Discussion Tips for improving memory

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Shizukani, Aug 10, 2022.

?

How good is your memory?

1. Eidetic

2. Photographic

3. Human

4. Elephant

5. Dog

6. Duck

7. Chicken

8. Goldfish

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Do you have any? I feel like my memory has been failing me a lot lately. That and my attention span is being a problem.

You see I've stayed a little too long at the company I'm working in and due to the recent increase in responsibilities, I'm kinda getting overwhelmed. And one of those new responsibilities really challenges my memory capabilities(?) :bloborz: (and my attention span. omg meetings! Meetings everywhere!) I'm been putting in some extra extra effort just to keep up, but I don't think it'll be sustainable in the future. For now I've taken the chinese proverb, "The faintest ink is better than the strongest memory", to heart....but yeah, there's still some problems with that.

Do you have some tips for memory loss and attention deficiency(?) that worked for you? :blobneet: I've been looking around in other platforms too, but I maybe I can get the advice that I need here! Thank you in advance. :blobsip:

2. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    There's this thing caller memory palace where you physically put things you want to memorize in specific locations.
    Another thing is associating a strong or specific scents, for exampe in event. The more of your senses associated, the more it will last?

And one last thing. Use technology. You don't need to have unnecessary information memorize, just note them where it's easy to see and try to keep it organized to make it easier to browse/find things.

3. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    After 50+ years, I have to admit that I have ADHD. When I was younger, I had problems, but I powered through it. I thought it was a normal thing for kids and I was just a bit stupider than average. I did well when I started my main job and took a lot of notes. My "big book of notes" is still floating around in use by the people who came after me. But around 15 years ago, my brain started running out of steam. These last 10 years have been hard.

I still have decent retention of things I learned back when I started my job, 30 years ago. I'm still considered a "subject matter expert". However, as the technology in my job changed, I was really feeling that old proverb of "old dogs can't learn new tricks" building up, except it was more "this old dog doesn't want to learn any more tricks". I just couldn't remember the new stuff. I get the gist as people explained it, but even though I took notes, I couldn't visualize any of it. Most of it wasn't sticking.

Of course, with me binge reading serial novels like an addict over the last few years hasn't helped. It's just filling my brain's RAM with crap while my brain's hard drive is slowly deteriorating.

4. Anra7777

Anra7777 All powerful magic grammar hamster queen pirate.

Reading List:
    Link
    As a person with ADHD, my greatest crutches have been planners and phone alerts. (Although, word of advice, never suggest a planner to someone with ADHD. I’ve seen a lot of ADHD people offended by it, because the suggestion is seen as dismissive. And while, yeah, it in no way fixed things for me, it was helpful. I basically went from being able to keep track of nothing to only losing track of some things.)

I cannot stress enough how helpful phone alerts are, though. Put all your meetings in your calendar and set up as many alerts as your calendar allows. Mine allows two, so I set mine for two days before and one day before the event. Once the two day alert pops, I switch it to the two hour before alert, and then once the one day alert pops, switch it to the one hour alert. Then I switch them to half an hour and ten minutes. Because of this, I rarely miss meetings anymore, although I’ve had the other party screw up on their end multiple times. (Case in point, Monday I showed up to my dentist and I wasn’t in their system.) And be sure to put your finals in there too. I screwed up and nearly missed my final law school finals by a day. It was only thanks to a classmate emailing me that I didn’t miss my finals.

5. kingeddie

kingeddie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    get your blood work done!!! for real it's amazing how a lack of specific vitamins can completely fuck your body up. yes do everything everyone has mentioned, but also keep an eye out for your body and health.

Shizukani and Baldingere like this.
  6. Deleted member 343155

Deleted member 343155 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I thought you are giving tips for improving memory

Shizukani likes this.
  7. xiao Yi

xiao Yi I told you to forget me but you stayed by my side.

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly, I easily forget something that happened recently. But the ones years ago, HAHA! Its like a movie playing vividly in my mind. WTF moments _(з」∠)_

Ps. I am a bear with very little brain. ฅ'ω'ฅ

Shizukani likes this.
  8. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Eat more fish I guess. And play some brain games. Start re-learning some math concepts. Do timed IQ tests. Read books and then summarize them in a diary after you're done. Meditate to boost your concentration. If you want to go further, watch some videos about building a "memory castle" to store your knowledge and access it faster. That one is too much work for me though.

