Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds good. A lot of the tags are usually edited in by users. Do you have any suggestions for alternative descriptions? If it's alright the staff would be able to change it. The current one does seem somewhat insufficient(also genre is misspelled). I would give it a try but I'm unfamiliar with the concept.

2. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not an expert on the topic either, but here goes. I'm open to suggestions!

A reversible or versatile couple switches positions during sex and isn't defined by the top and bottom trope of the BL/GL genres.

Reference: Not all works adhere to seme and uke tropes. The possibility of switching roles is often a source of playful teasing and sexual excitement for the characters, indicating an interest among many genre authors in exploring the performative nature of the roles. Riba (リバ), a shorthand for "reversible" (リバーシブル), is used to describe couples where the seme and uke roles are not strictly defined. Wikipedia

3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Something to note though, is that Seme and Uke is mostly a BL construct. GL doesn't usually have this more constraining structure on the relationship.

I'm not particularly against the change in the definition of the tag, but I'm also not sure if it's worth adding GL to it, when GL by default doesn't have a Seme/Uke structure.

4. Tsubaki -

Tsubaki - Unknown Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, GL doesn't differentiate seme/uke as excessively as BL does. How about removing the 2nd half of the definition? I think the tag is primarily used for the couple's position, not for indicating if they fit the seme/uke character trope in general.

5. Blitz

Reading List:
    Link
    A reversible or versatile couple that switches positions during intercourse and isn't defined by the stereotypical top and bottom tropes present within the genre.

Note: In general, GL novels do not follow the dynamics of a top/bottom structure, so adding this tag is redundant unless there exists a special significance to the story

LaDyViL likes this.
  6. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk if this is the right thread, but why is the Hated Protagonist caption 'a male main character who is..'
    Does that imply that female protagonists can't be hated? lolol

7. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Good catch. No clue why it has "male main character" in its description.

I think @runsing should fix that~

8. Nadelyn

Nadelyn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Idk where to post this, but I'm guessing this could be the place?
    I've been meaning to suggest a tag that defines in a better way the context(?) when rape occurs in a story.
    Here's the thing there are many stories that are tagged with rape, but who is involved is different.
    What i mean is that many of these novels, the main couple of the story was not part of it. It could've been a 2ndary chatacter, an extra, or even a small part of the story that just gives context of the situation in an area.

I think most would agree that there's an important difference when the MC is the perpetrator or the victim (or both), than someone else in the story; since we are reading a story that's mainly about them, we are invested in them.

So for example, the novel The Rebirth of the Malicious Empress of Military Lineage, has an important to the plot scene of rape; but the MC and ML were not part of it.

While The Reader and Protagonist Definitely Have to Be in True Love also has a rape tag, and the main couple was involved.
    (So i went to check on the exact title for this novel and I see that someone erased the tag, well idk what's going on there. Back when I was reading this novel and I reached that chapter I didn't see the rape tag, and felt kinda disgusted, but the tag was there back then)

So as you can see, there is a difference in feeling when this situation applies or not to the main characters.

So is there anyway to implement a tag that kinda specifies whether or not "rape" applies to main couple?

I'm sorry if this was a long post or if I'm not making much sense >.<

9. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    It makes sense, but technically the rape tag is already limited to the main cast of characters isn’t it? It may not be limited to the protagonist, but not every story with a rape scene is qualified for the rape tag. What you should be asking for is a rape tag for the minor characters since that’s the one missing right? Unfortunately, I think it’s not going to happen for the same reason some other variations of the rape tag were rejected, although I don’t recall it off the top of my head right now.

Man, I haven’t said rape so many times in a single paragraph before. My bad!! :blob_blush:

————————
    Tag suggestion:
    The adapted to / from tags are a bit messy and ambiguous. Wouldn’t it be best to combine these down into simply ‘Manga Adaption, Comic Adaption, Drama Adaption, etc?’ If not, we need to make sure each version has an equivalent to/from version. I’ve had a few times where I had found an adaption and there wasn’t a corresponding tag.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2022
    Nadelyn likes this.
  10. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    The rape tag, in essence, was meant to prevent people from getting triggered. The story element aspect of it was probably a secondary thing. As such, if rape was prominent in a series even once, with the definition of prominent being left to interpretation, the rape tag makes sense to be added.

