Question CN TL help with an online username

Discussion in 'Translator's Corner' started by KiwiCat, Oct 29, 2022.

1. KiwiCat

KiwiCat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Context: Lin Qinglu is a popular actress who has been receiving a lot of attention because she just recently came out of the closet, and everyone is making different ships of her with others

Original:
    "@林轻鹭姬遍娱乐圈:选出你觉得最不可能的cp"

The "姬遍" part is what's confusing me the most. What is this person's username supposed to be?

2. ragingphoenix

ragingphoenix Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Chinese handles seem kind of hard to translate to me, since they're often long phrases that take a million characters to type out in English.

Breaking it down, it looks like [林轻鹭] (her name) [姬] (female entertainer) [遍] (everywhere) [娱乐圈] (the entertainment circle). (I admit 姬 isn't really a character I'm familiar with either...)

So it would probably be something like "Lin Qinglu is the entertainment circle's master entertainer" or "Master Entertainer Lin Qinglu is everywhere in the entertainment circle". But given how wordy that gets, you could go the Twitter way and just do @linqinglu and footnote it or something.

aShinyVaporeon and KiwiCat like this.
  3. VeraH

VeraH eternally lazy

Reading List:
    Link
    the way i see it, 姬 here probably means beauty, in which way you can rewrite the whole thing as 林轻鹭遍娱乐圈
    so following this interpretation, the user means "lin qinglu flaunts her beauty all around the entertainment circle" (not sure if "flaunt" is a good enough word but i can't think of anything else rn sorry)
    this interpretation also assumes that the user is a fan of lin qinglu, of course. i think it makes sense given the comment the user made
    but idk the story so

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
    aShinyVaporeon and KiwiCat like this.
  4. KiwiCat

KiwiCat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    hmm, I see, it def gets a bit wordy in english
    Thank you for your help and for breaking it down!! ::bloblove::

ohhh, that's interesting, so it can also be used like 美. I'll take note of that for in the future, too
    Thank you so much! ::bloblove::

5. VeraH

VeraH eternally lazy

Reading List:
    Link
    if you get stuck on a certain "phrase", sometimes it's better to break it down into individual characters and search their own meanings. sometimes they might look like a "phrase" but they're actually separate words. "姬遍" is the same tbh, it's 2 separate words (姬 holds one meaning and 遍 another)
    ...idk if i explained that right. hope it helps!

KiwiCat likes this.
  6. KiwiCat

KiwiCat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    that helps a lot actually. Thank you!! I'll be sure to keep it in mind

VeraH likes this.
  7. frustratedguy109

frustratedguy109 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In Cantonese dialect, sounds like 'gay'. Given the context, it might really mean gay. So the username could mean something like "[News of] Lin Qinglu's homosexuality spreads throughout the entertainment circle."

8. KiwiCat

KiwiCat Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    dang this person's username is too big brain for me. Thank you for telling me!

aShinyVaporeon likes this.