All of the above is assuming you don't have a medical condition that worsens memory.

Shizukani likes this.
  9. meliori

meliori [in a dark tunnel seeing light from afar]

Reading List:
    Link
    Same problem. With more things to do, more things to remember. My attention is bad too at this point I've given up relying solely on memory. I make use of activity logs, notes, and a lot of notes, scolding myself to focus more, and also reminders.

Shizukani likes this.
  10. Havisu

Havisu Night Lurker

Reading List:
    Link
    when I don't see things for a while, I can completely forgot them.. then few years later I would see something that remind me of them, and I'll feels like crying so hard haha.

This is all because I am way used to moving into lots of boarding schools when I was a kid. I had difficulty with remembering people's name because of this. My mind is trained to remove anything that may not be necessary for my current self..

Shizukani likes this.
  11. fazierdiaz

fazierdiaz New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Read Books it increases your focus and improves memory.

Shizukani likes this.
  12. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    personal log, review, basically write it down on systematic way cuz this cat like that way~ keep head cool you know when panic or emotion flood thing just get worse how to do that well different people do different thing~ put enuf quality rest this cat not machine~ balancing physical sport and mind games (such as chess)~
    know your limit then ask help from other~
    nothing new really~

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    Shizukani likes this.
  13. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    I need more advices for this one

Shizukani likes this.
  14. Shizukani

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for sharing your experiences/advice everyone~ :blobneet:

15. simdimdim

simdimdim Well-Known Member ,「Degenerate」

Reading List:
    Link
    sleep well, eat well (and stay hydrated), go over things you wish to remember in the time frame of 1 to 3 hours after they fall out of your short term memory.
    that's for the memory retention,
    for attention span, just make it a habit to plan things ahead and then apply the memory retention tips to the plan.

The above could also be combined with trying to keep everything you might need in your short term memory at all times, as if there will be a quiz about it in 10 minutes, so you're doing last-minute review of it), of course that could be quite taxing if you're implementing it literally, but rather as an attitude, I think it works great.

As long as your body is healthy (rested, fed and hydrated) and you do things that actually predispose you to remembering things (such as the repetitions mentioned, you should be able to fall in that part of the forgetfulness statistic that's the "3% human error" (or in other words, the part that's showing what's at the limit of average human capabilities))
    Oh, and one more thing, during the day, and between activities, make sure you leave some downtime for your brain (5-20 minutes) so it'd find it easier to both switch between topics and separate data, making it easier to recall information related to each other easier and make it so you have less random associations (which are the kind that lead to attention deficiency as you called it)

tl;dr
    make sure you rest your mind between things, drink water and repeat going over things that shouldn't be forgotten in your mind every few hours.

Side effects to beware:
    to our brains repetition is pretty much identical adding importance to the things we repeat thinking about, so it's advisable to add correction to your importance evaluation function, to account for things you've thought about a lot recently.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    Shizukani likes this.
  16. Shizukani

Reading List:
    Link
    :hmm: gotta work on that stay hydrated one, first and foremost.

17. simdimdim

simdimdim Well-Known Member ,「Degenerate」

Reading List:
    Link
    of the things I listed letting your mind rest probably has biggest bang for the buck, followed by repeated recall of stuff you wish to retain better

Shizukani likes this.
  18. Shizukani

Reading List:
    Link
    *nods nods* Letting my mind rest huh :hmm:

19. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    For me making connections to things help me remember things a lot. Getting a good nights rest also help too.

Shizukani likes this.
  20. QueenofCheshires

QueenofCheshires BXG QT Enthusiast (´∩。• ᵕ •。∩`)

Reading List:
    Link
    The same thing happened to me. I noticed it after covid. My memory worsen, i could be talking to you right at this moment but when i get distracted it would take me 2 minutes to remember what we are talking about, if I remember it at all that is.

My attention span also shortened. I could also be talking to you and I would zone out then the one im talking to would need to repeat what they said again for me to comprehend.

I feel like I became more dumber bcs even the games I played before (detective mystery stuffs like escape games) i now have a hard time playing.

I also have a harder time to say the words that I want to say. There are also chances that I need to rephrase and rephrase what I'm saying because it doesn't makes sense (literal oral communication).

Not only me but some of thosse who i inetract with experience this.