HELP, how to translate this sentence.

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by CountingNumbers, Sep 5, 2022.

1. CountingNumbers

CountingNumbers Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hi, I got the feeling that there´s a cultivation term here in this paragraph but that im missing it. Can someone help find it and tell me what it is?

(I think it might be referring to the name of the sect/group, or place)

现在的阚闻萧十四岁,从他被带到须臾之间已经有十年了,在此之前已经经历过他的毒打责罚,百般刁难,以及他从不掩饰的不喜欢

I feel like the word might also be in here,

阚闻萧穿着须臾之间弟子白底蓝纹的服饰,

but i don't know what it translates to.

2. lati

lati Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know chinese but I tried different translation sites and I think maybe this is the closest to the correct translation.

Kan Wen Xiao, now fourteen years old, had been taken from him to Xu Xian for ten years, and had been subjected to his violent punishments, all kinds of difficulties, and he had never hidden his dislike

But again I am not sure because I don't understand Chinese. This are the sites that I used. The last site can translate word for word. I hope this can help you.
    ☺️
    Google translate

Reverso context

Mdbg.net

3. CountingNumbers

CountingNumbers Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks this is a great help!
    I was using google translate along with my own knowledge of Chinese So I didn't catch the Xu Xian part

4. lati

lati Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm glad it helped you.
    Good luck with the translation. ☺️☺️

5. LingoSail

LingoSail Member

Reading List:
    Link
    须臾之间 is not a cultivation term, but one of those Chinese proverbs. It means a very short amount of time.

That being said, if we perceive it as a proverb, something along the lines of "time flies and the ten years passed in an instant", the wording is very weird. It also don't make sense for the second sentence.

Upon going back to the exact context, the way that it is used here is indeed more as a sect name.

现在的阚闻萧十四岁,从他被带到须臾之间已经有十年了,在此之前已经经历过他的毒打责罚,百般刁难,以及他从不掩饰的不喜欢
    阚闻萧穿着须臾之间弟子白底蓝纹的服饰,

Kan Wenxiao was now fourteen years of age, ten years since he was first brought to the Heartbeat Sect. Over those ten years, Kan Wenxiao had endured [ABC]'s physical punishments and constant admonishments. [ABC] never failed to express his dislike for the [boy/girl].

Kan Wenxiao wore the white with blue striped attire of the Heartbeat disciples.

Not sure if this is a translation or just for reading, but always a good habit to disambiguate certain sentences.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    nonononononono likes this.