The Falcon and the Winter Soldier

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by frustratedguy109, Sep 23, 2022.

Tags:
  1. frustratedguy109

frustratedguy109 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I recently finished watching this series and was reminded of why I stopped in the first place. I found the whole thing terribly confusing.

So during the "Blip", half of humanity vanished for a couple years before coming back. At first I thought the refugees were the returned people, but later it seems they're not. Apparently they're people who've been displaced since everyone is back... which means they're squatters who've been living in other people's homes?

The movie didn't seem to make much sense in this regard. On the one hand we see the difficulties Sam (the Falcon) faces in trying to get a loan since he disappeared in the Blip so he has no credit or way of showing financial income. Then now apparently the ones who didn't disappear have it harder? I guess it's just hard on everyone.

Then we see Karli Morgenthau and the Flag Smashers going around stealing and causing chaos everywhere. Apparently they stood against the returned people and were siding with the refugees (I was really confused here because I still thought the refugees were the returned people). Then they go and rob a government warehouse of food and medicines for refugees in order to give them to where they were going in the first place?

Only in the final episode did I realize that apparently the governments are driving people from their homes in order to give the homes back to the returned people — or that's what I think was happening anyway... I'm not sure I understand the Flag Smashers' goals and ideals.

So they want things to go back to how they were before everyone returned. How? Killing all the returned people? If not, then have the returned people be the refugees instead? No matter what, if two people are trying to lay claim to the same residence, someone's going to end up on the street. And to me, it seems like the original owners have the proper claim. If the 'new' residents have a problem, they should take it up with whoever sold them the house.

To me, their motivation seems to be, "Yeah, we stole your house while you were gone! Now you're back and we got kicked out! That's wrong! We stole it so it belongs to us!"

2. lygarx

lygarx Lazy Translator

Reading List:
    Link
    It is all trash. Such is the way of Didney werld

3. Kodiak

Kodiak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Objection, it's Marvel, not Disney. It's a whole different realm of crazy. Lol.

Also, the previous movie with Thanatos had some major plotholes to begin with, so naturally the movie following it would lack cohesive sense.

4. qwerty1

qwerty1 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't like the show, but this seems like a very bizarre way to think of it. Some of these people could have moved into new houses and homes and sold off their previous homes or moved to different countries and have lived 5 years of their lives in a new place. Suddenly the previous people come back, now what? Do they just give up the home that they may have bought and the past 5 years of their lives?

It's an interesting and difficult ethical question, but to boil it down to what you said is pretty strange. That being said, the show was a massive waste of potential and I don't recommend you watch anything else from Disney Plus, they've all been pretty shit imo.

5. theilikepie

theilikepie Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You know we have enough land in this world to give people homes. It's just that the top 1 percent hoard all the resources. Honestly karli should have went hackerman and distributed all that money from rich peeps

6. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    i mean...yeah, that's exactly their thinking. Why do you find that odd? To them, these people were dead. Many loved ones were gone, bu now they're suddenly back by some miracle and we're all expected to pretend things aren't drastically different? How would you feel if your wife's dead husband came back from the dead and you're suddenly faced not only with your wife and step kids choosing him over you but ALSO being forced out of your home?

Shit causes problems for a lot of people. Its unreasonable all around. The flag smashers had legit reasons to go awol. Its just an insane situation. They went way too far, but its an understandable reason. The returners were never expected to come back. Now that they had. no one knew how to deal with it.

They were all legally dead, so no they have no claim and its unreasonable to say they do because this isn't just one or two cases...its WORLDWIDE. Its on a much larger scale than any we've known before. Sorry mate, but you'll have to live somewhere else.

These people gotta be treated like any other immigrant. Otherwise, fights break out over property claim. And that's just the least of the problems. As i said, no one wants to see their wife having moved on. Or husband being hung up on a previously dead woman suddenly come back alive. This was gonna end in all out war one way or another

land isn't the problem, its the cost of building the houses. Also, in this situation you would want YOUR home. Which may already be owned by someone else, causing disputes and anger.

Being declared legally dead can be reversed on a small scale, but how do you handle the sheer number of people here? Remember, all their assets are gone. Probably either repossessed or distributed to others. How do you just...get those back? And their MENTAL STATE.

Like, most people in these situations would probably break down.

Also, redistributing riches from the wealthy to the poor wont work. It requires an ideal society where people are kinder and more giving. But society isn't so. People like being rewarded for their effort. It allows them luxuries less hard working individuals wont have

You wanna take that away, you lose all motivation for people to excel and progress. I wont work hard for the sake of a better tomorrow of humanity. I work for a better tomorrow for myself and my own loved ones. Yall don't like capitalism, but its what suits humanity the best as we currently stand.

We'd need to all undergo a certain enlightening to change this. We could do away with the monetary system entirely right now if we all agreed to be generous, kind and willing to forego certain excess indulgences and luxuries. But we ain't gonna do that.

Mifried likes this.
  7. Evilseniorbro

Evilseniorbro Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I just stopped watching mcu after endgame. The only other movies I watched after that were the Spiderman movies because those were more like an epilogue resolving Peter's story.

The decade buildup is over and they decided to continue the stories far beyond the point where I care.

8. frustratedguy109

Reading List:
    Link
    @qwerty1 @Cupcake Ninja
    Yes, what I said may have been strange and a bit extreme. But put yourself in the shoes of the returned people. In their viewpoint, their homes really have been stolen.

I understand that there are legitimate reasons for why the Flag Smashers exist and I sympathize a bit. I just sympathize with the returned people more. These are people who lost their whole lives in the blink of an eye (to them). They've got nothing but the clothes on their back; no family, no jobs, no homes, no savings. At least the refugees have family, jobs, and savings.

The more cynical side of me says that this is the exact reason why it's better to support the ones who've been there the whole time versus the returned people. Helping the returned people would be a huge drain on resources until they get back on their feet. That's exactly why I thought that the refugees were the returned people at first.

At any rate, both sides make up exactly 50% of the population. No matter what decision is made, a lot of people were going to be unhappy. I guess the governments decided that supporting the returned people would result in less unhappiness. It seems like a choice between a war with the half that disappeared or discontent (and probably smaller conflicts) with the ones that didn't disappear.

The governments evicting people to restore the returned people to their homes should only be a small part of their policy. To me, taking such a step means that they also need to find whoever 'inherited' the assets and make them cough it up again. If the house was sold to someone, that someone should get their money back. If the governments did not have anything planned other than what's shown, then they are very incompetent.

9. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    bro how would they plan for this shit? why would they have, even? just saying, its not incompetence that I'm not preparing for an alien invasion, its just something so damn unlikely and ridiculous that its not even in consideration.

10. frustratedguy109

Reading List:
    Link
    I'm not saying that they should have been prepared for the Blip. I'm just saying that the governments would be incompetent if they called the job done after evicting people and then deporting them. (I'm not even sure why they're deporting them since they're legal residents. And if every country is deporting people, they're just exchanging one batch of refugees for another.)

I'm suggesting that the governments' next step should be to get the refugees their money back from whoever sold them the houses. And keep going up the chain until they get to the people who 'inherited' the assets of the 'deceased' people.