What was Darker than Black even about?

Discussion in 'Anime Discussion' started by Blossom_Honey, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Blossom_Honey

Blossom_Honey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I watched it years ago and I genuinely don’t remember what the plot was, like what was Hei’s goal? What was with the gates and what were they about? What even happened? I recall just getting through episode after episode and being genuinely confused about what was actually happening for whatever reason.

jolly-crow, kyoshijiro and curly _tea like this.
  2. Gitami

Gitami Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yin and Suo being cute.
    Just contractors doing contract things and having to pay renumerations. Yin being some special contractor and Hei rescuing her despite contractors being social loners.

Senros likes this.
  3. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    The Gates are basically the anomaly that has affected the world basically making a starless sky, contractors are those who I think have somehow contracted with the Gates gaining powers and becoming emotionless forming a star in the sky to signify their contractor status. Hei is not a contractor so he does not need to fulfill an obeisance, he is a normal human being who is fused with his sister because of her contractor power and she fulfills her obeisance since she is in essence always sleeping. Hei's goal was to find his sister Bai, whom he didn't know fused with him with her contractor power. Amber had the full story while Hei did not. I think at the end of season 1 Hei closed the gates using his sister's power. I am not going to watch the abomination that is season 2.

Time to hijack the thread: Hoshimi is Amber

4. Eisvarith Devirea

Eisvarith Devirea [Mza {Valkyrie Awakens} Mya]

Reading List:
    Link
    i quite agree with this, but at the same time im feeling conflicted because i actually do enjoy season 2.

5. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    Good action, imo

Blossom_Honey likes this.
  6. Arbelbyss

Arbelbyss 『Abyss Scion』『Epiphron』『Tempestarius』

Reading List:
    Link
    As I said, Hoshimi is Amber. It's the only thing that makes sense. Hoshimi is really old, who best to use a contractor power that has an obeisance that requires one to de-age. Amber must have been really old when she became a contractor in order to understand and use her power properly. The way I see it, Hoshimi hasn't become a contractor yet, but she will eventually.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
  7. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm I tried watching it back when I watched everything anime. I think I saw two episodes, maybe more but I can't recall. I remember liking the art style. But it was a snoozefest for me. Something about the progression of the story was slow and boring. I know people are different, opinions differ and whatnot, so I hope I'm not angering the fans lol. (Now's the time to say Wolf's Rain was fucking tedious to watch as well). I just prefer something snappy like Drifters or Attack on Titan or Akagi. And if it's slow, it has to be episodic and atmospheric like Mushishi or Natsume Yuujinchou. I wish they'd make a decent anime for Katana, since it also falls into that category and I loved the manga.

So anyway, scrolled this thread cause I also had no idea what it was about hoho.

8. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think we should be having this discussion while listening to A Lighter Shade of Pale

9. Blossom_Honey

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh ok I vaguely recall something like that. So his sister was asleep the whole time huh? Then we’re the gates still there after season 1 or was it just that no one could go into them anymore or something? Was season 2 the one with the pink haired girl with a rifle? Because that one really threw me off, like Yin just became evil(?) for whatever reason, Hei was a middle-aged alcoholic and then the season just ended with with the rifle girl and another doll being put in a genjitsu or something?

Reason why I watched it in the first place lol.

Yeah, I also need something snappy to keep me going, but I just wanted to keep going because apprently everyone was talking about how cool it was so I was just pushing through with it. And oh yes, fellow Natsume Yuujinchou fan, loved that series, caught up to the manga and now have to deal with the author going on hiatus since like 2017 - even worse since we just got a major hint about
    Natsume’s grandfather.

ludagad likes this.
  10. Odyssey

Odyssey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    its about the Chinese Electric Batman

Blossom_Honey likes this.
  11. psyque

psyque Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link

It's Whiter Shade of Pale, but I like where you're head is at!

12. Wryvent

Wryvent Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This was one of my favorite anime back in the day. I assume you didn't watch the OVA? They take place between S1 and S2 and explain why Hei is an alcoholic in S2. Heaven's Gate is still inaccessible after S1, Hell's Gate is still there.

50 years ago there was a prophecy detailing events that will happen in the future, part of which is like a doomsday prophecy that some bad stuff would happen when two individuals Izanami and Izanagi meet, and an entity will appear from the Hell Gate. The Syndicate is originally created to deal with this.
    10 years ago the Heaven and Hell's Gates appear, along with Contractors and Dolls. It is never revealed why they appear. Hei's sister Bai becomes a Contractor and Hei, a normal human, joins the Syndicate along with her.
    5 years ago there was a conflict around Heaven's Gate called Heaven's War and Hei's sister Bai disappeared along with Heaven's Gate.

Season 1: Hei is looking for clues for what happened to his sister Bai while still working for the Syndicate dealing with Contractors with his team of Huang, Mao and the Doll Yin. Eventually it is revealed that Hei is actually still a normal human, and his ability to manipulate electrons is actually from his sister Bai's ability to manipulate all molecules. During Heaven's War, Bai used her ability to combine and sleep inside Hei, giving him an inferior version of her power. Bai's Obeisance was to sleep, and since she is always sleeping, Hei can use her power without an Obeisance.
    Over the course of Season 1, Yin starts to evolve and has emotions unlike a normal Doll and Yin and Hei grow closer together. At the end of Season 1, the Syndicate orders for Hei to kill Yin. Hei refuses and goes on the run with Yin.

OVA: Hei and Yin are on the run from the Syndicate. Yin's Observer Spirit has turned into a full body copy of Yin and develops more powers. Some parts of Syndicate want to kill Yin, others capture her. After a bunch of battles, Yin disappears and Hei, thinking she is dead, becomes an alcoholic.

Season 2: Around 2 years after S1. Hei works for the CIA after he is told Yin is actually alive but captured, she is kept in a coma and her Observer Spirit that looks like her is being used as a weapon. He goes to Russia and gets involved with pink hair rifle girl Suou. At the end it is revealed that Yin's Observer Spirit is the Izanami from the prophecy 50 years ago. And Suou's brother in a wheelchair Shion, is the so called Izanagi. Shion has the power to make copies with one difference from the original. He makes a deal with Izanami and creates an entire copy of the Earth without Contractors and Dolls, and Izanami sends the souls of Suou and the other Doll boy to that world to live as regular people peacefully. As part of the deal, he creates a body for Izanami in Hell's Gate. At the end, after Suou is sent to the copied world, Hei gets his powers back. Hei separates Izanami, Yin's Observer Spirit, from Yin and is shown leaving with Yin. Izanami possesses the body Shion (Izanagi) made for her, fulfilling the prophecy 50 years ago.

So... Ultimately I guess the story is about Hei deciding not to kill Yin to save the world lol?

Ekisiel, Rumby, Gitami and 5 others like this.
  13. Blossom_Honey

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally it all makes sense, thank you so much, I don't know how I missed the plot. Maybe because I was watching it mute on an iPhone4 lol.

14. paddokuma

paddokuma Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    only eat to kill

15. TheWiseOne

TheWiseOne Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This about about sums it up pretty well. Unfortuantely we never got any kind of continuation :( I was hoping for years that with the ending of a new gate appearing, and them making a new syndicate we'd get some sort of continuation but never got anything. Hopefully in the future something good...