Discussion Made a sales girl cry. Would you do things differently?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Eishun, Aug 24, 2022.

1. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I went into a printing shop to get some documents printed. 30 pages total.

The sales girl who served me clicked print and 30 pages came out. But the words were too small. All of them were squeezed into six-inch panels on A4 sized paper. I couldn't see the words at all. So the sales girl obligingly printed another batch. They came out wrong again. Then she tried, one page at a time, several times in a row. She couldn't fix the problem though. All the words came out too small for some reason.

So, in the end, I took back my USB and turned to leave. And then, at that moment, a supervisor came to me and warned me that I have to pay for the stuff or the sales girl would have to pay for them out of her paycheck. I told the supervisor that I didn't get what I want. I couldn't use the printed docs at all, so I wasn't going to take a single page with me.

Then the sales girl who served me burst into tears. But I hardened my heart and turned to leave anyway.

So, who's at fault here? Should I have paid for the goods I didn't get? I didn't take a single piece of paper from the shop after all. Despite 70 tries, all the docs came out wrong. I couldn't read the words at all. and 70 pieces came out to 35 bucks (when converted to US dollars.). I originally only wanted to print 30 pages (15 bucks). But due to the constant errors, the girl ended up printing 70 pages. All failures.

What would you have done? Pay for the the printed failures, even though you can't read the words? Or leave?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
  2. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If your document's formatting is consistent with what you require and you have additionally specified exactly how you want it printed out, then it is the sales clerk's job to deliver or at least, point out what is possible for her to do before proceeding. She should've asked for help if she wasn't competent.

P.S. I still feel some sympathy for her, despite her poor choices.

Mr. Tired, Glass Shard, Orris and 3 others like this.
  3. ngard

ngard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    70 pages? and she never asked for help?
    also, for them to ask you to pay for all 70 when it was never your intention to have that amount is absurd!
    that is not on you for sure, you went there to get the job done, but they couldn't so of course you shouldn't have to pay for it. of course, having the poor girl pay for it all is also unfair, but by no means your fault. if anyone is at fault in this situation its the manager for not teaching her properly, or her for not asking for help sooner.
    at least that's my take

4. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly the supervisor here is wrong, idk how things work there, but if they didn't say anything, the company would "pay for it" no one would feel bad either. The company can definitely afford it, and list it as an expense, at lease that little.

Glass Shard, Orris, Westeller and 3 others like this.
  5. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    The supervisor is the one in the wrong here, since the person in charge of printing shouldn't be the one paying in case things go wrong... Though well, this is probably a company policy error instead of a supervisor error.

The sales girl probably should have given up sooner and asked the supervisor for help with printing, as it was coming with errors though, since like... Well, if she isn't getting it right and doesn't know why it is coming out wrong, then she should ask for help instead of wasting more ink.

You shouldn't pay for a defective product, that much is a fact, but the sales girl also shouldn't pay for a printing error, even if it was her fault... Sometimes those things happen and the store can shoulder it way better than any employee can.

Overall, the whole situation is kinda crazy to me... And well, I also have no idea what I'd do in this situation... I mean, it seems like a company policy error essentially, and I shouldn't be faulted for that, but I would also feel really bad for someone that (probably) earns minimum wage to suddenly have to pay for something like that out of nowhere. Her budget would probably already be fairly tight even without this.

Geez, what a mess.

Rutabaga, Orris, Westeller and 2 others like this.
  6. Goblin Sleuth

Goblin Sleuth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That 100% sounds like a scam, there is no way that a printing store can't afford the cost of a few botched pages. Those 70 misprinted pages are probably worth 3 or 5 bucks to the store top. The manager was obviously trying to guilt trip you into paying, fuck that guy.

Orris, Westeller, Lonelycity and 7 others like this.
  7. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This sounds like a scam to me as well.

If you have a local library or a school (like a university or community college) with public services, you are probably better off going there. Also, if those documents are sensitive, do what you can to lock down your credit etc., since a manager who will try to guilt trip you over a product you didn't receive is also likely to sell your information or worse.

8. Lemonfairy

Lemonfairy 〖Retired Old Lady ♡〗〖High Acidity ♡〗〖Lethal ♡〗

Reading List:
    Link
    time to invest in a printer

9. Mnotia

Mnotia The Trash Man

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd just pay for it. It wouldnt really hurt my pocket and I'd rather take a hit then let some boss fuck over an employee.

Orris and LeniSnow like this.
  10. Jojo775

Jojo775 Honorary Algae Knight

Reading List:
    Link
    You didn't have to pay, neither did she, and it doesn't cost 35$ lol. I printed some 5 pics in color a few months ago for 2€ or so.
    Also even if she was to take the blame, she shoudln't pay service cost, just the 1$ actual cost of some sheets of paper and few drops of ink.

Orris and whitespade like this.
  11. Shizukani

Shizukani Chronically stressed

Reading List:
    Link
    Oof I'm a pushover so I probably would've paid. And just told them to do it better next time or something. :sweating_profusely:

Then again, I wouldve made sure to get what I wanted for the second batch, even if I had to do it for her. Or I simply wouldn't have let it get that far maybe.

12. whitespade

whitespade Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You are not in the wrong. The girl should get a spine and quit on the spot

13. QueenofCheshires

QueenofCheshires BXG QT Enthusiast (´∩。• ᵕ •。∩`)

Reading List:
    Link
    Damn that's so expensive. You should really think abt buying a printer saves so much time and worry.

Also have heard of a similar scenario. Some supervisors are really a butthole that would make an employee pay for those shi* without discounting it.

14. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope , overpriced , her fault
    She could have gotten someone to help her earlier. I think that a page of A4 costs 20 cents ?
    If no dimensions given -> A4 please , aka default. Feels like maybe it was changed for the previous customer

15. Lonelycity

Lonelycity Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel bad for her but the amount that you’ll have to spend wastefully is way too much imo. So yes I would have done the same as you… but if it were around 8-9 USD I might have obliged?

16. Westeller

Westeller Smokin' Sexy Style!! Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    +1 to "the store should have eaten the loss, not the cashier".

Fuck I work retail, and that is definitely not how things work. A cashier isn't on the hook for anything unless they're stealing. Sometimes cashiers even fall for outright scams and *give money away*, and they *still* aren't on the hook for shit. I suppose if they did something really dumb or broke something really expensive the store could ask for them to pay it back, but hell they'd need a court to actually force it, and the judge would probably laugh them out - an employee doing their job (or trying to) is generally not responsible for damages (IANAL).