TV Autistic Shaun the good sheep

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Zeusomega, Aug 23, 2022.

1. Zeusomega

Zeusomega M.D of Olympus Pvt Ltd. Seeking [Boltzmann brain]

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm in middle of binging good doctor, and something really ticked me off.

Shaun the asd doctor, very smart and has computational talent, severely lacks in Emotional intelligence, his emotions are off a 8 yr old, very demanding and throws fits and tantrums when he doesn't get his way.

Here's my problem, I get the part where people should accomodate and help him whenever possible, even understand that some regular folks are worse than asd's but for the sake of sanity why do they pamper him like a child?

They don't allow him to recoil from a mistake, or even register it before someone goes around him to fix it for him, smh like ok he has autism but that shouldn't mean everyone should pave way for him, it's not even a impossible situation, he has clearly shown he can learn patterns and react accordingly, he has his own selfish empathy/possessiveness to people he really cares so he isn't fully incapable of emotions.

In S3E5 he is about to get his first lead surgery, but he botches it with the patient and gets removed from it according to the patient's wish. Yet, before he is given time to think and work through where he went wrong the chief does this most reckless and irrational thing. She F**king gives the ultimatum to the patient "either he operates or you can fuck off to some other hospital" to the patient! Are you Fucking kidding me?

This is not even the most unreasonable move, the previous President of the hospital who was adamantly opposed to shaun's residency destroys his own career to get Shaun back to job.

And you know why he was fired? Not because he screwed up with the communication, not because some technical mistake...but cause he fucking threw a tantrum in the chief's office... threating he won't leave until he is put back into surgery, the guy is irony personified, the chief just said this very action is why he can't do it but he anyway continues.

And welp the president who for no apparent reason (there was no significant incident that showed why he would change his mind that much) fired the chief and in return lost his job (why? Cause he was the nutcase who specifically searched and hired the chief for a very high package just two weeks ago)

Season 1 was somewhat good, it seemed like it was showing light on the stigma of autism, but from mid season 2 it just became a kid getting his way.

I mean a objective person should understand that if he has a very strong opinion of how a toilet paper should be set, someone's opinion of something else could be just as important. He has grown into this "I'm sick so take care of me" unconsciously, example he hates getting touched so goes to his gf (who he thinks is a burden to accommodate to) and says "either we touch hands or we don't, there's no middle ground, and cause I'm uncomfortable with holding hands and you are not uncomfortable with not holding hands, it'll be my way"

I'm no gal but bugger I'll flip the F**king autism out of you :blob_catflip:

Tl:dr shaun's a entitled bitch and needs to be shown how dirty the ground is.

Ps: yeah ofcourse it's a rant, autistic people have it tuff, they need special care I absolutely support giving them more attention than necessary....yet I don't think they should be doctors or any risky professionals if they fall that deep in the spectrum.

2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haven't watched the show and have no plans for watching it, but if I'm not wrong, you seem to be criticizing the protagonist's infantile behaviour being enabled by a sense of misplaced sympathy for his condition in a profession where there is little room for error, right? :hmm:

Zeusomega likes this.
  3. Juju48

Juju48 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What's funny about this rant is I've worked with doctors that act very similarly to what you've described. One guy I'm thinking of was literally the best in his field. Everyone bent over backwards to keep him happy. His bed side manner was the worst I had ever seen. Yet, when it came down to it, if I needed someone, I would have picked him. He was absolutely the best at what he did. There's something about really smart people in general. Not all, but most have anti-social behaviors, or other issues that make them difficult people to deal with. They also strive for an excellence level most of us find unreachable.

Zeusomega likes this.
  4. DaddyDominus

DaddyDominus Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me I have pretty straightforward opinion, if I like story I watch it if I don't I won't. Why waste time being objective when it's only entertainment. We watch movies/drama/anime and read manga/novels for fun and to pass time.
    If you say otherwise that people also watch them for knowledge then go straight to school or college.

If you have the energy to be objective for meaningless things as movies/drama or otaku stuff then instead of killing your brain cells on these why don't you focus on reality and real life probs. You my friend have so much free time on your hands.