Spoiler Red Laurel Flowers To My Emperor / 나의 황제께 붉은 월계수 꽃을

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by dunnoperson_, Sep 14, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Missy Mischief

Missy Mischief Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The Harem Structure:
    • Karalien—Empress of the Cairos Empire
    • Akasis—Imperial Consort
    • AkaroiAkasis who gave birth to a prince
    • Noble Ladies—ladies who slept with the emperor OR was not given a title but living in the inner palace
    Previous Emperor:
    • 1 Karalien
    • 3 Akaroi
    • 9 Akasis
    • 28 Noble Ladies
    Current Emperor: Ethan Apolious Kairos
    • 3 Akasis—Aris Molb (duke), Suah Kelt (duke), Loel Nearest (Tortilla princess)
    • not identified how many Noble Ladies yet but so far in the manga I saw 6

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
  2. its0k

its0k Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, there was an explanation of the concubine system in the 3rd chapter of manhwa.
    There is Karalien - the empress,
    then Akasis - concubines (probably of high rang),
    then Akaroi - Akasis who gave birth to an Emperor’s children,
    and then Noble Lady - all other women in his harem of lower lineage, maids or commoners.

It looks like only children from Karalien or Akasis could be treated as heirs, but it also could be that a Noble Lady can be appointed as Akasis too if the Emperor wants to rise her status to Akaroi.

We don’t know yet from the manhwa whether ML has an Akaroi and children or not. And whether he has children with any Noble Lady and just doesn’t want to rise it to the position of an heir.
    The harem system in the manhwa is similar to Chinese and Korean harem, just different names mostly.

3. Missy Mischief

Reading List:
    Link
    Ethan's Aides:
    • Aron CleverHead of the Supervisory Dept
    • Lucas SeverCaptain of the Guards
    • Jenom/Jerome/ZenomHead Male Maid
    Loel's Maids:
    • Delia Matemaid that came from the Mate Family who has been serving the Imperial Family for generations to generations and known for their knowledge within the palace (gossips and whatnot) and has 30+ relatives inside the palace including her cousins (she has 12 siblings)
    • Anna Toschicook with skills on par with the head chefs. she got demoted twice cause head chefs got jealous that the emperor only eats what she made since she have good grasps of the emperor's palate
    • Penny Doxin charge of finance and the eldest daughter of the Viscount Dox Family who attained perriage after being a successful merchant
    • Heather Politantin charge of the clothing and the daughter of a Baron Family whose mom is known as the Party Madam of the social circle
    • Sierra Calsonknight and came from the famous military family of the empire but was pushed aside because of her family beliefs the Master of the Sword must be chosen by the knight so she hasnt chosen any Akasis until Loel and was demoted 3 times
    SarahHead Odalisque(maid) of the Cairos Royal Family and served as the maid of Her Majesty Haona (not sure but probably already deceased) and is known to be a neutral in the harem

rock.doll, RakaSarkar, Ac03 and 12 others like this.
  4. twinkle012

twinkle012 Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    more spoliers anyone?

5. Missy Mischief

Reading List:
    Link
    still trying to find anything to spoil :(

Elju and IchtyesAwesomeGoddess like this.
  6. ATrueStory

ATrueStory Villainesses, Historical Shit, Noble Circuses

Reading List:
    Link
    That is possible. The harem system is about one man being served by all the women in the harem. In the Chinese system, women who enter the harem are in hundreds and they undergo a selection process. The numbers get trimmed down as the system progress with women almost reaching to a hundred entering the harem at maybe multiple times a year. And the only fertile man in that place is the emperor. It is reality that many women who enter the harem but do not get se4lcted for 'service' aka sleeping with the emperor. They remain in the Forbidden City until they die or go to the monastery if the emperor dies. So it is realistic that the emperor cant sleep with every woman apart form having his favorite women being 'visited' more often than the women he doesn't like.

Here's a good article/inforgraphicabout it: https://multimedia.scmp.com/culture/article/2154046/forbidden-city/life/chapter_01.html

It's a weird ranking. There is a specific rank for women who bear children but they aren't elevated and are only third rank? In a hypothetical situation, if the Karalien gives birth, she gets demoted?

its0k likes this.
  7. its0k

its0k Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please take it with a grain of salt, because the manhwa translation currently available is close to MTL and they could have interpreted the text incorrectly, also my understanding of the harem system might be wrong in some parts because I’ve only read some articles about Chinese harems, I’m not an expert with in-depth knowledge.

