Discussion Why do loser MCs who transmigrated suddenly became competent

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by LeniSnow, Sep 14, 2022.

1. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is different from rebirth transmigration where they already experience the same thing.

I'm referring to let's say an unemployed person who the society shuns, a part-timer working multiple jobs but can't escape their predicament. Suddenly gets transmigration and viola! There starts their road to success, implementing all this strategy and leading like they had experience. They could have used that confidence and all the skills back then. I remember reading about a engineering graduate student who work part time due to loan, I get he got education but why isn't he educated enough to use that as a profession(there are industry work that pay better even being unlicensed) instead of working multiple part time jobs that won't pay as much just to have a pitiful background of being overworked and then he got transmigrated as a noble from a poor territory and uses his knowledge to make money, and now he got marketing skills and his services are afforded by the villagers who are supposed to be from a poor village?! Food are worth pennies and construction thousands so how?!?
    And on top of having marketing skills, financial investment skills, agriculture knowledge, engineering knowledge, magic skills, etc. that he is an actor since he can copy how the original body acts. The logic is taking the brains out my head, I tried to be open minded but even with my mind wide open it can't keep it in. How to keep up?

Is it new world, new me? Is mentality that easily to change? Or I should just have use the MC halo for the explanation, shut up and not think too much.
    I just really want to enjoy things but I can't! Hate the way I am.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2022
    Ce and ragingphoenix like this.
  2. Evilseniorbro

Evilseniorbro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sometimes it's because they had very specialized knowledge that they were obsessed with. Then when they reincarnated, they are put in a situations where that's an awe-inspiring thing.

As for the confidence? Some stories have thr MC be meta and realize this is another world a d they're free of all the responsibilities and go all out.

Others realize that their first life was pretty shifty and decided to live differently. Plus the different environment helps them change their outlook on life.

But that's like a few percent. A good example is mushoku tensei.

Most are just the middle school level writing where it's just instant I'm the best hahaha. I suddenly have all the bravery in the world.

Ce, ReaderReader, LeniSnow and 2 others like this.
  3. Parth37955

Parth37955 NU #3, [Dead Inside], Mid-Boss, Dark Dealer Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's probably because the people who read those kinds of novels are losers themselves

LeniSnow likes this.
  4. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. Before being isekai'ed, they were a black company slave whose only exercise is staggering home. Yet, once they get to another world, they know how to fight. Now, if they became mages who don't need to get very physical to fight, just blasting from range, then ok. But for someone who had never handled a real weapon before nor has ever faced off an attacker before, they should have been killed almost immediately.

LeniSnow likes this.
  5. CryWhenFrustrated

CryWhenFrustrated Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s just the way it is. Most OP MC novels are like this to give the average joe audience a sense of replacement and accomplishment.
    There are very few novels that actually show the hardships of medieval truth, disease, and disgustingness because it is not really desirable (in chill world building ones) and it’s harder.
    For example, many romance novels focus on the two main characters falling in love (several tropes) and happy ever after. But very few will give raw, detailed character development with well rounded, real human characters.
    It’s simply easier to make people, things, activities simple. You’ll find plot holes that would destroy the plot entirely, but the author won’t write about it no matter how many notice. Much of the demographic likes that (and ignore the plot holes) and the author can make a quick buck.
    That doesn’t mean that there isn’t full novels or that you’re strange. You just like novels (in that certain genre) that are written with care. Good luck to you!

LeniSnow likes this.
  6. DeirdreH

DeirdreH Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Mediocre stories written by mediocre authors for mediocre audiences.

LeniSnow and hypersniper159 like this.
  7. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    Honestly it would be very interesting to see an mc develop these skills, or at least put these responsibilities onto someone who can do it. The plot, character and world will greatly benefit from it. But the author only focuses on the mc, since he is the POV so there’s no room for anyone or anything else but the plot they’re symbolic of. Honestly, most of the time you can replace mc’s name with something totally irrelevant and nothing will change.

LeniSnow likes this.
  8. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes.

Not sure which story you read that had this setup, but usually if it's someone whose job doesn't match their education it gets an explanation of some sort, probably something like "my family has too much debt and I had to drop out" or the like. Otherwise the answer to why they became competent, when they previously were not, is usually cheats. Lots and lots of cheats.

LeniSnow likes this.
  9. XynoDyno

XynoDyno New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Prob because in the end the novels are just unachievable dreams the author wished they themselves are.

CryWhenFrustrated and LeniSnow like this.
  10. xiao Yi

xiao Yi I told you to forget me but you stayed by my side.

Reading List:
    Link
    To make the readers feel good ah. Like, everything is possible with truck-kun! ╮(╯▽╰)╭

11. fdsgadfgdfgsdg

fdsgadfgdfgsdg Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So the novel doesn't end on chapter one

LeniSnow likes this.
  12. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The reason why these kinds of protagonists exist is pretty obvious: the writer is creating self-inserts for their readers. It's the same reason why so many isekai protagonists have little to no personality: it makes it easier for readers to project themselves onto such characters. The more skills and personality the character has, the more obstacles will get in the way of this projection. I don't think it's ideal for a story because it honestly makes the characters way less interesting, but it's pretty obvious what kind of book this is, and you should temper your expectations accordingly.

The sad thing about all of this is that the fix is really easy - just give the protagonist a background where the skills and knowledges make sense. For example, I've read a book where the protagonist has a lot of scientific knowledge because he's a nuclear physicist. It's just that some writers don't want to put in the proper amount of effort into their stories because they don't care about things like verisimilitude.

CryWhenFrustrated and LeniSnow like this.
  13. DustySpiral

DustySpiral Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I'd say finding a good job in the modern world is a more difficult task than anything the majority of OP Isekai MCs have to deal with. At the very least, the issues Isekai MCs have to deal with are usually more straightforward.

In general, these MCs are not skilled experts at any of those things. They're just good enough to make it work with cheats and plot contrivances. You could say they're playing the video game version of whatever they're trying to do. Can it still be hard? Sure, but nowhere near as hard as it would normally be.

Leadership, for example, is on easy-mode when their followers are endlessly loyal, hyper-competent, and opportunities to pick them up are dropped right in front of the mc.

----------------

Let's put this another way. How many jobs could you, the person reading this, be adequate-to-very-good at if:
    - You could start doing it tomorrow without having to go through the job-finding process / any kind of set-up. Just snap your fingers and POOF you're now a landlord.
    - You had a magical spirit buddy that could turn good ideas into properly developed professional work without further instruction. You know the gist about modern farming? Great, the spirit makes that work without you needing to know all the little details.
    - You could guarantee that everyone else at the company is great at their job, endlessly diligent, and fairly easy to work with (if a little eccentric).

patient and LeniSnow like this.
  14. EnduringConviction

EnduringConviction Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Because living in East Asia is a painful thing?
    工作996,生病ICU
    Work from 9:00am to 9:00pm, 6 days in a week. If you get sick, you'll be in ICU.

LeniSnow likes this.
  15. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    1. They are free from pressure from family and society. Either they're loved/unloved, orphan or not. With only one tract mind to success, they can do everything as they like.
    2. They are pressured to survive or else. Either they're loved/unloved, orphan or not. With only one tract mind to success, they can do everything as they like.

LeniSnow likes this.
  16. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Where do you get the idea they become competent?

You have things backwards, everyone else is incompetent and MC with the intelligence of a brain dead child with lots of plot armor somehow has it work out

People don't realize this, but there is nothing more dangerous than half assed knowledge and no experience.

LeniSnow likes this.