Discussion Void/ Emptiness left by finishing a good story

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Emissary Nouvelle, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Emissary Nouvelle

Emissary Nouvelle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The emptiness that exists especially if it's something that you don't like 90-100% but you like the concept and likely hate the ending or it just doesn't satisfy you. (which is usually for me). How do other people deal with the void, usually time and life make me forget and when I do remember it's not as deep as before.

It's understandable that I didn't write the story being told but the ending leaves me empty nonetheless. I can't change how I feel. Sure the author's are amazing and all writing such great stories but still even after all these years I don't know how to truly handle the emptiness left by a captivating series. It captured a part of in the beginning and the ending didn't release it but kept it for itself and it withered and died.

The only coping mechanisms I've developed from experience is dropping a story and reading the end but that doesn't truly fill that emptiness.

2. CountingNumbers

CountingNumbers Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I usually just do a pain-in-the-@$$, activity involving the story, like making fan art. If I feel bad about the ending I would just draw out a, what-could've-been of the story. The effort put into it helps me let go of the residual feelings. Maybe you can discuss the story with someone else and vent?

moonlhgt likes this.
  3. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    The story never ends! Just the perspective.

4. sithkazar

sithkazar Professional Screw Up

Reading List:
    Link
    This is why fanfiction exists.

wandrer likes this.
  5. moonlhgt

moonlhgt ~Is in la la land~

Reading List:
    Link
    I really have no clue, one of my favorite novels (top 2) that I've been following since 2019 just ended. I'm still trying to take in the shock. I just thought I'd continue to come and read the newest chapter every single day for the rest of my life I guess. I'm pretty unhappy :sushi_sigh:

6. Music of the Muse

Music of the Muse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha that’s true when you like a novel and just got used to it having chapters everyday. It’s would have been
    awesome if the author continue on with some side stories or make a new book with some of the side stories in the original book as main characters. Tho only some will do that which is why I will usually just find other novels that the author has written and see if I like them. I usually just pass on and recommend the book the someone else I guess. And referring back to it something when reading another novel.

moonlhgt likes this.
  7. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    This.

Then I hop to AO3 but there also I read everything.... The empty feeling is for real real..