My understanding is that Akaroi is an upgrade only for Akasis, the Karalien should have different treatment as she’s supposed to be recognized as the main person in the harem, sometimes an Empress could have more authority over harems than even her husband, it’s her call whom to punish, whom to befriend and assign as her helpers in some situations, e.g preparing some feast.

Noble ladies possibly could be promoted to Akasis if an Emperor decides to use his powers, but it’s not happening often because their statuses are lower than Akasis and they would be offended, meaning their powerful families would protest and it could lead to a revolt. They also shouldn’t have an option to step from a Noble lady to Akaroi automatically if a child is born, because then there would be too many official competitors for the throne. From what I’ve read before (a mix of real history and other historical fiction, but again take it with a grain of salt, because different eras had different attitudes) ranks of children heavily depend on their mother’s rank, this is why a child from some inner court maid is not considered illegitimate, as she’s considered a Noble lady, but this child is not considered a heir too.

Though just in case, these kids without powerful background were often assassinated to avoid any possible promotion to heirs or getting acknowledged by their father, because a powerful or tyrannical Emperor could still do anything he wanted and ignore traditions or rules if he really neededed something.

8. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    I am still open in learning this system though as you said, it heavily borrows from the Chinese harem system and I have a bit of knowledge about that coz Chinese historical dramas.

That makes sense. The empress is usually the leader of the harem. I am wondering if like in the Chinese system, the Empress is considered as the legal mother of all the Emperor's children. Like everybody knows she didn't give birth to all children of harem women but in all legal sense, she is given the highest respect and authority.
    TLDR - they are taught the difference between the their bio mom (who gave birth to them) and their legal mom (the Empress)

This is consistent with all my readings and watching. After all, every woman in the royal grounds is technically open for the emperor. He's the only one fertile guy in the area. However, sleeping for him is often times a biological urge. Sleeping with a noble lady and a well-connected lady at that bring more complications and the ladies in the harem also know when to exercise their political favor against each other.

re:mother's ranks. I believe that even among the Emperor's children's, the Empress' children are still considered as priority because their bio mother is the considered as the legal wife of the Emperor. The rest are side wives/extra wives. These harem women are dependent whether they are liked (or if their child/ren were liked enough) by the Emperor to raise their status.

Your last point is also plausible, especially if the emperor is wanting for a male heir. IIRC, the Emperor can choose two ways - go for the eldest son or pick his favorite son to be heir.
    [/QUOTE]

its0k likes this.
  9. akera93

akera93 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I see many people discussing this but no real confirmation: Does the harem setting continue until the end and does he continue to keep with those women?

If someone has the right answer and not just an opinion, that would be much appreciated.
    Personally, I don't care for the existence harem setting while he isn't in love with nor sleeping with the MC but I will drop it if he continues to visit those women..

Also, if you're thinking of quoting this and replying to me with some idiotic "oh that's how it is historically" yeah no shit sherlock, I'm not looking for historical accuracy here!! I'm reading a romance story with a strong MC in a pseudo-historical setting so, if this chooses to include harems up until the end, I don't care for it, historical accuracy be damned! that shit is depressing

Manolyaisabella, weirdgirl and Meizey like this.
  10. FictionalPeony

FictionalPeony Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    from what I’ve read so far (I’m now on volume 5) no. He spends most of his nights with fl. If he doesn’t, he’s just way too busy with other matters.

Although an akasis, is not very sociable and as greedy as Aris. Suah mostly spends her time inside her own palace alone.Truthfully, she doesn’t really like the emperor in a romantic way. She develops feelings with a guy named Liam but of course with the situation she’s in, she has to keep it a secret. She becomes friends with Loel and later on, they even throw a charity event together.
    In the later volumes, during a war between Kairos and Emperor Derek, they try to infiltrate the palace and kidnap Loel. Ml and Ivan gets wind of this and Ivan swears his loyalty to ml. While ml asks Ivan to protect fl with his life. Loel manages to escape and kills Kane (Kane is the brother of Aris). Loel and Ivan set to go to where the war is happening. From a distance everyone in the army think that Loel as a reincarnation of the goddess of victory calling her Francia. When Derek sees Loel from a distance, Derek smiles and commands his army to retreat. Thus ending the war between the two countries. The Molb family becomes a disgraced family after the war (mtl again was confusing and didn’t say much)
    Derek was fl’s past fiance from childhood. Although Derek didn’t decide to end the engagement, both parties didn’t complained about it as both knew that Derek even though he was the 5th prince at the time had an ambition to become the king. After the war, negotiations were need to be made. His aide, goes and seeks audience to Loel. The aide disrespects Loel by calling her princess (not calling her by her present title which is akasis). Loel calls the aide out on it and asks not to bring up the past as she only serves one emperor now. The aide gives her a necklace and other gifts. The necklace symbolized Derek’s promise to Loel and their engagement before. Loel understood that the necklace was something that was promised from the two so she accepted. Later on, ml finds it and becomes jealous which leads to snu.

