Resolved How to translate 乖

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by Mafialeader, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Mafialeader

Mafialeader Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The phrase is: 慕柒却拒绝她道:“我来,乖,你去散散步。”

I looked it up, and 乖 is supposed to mean 'obedient', 'clever', etc. And I originally decided on using '(be) obedient' but the paragraph following that shows that the characters were, I guess, embarrassed over the character (Mu Qi) saying 乖. Just not sure if I'm using this correctly because I had no idea why they would be embarrassed hearing 乖. Though MTLs also translated it as 'darling', so would that also be an appropriate translation?

Thanks in advance!

2. Nyehhh

Nyehhh Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "I'll do it, be good, go take a walk."

Edit: I guess it kinda needs context, whether the person is being asked to listen to her or if she took the initiative and now she's being praised as being obedient

KiwiCat, Mafialeader and nyamachi like this.
  3. preexistence

preexistence Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The character would be embarrassed because 乖 is something you say to a child, so they either feel like they are being treated/spoiled like child, the embarrassment stems either from the pride of an adult (or a child who thinks they are mature) or maybe they just feel awkward being pampered.
    Translating as
    is good, and yes the context is important in determining tense and meaning as well.
    Edit: oh it's resolved lmao nvm

Mafialeader likes this.
  4. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    乖 basically means "behave" as a request. Its a cutesy term so it's a term of affection whenever it's applied to adults. Think of it as the verbal equivalent of a head pat. I suspect the embarrassment comes from how it suggests level of closeness in the relationship that hasn't been established yet.

Mafialeader likes this.