Spoiler I Want to Be a Receptionist of The Magic World!

Discussion in 'Spoilers' started by peanutbutter_J, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Yrra

Yrra Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's updated! Will somebody be so kind to translate it

2. aneliese

aneliese Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    To recap: In the first chapters of the sequel, Zenon visited Harré and invited Nanalie to attend a foreign royal wedding as Rockmann's companion. The wedding was between Princess Carolla of Sheera and a man of lower status.

Carolla is the foreign princess who nearly got engaged to Rockmann once. But Rockmann rejected Carolla at the masquerade ball, telling her that she should marry the man she truly loved instead. So that's what Carolla ended up doing, and Rockmann was happy for her sake when he later heard about the engagement.

In the newly posted chapters from sequel book 2:

Nanalie is heading on a work trip abroad to locate some mermaid scales for Doctor Petros, who needs them for medicinal purposes. However, Nanalie is not planning to use her own family connection to the Sea King to get these mermaid scales, but rather to pick them up on the coast of Seleina where they are often washed up.

The next three chapters are written from Zenon's perspective. Zenon is attending Carolla's wedding celebrations on a luxury boat abroad. He's accompanied by his younger sister Mislina and Rockmann.

There are also other royals onboard, such as princess Bella of Seleina and princess Degneah of Vestanu. (Those two have appeared in the story before: Bella when Nanalie was abducted by the sea monster, and Degneah when Nanalie met Rockmann's baby brother.) Degneah is still romantically interested in Rockmann and has been chasing him all day.

Prince Koch of Vestanu, who is Degneah's brother, rudely asks why Zenon is attending instead of his older brother who is the Crown Prince of Doran. Zenon thinks that Koch is like an evil version of Rockmann with an even more twisted personality. Rockmann is ignoring Koch.

Zenon's younger sister Mislina and Bella aren't getting along either. Mislina dislikes it when Bella is trying to flirt with her brothers. (Mislina also considers Rockmann to be her brother, though he's actually her cousin.)

Zenon remembers the invitation he'd given to Nanalie. Nanalie had declined the wedding invitation since she was busy with work and also not really comfortable socializing with royals. Zenon thought that was a pity since it would have been a good opportunity to introduce Nanalie to everyone as Rockmann's partner.

The Prime Minister of Sheera is chatting with Rockmann and trying to persuade him to marry his own daughter or perhaps some other noblewoman from Sheera.

Elsewhere on the boat, there is a commotion as there was apparently a collision with a tourist boat, causing some people to be thrown overboard. The other royals are rushing over to take a look, while Zenon thinks it's inappropriate to go looking at people in distress. But Zenon and Rockmann eventually head over there since there seems to be quite a commotion and a strange atmosphere surrounding the rescued people.

Two people have been rescued from the sea; one of them is a girl whose skin is shimmering strangely in different colors. The royal crowd are mesmerized by the girl's beauty and wondering if she's a foreign princess. Aside from her shimmering skin, she has light blue hair and is wearing a revealing Seleina outfit exposing her stomach. (Yep, it's Nanalie. I'm guessing that the shimmery skin is because she got the mermaid scales all over herself in the collision...)

The vice captain is so taken by Nanalie's beauty that he's even leaning in to kiss her, but Rockmann uses (or was prepared to use) a freeze spell on him.

As Nanalie regains consciousness, she catches sight of Rockmann in the crowd and shouts in horror, as though she'd seen a monster: "Noooooooo Rockmann~~!"

Both Zenon and Rockmann sigh. Zenon remembers how he once asked Rockmann why he likes Nanalie. Rockmann had answered that it's because of how funny Nanalie is.

...So, I guess Nanalie will not be happy to discover that she's literally crashed the royal wedding. :) (Or perhaps it should be said that the royal wedding crashed *her*.)

Last edited: Aug 23, 2022
    syofiaa, cosmiclatte, Opelia and 12 others like this.
  3. passerby98

passerby98 Member

Reading List:
    Link
    What timeline is this? is this after the time travel part?

aneliese likes this.
  4. CreativeCriticalThinker

CreativeCriticalThinker Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you for the future spoilers.

