Discussion Do you read for the art ? Would you drop because of it ?

Discussion in 'Manga Discussion' started by ReaderReader, Oct 3, 2022.

Tags:
?

Would you not / drop something cuz art

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    84.1%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    11.4%
  3. Don't care about the art

2 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    Korean cover images are a hoax , a lie to grip you and to make you read the manhwa.

I 100% will not start something if I dislike the art , even if it's a great story. The art doesn't need to be bad per say just a style I do not enjoy.

I might not read for the art but I'll browse throught it and most likely end up reading it

ikhors and Cutter Masterson like this.
  2. Stripedhatbecomesgay

Stripedhatbecomesgay Guess who’s a super good spammer? It’s me!

Reading List:
    Link
    I would drop it for the art, especially if it's based off of a novel
    If I don't find it to my standards, I will drop it immediately
    I won't start something just because of the art tho

Ahodesuga likes this.
  3. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    When you say art. I immediately thought of mangas, but your talking about cover art? For any art form. I have to have some interest in it. Before I even give it a chance. I don’t like many American mangas because I hate the art style. That’s why I stated artwork is crucial. But in a novel. It’s all about the story. Personally, I don’t like a mix of both. It throws me off. As to cover art. Well as they say. You can’t judge a book by its cover.
    But to be honest I prefer novels over mangas.
    And that’s how stand on the subject matter

Astaroth and poploc like this.
  4. ReaderReader

Reading List:
    Link
    I meant that for quite a few Kr Manhwa ( adaptations or not )
    Novel Cover = Mind-blowing
    Manhwa Cover = Amazing
    Actual art style = Da heck is this shit

Mostly about the art style used for the most part so the content

5. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol! Oh. When you put it that way. I can’t really argue

6. Ca5e

Ca5e Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    unless the story is a pure masterpiece, art matters.

Tumtum likes this.
  7. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    of course, I mean I read a manga/hua(?) that I didn't understand entirely since i was just stunned by the art, "The Song of the Sky Walker" so much attention to detail, same with webtoons, "The Magician" has great art, although the story is lacking a bit. Same with "Greenhouse," i dislike horror greatly but I was entranced by the art. DUngeon Seeker also i mean JoJo for the colors. I mean the art is half the story you know?

meanwhile I dropepd other since the art was way to bleak or pathetic, like One Piece? the art is so overbearing I can barely understand what they are saying I just couldn't bother regardless of its praise.
    UnOrdinary on webtoon, dropped since the art was so lazy and a mistake, like uru-chans drawings are just to bleak and normal and does nothing for the story. I read for John, and after his redemption ark, which i think was poorly done (besides that), the art and story are just pointless. Especially since it was so clear where the story was going without barely any foreshadowing.

TXHY likes this.
  8. lnv

lnv ✪ Well-Known Hypocrite

Reading List:
    Link
    Many of the images you see for manhwa are from the novel. So it isn't really a hoax as much as it is either to save money or simply the fansub group grabbing it and being too lazy to change it.

Why, did you click on "One step to being the dark lord"?

9. Krinxin

Krinxin Book of Weird Animal Facts

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends on what I'm reading. Some stuff has bad art on purpose and comedy completely takes over. When that happens they usually turn out to be some of the best things I've ever read.

ReaderReader, TXHY and hypersniper159 like this.
  10. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    Really? I never seen something like that, can you give me some recommendations?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  11. BooklessBookworm

BooklessBookworm Sensible Little Sister ꒰ঌ(⃔ ⌯' '⌯)⃕໒꒱

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes, I will drop it for the art. I’d feel a bit bad, especially if it’s an original and the story seems interesting, but I just would not be able to build any sense of appeal or charm if the art isn’t good enough for me. Which is why I mainly read novels.

hypersniper159 likes this.
  12. elijahavery

elijahavery Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me, i don't care about their artstyle because every artist has their own style and most of the time, I read because of the story. If i don't like the story I'll drop it even tho the artstyle is very pretty. And if the artstyle is to not my liking but the story is good, i'll keep reading it. I'm suprised many people still read the story with the plot they dont like because of the art lol.
    Some comic I drop:
    -The Villainess is a Marionette. Sorry but it's more like an art book than a comic. The art is good, tho the detail is too much. the plot is meh
    -Saving the Villain from the Heroine. Same reason but the plot is better

Looks like many artist who draw rofan manhwa were chosen because they can draw beautiful character, not because they can draw a comic.

TXHY likes this.
  13. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the real problem is that you can't be sure whether the story is good without reading it, but you can tell if the art is good after a couple pages.

So it's not that I wouldn't read a comic with bad art if the story made up for it, it's just that I probably wouldn't give myself the chance to find out how good the story is if the art doesn't interest me.

This is especially true when the website or app shows you the title and cover page and you have to click through for the description of the plot. Why would I click through to find out what it's about unless the cover looks good and the title sounds interesting? This is why sometimes those titles that sound like a plot summary can actually be pretty helpful.

14. Rumby

Rumby Rumbly Tumbly

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends.
    I can’t really remember what I’ve dropped solely based on art though.. probably dropped more for bad story or bad adaptation.

However I would’ve dropped the novel’s extra webtoon if they kept the first artstyle, since I feel like it didn’t do the characters justice at all. Like the novel art of the characters are amazing so I expected the quality to be decent. Like the webtoon remake looks way better than the first artstyle, so it’s all good.

15. FlufflyLittleRabbit

FlufflyLittleRabbit Fluff...Fluffy....FLUFFYYYYY!

Reading List:
    Link
    It depends.

I like looking at beautiful and unique art but if the quality of the story turns really bad and unbearable to read then I will not hesitate to drop it. I drop a lot of comics that have a beautiful art style before because of the quality of the story.

Also, I don't mind reading a comic that has an ordinary/average art style as long as the story is good and interesting.

hypersniper159 and TXHY like this.
  16. joey183

joey183 The Mysterious Entity

Reading List:
    Link
    Do I read for the art? > Absolutely!
    Will I drop a story if the art is bad? > It depends. If the story gets me hooked, I find the art don't matter anymore. But if the story plot is so-so, a bad art will turn me off from continue reading. On the other hand, if the art is good, but story plot is bad, I might stick around a while for art, until the story gets so bad that I just drop it.

FlufflyLittleRabbit likes this.
  17. patient

patient Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree with this point, if the manhwa is based on a novel I've already read, then my standards are higher. Normally I wouldn't drop it because of bad art as long as I find the plot interesting.

18. Athy910

Athy910 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me if the art is bad i drop the story its like even it's a good story i can't enjoy it because its artwork sucks :blob_teary:
    its like they completely destroy the whole thing with bad artwork:notlikeblob:

ReaderReader likes this.
  19. SkySolluna

SkySolluna Moon Warrior

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes~
    You know OPM~?? The art first was very very ugly...even a toddler was better...
    I didn't read it. When there was a new artist that was the time I read it~

20. ReaderReader

Reading List:
    Link
    One punch man and mob psycho from ONE but It's really worth reading it

TXHY and hypersniper159 like this.