Any c-novel adaptations that left you unsatisfied and you'd like remade

Discussion in 'TV/Movies Discussion' started by Vico, Oct 11, 2022.

1. Vico

Vico Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    So it seems from the last years that there's a trend for remaking some modern novel adaptations even though they've already recently been adapted for the first time... Three main examples
    - Unrequited Love : two drama adaptations, one in 2019 with Zhao Shun Ran and Zhu Yan Man Zi, the other in 2021 with Hu Yi Tian and Hu Bing Qing
    -Poison Genius Consort : was adapted under the title Legend of Yunxi in 2018, with Ju Jingyi and Zhang Zhe Han, but they recently announced a remake (although I wonder if this is still happening since we have no news since april and they said they would start the shooting in july). Although it was a hit in general, but the fans of the original novel were more negative about this, as they considered way the drama changed way too much compared to the original material (and I'm amongst them, personally)
    -and finally, Master Devil Don't Kiss Me is also getting a remake. The 2017 adaptation was an unexpectedly hit and helped the two main actors, Li Hong Yi and Xing Fei, who were unknown then, to rise to fame (the rest of the cast also gained good careers : Sun An Ke, Yang Xi Zi, Zhang Jiong Ming...)

A lot may find this annoying as viewers don't usually like remakes or sometimes, the concept of adaptation itself, as they consider that it either doesn't give justice to the original work, that it's uselessly repeating the same story or that it will necessarily be less good than the first adaptation.

But I'm not of those, as I personnally usually really like remakes.
    So I just wondered : are there some chinese novels that you really liked that and that were adapted on tv but somehow, the drama adaptation left you disappointed for some reason (too much changes, bad writing, bad casting or else), so you wouldn't mind if there was a remake that could correct this and give you the adaptation you'd want ?

As for Poison Genius Consort, I really hope it will happen but most importantly, I hope that unlike the previous drama adaptation, they will keep the original elements that made it so good !

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  2. Vico

Vico Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I guess I'll start (and probably be on my own on this :blobsweat: )
    -Tears in Heaven : they just changed EVERYTHING. I loved seeing Dou Xiao and Li Qin acting together, and I understand that they had to change a few things to avoid polemics or censorship (after all, this is a Fei Wo Si Cun novel) but they totally got off trail compared to the main point of the story. It wasn't any longer about a woman healing after losing her beloved and struggling with the taboo of falling for her dead boyfriend's brother and a man struggling with his feelings for his half-brother's girlfriend but about... I'm not even sure. The whole mourning her boyfriend got away very quickly, their one-night stand was just "implied" (we didn't even get the scene, grr) which basically made no sense to the fact that the male lead disliked the female lead at first and there was a lot of unnecessary subplots that had nothing to do with the novel. So I think they really missed a chance to do a great drama
    -The Princess Weiyoung : i loved the drama and that's even how I discovered the novel. But let's be honest : the drama adaptation had NO resemblance with the novel, so much that I don't even see how this is an adaptation. Since recently, Dramaland seems to have accepted the whole rebirth trope, I think it would be good if they were to remake something that is faithful to the original. But I guess this is unlikely since the author has been accused (and found guilty) of plagiarism :cry:
    - The Left Ear : they shot a drama adaptation... SEVEN YEARS AGO ! and it still hasn't been released. I think it can be considered shelved now ! Moreover, I've read that they added some subplots or changes that I think are neither good, even unnecessary and more important, I'm a bit unsatisfied about the cast. But I just LOVE this novel so I'd like to see it getting a good adaptation (I could totally see Shen Yue as Li Er)
    -Summer's Desire : they had a great cast... but they made this dark, complex love story into some idol drama, with a bad writing, a bad directing, unnecessary and annoying subplots but also new, useless, annoying new characters. I don't know, maybe they tried to be totally different from the Taiwanese 2010 version and although they succeeded at that, they made a bad adaptation due to that (they even cut my long, expected bed scene :cry:)
    -The Tang Dynasty’s Female Forensic Doctor, adapted under the title Miss Truth : again, they got way too far from the original plot, mainly with the female lead. She was smart and rational, and here they made her stupid, impulsive, and unable to decide herself between the two men ; they also changed AND ruined the ending. We had a perfectly happy ending, they made it some open, implied to be happy, nonsense ending. Moreover, the relationship between the leads turned very frustrating, unlike the novel's. It's too bad because they had a good casting and ruined their opportunity
    -Mountains and Oceans : you may not know this one as this wasn't translated and didn't get much buzz. So I will make this short : THEY COMPLETELY CHANGED THE ENDING !!!
    They had a satisfying, happy ending where the villains get punished but went for some open, weird thing that doesn't conclude anything and even let the villains getting away after having done the most hateful things

