asked that," She responded, smiling confidently, "I can't disappoint you. It's the first thing you've ever really asked. I'll make sure to do my best and hurry back to you."

He smiled, shifting timidly. He was blushing, embarrassed.

"So, you've heard him, mother," She told her, "Make sure to take good care of him. Miss Su and Suyin will be with him, of course. So, behave yourself."

"Me? Behave?" Her mother asked, smiling innocently, "Always."

Zhu Fan'Hua narrowed her eyes, to which her mother sighed.

"Yes, my dear daughter," She laughed lightly, "I'll make sure he's safe. Don't worry."

"Thank you," She nodded, leaning down and kissing him upon the forehead, "Don't do anything reckless, alright?"

He nodded, looking away as if in thought. She watched as his face seemed to settle on something. He turned, arms wrapping around her neck as he kissed her. She didn't have much time to react, as it was rather sudden. Still, the feeling and taste lingered. Her fingers hovering over her lips in surprise.

"D-Do your best," He whispered.

She nodded, refreshed and renewed. If he was being this bold, he must really miss her. Her heart was warmed.

"...I will," She answered, turning to leave.

She saw a new, bold side to him this day. It didn't last long, but she had seen it. Now, however, he hid his face in his hands at what he just did. His demure, timid nature was too much. If she stayed any longer, it didn't matter if her mother was there or not. She'd devour him.
    -----