where did the money come from????

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by A novel a day, Aug 1, 2022.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A novel a day

A novel a day Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    it was a mistake, and I don't know how to delete threads

Last edited: Aug 2, 2022
    Secluded Meditation likes this.
  2. Harry

Harry Now you see me

Reading List:
    Link
    Wait! If there are many bachelors and they only kidnap girls to marry, could it be every newborn daughter was sent to the afterlife...... Or maybe the rate (ratio) of newborn son and daughter is 20:1

This is what you call the magical village

Last edited: Aug 1, 2022
    A novel a day likes this.
  3. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From the author's ass, pardon my French. :blobwoah:

Rika77 and A novel a day like this.
  4. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    i think it's an over-exaggerated representation of the growing gender imbalance in china (which is currently 1,016 males per 1,000 females) as well as city perceptions of rural areas (similar to the cliche stereotype of backwoods american southern rednecks who marry their cousins). there's probably a kernel of truth as the basis for it as well.

5. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That kind of story is probably from the 18 or early 19...

Technically speaking, the money is the saving from the man's parents. Having son in China means you gotta pay money to the bride family, so lots of parents will save up money for years so their son could get married.

The price of trafficked human is not that high, but pretty good for something you just picked up on the streetblob_crime, so I could imagine it's cheaper than a wedding + dowry.

6. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    "if he dares say he wants to leave, he will beat him, and he will not be given water." A bl then:hmm:? I see only 'he' here...."but this man had bought a wife before, and he bought another after he died of illness." I'm convinced it's a bl:blobawkward:! Or.... maybe not...... Bro the f---- you been reading?:blobsleepless:

7. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank God it's translator is Google. If it was not MTL I'd have seriously questioned the TL's sanity....:blobpeek:

8. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Don't underestimate peoples' ability to save money for things they need. 50k RMB is around $7500, not that much to put away if you're scraping pennies even if you're living hand-to-mouth. It's definitely a sizable chunk of change but not so much it's unreasonable for the setting, this is like someone working two minimum wage jobs saving up for a junk car in the US.

Hard to do? Yes. Worthwhile? In the US, you need a car to get around, it's very hard to live without one. In backwater China, getting married and having kids is a major event in one's life, in a highly patriarchal society without a lot of opportunities to get out, this seems to be the only tangible goal parents have for their sons.

These situations are based off real life, not too long ago the chained woman was in a lot of news articles.

As for where these women come from, they don't just come from within China, there is a problem with trafficking women from surrounding countries that weren't dumb enough to implement something as shortsighted as the One Child Policy. But they also come from within China. There's hardly any enforcement of laws on traffickers, it wasn't even properly illegal until 1997 and the sentence is only three years, practically nothing given they're ruining people's lives doing this.

9. A novel a day

Reading List:
    Link
    After reading about the actual case, I realized how insensitive I was to be talking in this way, maybe in my brain it was only fiction that's why I was so casual but now I am really sorry.

ragingphoenix likes this.
  10. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's okay, I'm glad you could change your view. Some of the replies here contain some bad information.

This type of situation is more likely to happen in impoverished rural areas which already subscribe to killing or abandoning female infants.

There have been a lot of news articles and books on the subject. If you're interested, you can check out the book One Child by Mei Fong.

11. A novel a day

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, I guess so. thankyou for sharing your thoughts. I think I'll try it.

ragingphoenix likes this.
  12. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What?

13. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please do not edit out the content of an opening post; you cannot delete threads because they belong, essentially, to everyone who posts in them - you'd be deleting everyone else's posts along with your own. A thread is a commitment.

AliceShiki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.