Discussion where did this trope begin?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by MR.Klein, Aug 10, 2022.

1. MR.Klein

MR.Klein Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The one where a commoner falls in love with a beautiful girl, trains hard for her becomes a great warrior but she ends up marrying the king and he becomes her guard or her childs bodyguard. I want the earliest example of this trope thank you

2. Toastbrot

Toastbrot Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    never even heard of that trope, in what kind of genre is it?
    or do you mean with non-mc characters, with the protector being a supporting character?

3. Aisha Ann

Aisha Ann I LOVE SELFISH VILLAINESS

Reading List:
    Link
    There is lot of trope like this in female MC novel. MC is one who is being betray by scum man. MC helping and support man to become emperor and
    minister, noble. He betray her by marry other women. some novel have MC forgive him and end up with him. There is lot of dog blood, MC being humiliated and miscarriage, by him. some novel,
    have MC revenge on him and find powerful man.

I don’t think any male reader would like this kind of novel if it happened to male MC. Female reader love female MC being abused and humiliated.

4. Llamadragon

Llamadragon Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What tf? No, the female audience likes the happy ending once she gets over the abuse. And anyway being betrayed by the love interest is pretty damn staple in male mc isekais.

5. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    First time hearing of this trope. Usually, after training hard, they become a hero and marry the girl.

whitespade and MR.Klein like this.
  6. MR.Klein

MR.Klein Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yes.

It happens to the supporting character. The most recent one where I saw this was in the game of the monarch. It also happened in Otherworldly evil monarch.

7. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    find it on TV Tropes, (the link is to the 'Love Tropes'). I'm sure you will find it. This site focus on Western tropes which I think you are describing as western in nature. It doesn't seem Eastern since eastern writings wouldn't focus on this way of becoming a noble since there would be a lot of ways to become a 'noble,' although there were multiple kingdoms and dynasties so... it's messy.

The closes one I can think of is the Han Dynasty, one of the multiple Chinese Dynasties. These people would rank up in nobility by turning in the head of their opponents. It was an even playing field, all the nobility from before were stripped of their benefits and had to rank up again. But I am no historian, take my words with a grain of salt.

8. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sounds like Guinevere and Lancelot. So, old.

whitespade likes this.
  9. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    While not quite the same thing, the story of Fan Li and Xi Shi share a lot of similarities, and this story dates back more than 2000 years. It's popular enough that it could well be the origin for this particular storyline. I would also say that the idea doesn't seem super unique so it may have multiple origins. I don't know if I've ever seen it play out exactly as the OP constructed it, but I've come across lots of similar plots.

10. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Lancelot and Guinevere (King Arthur's wife)

Nah imma have to agree with him. Books like that with trash asshole MLs are popular rn on book side of Tiktok (mainly with female readers). I don't have tiktok but I see a twitter post complaining about how Twisted Lies was so popular even though the ML there was literal trash to MC yet MC still fell for him

11. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ya this "trope", or the parts of it, is kind of as old as class based society and arranged marriages, as a form of forbidden love.

Though IIRC Lancelot was not a commoner, but also of noble birth.

otaku31 likes this.
  12. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If you like these kind of simps, you can read Dante's Divine Comedy. He basically simped this girl so hard he created hells and heavens just to show off how angelic she was.

There's a manga version which I read.

13. amilhs

amilhs Moon Walker

Reading List:
    Link
    Fairy tales stories?disney??
    XD
    :blobpeek::blobpeek::hmm::hmm::notlikeblob:

MR.Klein likes this.