Work commute.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by otaku31, Sep 9, 2022.

1. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    How long and far would you be willing to travel for work? I ride (bike) a distance of approximately 30 kms to and fro for a daily total of nearly 60 kms, each one-way trip taking nearly an hour. Traffic conditions are decent and the road is in good shape for most stretches. Work duration is 7 hours with mandatory biometric attendance. Not really taken with the idea of living nearby as it's a sleepy little town (some would call it a large hamlet). Is it too much, do you think? :hmm:

2. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I used to travel for school and it takes more or less 1 and a half one way, a little more than 2 hours max. While it would have been better if it's shorter, I could handle with such travel.

otaku31 likes this.
  3. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    If you like it, not a problem. I just walk a few kilometers every day for no reason. I would kill myself if I had to suffer in a stuffy car stuck inside the traffic every day. Thankfully, I only have to go to my job like once every two weeks, the rest being done remotely, and when I have to go I take a tram

hypersniper159 and otaku31 like this.
  4. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    I am too lazy to even walk to my college which is about 10 mins of distance....
    Actually apparently I am too lazy to even go to the shop nearby me—

Athy910 and otaku31 like this.
  5. Deleted member 445404

Deleted member 445404 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmmmm
    Travel time from my place to work is maximum 15-20 mins

But for me, I don't want to consume my time just for the travel even how convenient it is,
    I want more free time to rest so I prefer to live near my workplace.
    But if you can handle it, why not go for it Sir @otaku31

otaku31 likes this.
  6. Kairil

Kairil Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it're about 100km traveling each day, done by car. I'd very much appreciate to not have to travel as much, but well ^^

Work is a family business and I'm living with my wife which is too good an accomodation to pass up on :D

otaku31 likes this.
  7. aegis062

aegis062 Chaotic Demon Emperor

Reading List:
    Link
    I know someone who does approximately 12 miles at most which is about 19km total 38km, but he does it with one of those electric bike that goes 26mph which is close 41kmh since we don't have too much traffic and the roads are all flat he gets there in about 20min.

If he feels like pedaling harder than normal he can easily get there faster.

I had a road bike when I was a teen I got an older model for $150 the frame itself the person selling it didn't know it's worth. I probably spent more on pedals shoes and gears and other thing like seat handle bar etc. I road it to school for 5 years my height didn't change much from 7th grade to high school I was already 5'4 and grew to 5"10.

otaku31 likes this.
  8. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    depend on various stuff but this cat prefer not on road more than 2 hours unless the job about roaming around you know like travel agency or truck driver or logistics driver or package driver from online shop or online driver stuff like that~ this cat used to drive 60++ km around one or one and half hour~ there also time it just around 30 km but the road congestion make it 2 hours~ if it possible this cat prefer around 10~20 minutes~
    sigh there lack of public transportation

otaku31 likes this.
  9. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I work at home-office and am very happy with that~

How much I'd be willing to travel to work though? That really depends on how desperate I am for a job... If I desperately need a job as soon as possible, I'd take what I could get, but if it was too far away, I'd keep on searching for a job that was closer to my home~

I think I wouldn't settle in any job that was more than 1h away from my home by bus. Anything more than that would just be a temporary job for an emergency situation.

otaku31 likes this.
  10. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    You know yourself best, my mother travels total 3 hours but she loves her job. I mean she is a totally different person. She hates driving to the core; she grew up in Europe, where it’s not all that convenient to drive. She used to always gripe about driving 30 minutes. Now she lives in America where, by law, there’s more parking spaces than people. But she loves her job so it’s all worth it; she doesn’t complain at all about the ride.

otaku31 likes this.
  11. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    10 minute walk to my workplace.

otaku31 likes this.
  12. Lois.

Lois. ❲.❳ Wooosh.

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd commute from city to city if the pay was good but if my pay is less than what I spend for commute + other miscellaneous expenses, then ain't no way.

otaku31 likes this.
  13. ANonMouse

ANonMouse Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    depends 100% on method and quality of transportation. I am not walking or biking or scooting over fifteen minutes in 40 C temps (which my area has regularly). I'd like trains/subways more if it weren't for all the nutjobs loitering around them, not a huge fan of buses either way though, but I could resort to it as long as I don't need to take too many different ones to get to my destination. Buses are always late, so if you switch buses a lot, you'll be late more often than not. Half hour commute by personal car is good since I have personal space and AC, but the traffic here stretches that to an hour, which makes it barely ok. .

If you enjoy it and the weather permits it, hour long bike ride sounds fine.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2022
    otaku31 likes this.
  14. Deleted member 343155

Deleted member 343155 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Just the 5 minute walk from my dorm to my class tire my lazy ass out:blobmelt:

Athy910 and otaku31 like this.
  15. Quackome

Quackome Member

Reading List:
    Link
    About 20 minutes by car :blobmelt:

otaku31 likes this.
  16. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If the money can afford me to commute and still have spare to spend and save, then I'll do it.
    I'll deal with the side effect maybe next 10-20years which I know I have the money to help myself.

otaku31 likes this.
  17. Fulminata

Fulminata Typo-ist | Officer of Heavenly Inc. |

Reading List:
    Link
    Holy, you're strong! :blobupset:
    I ride train for around 1,5 hours, so it's around 3 hours of commuting :blobsalute:. However, i often do overtime that saw me working waaay past the last train. On the bright side, it'll only take an hour by car at 2 am :aww: (4 hours on office hour tho :blobcry:)

otaku31 likes this.
  18. neshuk

neshuk Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I used to commute to uni, it was 2 hours going and 2 hours returning, for a grand total of 4 hours of commuting five days a week for six years. I didn't mind, per se, since I used the time to revise and study.

Now, I live half an hour away from my workplace by bus, having given up a five-block walking commute to my previous workplace for better working conditions. Again, I don't mind, per se, because I use the time to answer emails from my phone and do other work-related stuff.

But, well, I did find a place to move that was only five blocks away from my previous job. I may not mind commuting, but I would rather spend my time doing something else!

19. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    It takes me one hour now - bus + metro + by foot the rest of the distance. I'd rather keep it within that limit. Now, if I get paid 10 times what I earn now, I'd be willing to commute longer and eventually save some money to rent or buy a small place nearby.

20. Hazel00

Hazel00 Highland Knight | From Karsuk

Reading List:
    Link
    There's no train here or any public transportation. 30 mins using my own vehicle.