During the charity event I mentioned, Derek goes and holds Loel hostage. (Right from here, mtl becomes confusing) he holds Loel hostage without the knowledge of his aide and bargains with the ml for better negotiations for his country.

11. ISTP23

ISTP23 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you so much!!!!!

FictionalPeony likes this.
  12. Macarol

Macarol Click on my signature for a surprise

Reading List:
    Link
  13. mozzybites

mozzybites Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    No, people are just explaining what the “levels” are in the harem. He doesn’t have kids and I don’t think the author would take the route considering in the second chapter I think MC talks about how the ml must’ve had it hard since his father (previous emperor) had a huge harem and a lot of kids (whether they were MLs biological siblings or half siblings idk) were killed and crap. So I doubt ML would be trifling around if he had kids (bc of ✨trauma✨) . This is all just an assumption tho, so take it with a grain of salt. But I’m fairly certain this is correct.

Someone said he doesn’t. So idk if you’re just assuming he does bc it’s his job or if one of yous are wrong. The other person said he just spends his nights with MC and when he doesn’t he is working.

Someone said he didn’t sleep with anyone else after meeting FL.

14. Missy Mischief

Reading List:
    Link
    nope he still has no kids... if he did then the Akasis who gave birth to a prince would have been called Akaroi but so for he only have Akasis Loel, Akasis Anri and Akasis Suah

nicomcla1995 and mozzybites like this.
  15. mozzybites

mozzybites Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    One thing I LOVEEE about this manhwa is the girl bosses that are serving our MC!! They’re all intelligent and hardworking women!! It’s so rare for the knights position to not just be a man, much less the second ML, so I’m incredibly happy that we get a full lineup of women with specialities. We don’t just get maids but women with different skill sets!!

16. ATrueStory

Reading List:
    Link
    Fair point. However, I guess it gonna boil down to semantics on what he does in the FL's bedroom. Is he literally just sleeping and spending time with her or the metaphorical sleeping with the usual bodily fluids? Since there are only two of them in the room, they are the only ones to know. I feel the whole palace is brimming with curiosity wondering if they are doing the dded or not. And I'm sure the rest of the harem are super nosy and curious as well.

Same. I know a lot of female readers are turned off by the power imbalances in harem. For me, though, it's a good opportunity to meet different and varied female characters, their identities and their reaction to their situations. A harem can be a contradiciton of all sorts, you have gentle women, women pushing the envelope, women leaders in their own space and so forth. And a lot of readers might not realize it but it's the onlyl place in a very male-dominated culture where women can thrive and hold the power to literally birth and shape the new generation - something men will never have the ability of.

icay1x, Inasible, Shion Lee and 2 others like this.
  17. definitelyprocrastinating

definitelyprocrastinating Member

Reading List:
    Link
    That's exactly how I feel!! I'm so sick of these novels/manhwa's where only the ML is experienced and the FL is a virgin. And then it's framed like 'oh, even though I've slept with so many women, the FL is different and her body makes me feel all these new feelings and the other women were just sex'. Author's somehow feel like it's okay to demean the other women and make them seem like scheming shrews while applauding the ML for appreciating the FL like being faithful isn't actually just the bare minimum.
    I'd love a story where they are both experienced and the ML doesn't trash talk the previous partner's like they were just used for their bodies and politics.

Also unpopular opinion but I don't care if it's historically accurate, we don't read manhwa's for historical accuracy and half the plot is improbable anyway, why is the harem the only thing that has to be 'true to history'

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
  18. Meizey

Meizey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Finally someone explained what I wanted to say, but couldn't be bothered anymore because people are just getting angry :X3::X3::X3:

19. orange_cat

orange_cat Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Sleeping means actually sleeping. Like taking a nap. He didn’t sleep with them after having sex.

icay1x, babayagu and lune_r like this.
  20. Emma626

Emma626 626 flavors of love, none for you~

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't know if it's the author or the translation that is confusing.

Inasible likes this.