It's been a while since I read this manga/novel... One of the first Fantasy Romance Works I ve ever discovered.
    I was invested in this story because of the MC Nanarie/Natalie who was portrayed as a hard working ambitious commoner at the beginning by the narrative. Starting to get annoyed at the trope that the FL is a hidden lost secret princess from another kingdom.
    Kinda undermines the story by telling us the protagonist can't be an ordinary girl doing great things regardless of class in this genre :(
    I did enjoy her mundane interactions with other characters :)

But I had to drop this because I personally really couldn't stand that the ML Rockman/Alves Lockmann has to be her ML.
    To me he is a privileged bored yandere prince enjoying teasing/toying/bullying/attacking her and showing off his superiority.
    I don't actually care why he did this, doesn't excuse that he had fun at her expense.
    The way I see it, the FL struggles more in her life than the Royal ML feeling miserable for his love towards his 'toy'.
    And I don't find it cute at all that Alves always has to grab Nanari/Natalie's face as a funny running gag!
    The explaination of him "bullying her was a way to keep his distance." because of social status, helping her to control her powers or whatever melodrama reasons; doesn't make him more symapathetic to me. Sorry.
    Our FL/MC has to pick up a fight with him because the writing says she a water/ice mage being naturally attracted/hostile towards a fire mage. In a way they are both obsessed with each other in a weird toxic way. Wish she would never loses her cool against him.
    That Jerk always has the upper hand in most of their petty confrontations or (violent) physical fights.
    Nanarie/Natalie never really wins againt him in any ways.....:(
    It is easy to redeem him because he is the Bryonic Hero who can protect his special FL of getting kidnapped by criminals/conspirators.
    I don't find their dynamic romantic and healthy at all. It's the classic love-hate-rivalry relationship that I find problematic and abusive.

There are alternatives to this story where the commoner or lower ranking FL is superior than the childish Rival 'Prince ML' who is really nice, respectful and non violent towards her: LAST GAME (Manga) + OBSERVING ELENA ENVOY (Novel/Webtoon).
    I also prefer the depicted romantic dynamic between a Water Mage FL and Fire Mage ML in THE EVIL LADY'S HERO.

I know there is an audience really liking this kind of story and I understand/respect that.
    But Prince Alves still pisses me off just like the Violent Psycho Manchild Tsukasa Domyoji in BOYS OVER FLOWER :mad:
    I was interested in this plot premise because of the Heroine Nanari/Natalie NOT Alves:unsure:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    syofiaa, lostross and aneliese like this.
  5. aneliese

Reading List:
    Link
    I think that's a completely understandable perspective; readers have different comfort zones and I know others have also had issues with Rockmann's behavior towards Nanalie, particularly during their student days. I personally enjoy verbally bickering couples, but only within reasonable limits (no outright abuse) and there were also times when I've had big issues with Rockmann's behavior. The physical fights were intended to drain Nanalie's excess magic; he didn't start fighting with her physically until her hair turned blue. But the question is whether he actually had to go as far as he did during their fights. I also feel he could have done something to improve Nanalie's social standing or at least not worsen it. Sure, he couldn't show favoritism towards Nanalie since that would incite jealousy, but acting disrespectfully towards Nanalie also encouraged other people to do the same.

Rockmann is aware of that he's caused some issues between Nanalie and other people. There's a web novel side story where the female knight Weldy is grumbling about Nanalie. Rockmann notices that Weldy seems to dislike Nanalie, and understands that it's his fault, but also thinks that: "There has never been a time when a man has intervened in a quarrel between women and successfully settled it." So he decided against saying anything to Weldy.

I think the situation with Weldy is one of Rockmann's worst blunders, as Weldy is seriously in love with him and he's sometimes flirted with her in front of Nanalie. Weldy hasn't appeared in the sequel yet, so I don't know if she's realized by now that Rockmann's in love with Nanalie. But I'm guessing it'll eventually end the same way as with Maris' unrequited love for Rockmann. So one of my biggest issues with Rockmann is that he allowed these unrequited love situations with both Maris and Weldy to continue, even though it was bound to end with heartbreak for the girls. I don't feel as sorry for Weldy as for Maris, though, since Weldy is pretty annoying. And Maris has thankfully found a new love interest now.

However, there's also a side story from Benjamine's perspective during their school days where she is worrying about Satanás possibly abandoning her after graduation. She runs into Rockmann and ends up confiding in him about that. Rockmann comes across as very compassionate there, to the degree that it was almost jarring to compare that version of Rockmann with how Nanalie usually experiences him. This conversation takes place right before graduation, so there's some talk about what kind of life everyone will have in the future. Rockmann mentions how he'd been debating between either becoming a Knight or serving as a temple priest (who cannot marry). From Nanalie's perspective, he comes across as a privileged aristocrat, but for Rockmann it's more like being trapped in a golden cage. And he clearly isn't interested in marrying anyone if he can't have the person he loves since he was literally considering a profession which doesn't allow marriage.

