Discussion Have you ever done/said something insensitive as a child which now you realise was horrible/sad.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Steamc, Sep 29, 2022.

1. Steamc

Steamc °^°

Reading List:
    Link
    I was in my tution and I told my teacher that my paternal great grandmother had died the previous day. She said she was sorry for my mother's loss and I replied
    "No, but why do old people have to live till 94, she should have died sooner."
    As I said these words I could feel everyone's faces drop in disappointment. My teacher was horrified by my words. So after class was over she pulled me aside and and explained me as gently as she could to 11 year old that I shouldn't speak about a deceased person like that.
    At that time I didn't understand what I had done wrong but since the teacher I liked told me it was wrong then I thought I must have said something wrong.

2. Deleted member 310942

Deleted member 310942 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I've done a lot of things I regret as a child lol. They were such small things, but they just all make me boil up in resentment for myself. One time in particular, I had this little "concert" thing. I had the lead singing role for this song for Winter Fest. I had the intro for All I Want For Christmas (Is You). I told my mom not to come. To this day, I'm still not sure why I said that. Whether it was because I was embarrassed of my mother or if I was worried for her because her health wasn't great.

I don't know.

And I'm still angry at myself. I never did ask if she wanted to go and I regret that. I love my mother and father with everything I have, and I feel horrible for all the times I ever made them feel otherwise.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2022
    Has, Blossom_Honey, Senros and 2 others like this.
  3. Steamc

Steamc °^°

Reading List:
    Link
    I was in tution and I told my teacher that my paternal great grandmother died the previous day. She told me she was sorry for my mother's loss. and I
    replied
    "No, but why do old people have to live till 94. She(my great grandmother) should have died sooner". I remember saying this in a very fact of matter tone.
    As I was saying this I could feel everyone staring at me and then I saw my teacher who stood there horrified by my words. Even then I didn't realise what was wrong but knew something was wrong about my words seeing everyone reaction but still couldn't point it out.
    Later, when class was over my teacher pulled me aside and explained to me as gently as she could to a 11 year old that I shouldn't talk like this about a deceased person and since this teacher was someone I liked and admired so I listened to her and never said it again.
    I'm just glad I never told these words to my mother she would have been hurt, and grateful that the teacher never said anything about this incident to my mother.

Blossom_Honey and nyamachi like this.
  4. LevelTryHard

LevelTryHard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    stay on the grindset king hate old people

Has, Steamc and Meloonseed like this.
  5. Meloonseed

Meloonseed sobble

Reading List:
    Link
    I remember when my mom's ma died at 70? And I went around telling everyone and their mothers that she died.

my mom was so mad and embarassed when she found out as i recall

Oh I remember a good one. We had this extracurricular ELA class in elementary school and we always did readings where we read aloud passages and one day we were reading about Niger and its crocodiles, something along those lines. Having never heard the n slur in my life, and being as white as can be, my 8 year old self confidently pronounces it as clearly as I can with a hard r. Teacher was obviously horrified, tells me not to say it, and I, being a dumb contrarian, super defiant 8 year old, kept saying it to mess with the teacher.
    Don't think I was in that class for a long time after that tbh.

Steamc likes this.
  6. ngard

ngard Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So my brother plays a lot of games, and around ten years ago he started to play a lot of online shooter and apparently the environment there is quite toxic. As such he started to pick up a lot of the things being said there and started to say them to me; one of the things he said the most frequently was "kys" (not sure if I can write it out? but you probably get it).
    Since I got so used to hearing it so much, I kind of detached the real meaning of those words, and instead used it more to convey what my brother and I was feeling as it was being said, which was annoyance and/or anger.
    Eventually I started using it myself, at school, until I made a girl cry and her friend came up to me and shouted at me that "you don't say such things", and I realised.
    Thankfully, I managed to apologise and we became friends, but it is still something that keeps me up at night.

Blossom_Honey and Steamc like this.
  7. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    I called someone’s baby ugly. She was also giving me a ride while I said that. My “apology” wasn’t an apology.

I did so many of these retarded things.

Has and Senros like this.
  8. daisukenowaifu

daisukenowaifu has Has

Reading List:
    Link
    Lot of things, haha. Once I called my friend's mom short to her face. I don't know why I did that; I didn't even remember it, until my mum explained to me why this particular friend hates me so much >.>

This. It eats me up from the inside, but I can't do anything about it. Before I turned 14, most of my actions... they don't even seem like I made it with a rational mind, haha. I guess, I should look forward and not do those things, leaving the past to the past lol.

