Discussion Do people deserve what happens to them?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Bad Storm, Jul 30, 2022.

?

Do people deserve what happens to them?

1. Yes

7.3%
  2. No

14.6%
  3. Maybe

53.7%
  4. Maybe not

29.3%
  5. *noms skullie cake*

29.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bad Storm

Bad Storm no thought, head empty

Reading List:
    Link
    A slight rant, I guess.

I feel like I misjudged a person. Acted upon that misjudgement with an intention to help, thinking they are maybe simply unaware of how bad their decision might be. I rarely do this. I let people be by themselves, be who they are, act as they want; as long as I'm not drag too.

And yet, despite the warning signs, they still continued doing things. My words, wasted. My thoughts, unacknowledged. I wonder if they deserve what happens to them when the time comes when it will not end well. For the life of me, I don't see it ending any other way.

One Perfect Veteran and Emma626 like this.
  2. AkaNoOu

AkaNoOu Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1 or 2 bad decisions no. But after repeated warnings yep they deserve it.

3. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What has happened cannot be changed. Since we only have our own perspective we are the only ones who can take action. You can do what your conscience tells you but if there's nothing more you can do then it is no longer your concern.

4. Marvin

Marvin The Man who realize love

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with the guy above me...

5. IceLight303

IceLight303 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This sounds like it should be said by a monk.

I agree though.

Emma626 likes this.
  6. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends. There are a lot of political issues where you may find that what you believe ideally is actually not even close to the truth when you insert human nature into the mix.

I suggest taking a step back and thinking about whether you've truly considered all the angles before declaring that you're on the right side. Because you might be giving bad advice. Will you compensate them if you end up saying, "sorry"?

That being said, yes. Because it's not always bad, it can be good too.

7. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Maybe not "deserve" I think. But rather, they are responsible for it? Especially if that something is not exactly inevitable and is instead a result of their own choices.

8. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Judging if someone "deserves" something is completely subjective. Nobody truly deserves anything, responsibility is an abstract concept.

9. pentadrian

pentadrian Wandering donut

Reading List:
    Link
    The answer is simple - do you think that whatever has happened to you is what you deserve? If the answer is no, then yes, people never get what YOU think they deserve. Karma is a lie, much like the cake

10. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    sometimes maybe. it's very situational.

*noms Skullie repeatedly*

Baldingere likes this.
  11. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    I think you hit a miss on this one coz usually I do think what happens to me is my fault whether or not it's true.

I logically know that responsible is a better term. Dunno why I used deserve haha

Shizukani likes this.
  12. Kaminomikan

Kaminomikan 神のみ感

Reading List:
    Link
    well... there are people that believe the earth is flat, so...

13. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't wanna be rude, but to me it sounds pathetic how you are getting mad all by yourself because somebody is making decisions without your input about things that, it seems, have nothing to do with you.

Bad Storm and IceLight303 like this.
  14. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ideally and ethically, they ought to face the seemingly inferential consequence of their action, but that would only work if life wouldn't intervene nor subjectivity obfuscate the definition of rational, in the process.

15. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends. A lot of things happen to people who don’t “deserve” it happening: like, the person who obeys the traffic laws and gets killed by a drunk driver, the non-smoker who gets lung cancer, or the person who studied hard but failed the test because they answered the bubble sheet one off. Those are just a few examples. Life isn’t fair.

If you’re talking about things that happen as consequences for decisions people have made, I still think it depends. Are you talking about the person who won’t leave their SO who abuses them despite your warnings? No, the f— they deserves the abuse. Leaving abusers is messy and complicated and difficult. A lot of times, the victims who try to leave end up being killed or convinced the abuser has “changed” or are financially unable to leave at all. Are you talking about the person who decided to cheat on their SO and now their life is crumbling around them? Yup, totally deserved.

There are consequences for decisions that people just won’t understand until they try out for themselves. I, for one, have trouble learning without making my own mistakes, sometimes even over and over again. You could tell me that X decision will cause Y reaction until you’re blue in the face, but I need to understand it for myself to get it. Do I deserve what I get? It still depends. What was I hoping to accomplish vs. how likely was it to end in disaster? Fourteen years ago, I was having gall bladder problems. I had a surgery to remove the gall stones from my bile duct which went well, but I needed my gall bladder removed. My dad urgently wanted me to wait until the summer to get the surgery. I stubbornly insisted on having it as soon as possible. Guess what? I was a whole lot freaking sicker than the doctor had guessed. If I had waited, who knows how much worse my health would have gotten? Did I “deserve” to be in pain? Did I “deserve” the gall stones? Then, just this past year, the gall stones came back, despite my having no gall bladder. They were causing me constant pain. I had the surgery to remove them again, which triggered acute pancreatitis and landed me in the hospital for two months and sick for another month after that. Did I deserve that? It was my choice to have the surgery. Did I deserve it because I had the surgery at the hospital that was recommended to me, rather than seeking out the best doctor in the state? Did I deserve it because maaaybe, although no one really knows for sure, the gall stones were possibly caused by my bad diet? Did I? I think the obvious answer is NO, I DID NOT FREAKING DESERVE WHAT HAPPENED TO ME.

16. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    yes~
    cuz this cat say it so according to this cat logic this cat is true~

meh deserve is always subjective~

TamaSaga likes this.
  17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the same as Shizukani~

It's not that they deserve whatever comes to them... It's just that they're responsible for it.

I don't think anybody deserves having something bad happen to them... But if they mess up enough times, then something bad will most likely happen, and it will be their fault at that point.

Granted, sometimes it is not really your fault and things still end up badly, like in the examples shared by Anra, but I think that's not what you were talking about here~

Shizukani and TamaSaga like this.
  18. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    Live with the creed 'Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.' So, whatever happened, it's their own responsibility.

19. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    People choose to accept help or not, the same way you choose to give it or not.
    They don't deserve to deal with it alone because they refused your help till now, but you should choose if you want to help if they asked you now, or if you're better off leaving them to their own or others' devices.

Bad Storm and Anra7777 like this.
  20. Bad Storm

Reading List:
    Link
    One of my flaws that I'm trying to change. I also did make this in the heat of the moment and as of right now, I don't really feel like putting more thoughts into their decision and what happens to them is none of my business in the first place. It is what it is and what happens, happens.

Baldingere likes this.