Discussion How tf do I focus on studying

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Aqua_the_idiot, Sep 1, 2022.

1. Aqua_the_idiot

Aqua_the_idiot my decisions are justified by my name

Reading List:
    Link
    "I am gonna study hard like everyone else cuz this year is very important for my future" + "fuck it I am gonna fail anyway, I should kill my myself" = Worst Combination e v e r

Pls recommend me some websites/tips that would help me focus AHHHHHHH I am going crazy from the past 3 hours

[​IMG]

2. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    Rest when you need, do some stretches, walk outside

sm0lbean likes this.
  3. Cyltea

Cyltea New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You can start by turning off your wifi

4. Issis

Issis 'Feeling is a Gift and a Curse'

Reading List:
    Link
    If you can follow, make a plan: How much syllabus to cover in how many days; Concepts you need to clear; Read the chapter thoroughly; Solve papers, do lots of questions
    And don't spend too much time on social media or electronics
    Also if you get distracted easily choose a quiet place to study
    The worst combination ever was me these last two years:notlikeblob:

5. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    You can try pomodoro. 20 mins work then 5 min rest.

I personally prefer finishing things in one go. Focusing on things I am unsure of. For physics and maths, problem solving practices helps and having the equations in a small paper too.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2022
    sm0lbean and whitespade like this.
  6. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    Studying is a habit just like everything else finding the best method for you is about finding your best learning method first. is it easier to learn by doing by listening or watching? even if one of these methods is best it always good to have a note book to write down your notes to be able to review.

set up a desk with nothing on it except for your desktop/laptop or tablet what ever it is you use to study and when you sit there it is for studying if you find yourself wanting to do something else get up and leave come back when you are ready. this trains your mind that this work station is for work. <--- also the reason they tell you not to do anything else on your bed besides sleep as it trains your body to sleep once you are in bed instead of staying awake for an hour.

candy and coffee have lot of benefits when you want to study concentrating burns a lot of sugar have a small chocolate bar or both a coffee as it help stimulate your mind.

Have a clear goal you aren't going to go from a C student up to an A student right away your grade will improve as you understand the material you cover it also great if you could invite a friend or 2 to study and help each other cover material you are weak at and teach them on material you are strong which is great as it reinforces your learning too.

asriu, meliori and Grey_Angel like this.
  7. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm... if you have time on your hands, the worst thing you could do is to cram it with study day in, day out. Intersperse your study sessions with regular intervals of relaxation, say, 10 mins for every half an hour of study. If your attention starts wavering, let it, instead of forcing it back on your materials; approach them again when you're past your bit of distraction and have steadied your focus again. Ofc, this only works if you don't have the attention span of a goldfish.

8. whatadrag

whatadrag Member

Reading List:
    Link
    nike said it... just do it....

9. Aqua_the_idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    that's the problem, I can't cuz all my material is in my laptop and I need wifi :cry:

I would rather sit at my desk doing nothing instead of that dammit. Unless I do some work done (which nowadays rarely happens), my body wouldn't let me get up and go outside.
    [​IMG]

I always make a plan but fail to follow it. :blob_teary: But imma solve the questions, maybe my mind will be concentrated.

I use a similar website that you recommended that is LifeAt and honestly it did work for 2 months but then I lost the "interest" :blobpensive:

That was kinda helpful, thank you. I will try to follow the tips.

My distractions last for hours- :blobastonished:

Gonna brainwash myself now to get the work done.

aegis062 and Issis like this.
  10. Issis

Issis 'Feeling is a Gift and a Curse'

Reading List:
    Link
    Me too!! Always make so many plans, so detailed and perfect. But I can never follow it. I even thought I had ADHD. Yeah doing questions help. When you start getting answers you start enjoying it and want to do more.
    Good luck(y)

Aqua_the_idiot likes this.
  11. P2wo

P2wo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well first of all, studying is like eating and drinking, you need to do it everyday. I think the best way to study is to make notes everyday.

This is what I used to do in my college. Me and my group of friends would divide the syllabus and then we would make notes on the topics we choose. That way out burden would be reduced.

Another thing is that there are people who personally enjoy studying, like me. But there are people who study to pass exams. If you are the latter, you need to make a plan. Review past questions and see the pattern of the questions. I don't know the exam system in your country but at least in my country there is some kind of question patterns. For example, some topics will always be asked on long questions and some on short questions. So for topics that usually come in short questions, I focus less on them and the length of my notes are also small.

Another thing is books. Not every book is written in a fun way. There are books that are so nicely written that even if you don't like studying, you will read the subject because of how well the book is written. So you should do some research on which books are the best.

You can watch online lectures. There are many YouTube channels that explain many topics in a very simple manner.

Also, studying is a brain activity. It is easier to remember things studied in the morning, so if you can, study in the morning. Also, only when you are in a good mood can you focus on something. So, sleep for 8 hours a day. Exercise. Drink healthy food and lots of water, so that your body and mind both stay healthy.

Mainly, don't think of studying as a chore. Always take breaks from time to time. Don't start studying when the exam is near. The best time to study a topic is the day before the teacher teaches it. That way you can clear your doubts the very next day and you will remember the material longer. Actively participating in class is also a good way to study. A teacher will put extra effort on those classes where students are active.

In conclusion, make notes daily, stay happy and healthy, and don't think of studying as a burden. You can do it!

