Do you think correcting someone's grammar is rude?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LeniSnow, Oct 21, 2022.

?

Answer

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    88.2%
  1. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Let's say you encountered a grammatically wrong sentence or statement, would you correct it? You could do it in the most nicest possible way and even just drop the correction but would you bother or just move on?

I sometimes encounter sentences that makes me bothered but out of respect and to avoid making them feel bad I would just move along not correcting it as there is the possiblity that it's not that person's national language. I am also not an expert.

vishk likes this.
  2. seoktonin

seoktonin burning eyes

Reading List:
    Link
    personally think its not disrespectful or anything unless you do it in the middle of an argument, but some people tend to overreact so i also move on lol

3. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    Nope, I always feel thankful if I had somehow write something wrong. Not to mention having others correct me would let me learn my fault.

vishk, Mr. Tired, Ash_Kira and 4 others like this.
  4. Grey_Angel

Grey_Angel Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    :blob_plusone: same! ::blobpeaking::

5. definitelyprocrastinating

definitelyprocrastinating Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Depends on the context, if you do it respectfully and it's not in an emotional exchange, then it would ideally not be rude but some people may still view it negatively, it's hard to convey tone through the internet.
    Also, I've seen people correct others with wording or grammar when it wasn't actually incorrect, it was just regional differences (like US vs British spelling, slang, irregular idioms etc), that I would personally find a bit irritating but I appreciate being corrected when I'm wrong. You'd never improve otherwise, it's just a tricky tightrope online.

vishk likes this.
  6. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    It's less of the correction itself and more of how they go about it. Someone correcting my grammar in a polite or at least in a non-rude manner I'd be more open to, compared to people who correct others in a snobbish and condescending manner who just come off as rude. Additionally, it also depends on the context. There are times where one probably should not correct someone's grammar. Someone's making a heartfelt letter of apology to another person and a third party comes in and corrects their grammar, that's just being insensitive. It's all on the nuances

vishk likes this.
  7. Frozen ink

Frozen ink Legally had harem『Cathulu』Power of Love & Evil』

Reading List:
    Link
    context

if ur debating and they fk up grammar
    ur probably losing the argument

if its casual talking
    yes

if its professional
    ur rude but a professionally

vishk and Ca5e like this.
  8. MahotsukiKonran

MahotsukiKonran √¶∆℅¥×¶÷π√ ™°℅{^¢¡¿∆ \\£¥^√π¥℅¶∆÷√ ©¢¥®<®]¡¶∆¿

Reading List:
    Link
    The English language is neither a dead language or a homogenous one. There are many different dialects and the language is always changing so the grammar rules that you were taught in school are probably out dated and were never set in stone.

vishk likes this.
  9. astralmech

astralmech [ ✨ ~ snooze ] [ kr translator ] [ jpn native ]

Reading List:
    Link
    It honestly depends on the situation, who the person is, and what your relationship with them is.

For example, my mom is ESL and while I'm "technically" ESL, I was educated in English from HS onward which means I'm the closest thing she has to an authority on the topic that's within close reach. She appreciates it when I politely point out errors for her in her speaking, especially since strangers are too afraid to do it for fear of sounding rude, and she honestly appreciates hearing it from a family member who she knows for certain has her best intentions at heart.

However, there's a fine line to be drawn because some people can be total dicks about it. A slip of the tongue here and there is inevitable, especially for ESL folk. It doesn't mean they don't know what the correct word/grammar is, they're just talking too fast and they messed up. In those cases, correcting them might bother them or potentially irritate them since it insinuates you may think less of them, like they somehow don't know the correct phrasing and need to be corrected, when it reality, it was just a simple mistake--- if that makes sense.

Of course, that's just coming from an ESL perspective. Correcting a native speaker is a completely different ballpark since I think someone might take offense to that very quickly. Since you can't gauge easily who will get mad and who won't with strangers, it would probably be best to leave the grammar policing at home, unless you're dealing with people you know personally who would appreciate that sort of thing.

10. Senros

Senros Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I speak 3 languages "well", but I actually kinda suck at languages. I couldn't tell you most grammar rules, even if my life depended on it. Because of that, I don't mind people correcting me while speaking or writing, but it's also not like you can correct all of their mistakes. I know I make a ton of mistakes when I speak German and sometimes someone will correct me, but when every one of your sentences has 2-3 mistakes, you simply can't correct all of them.

I'm usually too lazy to bother with correcting others. If I feel like they want me to correct them, I'll do so here and there, else I won't. Unless I don't understand what they mean. Then I'll ask for clarification and probably say something like, "Oh! So you mean, Winnie the Pooh stole your sweetroll. I thought you meant that he was just a prick... oh, ok."

11. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Do it with aplomb unless you are labouring under the belief that finding fault with someone's grammar somehow equates to undermining the soundness of their argument. :blobReach:

12. elengee

elengee Daoist Ninefaps

Reading List:
    Link
    :blobconfused::blobpats:

13. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    If it's obviously wrong, then absolutely do it. Incorrect grammar can be incredibly unclear. Correcting them until they clearly write what they mean is the only way for you to know they are trying to say what you think they are.

If it is not obviously wrong (ie. some niche rule on punctuation within quotation marks) then no. Exception being when the correction is directly related to the topic at hand and significant.

14. Kurotsubaki

Kurotsubaki Reincarnation of the Seven Deadly Sins

Reading List:
    Link
    More like depend on how you correct it. In a good and polite way? Not a problem. But with insult in it? Now thats rude

Sarcasm is a different subject all together

15. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    no~
    go ahead~
    english currently an international language which mean most user use it as lingua franca~ consider people have different grasp on this particular pain on da butt language which riddle with exceptions and bunch of other stuff it kinda normal when you meet people who put bunch of sentences and stuff that make you feel "off" so the communication may be disrupted~ like this cat who is a lazybum about it~ so for your own sanity intact~
    go ahead~

put on mind, even the kindest intention with most gentle way of conduct of execution still have potential make the recipient turn sour because of no particular reason~
    thats all folk~

16. Eishun

Eishun Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I had to PAY people to correct my grammar.

17. meliori

meliori [in a dark tunnel seeing light from afar]

Reading List:
    Link
    If they don't ask, I won't.
    There might be exceptions, but that's the general rule

18. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    well do you get money from your grammar correction?

19. AIiceShiki

AIiceShiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's not rude, but there's gotta be somebody out there who thinks pointing out a spelling mistake equals winning the argument.

20. vishk

vishk Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    there are so many answers,
    I am here to get more messages on my profile,
    I think it is not rude to correct someone's grammar until someone else tells you it is