How does this synopsis sound to you??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gandire Alea, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Gandire Alea

Gandire Alea [Wicked Awesome Translator]

Reading List:
    Link
    An Angel's Thesis​

Emperor Gaius, seated on an elevated throne in the center of the room, frowns. Electricity sparks from his golden eyes and his broad shoulders tremble. Thrusting the scepter in his left at Aiden, he says, “You refuse to kneel?”

“We were promised an explanation.”

Gaius hits the ground with his scepter. His curly brown hair and bushy white beard jump from the force of the impact. With a low tone, he says, “You are still new to this land. Very well, I am a generous god. I shall overlook this disrespect once.”

Aiden holds his tongue. He very much wants to thank the tyrant for his mercy, especially after having them summoned at his own convenience, but doesn’t want to start a commotion.

“Apostles, we are in need of you. This world was once a nightmare, tainted by the Dreaded One, a horror from the stars. At present, we live in a brave new world, one of progress birthed by the fruits of harmony and cooperation, but we are haunted by that bane’s touch. We offer you glory and honor. Liberate us from our nightmare, bring us to our dawn, and your names shall ring across the ages for all–”

“Don’t care. That’s got nothing to do with us.”

So, I wrote this for a book I am working on. I realize this is a bit different from the average synopsis, but this is what I am going with. What do you think?? Does it catch your interest??

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  2. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    It feels like a prologue but It's fine to me.

3. TamaSaga

TamaSaga Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I wouldn't actually call that a synopsis. A trailer, maybe. Or like Avgust said, a prologue.

4. Mr gentleman

Mr gentleman Ok

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh whenever I read a synopsis I do it to learn about what the novel is about I.e. general plot of novel. Will it be interesting? Funny? Serious? But I'm going to be honest, your synopsis doesn't feel like a synopsis instead it feels like a dialogue cut from within a novel. It doesn't say what to expect or what the novel is about, we can't even guess as to who the protagonist is or is there even one. So :blobsweat_2: it's not really suited to be a synopsis.....is what I think. But hey! It's your novel :blobhero: write it however you feel like! :blobpeek: I'm just a casual reader(random person) sharing what I think.

5. Baldingere

Baldingere Roseau pensant

Reading List:
    Link
    One of my favorite books has a synopsis that's just an excerpt from the story, and I almost didn't read it because it sounded weird. They choose the wrong part to extract.
    But this makes me very curious to read your story. It does sound like a prologue, like one of these that give you a lot of question, and then chapter one starts ten years before or with totally different characters and frustration makes you read the whole book in one breath to find out what that was about
    What's the title?

6. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    An Angel's Thesis~

Last edited: Aug 12, 2022
  7. Irisia

Irisia Moon bunny at your service

Reading List:
    Link
    if you are going to use it, change the tense. It feels very uncomfortable to read otherwise. It only fits from 1st persons pov.

hopefully not angle's XD. reminds me of teeth.

8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    trailer
    too short for prologue unless you wanna it on WN format then go ahead

does catch interest?
    nope~ maybe this cat not the target audience~ kinda bored with fantasy stuff these day, this cat assume it fantasy~

9. Gandire Alea

Reading List:
    Link
    and I'm gonna edit that~
    thanks
    I was thinking really hard to about which would be the right one to use too >.>

One Perfect Veteran likes this.
  10. Stripedhatbecomesgay

Stripedhatbecomesgay Guess who’s a super good spammer? It’s me!

Reading List:
    Link
    Seems pretty cool, might give it a try
    What's it about

One Perfect Veteran likes this.
  11. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    As a reader, I'll tell you what I want to see in a synopsis to decide whether to read the novel or not. Since it's a personal preference, you can disregard it and stick to what you prefer.

I want to know who the main character is, their goal or current circumstances, the setting of the world, and the premise. You can give it to me in a sentence. You can also write a longer synopsis, as long as I get an understanding of what the novel's gonna be about. Like is it a modern setting, a fantasy, an isekai, what? Am I dealing with a hero, antihero, mob protagonist, the One? What's he gonna do there - save everyone, get revenge, become king? What am I getting into and is it my type of story in the first place, that's the info I need.

Blurbs kinda work on me if it's a romance novel, as long as the author actually picked a part that I'd find interesting at the moment. Quite risky. And I avoid abstract synopses altogether. I assume the novel's gonna be a drama/tragedy with synopses like those.

You don't have to be very creative to write the synopsis really. It doesn't have to reflect your writing skills. Usually, it's editors who do that job for published books anyway. People need to click on the first chapter first, then your writing skills will reel them in.

Here, an example of a straightforward synopsis:

"Some people begin their lives with the odds in their favor but still end up failing miserably.
    Lin Jingzhe, having suffered many losses and setbacks, returned to his eighteen-year-old self just before failing his college entrance exam.
    Business opportunities were everywhere in the early 1990s when the Chinese economy started taking off.
    Now, this golden age would be his."

Tells me everything I need. 90s Earth setting, business oriented, second chance, poor to rich, MC's name and goal. It's my type of premise. Since it's also BL, I'm right there already reading the first chapter.

12. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    A synopsis works like a premise not a prologue.