12. Deleted member 456425

Reading List:
    Link
    I never used a site. But don't lose hope since one method didn't work out. You at least know that it's not the studying habit that worked for you. Do you have a good space to study? What about the subjects, which ones are hard? Do you try answering old quizzes?

13. Ceilo27

Ceilo27 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There is an app called Focus Plant. It’s available on mobile and Chrome.
    This app helps you focus on your study. You basically put a timer for how long you would study. Focus will know that if you try to use your phone/laptop to do something else.
    If you passed the time without using your device you would get points.
    With these points, you can plant, grow your plants and open new fields for your plants.

here is a link for the apple app version:
    https://apps.apple.com/ae/app/focus-plant-pomodoro-forest/id1459096306

there is another app that is the same but with a different plot. you are a warrior searching for your master. In order to move forward you got to have points. The obvious way to earn points is by the timer you spent on whatever task you wanna focus on.

14. Aqua_the_idiot

Reading List:
    Link
    1. I do, I have my own room and a desk with laptop for studying. I have been using this space for the past 6 years.
    2. My favorite subjects are English and Biology while having a deep hatred for m a t h s.
    3. Sometimes when I feel like it. Last time I solved one was maybe 1 month ago (yeah..... I am kinda lazy)

sounds interesting, do you have the chrome version link too?

15. Nyctophilia

Nyctophilia Pretend Don't Exist

Reading List:
    Link
    Burnout? Well im just leave in the room and walked mindlessly? I think its good to walk even you dont have destination to relax your mind.

16. Deleted member 456425

Reading List:
    Link
    1. Good
    2. English and Biology are more about memorization. Math needs analysis.
    3. Try them more. Practice is what helps when it comes to maths. As I said earlier, try old quizzes and some future problems in your textbook.

Aqua_the_idiot and ScyllaNeil like this.
  17. Ca5e

Ca5e Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There's only one solution , write down your syllabus and make a rough plan which is achievable. I assume your mid term exams are right off the corner and you don't have much time left. you don't have to complete full syllabus , but whatever yo do do it properly. ask your friends for important questions and concepts before exams and stop wasting time on novels and anime. I'm in quite similar situation myself. good luck you got this

18. ScyllaNeil

ScyllaNeil Harmless Bunny

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey,
    I am also struggling with this but here are those bite-size suggestions that I think really helped me. I hope it can be of use to you too.
    1. Recognize what distracts you.
    2. Put them somewhere that will take you great effort to reach. If it's your phone switch it off for the time being. If it's a toy, give it to your mother and ask her to hide it for you for a while.
    3. Clean and organize the study table for you to work on. A messy study area might irritate you.
    4. Sometimes, you'll be met with random thoughts that might bug you. Acknowledge and reconcile with the distracting (trivial) thoughts that keeps your focus away from your study material as soon as you get them. Maybe you suddenly thought of the door that you forgot to close. As soon as you thought about it, directly go and close it before continuing. If you feel bad and felt like throwing up, take a deep breath and slow down. Do what you can and take a rest once it gets too much. If you felt yourself recover, get back at it again.
    5. See what works for you better: with music or without. Make sure you settle on a setting with this condition.
    6. Don't think too much. Trust yourself and trust that no matter how brief you've studied in focus for this day, it is still worth something.
    7. Eat on time, sleep on time, drink plenty of water. It will be a distraction if you study without filling your stomach.
    8. "I have to finish this. Yes I have lots of time, still. But, I have to finish this." Make yourself a mantra. Berate yourself if necessary. It's okay.
    9. Sing or hum a song if you find yourself boring away. But do not go away from your study table just because you felt it was too hard. Instead, try reading it out loud, discussing it with the air in front of you, or simply act like you're talking to yourself and explaining what you've read to yourself. Stay there, pause for a while, close you eyes, breath deeply, but don't do anything else unnecessary.
    10. It's okay to take a break. How much and for how many intervals, you don't have to plan it before studying. Just set a timer and when you feel exhausted, pause for a while and see then what duration works for you on a particular subject. Sometimes, 20 minute break will be short, but it would be quite long for a subject you find interesting.
    11. After studying, treat yourself or ask your parents or other relatives to treat you to a meal, a simple snack, or accompany you for a simple walk around the neighborhood. You can so play a brief game to pump up your adrenaline before continuing.
    12. Keep your desk clean and organize afterwards.
    13. Don't study thoughtlessly, be sure to consult your syllabus and ebooks/books if the teacher haven't yet provided any materials. You can then make your preliminary notes and take it with you to class. It is highly effective especially if you used the same ebook/book your teacher is using.
    14. Results won't show immediately. But every effort to improve oneself will accumulate and it will always be worth it. You got this.

19. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    You know how some people love to read out loud when they're trying to memorize something?

Well, I'm one of those type. So in my school years I am the lazy but diligent type of students. Lazy in a sense that I am too lazy to stare at my book, and diligent in a sense that because I'm too lazy, I develop my own way of studying.

So, what I did is, I record all the things we need to learn with phone record function, then everytime I'm free, I will hear my recorded voices while playing some games.

Of course, this isn't such a foolproof method, but it works for me as my subconscious brain recognize the test questions. Of course, you need to read the note once before for better image later on, but that should be cleared already when you record your own voice while reading out loud your study material.

That's my way to memorize things anyway. Not recommended if what you wanted to memorize is math, physics, chinese, etc.

20. Lemonfairy

Lemonfairy 〖Retired Old Lady ♡〗〖High Acidity ♡〗〖Lethal ♡〗

Reading List:
    Link