Discussion Remembering what you read

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ReaderReader, Aug 2, 2022.

1. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    I .. do not remember the names of ... 80% of the novel characters.

But I can also remember almost all the main & supporting characters from Overlord , Tensura & MDZS

Partially it's because for BL's I like to read QT so the names change every ark with the " Real Name " also appearing here and there. For other bigger ones of ( KR action ) I would recognize the names and more or less know who they are ... but mostly I just remember MC , ML , FL and stick acronyms to the character

The plot is always somewhat forgotten until someone brings it up or the title & summary pops up again , than would most likely remember most things

The worst thing is to mix multiple novels together ... especially if your trying to find it back

Lunaix, xiao Yi and Night Phoenix like this.
  2. Night Phoenix

Night Phoenix The *Eccentric* Person

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm pretty ok with that. If I haven't read a novel in a year or so because waiting for translation, I usually remember everything in a chapter or 2.

Aqua_the_idiot and Euge like this.
  3. Professor Baka De DeluPerv

Professor Baka De DeluPerv Consumer of Plastic Toys

Reading List:
    Link
    If I like the novel I can remember the characters even if they haven't appeared for hundreds of chapters, or I haven't touched the novel for years. If I don't, I forget them as soon as I close the novel~

I can also read dozens of novels at the same time without confusing them together ~(´∀`~)

4. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    This^
    Why waste brain power on names of characters from stories I'll barely remember in a month's time?

5. Eisvarith Devirea

Eisvarith Devirea [Mza {Valkyrie Awakens} Mya]

Reading List:
    Link
    i actually notices my lack of interest on novels these days so i create a notepad for characters name, countries, and background setting just in case, on every novels i like to read.

luoxinle likes this.
  6. ngard

ngard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    names tend to be difficult for me too, but I wouldn't consider that to be odd since I don't speak the language and the names are so foreign to me.
    I haven't read any of the novels you mentioned, but I have seen them being brought up here and there, and I assume they're the type of longer novels, which would obviously increase the chance of names being remembered; or the fact that they are so well known and often discussed, keeping them fresh in memory, could be a factor as well.
    sadly, forgetting such things is just how normie human memory works :blobcry:

7. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on how memorable/"unique" the plot and characters are. Or just how much I can relate to them. For example, I hated reading 'Mistborn', especially Sazed, I hate how his character and his arc affect the novel but whatever. However, I remember the first actual novel I read but the title and the multiple characters' names, and thanks to NUF I found the story again. But I am awful at remembering names, even IRL I just stand around until people acknowledge my existence.

8. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    While I'm reading a novel, I have a notepad with the names of characters and places that I need to keep track of along with their relationship or whatever is important about them. When I add them to my reading list, I put the summary in the notes section so I can refer to it without going to the novel page. If the summary isn't helpful, I'll write my own.

NU edit notes.png NU add notes.png NU view notes.png

ReaderReader likes this.
  9. xiao Yi

xiao Yi I told you to forget me but you stayed by my side.

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember the plot, not the title.
    I remember the sweetness of the cp, not the names.
    I remember some side characters, but not all the time.

10. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes, I even forget the main character names, not to mention the side character. :blobcatblush:

11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whilst I'm reading a book I find it quite easy to remember their names, the names of the different places, and other assorted specialized information. I'll only really forget some time after I finish a book or if I stop reading it for an extended period of time. But if I come back to a book, I find it's easy to pick up on all the names and story points again. I think the main reason I don't have this name recognition problem is that I don't have to read names in pinyin. See, pinyin only manages to capture the sound of a name (and not even the whole sound at that) so it strips out a lot of the meaning and feel that you'd get if you were reading in Chinese. If I were forced to look at names in just pinyin, I wouldn't be able to remember them either.

12. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason I write reviews for nu novel and blog for raw.

Damn. I dont know this.
    I might do this instead of writing review not review because I use it to make me remember what I've read.

luoxinle likes this.
  13. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I mean, reviews are also great because they help other people decide whether to read or not.

Also, those tags in the notes section are your personal tags. You can search/filter your reading list by your personal tags, so you can use them for things like "read next", "book group novel", "favorite author", "slow to update", "good reviews" etc.

I also keep a reading list of books I don't want to read, so I'll use tags to track why I decided not to read it, in case someone recommends it to me, then I can go back and see "oh, right, I didn't want to read that because it has a love triangle, but my friend said the love triangle is over really early on, and it's mostly a 1-1 romance...."

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  14. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't even remember the plot, not to mention remembering character's name that is often get mixed up during MTL. Honestly, I don't even remember the main character's name from novel that I read three hour ago, I just remember that he's a concubine (?) who got married with a tyrant (???), it's pretty cliche plot with basic emotional line and no memorable characters.

But the weird thing is, I do remember some random character from famous novel like Susie (yes, that dog from Lord of The Mysteries) or Mosaic (that Loli NPC from Earth is Online) even though I read them like, 2 years ago? Maybe they're too unique so they keep sticking on my brain.

15. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm more likely to recognize a name when I see it again than to remember a name if I'm asked for one. I probably remember names better if I've MTL'd it, since I'm not strictly MTL'ing, but hybrid MTL + reading in Chinese, so I like to see what characters they used for the name and what the name means.

ReaderReader likes this.
  16. whimsandfantasies

whimsandfantasies Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I tend to remember the plot but definitely not the names.
    Being a non-Chinese, Korean or Japanese, I rarely even read the entire name and throughout the entire duration, I read the novel, I identify the characters by either the surname or just the slight variation of the characters in the name.

17. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah I most of the time remember the general plot :blobpeek:but I can't remember character names tho....like if I finish a novel today I'll probably forget it's protagonists name after a month or two.... probably because I don't find them really interesting.

What dog are you talking about:blobpeek: I don't remember anyone's name except the protagonists

18. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same, if I ever book transmigrate I won't be able to identify the setting.

19. AnneGriffin

AnneGriffin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I forget the names like after a day or two, well since it's not my lang. It's understable. I remember the plot for a year or two. That's why i don't tend to reread . Hopefully i will forget my fav novels in 5 yrs ( not their names too hopefully) so that i can reread them.

20. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    Is forgetting everything a criteria for you to reread a novel ?

I usually reread it just cuz ... like 3-4 times a year ...