Discussion First Webnovel and how you found Novel Updates?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by SleepyTy, Aug 6, 2022.

1. SleepyTy

SleepyTy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started Webnovels probably 2-3 years ago(?)My first Webnovel was Mo Dao Zu Shi. I found it cus I had read some of the manga, and found out there was a novel. I downloaded some novel app and read it there, the translation wasn't finished and I ended up looking up the novel, where I found the novel updates page for it.

Before that I was reading manga instead, or watching anime. I enjoy novels so much more for some reason. I do still read manga occasionally, I haven't watched anime in awhile(but that's bcs I have bad Internet). I'm surprised I didn't get into Webnovels faster cus I loved reading books in school. I should re-read Mo Dao Zu Shi some time.

2. Archaic pickle

Archaic pickle Daoist Heavenly Kimichi

Reading List:
    Link
    Found webnovels in the comment section of beserk on mangafox, lead me to spcenet and read a step into the past. Was a lurker there for years until Ren started wuxiaworld, from there I found ahoupdates, and when they disappeared, found novelupdates on wuxiaworld

whitespade, SleepyTy and ScipioM like this.
  3. ScipioM

ScipioM :D

Reading List:
    Link
    It all started when I was like 12 and I was looking for free novels to read since I had already cleared out the small library in my town and I had no money to buy books. I don't really remember the specifics of how I got to spcnet, since it was 8 years ago, but it was probably from some manga comment section. From there I started with my first webnovel Coiling Dragon and through that found ahoupdates. Then ahoupdates died since the owner of it abandoned it, and from a novel that I was following at the time I found novelupdates.

SleepyTy likes this.
  4. Guess Who

Guess Who Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started roughly 6-7 years ago I guess. First novel was Duolou Dalu by Bluesilver trans. Found it because back then the manhua was updated daily and I liked the concept, commentors were raving about how the novel ws better so I went and looked it up. I remember still using browser bookmarks by then to save novels lol.

It wasn't till I read Shield Hero still ongoing and translated by Yoraikun that I found out about NU

Since then it was a spiral and got hooked to other novels and never left :blob_grin::blob_grin:

ScipioM and SleepyTy like this.
  5. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    I started by reading Tales of Demon and God manhwa I found when I'm bored, then I got hooked and want more, when I search for more, I found wuxiaworld and started reading there, week passed by quickly as I read till the latest chapter, feeling unsatisfied, I start to read all the novel that I took interest in wuxiaworld.

The best by far is I shall seal the heavens, it have deep impression on me. After reading for like about a month in wuxiaworld, I once again find myself unable to sate my newfound desire to read, henceforth I found novelupdates and here I am today.

ScipioM and SleepyTy like this.
  6. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Technically the first webnovel I ever read was "Bu Bu Jing Xin", but that was the published version so it probably doesn't count. At the time I didn't even know it was a webnovel. Realistically though my first proper webnovel was 回到明朝當王爺. It's an amazing book that reinvented the Chinese historical novel. And it's thanks to how much I loved this book that I read as many webnovels as I do now. I'm always trying to recapture that same magic, and I actually manage to do so from time to time!

SleepyTy and ScipioM like this.
  7. AnneGriffin

AnneGriffin Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I was recommended a webtoon by an online frd 2 yrs ago and i read it and loved it , and from there started my addiction of manhwas. Then when i ran out of things to read , i found out that the incomplete manhwa i was reading was an adaptation so i looked up the novel , read it and loved it. It was "i became the wife of the monstrous crown prince".From there started my journey of reading countless webnovels. And since i started reading tl work, it was a matter of course for me to find nu.

8. ShadowAscetic

ShadowAscetic Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My first (completed) webnovel was The King's Avatar, that was when Qidi*n first launched international novel app and got viral because of controversy. But my first time reading (not completed) webnovel was an abusive smut BL in livejournal if I recall, around 8 years ago? I was traumatized by that novel so I avoided danmei like a plague. It wasn't until I found Legendary Master's Wife in 2018 that I tried to read danmei again, then I found NU link from my BL group at that time and I jumped into danmei pit.