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  3. LeiaFlo

LeiaFlo Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me,
    - Godly Empress Doctor : haven't finished the novel yet but have reached half. It was adapted under Dance Of The Phoenix. I also haven't finished the drama yet, I only watched a little bit. But I don't think the actor suit what I imagined the ml would be like. And the quality too, I hope if they ever made a remade, I hope they improve it. Because the fight scenes in the novel are really cool and all, but the drama is a little meh for me, not that bad, it's maybe because I've read the novels and so I couldn't help but made the comparison.
    - Unrequited Love : I've only watched the 2019 version. The ending is really really rushed, but besides that, I think they capture the essence of youth really well. I like the actors too. Their chemistry made it believable that they actually fall in love at first sight.
    - Love Like The Galaxy : I like it, I really do. I've read the novel and I think all the actors suit the characters really well. It's just that they cut too many scenes after 5 years. I'm not sure if I'd like a remade or not because 3/4 of the novel is shown really really well. I just want to say that it falls a little short for me because they cut the scenes in the novel.
    - The Young Lady of the General’s House : I watched the drama first before reading the novel. At first, I think the drama is really good, but it all goes downhill after the female lead disguised herself and I just think the female lead is too much drama. And so I stopped at ep 20 because I just can't comprehend the female lead antics. It's too different from how they introduced her. The actors themselves I think are okay, I think maybe the scripts. And so I read the novel, and OH MY GOD THE NOVEL IS SO GOOD. They really shouldn't have changed the plot and the script. The female lead is consistent throughout the novel, and is so sensible and makes sense. All her decisions are consistent with her background. I do hope they remade this but without changing the characters and the plot. Because they really change the characters. If they only made the female lead to be more cheerful then it's fine, but they also suddenly change her to be like a bimbo. I do admit the female lead in the novel gave me a solemn feeling, and maybe they just think that type of character is not popular, but to change it completely into a bimbo is just disrespectful to the female lead. This is actually one of my fav novels and until now, I just couldn't bring myself to finish the series.

Vico likes this.
  4. notjunnior

notjunnior Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Cupid's Kitchen!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't even mind watching it because they changed the biggest point of the novel: ml is blind. They could've toned down the thing about him being almost a super powerful blind person and made it more realist, but keeping all the beautiful relationship they built. No. They chose to turn it into a cliche romance drama between chefs with ridiculous subplots like fl drinking sanitary's water to prove she did a good job cleaning it.

Mountains and Oceans' ending wasnt that awful?????? My God, what have they done

Vico likes this.
  5. Vico

Vico Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yep, I can confirm. Shen Zhen, the awful villain, gets her punishment (she gets killed by the ml's mom when she's about to kill him and the female lead ; unlike the drama, she doesn't retract, which actually didn't make sense at all, so I don't see why they did that), so does the ml's mother who even sincerely repents, the female lead gets justice for her mother and it is strongly implied that the leads end up together
    There also plenty of little details that they erased. I can tell you that the confrontation scene at the end is much more awesome in the novel that the drama (there is also a third male lead who makes the male lead jealous towards the second part of the novel)

6. XQXian

XQXian Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I've read Poison Genius Consort before watching the drama and was so excited, then, what? They changed it. Same with the Princess Weiyoung, they made her like a Mary Sue, weak, bullied and kind character that I didn't recognize her nor the plot anymore.
    I'm This Type of Woman was also changed into romcom drama.

In general, I'm not too optimistic about drama/live action adaptation unless when they're faithful to the source (examples: The Untamed, Hikaru no Go live action, You're My Glory), absurdly funny beyond belief (Go Princess Go), or they have big production behind them (Ten Miles of Peach Blossoms).

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    Pennsterr21 and Vico like this.
  7. Pennsterr21

Pennsterr21 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Love O2O
    The scenes from the drama actually match the novel really well and did it justice. also the male lead casting was on point.
    However! the female lead casting ruined it for me! (in both the movie and tv show, but movie was better)
    The female lead, if i remember correctly, is described as a beautiful college student with an alluring body and curves in all the right places (in the raws: flower vase shaped, hot body).
    the actress casted is stick-thin with no curves. zero. not judging her body. just saying that they were wrong in casting her as she did not fit any of the descriptions of the character. also (most importantly) her acting was stiff af!! the kissing scene in the office was torture to watch!
    ^Let me also point out that her huge scandal has gotten this drama basically blacklisted everywhere!
    They have to remake it now, hopefully with Cheng Xiao. if you look up her dancing videos on ytube you'll see why. she is pretty much the only actress i can think of that fits the description, appearance-wise (face and body).

check this out too

Last edited: Jul 13, 2023
    ReaderReader and Vico like this.
  8. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I Won't Get Bullied by Girls. The drama adaptation completely ruined the story! Completely!