So I do think the web novel version comes across significantly better in that regard since we get more side stories written from Rockmann's perspective and other people close to him, which provide a better idea of his real personality and motivations.

In the sequel, some of these issues resurface. Weldy doesn't appear there, but instead there is a female aristocrat called Treize who allows herself to be possessed by a demon in the hope of being able to become Rockmann's lover. Rockmann doesn't seem to have interacted much with Treize before, so at least that wasn't a case of him having flirted with Treize and encouraged her crush on him. And in the end, it's Rockmann who ends up paying the biggest price for the Treize situation. To save both Nanalie and Treize, he allows the demon to possess his body, which drains all his magic power. So Rockmann has to temporarily share his body with a demon and is left without any magic afterwards. He later regains his magic, but there are apparently still some lasting effects from the demon possession.

The issue of violence towards Nanalie is also raised, since the demon (in Rockmann's body) tries to kill Nanalie. So Rockmann has to watch his own body hurt Nanalie without being able to stop himself. It's one of the rare moments where we see Rockmann enraged and cursing at the demon afterwards. I wish we'd gotten a Rockmann perspective there, because he seemed really furious about it and I think it would have been very interesting to know his thoughts about everything that happened, especially considering his own past physical fights with Nanalie.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2022
    syofiaa, charisa, Opelia and 7 others like this.
  6. CEYONCE19

CEYONCE19 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree, the way Alves/Alois dealt with and interacted with Nanalie was problematic at times. Still, I really wish we could get the story from his perspective because I think he is just fascinating. The are so many things in the story that Nanalie just isn't the most reliable perspective because she is either involved when an incident has already occurred or she is unaware of what is going on at all. Rockmann keeps so much of his

Can you give a more detailed summary of the conversation between Benjamine and Rockmann. That conversation occurred during their school days right? I find it interesting because after they rescue Nanalie from the Sea Kingdom, I believe its Benjamine that raises the question to Nanalie about if she actually hates Rockmann or if she has ever heard him say that he hates her, which is one of the few times Nanalie really starts to evaluate her relationship with Rockmann, if only briefly.

aneliese likes this.
  7. lostross

lostross Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So can anyone give me spoiler who is nanalie end up with and how?

aneliese likes this.
  8. aneliese

Reading List:
    Link
    The story is still ongoing, but Nanalie's ultimate love interest is pretty much guaranteed to be Rockmann. They have confessed to each other, though they aren't quite a couple yet. At the end of novel 3, Nanalie also had a dream about the future, where she was strongly implied to be married to Rockmann and had a daughter together with him. That dream was probably meant to show what will happen in the future.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
    charisa, Mirahsa, CEYONCE19 and 2 others like this.
  9. lostross

Reading List:
    Link
    So that man, finally confessed? Or nanalie 'dense got cure?

Mirahsa likes this.
  10. CEYONCE19

Reading List:
    Link
    No, funny thing is Nanalie confesses to him first.

At the end of novel 3 after they defeat the demon and hold a party, Nanalie and Rockmann are dancing together. There she decided to confess her love for him, thinking he wouldn't feel the same way but she was still willing to come forward with it (with some encouragement from Maris). The confession catches him by surprise and Nanalie tries to run off so she doesn't have to repeat it, which results in them both falling over. Nanalie lands on top of Rockman and they share an accidental kiss. Nanalie freaks out and tries to get off him but he holds her closer and confesses he loves her too.
    And that's how they become an unofficial official couple XD.

YuviellaHart, charisa, Opelia and 6 others like this.
  11. lostross

Reading List:
    Link
    Thank you, but is the ml like nanalie since the academy days?

Mirahsa likes this.
  12. CEYONCE19

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I think its safe to say he has liked her since the academy days. There are posts further back that explain it, but during the sequel with the time travel incident to stop Trieze from changing the past, Nanalie and younger Rockmann interact. He never really forgot her and I think it played a role in his feelings developing further or even his initial interest in her. Also, there is a side story during their school days, where another noble boy was interested i n Nanalie but Rockmann discourages him from pursuing her.

Its hard to tell when exactly Rockmann's feelings for Nanalie turned into love since he very rarely expresses his true feelings and intentions. We only get glimpses here and there, and sometimes outside persepctives (like Zenon & Nikeh) give us clues. I feel like in a lot of ways he is as dense as she is, but mostly because I think he doesn't think they can end up together.