9. Blossom_Honey

Blossom_Honey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From what I remember, I think it was Bakarina? I used to read manga a lot (was literally my only hobby lol) and one of the things I would do when bored was go to the new chapter releases shown on the front page of the site and just clicking on stuff that interested me. That was how I found Bakarina and it had like only three? chapters released from what I remember. The whole "isekai into the villainess" was pretty new to me at the time (this was my 2nd one of the genre, first one being Common Sense of a Duke's Daughter manga) and I just kind of read it and it interested me. Some time passed and I kind of remembered it again, wanted to finish it, and somehow I found out there was a novel and from there I guess I kind of stumbled onto NovelUpdates, like I kept seeing it on the results so I clicked (idk this part is very vague and blurry to me). And then, I guess it just kind of went from there lol. Honestly, I was shocked that there was manga based on novels and now I barely read manga anymore, actually I barely read Japanese things unless they're really good, the KR and CN novels were more appealing to me, the JP ones now feel very weird to read, I guess we no longer vibe anymore lol.

10. SleepyTy

SleepyTy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember I watched the first season of King's Avatar anime and wanted to see if there was a manga, but there was an novel instead, and that novel happened to be on the novel app I read Mo Dao Zu Shi on, so I read some of that. I got to I think around chapter 100. I can't remember exactly.

11. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I looked up the novel for Psychic Detective Yakumo.

12. eeeee

eeeee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My first novel was moonlight sculptor. Then I found kumiko haha. Then I found a whole bunch of wuxia. Now I'm into krn BL/BG romance fantasy stories xD.

Deleted member 456425 likes this.
  13. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I can barely remember my first webnovels. But I still recall how I got to NUF. it started with anime and experiencing cliffhangers so I went to rean manga instead. Then, even that was slow when releasing so I looked for novel versions instead and landed myself in Baka-tsuki. Somehow, I discovered NU and only used it for reading list. Those small thread discussions on top of NU page is how I was lured to the forum.

14. xiao Yi

xiao Yi I told you to forget me but you stayed by my side.

Reading List:
    Link
    2017, I started with BG, Hidden Marriage. Then on 2018, I went down the danmei blackhole with my holy trinity> Love you 59 seconds, the Aphrodisiac-carrying man and Pregnant woman next door.
    Novelupdates, maybe 2020? Yeah, 2020. Because of MDZS ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

15. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I dont remember how did I find nu...
    Only remember, that time I tried to read online novel, but reading in webtoon or the like made my eyes tired.
    And then, saw so many arts for MDSZ, and others wn which were so pretty and made me curious of what kind of stories these characters have.
    Maybe after that, I somehow found nu. I only used nu to search for stories to read. Didnt bother to comment or go to forum.
    Things happened, and I went to forum.
    It happened in the span of 5-6months I think.

SleepyTy likes this.
  16. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh.:hmm: can't remember really. But it was probably when I was searching around for novels to read. At time I was as most of 8th grader into overpowered, evil and cold protagonist. So searching for a list of evil protagonist bought me here..... probably.

17. Leier

Leier Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to watch kdrama, until one day I came across cdrama Joy of Life. It was so good, I was so so very thirsty for more, hearing that it was based on a novel, I googled around and found the translation, it then led me to NU.
    I have been binging on Chinese novels since then, and have never touched kdrama anymore (except for Red Sleeves -- which interestingly is quite similar to Chinese palace intrique novel).

18. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it started on webtoon, I saw an ad for Unordinary on youtube, I read it and it took me a week to find Tower of God, I think it was late 2017, August? Then I found Solo leveling on another manga site and read that light novel. But my first light novel I read, ever was Emperor Has Returned, and thanks to this site I found it again. When I first read it thought, "Wow! This is a proper book without those stupid details!" I found that novel in December 2017 or early 2018.

19. CRY_

CRY_ Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Before novels, I was a huge manga reader, then I switched to American romance novels but since about 3~4ish years ago, I started reading Webnovels and stopped reading a lot of manga and almost completely stopped reading American romance novels.

I can't remember if Trial Marriage Husband: Need to Work Hard or Hidden Marriage was my first introduction to Webnovels cause I read them both around the same time but yeah, these two novels were my first glimpse into the dark hole I fell into.

I came across NU when I was looking for recommendations after finishing the aforementioned novels and have never looked back.

20. gingingin1605

gingingin1605 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i was watching animes, i saw a cn one called versatile mage or quanzhi fashi and i thought that i want to know whats ahead so i looked for the manga but because of scrolling i didnt have a nice experience so i looked for the novel and i found the novel on novelupdates website.
    when i read the reviews and everyone was rating as a one but i clearly felt that although it was not deep or masterpeice kind of stuff but it was entertaining so i felt that this websites users were the toxic kind(it was just a misconception). i ignored it for a while then i realized that it has more tags than other websites so i came to use this website again. i also made my id here and now i am also one of those 1 star review givers.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022