Cleaning up tags on NU V2.0

Discussion in 'Novel Updates Site Discussion' started by marine1corps, Jun 23, 2017.

1. FelicitaScarlet

FelicitaScarlet Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I also think that would be nice since there's lot of confusion regarding the Sentinel/Guide setting and some people think that Omegaverse and Guide are the same thing which is totally different from what I have read on, so far.

Cyltea likes this.
  2. Huhu

Huhu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Can we add a Handsome Protagonist tag? There is a Beautiful Protagonist tag but its almost exclusively used to describe female protagonists.

Secondly, there are two yandere tags - Male Yandere and Yandere. I personally have been using Male Yandere to tag stories with males that are yandere, but I've seen novels tagged as both. Can we keep the more descriptive tag Male Yandere and update the generalized Yandere tag to possibly multiple descriptive yandere tags? (for example, add a Female Yandere tag).

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
  3. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    ... Why didn't we update this one to be gender neutral, again?

Yo, @runsing, can we just change this to "Yandere Protagonist" and "Yandere Love Interest"? I have no clue how we missed it.

4. Blitz

Blitz ⛈️ awakened from the reverie❄️

Reading List:
    Link
    When I checked the list. The tag you're referring to was beautiful female lead and it's counterpart handsome male lead already exists.

Tsubaki - and runsing like this.
  5. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    no, we didn't (missed it). Male Yandere is intentional. i think @Shio explained it somewhere too. not sure if it was on the forum or discord.

https://forum.novelupdates.com/posts/494593/

6. Huhu

Huhu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Ahhh thank you for the clarification, Blitz! My mistake. I guess I read a lot of BL, so it seemed like the tag could only apply to one of two characters and I had used it for the ML and not the MC. In the case of non-BL you could indicate with better granularity with the tags that are gender separate.

Thanks, AliceShiki and runsing - regarding the yandere tags, then if there is a Male yandere should we tag the novel to have both tags? How should the tags be used? I am more concerned on behalf of people searching for novels with only one of two tags. They may miss some novels as a result of the duplication.

7. runsing

runsing status : bleeding, health -10/s Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    personally, i'd say prioritize yandere, since it can be used for any gender. male yandere (m.y) on the other hand, is more a more niche tags, a fetish, so it shouldn't be found as much or as often as the former.

think of it like this, if you are a someone who prefers m.y, but clicked on a novel only to be disappointed that it was not what you expected, you'll be more annoyed compared to clicking a yandere tag, but finds out it was m.y instead, won't you?

8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    Okay, but why does it matter?

I mean...

"Yandere Love Interest" + "Female Protagonist" = Male Yandere
    "Yandere Protagonist" + "Male Protagonist" = Male Yandere
    "Yandere Love Interest" + "Male Protagonist" = Female Yandere
    "Yandere Protagonist" + "Female Protagonist" = Female Yandere

"Yandere Protagonist" + "GL Genre" = Female Yandere (as protag)
    "Yandere Love Interest" + "GL Genre" = Female Yandere (as Love Interest)
    "Yandere Protagonist" + "BL Genre" = Male Yandere (as protag)
    "Yandere Love Interest" + "BL Genre" = Male Yandere (as Love Interest)

All cases are covered here. It's basically a strict upgrade of the current tags, as it also covers the BL/GL scenarios, which aren't covered by the current tags... That's the whole reason why we changed all "Male/Female" tags into "Protagonist/Love Interest"... What's different on this one? It's quite literally the exact same scenario as all other tags.

Even if Male Yandere is a fetish tag, you can still find it easily by using a search with "Female Protagonist" + "Yandere Love Interest", so... What's the loss there? I don't get it.

9. patient

patient Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This is a good suggestion! And also, I wouldn't even consider male yandere a niche tag, it's quite prevalent in both straight and BL novels.

10. Huhu

Huhu Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I really like the idea of Yandere Protagonist and Yandere Love Interest tags! On a another note, could we also refactor the "beautiful" tag (currently we have Beautiful Female Lead and Handsome Male Lead) and decouple it from sex as in make beautiful apply to both sex (since we can say any human is beautiful regardless of sex though gender constructs skew us towards "beautiful" for female and "handsome" for male, which can have problems in the case of non cis genders), and have Beautiful Protagonist and Beautiful Love Interest so that the level of tagging granularity is appropriate for covering all scenarios like the yandere tags suggested (one for MC, and one for ML/FL)? This way we can have full coverage across all scenarios too for the beautiful tag.

