Discussion reading a BG after a BL

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by AnneGriffin, Aug 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. AnneGriffin

AnneGriffin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So i would like to know whether you feel a strangeness after u transition from bl to bg or vice versa.
    Like u know how people imagine or have a vague image of how the character they are reading sounds or looks like. And when u transition between two bottom mcs like from bl to bg , there are some similarities in their characterisation . So you end up imagining your female mc with a male voice or vice versa ,lmao.

Devil Heart and Kirikaize like this.
  2. reireina91

reireina91 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's happen when i read from BG to BL.. i imagine a maskulin girl instead a male. Then after so much BL novel when i already familiar to male MC. I can't read BG... I feel female MC is too weak and fragile..

3. Devil Heart

Devil Heart Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Lolol I cannot read BG anymore after reading BL... It is just too weird aaaaaaaaaaa except that I'm reading a reverse harem because there are a lot of boys instead of girl so I can just simping over the boys being together instead
    If it's 1 to 1 BG, I find myself disliking the FL characters for no reason
    I'm partially okay with manga, manhwa, manhua BG, but reading BG novels is a huge no no to me lolz

reireina91 and AnneGriffin like this.
  4. msbwhy

msbwhy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i never feel any strangeness... i guess im kinda flexible??? lmaoo

novem and AnneGriffin like this.
  5. AnneGriffin

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, after a long bout of Bl , we start shipping the wrong characters, that happens to me even when i watch tv

Vansiee likes this.
  6. AnneGriffin

Reading List:
    Link
    Well said. It was because of the first reason that i got into bl.

7. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I switched between bl, bg, no cp. It doesn't matter, I can eat them as long as the plot is good. I can barely distinguish between shou and girl anyways, most author write them with the same description like waist slender as willow, skin smooth like jade, charming eyebrows, etc etc.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    novem, Lunaix and AnneGriffin like this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, not really, I read each novel as its own thing.

If a novel has a male MC, then it's a male MC. If it has a female MC, then it's a female MC. That's all there is to it.

If anything, after reading enough GL, I end up shipping female characters that have a good synergy between them, but that's about as far as it goes.

AnneGriffin likes this.
  9. Lunaix

Lunaix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nah, I can read them all just fine? It doesn't really intermingle much.

AnneGriffin likes this.
  10. xiao Yi

xiao Yi I told you to forget me but you stayed by my side.

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I was a BG reader wayback. But when I went down the danmei hole, I find it hard to read BG or straight male protags again. I can't explain why but I find it a bit awkward ≧∇≦ but I sometimes reread BG novels like Hidden Marriage or BanLiZi and MoBaoFeiBao's novel.

AnneGriffin and reireina91 like this.
  11. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    I read both as if it's own thing~ it really doesn't intermix for me.

12. eeeee

eeeee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have any problem transitioning between BL/BG romance novels. They both have their charm!
    But I do have a bit of a pet peeve regarding this. It's when the author plots out a girl who isekai into a boy's love romance novel, and 'magically' the lead male falls in love with the girl just because she is 'honest' or 'pretty.'

I'm sure there are people that are bi. But it feels like the author is using the novelty of BL to hook readers and make money without really understanding or incorporating any BL aspects. Like the fact that the male lead use to be gay doesn't really matter in anyway to the plot that is building up.

I did see a few very original ideas tho, (I didn't finish it sorry). There is a girl who isekai into an angst BL story, and she is the uke's older sister. The original story the uke kills himself or it's a very sad ending. The girl is stuck in a time loop until she can help find her younger brother's happiness.

Another one is when a girl isekai into a villain baby (I think?), she wants to escape her abusive family, so she asks the kingdom's gay couple to adopt her. This one was kind of funny, but fell through a bit because it would have been interesting to see more aspects of a gay couple with a new child, but that element was skipped over completely. Too bad.

Vansiee and AnneGriffin like this.
  13. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope.
    For me, bg, bl, gl are the same.

14. Coffee Turtle

Coffee Turtle Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ngl I feel surprised that people has such issues since I don't even dub the characters in my head, everyone's just in my voice but different tones. In terms of shipping, I ship anyone who has a good dynamic with each other no matter the gender.

15. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say I've ever had that issue. But most of the BL I've read is fanfiction and my image of the characters was shaped more by prior knowledge of them than their characterizations in any particular fiction.

16. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    I get a different feel from reading BG , Bl and Gl

Just reading Bg because it's the most available ?

I think this has to do with rl preferences : Most Gl's give me this fluttering feeling . I might salivate a bit at Mls from Bls but it's just different with Gl

And I never understood why I liked Bl ( more or less ) exposure from a young age and became a habit I guess. I could be reading some *ahem* Bl stuff and just be static uhu uhu

17. amilhs

amilhs Moon Walker

Reading List:
    Link
    I read some bl i just imagined that the like girly one is a girl...but nah I still.prefer bxg even if it reverse harem...at least it's bxg~
    :blobhero::blobhero::blobhero: