Discussion First Webnovel and how you found Novel Updates?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by SleepyTy, Aug 6, 2022.

1. kislanyk

kislanyk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same like the OP, through MDZS. I first watched The Untamed, then I've learned that it was based on a novel and it was fan-translated. A Google search led me to NU, and the rest is history...

SleepyTy likes this.
  2. SleepyTy

SleepyTy Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Actually I've been kinda curious about people who were introduced to MDZS through The Untamed. Were you aware the original was BL (since it's censored in the drama and they're just 'friends') or did you find out after looking for the novel?

3. kislanyk

kislanyk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally I was not aware that it was BL at all. I went to TU through a Reddit kdrama thread where I was looking for dramas with the rebirth trope. Someone mentioned TU and off I went to watch it. I honestly don't remember when it happened, but at some point, I started looking funnily at the 2 MCs lol, so I went off researching...Then I've learned that it was based on a novel, and after watching TU and the TU Special Edition, I started reading the novel translation. Before that, I had no idea about Yaoi, BL, or anything else similar for that matter. It was a very alien concept to me (I'm in Europe, and these Asian terms are not as popular here - well, at least they weren't before TU became a hit all over the world. Now, it's another story, lol).

SleepyTy likes this.
  4. shurixx

shurixx Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Finding Konosuba translated volumes or chapters in 2016 or 2017 (I've only made an account some year later since why not). Those years are the start of my degrading eyesight. Got hooked looked up if there's similar LNs and found some isekai WNs, Slime Tensei, Mushoku Tensei, Kenkyo Kenjitsu, Reincarnated as Sword and so on and so forth. The site also keeps on showing up by the way so I kinda have to use it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
  5. Jdhdisodhsio

Jdhdisodhsio New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It had been three years ago when i was really bored so i decided to try to read something good and i somehow found "who made me a princess". Which got me hooked so i found more and more series to read just like it and eventually i wanted to find spoilers for a manhwa i was reading and novel updates came up.

6. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't remember, maybe from wuxiaworld reading those super long xianxia novel like Coiling Dragon and Martial Asura etc. Dang back then basically all I read was xianxia. It was a breath of fresh air because I am an avid manga reader but well, manga MC are very humane while you know how these xianxia MC are basically genociders.

So i use novel update since its inception in 2015. It was so hard to find novels back then so I read whatever. Now I barely touch any xianxia and read romance.

7. Kelsealoufromkalamazoo

Kelsealoufromkalamazoo [The Luckiest Sunfish]

Reading List:
    Link
    My first webnovel was Scum Villains Self Saving System, I bought the actual book and wanted to find the rest of the volumes. Then it moved from finding MXTX’s other works, to light novels of manwha I had read, and then I got here. All in the span of 5 months

8. nakie08

nakie08 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The first LN I've read is Zero no Tsukaima. I read the LN after watching the anime. That was like more than a decade ago. Back then there was no NU yet, and we were squatting for space on mangaupdates.com for LN series updates lol. Later there was a huge debate on MU on whether to restrict LN works from the site and in the midst of that kerfuffle people just started linking to this site and that's how I found it. Not really sure if that was the beginning of this site but I remember when I first visited the site still looked super new. I don't think there even was a forum back then.

9. LurkerIsBack

LurkerIsBack Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I first watched Mahouka then went to read the novels. Somehow i found coiling dragon on wuxiaworld and got addicted. Back then there have issues about making novel pages on mangaupdates then someone introduced me to novelupdates.

10. bkwusa

bkwusa Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I started with a friends recommendation of 1/2 Prince. That lead me to RoyalRoad when it was still a translation site with Legendary Moonlight Sculptor and using Baka-Tsuki for finding newer novels. Then I saw a recommendation for WuxiaWorld which was only a translation site at the time for Coiling Dragon. Their forum talked about Novelupdates quite a bit, then I started reading novels from here, took a while for me to sign up, mainly to keep track of what I was reading since I was using bookmarks and the translation sites kept changing their links or stopped translating.

11. sjmcc13

sjmcc13 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?

I saw the manga, read what had been translated so far, and wanted more.

12. amilhs

amilhs Moon Walker

Reading List:
    Link
    My first novel is Tales of demons and gods...I found webnovel Tru the comments of the manga talking about the novel of it and it leads me in here~

Last edited: Aug 27, 2022
  13. kaloo

kaloo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I came from MangaUpdates and found this site when someone made a complaining post like "Stop putting novels on here. There are other sites for that. Like NovelUpdates."

I think the first asian web novel I honestly couldn't tell you. I've been around from the start reading Japanese Light Novels (Haruhi was the first of those) then inching over the Chinese novels. (Like 1/2 Prince)

Probably Moonlight Sculptor but I think that was a print novel too.

14. regartn

regartn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to only watch a few animes. One of them was Digimon and I happened to read a fanfic about it. I then spent some time reading fanfictions on a fanfiction website. Then I think I watched another anime but didn't find any fanfiction of that anime on this website. So I googled something like "xxx stories". One of the first websites found was the novel on novelupdates (I no longer know the name of the anime and therefore of my first novel). I then read more novels from the recomments and eventually found more novel websites like webnovel, wuxiaworld and so on.

Btw, back then I didn't know about Reading list and Bookmark feature on novelupdate, so I bookmarked every novel in browser and went to all novels every day to check for new chapters. Only years later, when I had too many novels, did I create an account.

15. Fang4

Fang4 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Coiling dragon was my first web novel, it’s been almost 7 years since then but even though my tastebuds have gradually been overloaded with numerous web novels that first time feeling is still a novelty.

I actually forgot how I came across novelupdates but I have a strong feeling it’s through some obscure comment sections.

16. MMWO

MMWO *pout*

Reading List:
    Link
    I started reading on Wattpad then I discovered a Chinese novel on Wattpad. I was fascinated so I searched it online and there it is on wuxiaworld. Then I want to read more of this kind of novel so I installed webnovel from the playstore. Anyway, after my webnovel phase, I started to frequent novel updates.

17. MidstNost

MidstNost 【 Reigen's Saltshaker 】【 Lingtian Raider 】

Reading List:
    Link
    Stunning Edge was my first webnovel bc i was looking for recommendations on the forum and it was so highly rated. Yall... it was good at first but turned to utter sh*t at the end, the hype was beyond me. Def overrated. I wish i had a better one for my first webnovel.

But if we're being technical and add LNs thats been adapted from WN then it's either Tensura or Overlord i think. Cant remember.

18. Yonaz

Yonaz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My evolution:
    kid cartoons --> actual books --> anime --> donghua --> manhua --> manga--> manhwa --> web novels --> now
    So basically, when I was at the manhwa phase, I was reading Trash of the Count's family and at that time they only updated like ten ish chapters. I felt tired of waiting so I went to find the novel in Light Novel Pub. Since then, I'm an avid wn reader. And this is like the most popped up site whenever I search a novel. So I frequent here. Then just so I could look for a novel I needed to find, I joined. Yay!

19. Deleted member 25261

Deleted member 25261 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor and I still didn't completed.

20. GoldEmperor

GoldEmperor Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My first was Fate/zero because I wanted to get into fate franchise( I stopped at zero) then moved to another site to read HeartxHybrid and completed solo leveling there and after year or so I moved to Novelupdates