FelicitaScarlet likes this.
  11. YaDo

YaDo Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think this is a good idea, but what about the tag "Androgynous Characters" that's occasionally used for cis genders in webnovels?
    For example, in DFBB's YLT the male lead, who wants to be a woman, is described with the tag combination: Androgynous Characters, Cross-Dressing and Handsome Male Lead.

Huhu and FelicitaScarlet like this.
  12. patient

patient Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So I was wondering about lactation. There's a tag "Breast Fetish" and it's description says: "Tag is to be used only when the protagonist (male) has a breast fetish. Meaning that he is sexually attracted to breasts in an abnormal manner. It is recommended to use this tag only in the case of a male protagonist."
    So let's say, in a novel, the protagonist is a lactating woman, and the love interest is the one obsessed with the milk specifically, and not so much the breasts themselves. In this case, the "Breast Fetish" tag wouldn't apply because the protagonist isn't a male, right? Or would it fall to be an exception?
    So I think maybe also having a "Lactation" tag would be pretty useful, it would be more specific than the "Breast Fetish" tag, and would help finding novels with lactation.

13. Lilac7sb

Lilac7sb Member

Reading List:
    Link
    This was helpful

14. Easykiln

Easykiln Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I have a tag request in regard to gender bender works. Please make it easier to tell what sort of romantic interests the protagonist has, although I don't know how you'd implement that.

It's irrational and weird, but nothing kills my interest faster than romantic tension, drama, or other such interactions with a man. I don't care about the gender of the protagonist, but I end up actually very irritated at the characters in question for being in the way of what I'm trying to read. No romance is of course also fine. There are recommendation lists for no romance that I tried to treat as a tag before, but they ended up being really inaccurate.

15. CoffeeandManga4ever

CoffeeandManga4ever Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    i think its important to specify male yandre and yandere? because when i look up yandere ill get alot of femalte yanderes, which i dont want. so the male yandere makes it easier to find the stuff i want to read

16. BooklessBookworm

BooklessBookworm Sensible Little Sister ꒰ঌ(⃔ ⌯' '⌯)⃕໒꒱

Reading List:
    Link
    like @AliceShiki said, you can just search

"Yandere Love Interest" + "Female Protagonist" = Male Yandere
    "Yandere Protagonist" + "Male Protagonist" = Male Yandere
    "Yandere Protagonist" + "BL Genre" = Male Yandere (as protag)
    "Yandere Love Interest" + "BL Genre" = Male Yandere (as Love Interest)

patient likes this.
  17. toukonotto

toukonotto Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Please add Science baby and Magic baby (means a or multiple biological child between same gender Couple) tag! dynasty-scans has these tag. There are many gl novel specially Chinese yuri novels has children through science in modern settings, in ancient settings either through gu or other medicine or mysterious water or other ways Author's doesn't explain properly! So I think we need these tags!

Bottom novel has Science baby between les couple
    Received a wife from the civil affairs bureau
    Mortal Enemy Dressed as the Apex Baby
    I Woke up to Find I Have a Child

Last edited: Dec 22, 2022
  18. Silver Book

Silver Book Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Would the systems that mark down the improvements and/or increases the protagonists learning speed
    Be under the category of reward and/or guide?

19. Nom de Plume

Nom de Plume [Shio’s Disciple] [True Villain] [Equip: Gunblade] Novel Updates Staff

Reading List:
    Link
    Depending on what you mean, that could fall under the Levelling System tag.
    Interesting. I wouldn’t ever think of adding just an ‘Administrator’ tag to a system novel. That would be too broad without the ‘system’ modifier. Personally, I tend to only add the ‘System Administrator’ tag when the system in charge of other systems is a main character. I don’t think I’ve ever considered applying ‘Admin’ in the context of systems being in charge of players. Many system novels don’t have them exist as more than a tool not much more complex than a holographic computer. The main computer is what usually handles the administrative work in the related genres while the subsystems are not much more than drones or worker bees. There are stories where the main characters system fulfills a proper admin role and I tag it as such, but it’s definitely not the case for EVERY system story.

What about just ‘Artificially Created Baby’? Then it could also cover any form of supernatural childbirth as well, such as outlier novels where babies are grown from plants.

Silver Book likes this.
  20. toukonotto

toukonotto Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    From same-sex couple for example yuri ones, one of the woman get pregnant scientifically or by medicine or other supernatural way after having s*x like het couple. So I think we need Science baby for scientific mean and magic baby for being pregnant through gu or magic medicine or other supernatural other means.