Discussion Selling original works/doujinshi

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by Wujigege, Oct 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maskedcerf

maskedcerf DCLXVI

Reading List:
    Link
    there is a donation button but its all

Wujigege likes this.
  2. Wujigege

Wujigege *Christian*SIMP*Comedian

Reading List:
    Link
    Considering less money and up to 50% royalties. How much money then for a year of publishing rights?

3. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    I am here as a businessman

4. TsukiNoHono

TsukiNoHono Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *nods* I kind of been interested in some transactions but sadly I can't get a card due to various circumstances and has less time to think of some works due to most mainstream plots are already been taken and its hard to atract some attention if your lucky enough so good luck and I'll pour some questions again in this thread if its gonna stay alive in the future~ (`•w•`)b

Wujigege likes this.
  5. Yog-Sothoth

Yog-Sothoth Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I blame my lack of experience in that area of business, so first it would need an assessment from the professional reviewer or critic, I suppose. Evaluation of target audience, etc etc.

Wujigege likes this.
  6. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks,a news piece on wattpad was my inspiration a few months ago.

Peng you, you are selling yourself short. You dont need to invent, you just need to innovate.

Sure take all the time you need. The main point I am making is this: instead of posting chapters for free while building an audience. An author can be paid while he builds his audience.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  7. TsukiNoHono

Reading List:
    Link
    Hey hey what do you mean short?

Wujigege likes this.
  8. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Lol, I edited the post. You dont need to create something new(invent), just retell in your own way(innovate)

9. TsukiNoHono

Reading List:
    Link
    Well that's kind of easy bu~ut at the same time half-assed cauz it will be hard to avoid plot holes in the story if that happens tho bu~ut aside from getting side-tracked is registering an accoint in amazon needs some cash or we need just some other lines(except royalroadl) cauz some dudes kind of been forced to lurk instead here watching in a daze if some guy gets some new ideas.

10. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    There is no fee to register from what I have researched. I am thinking more of the lines of wattpad though. Publishing chapter seems more feasible than entire book. This thread was a nice learning experience

11. GateOfD

GateOfD Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    just have to say wow @ asking for 50% royalties lol, where 10% is the standard, and even framed authors
    I do find it funny on some fanfiction sites, author bios are like "Published Author"
    and its just a bunch of links to self-published amazon books. And its just like "yea, how about being a real published author"

Wujigege likes this.
  12. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah like I tried to point out, it is easy to self publish but being successful is the hard part. Thats why many authors become ghostwriters for publishing companies. A publishing company is essentially a stock portfolio or insurance company. That uses pooling to mitigate risk

Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  13. TsukiNoHono

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha even if this place is pretty noisy you can really enjoy it ya~ know bu~ut I think its also a good idea by slowly posting a story by chapters(especially for those sadistic authors) for building tension and hitting huge amount of mental damage to the readers so its kind of nice an~d I don't know much about wattpad but there watercolor seems apropriate but there are some idiots still stealing from the author who post stuff overthere so sometimes I feel dubious of planning to post some works overthere

14. Yog-Sothoth

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, like I said, I am sure each case needs to be separately negotiated. E.g. company's hired reviewer reads the work, evaluates its "market worth" taking into account current trends/target audience/future prospects (translations/adaptations/etc), then begins the annoying haggling for royalties and paychecks. I also have to point out that here are people from all around the world, getting 1000 USD per work for some may allow full-time writing for most of the year, while from example me, who lives in North Europe, full-time work as writer will be expected to be equivalent to be equal to basic salary at very least (~1500 EUR, ~1680 USD per month). As soon as the thing goes part-time, writing speed drops drastically, which allows to reduce the payments, but forces to rise royalties %.

Also taking into account different work formats etc, it is a total mess of case-by-case evaluation, IMHO.

Wujigege likes this.
  15. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Haha pirates are everywhere, thats why wattpad doesnt pay per chapter since its easier to steal and pirate.
    I personally don't believe that there is anything new under the sun. About your view on plot holes, I believe an editor would easily fix that so give it a try, your book might inspire someone. (y)

16. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, your posts have convinced me that going the per chapter is a better option. Even licensing a volume would be more feasible than an entire book. Just like how US publishers have a licence for a few years to publish mangas that are still ongoing

17. TsukiNoHono

Reading List:
    Link
    Hahaha it might be dangerous for those "researchers" well we don't know who finished the world in the seventh day bu~ut its kind of sad that watpad seems not to aprove also of paypal or something and its pretty hard to negotiate for some editors and theres no hard feelings but what I enjoy mostly in writing/reading is not the "research materials" but a lot of the retort instead in the comment sections cauz they can spice the story a bit even if its not enjoyable

18. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    It doesn't make you less of a bonafide reader/writer if you also earn.
    I think people underestimate the importance of money until they need it.
    You should find a way so that you do what you love while still making money.
    That's the definition of a perfect job according to some.
    What exactly do you mean by "research materials"?
    Do you mean the book itself?

19. Yog-Sothoth

Reading List:
    Link
    Well, I still personally think that publishing companies could pay more attention to online authors, picking suitable works or promising ideas. There is a ton of rocks out there just missing a good editor to be polished into gems.

Wujigege likes this.
  20. Wujigege

Reading List:
    Link
    Yes I agree but "publishers" or publishing platforms like wattpad prefer to have the authors work for free until they gain a huge fan base. It is all about mitigating risks. Even famed authors have books that have bombed. I think its better to have a semi professional platform like royalroadl to give the online authors enough exposure to get poached by professional publishers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.