Discussion Lotus and naive characters?

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Mynmyn, Sep 4, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Mynmyn

Mynmyn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In romance novel, especially those isekai and regression stories, there's always this "original female lead" or "loved naive girl" that turns out to be a two faced and the dimension of their character is like a sheet of paper, they're just there and made that way to make the MC shine brighter and stuff, make them pitiful and more righteous. And because of those overused characters, those who are naive and grew up in a completely environment compared to the "angsty MC" gets hate and be called "lotus bitch". Now it seems like if they grew up loved, naive and innocent, is a sin for characters in a story which is not written in their perspective and they get branded all sorts of names by the readers? What do you think?

2. hansora

hansora Someone Who Seeks Fluff & Heartwarming Stories

Reading List:
    Link
    I dislike these judgemental lot. There are no problems if the original FLs grew up in a lovely environment and turned out to be naive. Unless they became crooked as the stories continued. Instead of lovable-turned-hateful orFLs, I really love it whenever they could be friends with the MCs (new FLs)

Reack, Mynmyn, moonlhgt and 1 other person like this.
  3. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    What you said sounds right. I think the real seed of the issue is incompetence. Readers, everyone really, like seeing competent characters improving and being a spectacular show. So when you have a naive and innocent character that are useless since they, generally speaking, can’t show, or improve, anything of the plot they are burdensome and annoying. So they are hated.

4. moonlhgt

moonlhgt ~Is in la la land~

Reading List:
    Link
    There has only ever been one case where I hated an innocent girl, and it was from a manga. She was a girl already in high school but went out on a date with a a guy who had a crush on her (she has a boyfriend) and once it started raining during the date, she thought it was perfectly innocent to sleep in a hotel with another guy who likes her even when she already had a boyfriend. She also didn't want to tell him that happened. But for those who are actually innocent because they've lived a nice life or because they haven't suffered isn't something people should be all flabbergasted about. Like "Why is this girl so dumb? Why can't she tell its a scheme?" Bro... she has only ever dealt with nice people her entire life, or fake nice people. Or she was beaten up her entire life which ended up making her have a younger mindset from lack of everything. If you don't like innocent characters, don't read ones with em

Reack likes this.
  5. Mynmyn

Mynmyn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Same, I think it'd be cool if the MC and the ogfl work together, not just a side character named "og FL that's on MC's side", I'd like it if there character was given some depths since if you think about it, there's many potential when it comes to isekai. It's literally rewriting/recreating the laws of the world, building new worlds and creating many mysteries yet they keep sticking to this "two faced lotus" cliche for some reason.

Oh, that's true. I do see it often. I guess if the MC is op, they just can't stand the incompetence of that one character lmao

Yo that girl has something wrong with her mind, that's a totally different from the innocent/naive personality.
    And yeah, just cuz the MC is girlboss doesn't mean everyone can do it due to their own circumstances and situations they grew up on.

6. CrimsonHazel

CrimsonHazel [Sarcastic Green Tea]

Reading List:
    Link
    Ey I'm not partial to anyone when I said I hate white lotus naive girl type
    It doesn't matter if its the MC or the oriFL
    Just like I hate the righteous hero type
    I used to love these type when I was younger
    You can find them everywhere in Japanese shoujo manga
    But as I get older, I found these kind of character very annoying

moonlhgt likes this.
  7. moonlhgt

Reading List:
    Link
    Righteous hero type... Like .. someone who actively tries to save anyone they see struggling?

8. Mynmyn

Mynmyn Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Why hate them tho? Any specific reason? Just asking if it’s just your taste or there’s a particular reason

9. CrimsonHazel

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeees
    Theres also those who instantly condemn anyone who do something bad, those who won't back off from a fight, and those that won't leave anyone behind no matter what

Its just my taste change i guess
    I used to love them, but now I prefer those who are ambitious and use every mean necessary to get what they want. The anti hero type if you will

moonlhgt likes this.
  10. moonlhgt

Reading List:
    Link
    I understand, I have a hard time liking em too. Most of the righteous type novels I've read start the very first chapter saying "I hate trouble" but literally thinks that while going to make trouble or help someone in trouble, consequently making themselves get in to trouble as well.

11. CrimsonHazel

Reading List:
    Link
    There's the classic:
    A: just leave me here.... I'll hold them off
    B: no! I won't leave you
    A: just go
    B: no! I'm staying
    >then person B will stay and somehow be a burden for person A who now have to fight while protecting person B
    >they won the fight but one enemy do a last sneak attack
    >person A cover for person B and died anyway

12. moonlhgt

Reading List:
    Link
    The "Just go" thooo!! See that part everywheerrre

13. tears

tears New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's probably because a lot of those "lotus characters" after a while are not so "innocent and good" anymore, and pretty much transform in villains, it's a little unfair, but they are probably written like that on purpose, to be "disliked" by the readers, and to "enhance" the heroine's qualities..

14. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I recently read a novel that dealt with tropes like this. The author of that novel guessed it was because the 傻白甜 (silly sweet) characters like Xiao Yanzi from My Fair Princess wore out their welcome after awhile and ended up inspiring a bunch of counter-trends. Mostly because characters like this, while sweet, tend to require a bunch of other people to clean up after their messes, and they don't tend to gain IQ points over time. Their job in the story is to create a mess and have everyone around them clean it up.

The first few times you're exposed to characters like this, they're probably not too annoying, or they have enough good qualities to counterbalance the amount of trouble they create. But after you see this trope lots of times, it becomes a dead horse, and characters like this, especially ones that aren't written well, have their flaws magnified greatly while their good qualities get erased.

So especially in stories where the protagonist's job is to defeat tropes, mostly in book transmigration, characters like this get shredded. Especially when a character like this gets tossed into a villain role, usually then the author wants to justify them being a villain, so they get turned into green tea bitches who know exactly what they're doing rather than actually being foolish with good intentions.

15. CreativeCriticalThinker

CreativeCriticalThinker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I theorize that the cute innocent saintlike small FL (from a poor family) archetype has gotten way too old and overused to the point that the (Asian) authors in the Fantasy Romance Melodrama Isekai Genre needed something new refreshing to shock/draw in the audience. So they decided to make the (misunderstood) demonized Villainess Stock Character the glorified Girlboss Bitch Heroine, while the Good Girly Girl Protagonist turns into the crazy scheming jealous/envious two face antagonist.
    It's currently the popular trend/mainstream standard for this kind of stories now...

There are still some OG FLs who are still genuinely nice/good:
    Maria Campbell (My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom!) + Yuri (Beware of the Villainess).

There is a nuanced deconstructive story about a petite pink haired white lotus type (who was an abused penniless child in Modern South Korea) from a poor low ranking noble house using her cuteness and emotional intelligence to survive but also empower miserable oppressed people.

Her name is Sasha and she is quite different than Yuuri in 'Simply Good Sense for a Duke’s'Daughter', Heronia 'Observation Record of a Self-proclaimed Villainess Fiance', Irene in 'I Didn't Mean to Seduce the Male Lead', Angela in 'Angelic Lady' or Rashta in 'Remarried Empress'.

This plot about this unusual MC/Extra with no special powers might interests you ;)

[​IMG]

https://tapas.io/series/the-antagonists-pet
    https://www.mangago.me/read-manga/the_pet_of_the_villainess/

Last edited: Sep 8, 2022