Senros and Deleted member 310942 like this.
  9. One Perfect Veteran

One Perfect Veteran [ICL] [Bureaucat] [Cereal Killer]

Reading List:
    Link
    *Huggles*
    *Pat pat pats*
    Hopefully it made you feel a little better to talk about it

10. Steamc

Steamc °^°

Reading List:
    Link
    This reminds me of a phase of mine where I used to say f*ck whenever I was annoyed or upset I think I picked it up from a older guy and I remember my brother correcting me so many times since I didn't know what the word actually meant. Later, when I realised I was embarrassed.

ngard likes this.
  11. nyamachi

nyamachi [Chaos Twin :3] [Melo fanclub member]

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha so many times... Wonder if it's just part of growing up.

12. SleepyGrey

SleepyGrey Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Tbh, not really, but I can't remember if I did. As a kid, I was always the quiet kid who'd sit in their chair and stare outside the window everyday. But there were many times when my sister scolded me for my blunt personality, so I might've said some hurtful things unintentionally. So, yes, maybe I have.

13. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes. I don't want to repeat it. But it's normal. Children are insensitive, the center for empathy hasn't begun to develop yet. They just learn by example what is good and bad.

14. Nicole_342

Nicole_342 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well even i went through the same thing when i was an child, but there were no one to correct me

15. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, not really. I was a good kid, but slowly but surely I got twisted bit by bit. If you count ages 13-18 as "children", then I have some, but at least I can't remember anything too bad that I did before I was 10.

Oh, wait... I have one. I let or made a classmate pay me to be his friend... I was around 8 at the time and I think he paid me 2 or 3 times. After that I felt bad accepting more, because I actually thought of him as a friend and enjoyed spending time with him. He even ended up being my best friend for quite a few years, but I don't think I was that good of a friend... maybe I simply forgot too many things, but I don't think I did many things for him. Still, we had good times together farting on each other's heads :ROFLMAO:

16. Deleted member 310942

Deleted member 310942 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    I did that as well. To be fair, I was talking about when she was born, and ALL newborn babies are objectively ugly when they are just born. I told my sister-in-law (mother of my niece lol) that my niece was ugly when she was a newborn. I didn't apologize, obviously, because it was true. Newborn babies are just ugly. Not that it's a bad thing. I dunno why people insist on believing that ugly = bad.

hypersniper159 likes this.
  17. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Can't say I remember any specific case in particular right now, but I remember that I looked back in the past many times and thought, "Oh wow, I was so stupid", so I'm sure I did say a lot of insensitive things as a child.

It just happens. It's hard to realize those are insensitive at that age~

18. Deleted member 314196

Deleted member 314196 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    A lot, but I'm not the type to care about what those around me thinks

19. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was 11, I befriended an outcast girl and got close to her because we have the same hobby then one day she confess to me and as a girl myself, I didn't understand it so I stayed away from her, no words said, ignore, ghosted her. I wasn't grossed out because she was a girl but because I find love to be really weird it makes me feel annoyed, I have issues but of course I didn't knew back then, even during college when people tell me they are interested in me my only answer is thanks, what do you want me to do or so. I wish I could have handled it differently for her, I hope it didn't affect her too much.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    Steamc and ngard like this.
  20. QueenofCheshires

QueenofCheshires BXG QT Enthusiast (´∩。• ᵕ •。∩`)

Reading List:
    Link
    When I was in elementary we were on a field trip. It's common in our country that a vendor would go inside the bus to offer people to buy snacks food and drinks. There is this one encounter where I always remember when I travel.

Me and my aunt were waiting inside the bus, a pie vendor goes up and asked people aisle by aisle. However, no one was interested because some already bought one on the way. He comes to our aisle ask us and I said no. He goes to the back and on the way asked everyone again but no one bought anything. Again he made another round and when he comes to our spot I said "Why are you asking again and again, we don't want one" the vendor passed us but he didn't ask anyone again on the way out.

My aunt was shaking her head and told me softly that it was their job and that was the only way that they get money. He asked again and again because it's his only source of income. If he didn't sell any of those pies he is selling, all of the pie would spoil and he wouldn't get any money out of spoiled pies. She told me that he was only doing his job inorder to provide for his family and told me imagine going out all day and suffer from the heat outside while walking to offer pies to people but in turn gets comments like mine. :cry: I felt so bad the rest of the way :cry:

Steamc likes this.