Instead of martial arts, Ye Lin did lion dancing in the drama. And his TV mom wasn't an evil megalomaniac, but just some regular mom who loved to travel. Other important characters weren't around either. Like Aimee. Her TV counterpart was just some washed-up idol. The gay bodyguard, the A.I. bot and the bot's inventor did not even exist in the drama adaptation.

The whole drama was just about setting up a lion dance club at school.

Vico likes this.
  9. Szara

Szara Your average American Psycho

Reading List:
    Link
    Song in the Clouds - this is one of the first chinese novels that I read, and I loved it, but I can't bear to finish watching the series produced by Yu Zheng. Like everything else that he has touched, a lot of the story was re-written.

The three main leads were terribly miscast. They are all supposed to be around the same age, but the 2 leading men looked about 15 years older than Angelababy. As for Angelababy, I don't dislike her or anything, but she's not suited for historical dramas. And her acting could be better. She's merely okay, I guess.

Vico likes this.
  10. patient

patient Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Gu Fang Bu Zi Shang, adaptation under the name of "General & I"
    It seems like the adaptation has zero correlation to novel's plot, I don't know what they were thinking. There's plenty of plot in the novel and there's room for filler plot to drag it out for more episodes. But the only thing they took from the novel are character names, even the characters themselves are nothing like the ones in the novel, I really can't comprehend why they did it their way. It looked like a low budget production too.

11. ToastedRossi

ToastedRossi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Yu Zheng doesn't seem to have any idea how and why the original novel worked, and there are a lot of points in the story where it really shows. For example, Third Brother is a huge fan favorite but look at how he's utterly abused by the show. Just like you, I loved the book but I couldn't stand to finish the TV show. The one good thing about this mess is that Tong Hua, the book's writer, hates Yu Zheng's guts.

Vico likes this.
  12. PechDepi

PechDepi Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    General & I: The only thing that is tolerable is the name. Like everything else is so all over the place you can watched the entire drama and still have no ideas what is going on. And also the main actress is so bad in this drama. Please…… Like the fl is known to be not outstandingly beautiful like every other fl but her brain and her aura is what make people adore her. And this drama cast one of the most beautiful actress but with the most lukewarm acting ever.

The princess Wei yang: It have 0 to none connection to the novel. The fl get turn into some weak bulliable Mary Sue. And the ml literally get changed. AND WHERE THE TENSION AND SMARTNESS OF THE FL???

Last edited: Jun 19, 2023
    Pennsterr21 and Vico like this.
  13. Aysaalrever

Aysaalrever Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Princess agents : of course the series was good, zhao liying held the drama, but i personally feel, the intrigues of the characters can be drama as well, hoping for season 2

Vico likes this.
  14. Fort de Knox

Fort de Knox Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    A lottttt
    Hufft sorry Yang Yang but a lot of your adaptation sucked

Martial Universe- adaptation of Wu Dong Qian Kun.
    Mind you what, it was the first time I read major novel with 1000+ chapter, just because YY will star in it. The novel was good, though there were a lot of repetition, a lot of troupe, but still it was enjoyable… and I liked the characterization of some character. Buttt the adaptation fucked up badly, everything is changed. Aside from having the same name, the character’s personality and description don’t match up at all. Major fail arghh even after 5 years I still rant about it. Not to mention, in the novel, the first FL appear in 200+ chapter while the second appear in 500+. Yet the drama decided to make ML meet them in the first 10 ep. Fuckkkk the power balance was a disaster, the world building is on fire, the characters don’t make sense, the costume sucked, and even the set should just be set on fire. Everything was so bad.

Fireworks of My Earth- adaptation of Waiting for You in a City.
    Sigh. I wonder if the screenwriter thought they’re very smart or something. In the first half of the drama, basically the emotional lines between ML and FL don’t exist at all. I almost thought it was BL or something with mix of propaganda films. They deleted a lot of scenes involving their past, making the chemistry feels lacking. Characterization all over the place. You don’t understand why and how a character do something. Arghhhh

I think I’m more mad at myself for still going to see Yang Yang next adaptation drama, just because LoveO2O and You are My Glory was good.
    For King Avatar my review is kinda mid, since the source novel is mid. People who don’t enjoy gaming might not be able to appreciate it.

Vico likes this.