Discussion Is there any novels at all that managed to push back the 'prophecy' or 'disaster'?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by moneng85, Aug 21, 2022.

Tags:
  1. moneng85

moneng85 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In Transmigration novel types like 'time travel, or 'go into a fiction', they seem to know lots of things, including future world ending disaster.
    As they cannot spread out the future of one reason or another(spreading panic, silenced or was cursed), MC begun making his own force to tackle the situation in the name of 'survival'
    But
    But
    Is there any novels that managed to delay the damn thing, rather than just fast forwarding the disaster in a faster date?

a 20 year old incoming disaster would suddenly strike the world when MC is unprepared, underprepared or when ready

I know Author runs out of ideas and wants to make it chalanging for the MC or the MC will clear all things in the future and deal the disaster with ease
    But it is always the case though?

2. Ruggit

Ruggit Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, a well written novel that simply tries to break as many of these troupes as possible would be a breath of fresh air. IDK if any exist yet though, but I'd like one that goes a lil like this:
    -- MC goes back in time, does the getting op quickly strat for the first 50 chapters, but rather than building close relationships just goes on the news talking about the future and becomes a prophet. Proceeds to indoctrinate the world into his religion to and uses human wave tactics and min-maxing peoples gear to defeat the oncoming disasters. GG no re.

Would probably enjoy it as comedic series since I kinda despise mental games, which is what a title such as this would need to be built around.

ForeLeave Clover likes this.
  3. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In general, prophecies exist so that readers can see them come to fruition so circumventing them altogether is going to work against most stories so this is something that's going to be rare.

I have seen a book do something sort of similar though. It's a historical novel taking place very early in the Song Dynasty back when the Song was a military superpower which ended up conquering all of the splintered Chinese kingdoms. The protagonist transmigrates to become a member of the Song court, but he makes enemies that make it impossible for this to last long. He is compelled to help them despite all this because he knows that resistance against them is doomed to failure, and makes plans accordingly. And then something changes, and the events proceed slightly differently from how he remembers history. At that point, the protagonist realizes that it's possible to change the historical outcome so he switches out all of his carefully laid plans for new ones. It's one of the more startling transformations I've ever seen in a book and it's absolutely glorious.

I disagree. A properly well-written novel wouldn't pay attention to tropes at all. They're a terrible way to build stories, and trying to avoid them is an even worse idea. Tropes should come up if they work naturally in the story, and subversions should be the result of the story flow rather than a goal.

ForeLeave Clover likes this.
  4. amilhs

amilhs Moon Walker

Reading List:
    Link
    Try omniscient reader viewpoint and ending maker~ they're both kr novels~
    :blobparty::blobparty::blobicecreamlove::blobtaco::blobtaco:

5. ryzesalvatore

ryzesalvatore Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I haven't read Omniscient Reader novel. Is it better than its manhwa?

6. amilhs

amilhs Moon Walker

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't read the manhwa of it..
    But I think mostly novels are better than the manhwas~ xD
    Sksksk

ryzesalvatore likes this.
  7. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot of non-apocalypse time travel/transmigration stories try to avert dark futures or use future knowledge to build a better civilization. There are a bunch of these dealing with China's history, since there are a lot of dark periods in it. Haven't seen as many of these dealing with Korean or Japanese history, but I can't read those languages so it's possible these types just don't get translated as much.

Usually in actual apocalypse stories, averting the apocalypse outright isn't in the cards, since the point of this kind of setup is for the protagonist to rise amidst chaos.

8. ryzesalvatore

ryzesalvatore Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never tried to read a novel where I had read the manhwa, or read a manhwa where I had read the novel. So, I don't really have expectation about which one is better.

9. amilhs

amilhs Moon Walker

Reading List:
    Link
    Try reading the novel~ it's more detailed~
    And manhwas I think there's a limitation that they can draw unlike the novel. But right~ there's also censorships in the novel...

ryzesalvatore likes this.