Discussion I See You

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by luoxinle, Nov 1, 2022.

1. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    Another short novel! I'm looking forward to reading I See You, a short BL novel about a substitute "bride" marrying a crush. I'm a fan of love after marriage stories, so I'm excited to read this one. I'm hoping for lots of cuteness and a meant-to-be romance.

Special welcome to book group members!

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    wandrer, elideli and Aachiin0914 like this.
  2. DojaDoge

DojaDoge Formerly known as Ms.EliteNEET

Reading List:
    Link
    That is such a sweet, wholesome story! I'm looking forward to rereading it.

luoxinle likes this.
  3. elideli

elideli keepin' an eye out

Reading List:
    Link
    It was such a cute and fluffy story, really glad I found it!
    My favourite thing was that there were so many opportunities for drama but absolutely none of them had a chance to develop because the leads actually talked to each other! Even the whole replacement marriage issue wasn't dragged on for long and all the anxieties from it got soothed between them super quickly. The couple was also super sweet together I loved them.

wandrer, writtenforcup and luoxinle like this.
  4. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    I didn't realize this was an ancient China setting.

I always struggle a bit with BL set in ancient China because it's so unrealistic. Although there were plenty of gay relationships, there weren't marriages between men of equal status, and no man would marry into a family as a primary wife. The primary wife's role was to birth legitimate children, the concubines' role was to increase the chances of birthing more healthy children. Male lovers were either servants (basically tongfang) or outsiders. Men of equal status could be lovers, but they couldn't be family. The exception to this is of course the Emperor, since he can do whatever he wants. Still, there have been no male empresses. Just male harem members.

At least, that's what my research has lead me to believe. Does anyone know of anything else?

My preferred setting for BL is a slightly future China in which marriage has been legalized. I also accept transmigrated into a book, since that comes with an explanation for the historical incongruities.

I checked the original Chinese. For those wondering, MC's mother was promised to marry in as Ceshi or Ce-Furen, but instead married in as Qie. For folks who have read a lot of Ancient royal novels, you'll recognize "ce" from "Cefei". It's second in status to the primary wife. This is also the status that MC insists on promoting his mother to in exchange for complying with the "bride"-swap.

Here, what Li Chengze actually calls him is "Shuzi" or shu child/son. While "b*stard" isn't wrong, especially in a modern context, this is ancient China where "shu" refers to any child born to concubines rather than the "di" children born to the primary wife.

:aww: Ahhhh, their pillow talk is so cute! They are so sweet! :bloblove:

The phrases here are:
    Gege
    Ge-fu (this is a gay form of jiefu)
    Furen
    Fujun

Last edited: Nov 4, 2022
  5. writtenforcup

writtenforcup i wanna fffff

Reading List:
    Link
    OHMYGOD I LOVE THIS NOVEL SO MUCH I CAN'T WAIT TO RE-READ IT

elideli and luoxinle like this.
  6. Deleted member 343155

Deleted member 343155 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    This sounds cute... Will love to read it

luoxinle likes this.
  7. hypersniper159

hypersniper159 Creator of NuF’s 7th Enigma

Reading List:
    Link
    maybe I'm just over analyzing, but...
    I felt that the blindness of the mc could have been used in a better way; like his parents wish was for him to be perfect and how the lack of eyesight is an imperfection but XL finds a ton of value in him with his imperfections and helps him grow out of what his parents wanted for him and be more independent. I also disliked what the author did in the last 5 chapters. It kinda feels like it went against everything else the novel was trying to show within the characters.. Especially the last 2 chapters it just felt totally unnecessary. Like the author is trying to show that their relationship is so healthy and it will last until they part, but I already know that from c6-c10. Although the part with the childhood nickname was cute, it could’ve been inserted anywhere. Also the mothers position in the story is bizarre, i felt that she could've been written without her existing.

Massive respect to the author for showing a couple with healthy communication skills.

elideli likes this.
  8. elideli

elideli keepin' an eye out

Reading List:
    Link
    You're so right, it would have been nice if the blindness was used differently, but unfortunately it does fall into the trope of having the disability "cured" so the characters can have their happily ever after :/
    Imma be honest the fact I barely remember anything about the mother probably goes to show you're right lol.

I agree, as flawed as the things you commented on were, I did really enjoy how good the couple's communication was. That was the part I most enjoyed and honestly my main takeaway haha

hypersniper159 likes this.
  9. luoxinle

Reading List:
    Link
    Agree with all of this. As a disabled person, the "cured disability" trope grates on me so much. Because obviously they couldn't have a proper love story if they're still disabled. The disability is only there to facilitate them getting together and to prove the MCs "true love", since how could anyone want a disabled person unless they loved them beyond all reason? And then removed to provide a satisfying face-slap when the person who couldn't look past the disability misses out on an awesome able-bodied partner.

I admit it's otherwise a sweet relationship, though.

elideli and hypersniper159 like this.