Does anyone else get annoyed when you see a new update and it's 1/10th of a chapter?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Tenome, Sep 24, 2022.

?

Does seeing a constant stream of partial chapter releases annoy you?

1. Yes

82.4%
  2. No

17.6%
  1. Tenome

Tenome Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I feel like groups do this just to say "we have thousands of releases" and to increase their visibility/beg for Patreon bucks.

I'm talking about this garbage. You look at a series and say "Oh wow, 150 chapters have been TL'd!" and then you look at the actual releases and see they're on chapter 30 or something. Why not just make a post for chapter when it's done? I wish NU would curb this kind of behavior, but I'm guessing a lot of this is because of NU's automated release post system.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    Aqua_the_idiot likes this.
  2. Cupcake Ninja

Cupcake Ninja [Kind Sage][Lord Benevolence][ The Great Paragon]

Reading List:
    Link
    but how long are these parts? if its around 2k i forgive it but 1k and you can fuck off

3. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I didn't pay for it then I'll just be grateful. The translator spent time doing that and there are just times when they also have events in their life where they can only devote certain amount of time especially if the chapters are long. They usually tell you why they cut it to parts.

That's why I read the raws if it's ongoing translation, I make way.

4. MangoGuy

MangoGuy Rambling Mango

Reading List:
    Link
    As someone who has read Bakatsuki novels, I got no opinions.

asriu likes this.
  5. simak

simak Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Glad that gratitude isn't passe.

6. OnlineHikikomori

OnlineHikikomori Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It’s a bit annoying if they take a very long time in between updating (like weeks for a third of a chapter) but I think it’s worse when people split chapters in their translations, but they don’t label them as split. So you’ll see that the novel has originally like 100 chapters but somehow the translator is on chapter 400 and not even done yet! It’s frustrating because I don’t even know how far in the story we are yet and it’s hard to move to mtl because I have no idea what chapter I’m actually on. I wish they’d split the translations like 1.1, 1.2 compared to that.
    However I still read it for free so I guess beggars can’t be choosers but yeah I think that’s more frustrating imo.

7. Blossom_Honey

Blossom_Honey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah it was pretty annoying for me to find where to continue in the raws when a translator dropped a translation of a novel I really liked. Thankfully, it was towards the earlier chapters so it was just a matter of jumping around a bit, but as a lazy person, a bit annoying.

I think SleepyTranslations is one of the ones I remember notorious for this. They'll be up to chapter 200~300 when there's only about 100~ lol. Can't imagine being in that position when you want to continue using raws/MTL.

I've actually seen an opposite situation to this case where there's only about 40~ chapters on NU when it actually has around 130~ and it's completed - they just condensed multiple chapters into really long ones so I don't know how that fits in with this case lol.

But as for chapter splitting: if the chapter lengths are really short, I guess I would be kind of frustrated especially if they take long to update - I'm going to just wait to stockpile them anyway so it just feels a bit redundant to do it for frequent updates. But in the end, I'm not paying so no complaining, I guess.

8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    I don't have a problem as long as they don't renumber the chapters. Though 10 may be a bit much, 2-4 is reasonable depending on the size of the chapters. I mean end of the day, I know what to expect

9. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    Why not filter the release?
    Why not translate yourself?
    Why not wait for the entire chapter to complete and binge read it?

All this complaint just tells me that this translator did a great job in translating.
    And good luck thinking that this will force the translator to translate faster.

LeniSnow likes this.
  10. Tenome

Tenome Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, I sense something about this post.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ah, that explains it.

"All this complaint just tells me that this translator did a great job in translating."

[​IMG]

In any case, my main complaint is about NU clutter mostly, not TLs releasing 1/10th of a chapter. I wish NU releases like this would be "consolidated" once the full chapter is released so we don't get "we're on chapter 5000 of a series that only has 200 chapters!" situations.

Sabruness and ReaderReader like this.
  11. nonononononono

nonononononono NONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONONO

Reading List:
    Link
    That's a terrible example,
    You should screenshot https://www.novelupdates.com/series/my-portable-gaming-girlfriend/?pg=6#myTable
    And this
    https://www.novelupdates.com/series/endless-silver-weapons/
    Lmao

Also better provide links as well.
    https://www.novelupdates.com/group/otaku-translation/
    Why are you scared to share the link?
    Afraid that people might discover something you don't want them to know?

12. Spirit Needle

Spirit Needle Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I voted no because honestly if they don't make the cut way too weird I don't mind. Honestly I read a novel which a chapter reached up to 18k words, 16k words, and novels that had an average of like 8k per chapter. I remember the translator saying they are busy with school and stuff, so I would totally understand.

As for the rest that don't really have an excuse, I'll let it fly and everything I've read had pretty good pauses between chapter updates. I don't give money unless it's a real amazing novel. As long as it doesn't affect the content of the novel, I don't mind clicking the next chapter button more than normal. Unless I'm paying for it then I expect the chapters to actually reach the standard amount of words per chapter (2-3k).

And I also prefer completed ones due to my huge consumption of chapters lmao, but usually do follow a couple ongoing ones. Honestly, as a Chinese novel reader, I feel like I'm very lenient because if I wasn't, I'd probably run out of things to read.

Overall, I do understand why it annoys people though. Happy reading~

FlufflyLittleRabbit likes this.
  13. astralmech

astralmech [ ✨ ~ snooze ] [ kr translator ] [ jpn native ]

Reading List:
    Link
    As long as each chapter is 1000+ words and the translator makes it very clear that they're splitting chapters, I have no problems. Sometimes novel chapters can be 4500-5000 words and it's just not feasible to release a whole chapter in one go, especially if you've got real life commitments. While I personally prefer releasing full chapters to match the official raws for neatness' sake, I can completely understand why some people might not.
    But sometimes I see released "chapters" that are less than 500 words without being labeled as split, and that does frustrate me, I won't lie.

14. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    hey as long as they make clear it as part~ not chapter 135 (xxx part yyy) that actually just chapter 10....lul~

historicalbean likes this.
  15. historicalbean

historicalbean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ngl it is annoying sometimes. Especially if the chapters are short. But I always pace myself when I’m reading novels that are split up like that. I find a good place to pause and then stack chapters for a few months & read something else in the meantime.

16. preciousmine

preciousmine New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think it's common for everyone.

17. whimsandfantasies

whimsandfantasies Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I would be lying if I say I don't.

But, the first point is the fact that I generally do not know how long the original chapter actually is.

Secondly, I would rather read short chapters and read the novel completely than have normal sized chapters with the novel dropped halfway.

Sabruness likes this.
  18. Sabruness

Sabruness Cultured Yuri Connoisseur

Reading List:
    Link
    if it's done because of mega-sized chapters, i have no problem. if it's a normal sized chapter but it's split in many tiny parts then, yes, it is annoying especially if it's done to milk readers or ad revenue. then again, most of the TLs i've read from who split chapters do it for good reasons and actually explain why they do it.

19. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, it's annoying.
    Unless I pay them to translate, I can only moaning so much, either still waiting to read or stop.