Discussion On Immortality

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Erysion, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Erysion

Erysion Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Immortality is the indefinite continuation of a person’s existence, even after death.

According to this definition, immortality refers to the ability to continue to exist as a person indefinitely.

Many times people confuse immortality with living forever, this is not always the case. Death is merely the end of one's physical body. It does not mean a person's soul ceases to exist. Instead it continues to exist without a physical body.

If a person is to achieve immortality, they must learn to control their own death. This does not necessarily mean the living of life after death, because, even after death, a person could still be a conscious entity.

It is the same as a person losing their home, possessions and all their other belongings; but the person remains. This is the same for a person's soul, if they are to achieve immortality, they must create a new physical body to replace the old physical body that has died.

Therefore, in order to truly be immortal one must not only have a spirit or consciousness, but be able to have a body. In addition to a body the ability to sustain a consciousness as well.

One needs to be able to replicate their consciousness to create a new body and also sustain it, so that one does not lose their consciousness and memories.

Immortality could be attained through two different methods: by being born as an immortal, or by gaining immortality after death.

In biology, immortality is achieved through cloning or by the ability to regenerate organs or tissues. In mythology, immortality is usually achieved by being born from the gods, or by being granted immortality.

Immortality is an ancient concept, perhaps as old as humanity itself. The concept of immortal beings is deeply rooted in ancient history. Human beings tend to attribute immortality to deities, kings, heroes, etc.

In some cases it is possible for a person to acquire immortality through a process known as transmigration of the soul, this means that when the body died the person was reborn and assumed a new physical form to continue his or her life in the same society or environment.

How would you acquire immortality? Which form of immortality will you choose?

2. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, I don't want immortality. Life is tiring as it is. Enjoying one's self in the limited time of our existence is what I want. A short burst of fireworks in what seems like an endless night.

3. Deleted member 343155

Deleted member 343155 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    From the title I thought this thread is about Chinese series Immortality:facepalm:

Erysion and Eat_Angst like this.
  4. xiao Yi

xiao Yi I told you to forget me but you stayed by my side.

Reading List:
    Link
    +2 ^.^

My mind is too shallow to think about immortality~
    I just want to live in the moment ♡

Erysion, daisukenowaifu and Eat_Angst like this.
  5. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Humans - scared of death since 4,000,000 BC.

6. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    Opting out of immortality.
    After a while, everything gets boring. And then anything you do feels like a waste. Even meaningful things, if done ad vitam aeternam, would lose their meaning to me.
    I could dedicate my life to being a teacher in poor areas or whatever great cause and feel satisfied when I die. However, if it didn't have an end, then eventually all my students would blur into anonymity. Then instead of feeling accomplished for each of them I helped and who is doing well, I'd despair over the neverending stream of new students in need of support. I would lose sight of the details and because fundamentally nothing has changed, it would be like nothing ever changes, all of it is meaningless.
    I don't have the kind of steel mentality needed to endure an endless cycle of life. I need a clear beginning and a clear end that will allow me to see my successes.

Erysion, daisukenowaifu and Eat_Angst like this.
  7. Eat_Angst

Eat_Angst |System T219| [The Bear Monarch]

Reading List:
    Link
    Kind of selfish, but if i get to travel into xianxia wuxia, of course i want to be immortal
    maybe transmigration but not body possession, i dont want to steal anyones life

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
    Erysion likes this.
  8. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    Eh. If I had to choose it would be immortality with an option of dying whenever I want to. I think if I were to have infinite lifespan, after living long enough (maybe a century or two) everything would become boring and dull
    . Love , hatred, loss, happiness I would already have experienced those things countless times, so many times that I would probably become....numb to everything. Bored at everything. :blobexpressionless: yeah so immortality with an option of quick death so that the so called 'immortality' doesn't become a prison for me..... :blobrofl: I feel pity whenever I think of Chinese xianxis protagonist being a coward fearful of death searching to live forever when they probably don't know what it feels like. Meh delusion I say. Delusion. Not that I know how it feels to live forever lol. Btw your thread is pretty cringy *nooffenseintended*

Baldingere and Erysion like this.
  9. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    eh~
    isn't it depend on culture and stuff?
    basically typical debate soul and physical body so meh~
    this cat can put one type of nightmare immortal tho~
    endless reincarnation with retain memory~

Erysion likes this.
  10. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link
    this needs a tldr

my form tho would be forever young, beautiful and healthy,
    disagree . if someone got their immortality in the 1700s , im sure the modern world has enough entertainment, value and novelty for them to keep going.
    i think its mentality for anything.

Mr gentleman and Erysion like this.
  11. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't i just upload my consciousness in the metaverse and technically live forever?

Erysion and Baldingere like this.
  12. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    Well :blobrofl: none of us has lived for even 80/90 years so we can't say with certainty what kind of mindset a person would have after living for hundreds of years. Whatever we say will be mere speculation which will vary depending on our own thoughts/personality. So it's pointless to argue about stuff like this for there's no way to verify what we think. Anyway I guess if a person does live for hundreds of years their reaction would vary depending on their own personality. Some would feel tired or others would feel as energetic as a 12 years old kid.:blobpeek: But that's also just some speculation not a certain thing.:blob_grin: It is an argument without any certain conclusion I suppose.

Erysion, Baldingere and otaku31 like this.