Your suggestion is valid from a story pov. But as rape tag was more of a trigger warning thing, maybe the details probably don't matter for the target audience.

Nadelyn and Nom de Plume like this.
  11. LaDyViL

LaDyViL New Member Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can you describe more about the messy and ambiguous parts? The tags are made as needed and the to/from/on are also added to show the source and production. If there's no novel (translated) that fits the adaptations then there's no need for those tags since it'll just be a empty(0) tag.
    IMG_20220702_123734.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-02-12-37-59-96_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

On the case where you find an adaptation that doesn't have a tag, you could use the existing tags or if they don't exist yet, request them through the options that appear when you click Edit.

This is the link for a one page list of tags that NU have so you can Ctrl+F them of you need them.

Nom de Plume likes this.
  12. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahhhh. I think the ones I saw (1-2 series) were some of the rare adapted from anime or adapted from visual novel or adapted from game ones. I don’t recall the series anymore, so I’ll use the request option in the future.

Blitz and LaDyViL like this.
  13. bozakir

bozakir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd like to suggest adding a tag "Villain Protagonist" because I don't think "Anti-Hero Protagonist" covers some of the novels here. The thing is I am stumped for a succinct description to put in definition. For reference (https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VillainProtagonist)

To clarify for for unfamiliar people AH protag despite lacking (some or most) traditional heroic qualities like honour, selflessness, altruism they are still on the side of "good". To give an example most korean dungeon regressors are arseholes but they still want to save the world and protect people.

Villain Protags on the other hand, well they are villains. Their actions are self serving first. They don't aim for "good" results. Good coming out out of their actions are usually unintentional, coincidental or an afterthought. Dexter is a Villain Protagonist sure he clears up serial killers but he removes them to sate his bloodlust. Tanya (from Youjo Senki) is another example of VP.

FelicitaScarlet likes this.
  14. FelicitaScarlet

FelicitaScarlet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... I think that would be great as even the manga sites have started to categorize them into different genres such as Villainess, etc. And it will be helpful to those who especially want to read Villain's reversal novels or basically anything centered around the Villain in a protagonist role.

15. Blitz

Reading List:
    Link
    We already have
    https://www.novelupdates.com/stag/evil-protagonist/

16. patient

patient Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's a Villainess Noble Girl tag, though a Villainess Noble Boy could also be useful, as there's no such tag for males

17. bozakir

bozakir Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
  18. AliceShiki

Reading List:
    Link
    Tags on NU are added according to how needed they are... As in, would adding this tag be useful at all?

VIllainess Noble Girls was added because it's a very popular trope that appears a lot... Are there novels with a Villain Noble Boy out there? Share links of novels where this happens and the staff may consider adding it.

19. patient

patient Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I've come across such novels in the past. Basically a guy transmigrates into a villain role in a novel or a game, just like a Villainess Noble Girl trope but with a male. I guess I will keep an eye out for these.

Nom de Plume and FelicitaScarlet like this.
  20. Cyltea

Cyltea New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm wondering if there's a tag for sentinel/guide or something similar to it?

Seems like many CN novels (mostly BL) use that trope nowadays and I've seen people asking for sentinel/guide recommendation a few times. Here's a reading list I found featuring it: https://www.novelupdates.com/viewlist/28990/

There's also a similar trope in KR novel with slightly different name: Esper/guide. I only saw 2 so far translated on NU with very few chapters by quick skimming, but it's pretty popular tag and has its own tag on Ridibooks.

I've seen mangaupdates combines these two as Guideverse: https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?category=Guideverse (There's no definition though)

So is it possible to make a Guideverse tag?