13. CEYONCE19

Reading List:
    Link
    https://comic-walker.com/contents/detail/KDCW_FL00200866010000_68/

Chapter 25 part 1 of the manga is out. This is where Nanalie meets Rockmann's mother and new baby brother. The baby will unintentionally turn Rockmann into a child who is stuck to Nanalie's hand. Nanalie also kinda gets a glimpse into how Rockmann's childhood was and his relationship with Dr Aristo. I think this chapter will end either the rock paper scissor match between little Rockmann & Nanalie or with her waking up to find adult Rockmann in her bed.

14. CEYONCE19

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a spoiler, but I'm wondering if this has an anime in the works. There have been a number of new animes in this kind of genre coming out (Bibliophile Princess, Endo and Kobayashi Live! The Latest on Tsundere Villainous Liesolette, I'm the Villainous, So I'm Taming the Final Boss, etc.)
    The author has been quiet at least from what I have seen in Twitter.

Mirahsa and aneliese like this.
  15. aneliese

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the next anime from this genre will probably be "Silent Witch" since it seems to receive a lot of extra promotion from the publisher recently, such as an official Twitter account, competitions, merchandise, etc. So it seems pretty likely that it will also receive an anime in the near future.

Silent Witch has a few similarities with Receptionist—it's also a web novel series originally published on Syosetu and its manga version is serialized in the same magazine as the Receptionist manga. It has a magic school setting as well. But I think it's a different type of story, so it wouldn't feel repetitive to have both series turned into anime.

So far, Receptionist hasn't really been getting the same amount of promotion. But the Receptionist manga also seems to be selling well and received an audio drama with the last volume. The audio drama featured some well-known voice actors such as Kayano Ai as Nanalie, who has played leading roles in various anime series. So I think that's a promising sign that there might be an anime adaptation at some point, in which case they could reuse the same voice actors.

They might be waiting for the Receptionist story to end first, but many other ongoing series have been animated, so that isn't necessarily a hindrance. They could always start by producing a first season of the anime and end it with Nanalie and Rockmann's accidental kiss at the party.

The author of the novels (Mako) seems pretty busy with her personal life nowadays—she apparently got married last year and moved across the country, then mentioned she would be moving again soon... I think she has a regular day job as well and has stated that writing is her hobby. So that's probably why the web novel hasn't been updated as frequently this year as before.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2022
    Opelia, CEYONCE19 and princess40286 like this.
  16. CEYONCE19

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh I see! Oh wow I wasn't aware that Mako had so much going on. Happy for her!

Yes, I have been seeing a lot of manga series I have read or am reading starting to have animes come through and with the audio drama I was hoping that's a good sign that maybe an anime for it was on the horizon. But I guess we will have to wait and see.

Oh and thank you! I saw a post with the Silent Witch cover on it but I didn't save it. I'm not familiar with the story or characters yet but one of them kind of looked like Alois so I did a double take. I couldn't find the post again and could not recall what it was called.

Mirahsa and aneliese like this.
  17. CEYONCE19

Reading List:
    Link
    syofiaa likes this.
  18. Mirahsa

Mirahsa Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guyss can you give spoilers

More spoilers*

19. HyudetaFiorealilith

HyudetaFiorealilith Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, basically I don't Jpese so It's really sad when can't read the novel myself, and because there're official English novels on Amazon so ofc no one translates novels into English online. I had thought the manga is dropped too but luckily you guys could find the 2 next chapters on the Chinese website. But waiting for manga is still so long huhu.

So here is the link I could find. If there're any other links we can read, hope that u guys'll share
    https:// m(.)imitui(.)com/manhua/ woxiangzaimofashijiedangjiedaixiaojie /

Mirahsa likes this.
  20. Mirahsa

Mirahsa Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Guysss i heard they announced that the english manga is having trouble finding the next raw chapter. Actually, i read it in mangabat I commented already but it seems like tthey didnt see it so, can guys pls tell them its in comic walker or tell me where the manga is originally translated in. Thanks! This is my favorite manga i hope they don’t drop the english translations! Im really bad at other languages :/ so yeah pls and again, thankssss!

Oh yea r guysss can someone post the spoilers where we see the veeeery much confident lockman regret his actions that caused Natalie/ Nanalie getting some misfortunes? I think that im not the only one liking these scenes, i hope im not the only one

Oops accidentally posted the same thing :,)

Ughh how to get rid of ittttt