Cheating in exams.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Walter vi Britannia, Nov 4, 2022.

1. Walter vi Britannia

Walter vi Britannia Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    We're taking our mid-term exams for our first semester currently at my university and I just witnessed the girl sitting diagonally from me blatantly cheating using her phone! It feels so disheartening. I studied so hard for this exam. I really wanted to get the top spot, but if I get beaten by someone who cheated...what's the point?

I mean, I know what the point is. If I look at the bigger picture I'm not really studying for a top spot in the university but for what comes after university. But still, it was a motivation for me to try hard, a small fun goal to strive towards. Now it just feels unfair and rigged.

Anyway, just in case anybody asks, no I did not rat the girl out to the teacher. I'm not gonna be snitching on anybody. Its not my job. I don't like cheaters but they're my classmates and I've hung out with all of them. I'm not gonna vilify myself against my classmates for something like this. Though I do pray from the bottom of my heart all these cheaters get expelled, and that the university creates a better system to catch these fuckers. They have security cams in the room, are they just for show?

I just wanted to rant.

MusicFromMiles likes this.
  2. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    *pats pats pats* I can understand your feeling my friend but it is what it is!

Anyway look at the bigger picture— you are studying hard and the knowledge gained will help you in future but for them it's worrisome.

P.s— what if they did cheat on exams but late in anual exams they studied them again this time well and get good marks— (⁠(⁠(⁠;⁠ꏿ⁠_⁠ꏿ⁠;⁠)⁠)⁠)

3. Amaruna Myu

Amaruna Myu ugly squid dokja (●´∀`●)

Reading List:
    Link
    they will eventually get caught and face disciplinary action

4. sweed

sweed l.o.v.e.m.u.f.f.i.n.

Reading List:
    Link
    @Walter vi Britannia Concentrate on yourself. As long as you pass you did well. It doesn't change your grade when she cheats, does it? I'd react like this (if I'd care at all):
    Cheater has a better grade: She cheated therefore it should be invalid. Study more next time so even cheaters get worse grades.
    Cheater has a worse grade: She deserved it, even cheating didn't compensate being unprepared.
    :blobhero:

5. chencking

chencking [Daolord Grammar Nazi]

Reading List:
    Link
    In my uni classes, most cheaters were not caught by proctors. There were exceptions of course, but the proctors mainly seemed to be there to prevent collaboration. Instead, most cheaters were caught by analyzing their answers.

Walter vi Britannia likes this.
  6. Resplendor

Resplendor High Lord of Souls

Reading List:
    Link
    Yeah, cheaters are the worst.
    I hope you get a satisfactory grade on your test though!

7. canaria23

canaria23 『  』

Reading List:
    Link
    One time finals, my seat was blocked by a large pillar. I finished my physics exam early then I answered my 2(girls) classmates papers before I went out.

8. Cyltea

Cyltea New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    *Pat pats for you* :blob_patpat:
    Made me appreciate my university's regulation.

Cheating on exam = drop out.
    We need to place our bags (and naturally phones) in front of the classroom before exam start. Basically only your writing utensils, not even pencil case, must be on the table.
    The proctors were also not our university's staff, and it's rumored they get bonus for catching people who cheats. :blobjoy:
    Every semester there's list of names (not too many) on the public board of people who cheated (and dropped out).

Resplendor likes this.
  9. Shaiole

Shaiole Mad scientist

Reading List:
    Link
    Yea... it is kinda annoying. If i was in you shoes i'd probably not expose them too. Coz i'd rather have lesser drama whenever. But I think all cheaters to be expelled is kinda too harsh punishment. Fail or repeat a subject should be enough.

In my university, some students pay professionals or higher batch to create their thesis/projects for them. It is kinda annoying that some of my classmates just paid their way just to graduate. But then i just assured myself with knowledge i gained from creating my projects belongs to me.If they didnt learn anything in the university, it is them who is missing out, not me. Anyways, grades are only numbers. Probably will only be relevant when you apply in your first job. It is more important that you learn new things or skills or exercise your brain.

Sometimes in life, playing by the rules is not always the most optimal solution. Someday people will choose to lie or cheat or bribe in small or big matters. But sometimes that doesnt always mean they are bad people. Sometimes they are just human. Sometimes...

10. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    That's what I hoped uni exams would be like as well. But seems I was wrong. I'm so jealous of your uni.

Yea, you're right. After having some time to think about it expulsion does seem to be too harsh. Even if they did do something wrong they were still good towards me. I shouldn't wish harm upon somebody who I've positively interacted with. I feel like an asshole now.
    I was just a bit pissed because I was so excited for university and something just didn't go the way I expected it to go, which is kinda dumb on my part because not everything will go how you want or expect it to. I should be glad that so far it did.

11. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, My uni generally have open book exam and people still failed at it :blobowoevil:

Don't care about others who are cheating. It's their own business, just do your best. Whether you believe it or not, those little differences, affect a lot of things in your future work life.

I generally don't care about class placement. Those scholarship A+ students care about it though, but even they know no amount of cheating can beat their hard works. That's just how my uni works anyway.

Just cheat all you want here, it's allowed.

Still, whether you can find the answer or not by cheating, is up to your ability. :blobsmilehappyeyes:

12. Walter vi Britannia

Reading List:
    Link
    Thanks. That actually made me feel better. You're right. No matter how easily they cheated it doesn't really feel like it would be easier than just studying. Just reading and then writing feels like it would take too much time, not to mention the time it takes to find the answer, I'd never be able to finish all the answers on time. All the top students in every school are actually the smart students. No matter how much someone cheats I've never seen any of them rank high. So that should be proof enough it would not affect anything in the placements.
    The results will tell. I know their names. I'll see how well they did. :blobowoevil_horns:

sakyuya likes this.
  13. FIEND

FIEND i eat crayons

Reading List:
    Link

look man, at the end of the day you understand the concepts and she doesnt. you the winner at the end of the day. school isnt a game, its for learning . if you see it that way, it wont matter what happens because at the end of the day you understand and will be able to apply concepts more than her

14. Eat_Angst

Eat_Angst |System T219| [The Bear Monarch]

Reading List:
    Link
    You know all the times I've tried to cheat, either the cheat I bring out is the wrong one ,either I chicken out and never use the cheat, or I only use the cheat as hints to bring back my burried memories of the answer sometimes you gotta cheat too, but not always
    For example my memory is very idk specially for maths like I'll know the answer but not the formula to it you know
    But I still don't cheat so I keep on failing haha

I'm at the stage where grade is more important than knowledge so gpa is very important

15. 7starkiller99

7starkiller99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    My sympathies but remember that just because they’re cheating doesn’t mean they’re assured to do better than you.

After all, if you’ve studied and focused 100% on the exam there’s a high chance you can still outperform the cheaters.

16. pass1478

pass1478 I'm in Despair!

Reading List:
    Link
    Watch them suffer during boards. Focus more on yourself

17. Deleted member 456425

Deleted member 456425 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Might be pessimistic, but not everyone gets caught.

Though I have a fun story of someone getting caught.

Midterms, I think it was Engineering Mechanics. One was using his phone to cheat. While the proctor was playing while waiting. My seat was near the front so I was spacing out just watching the prof after finishing the test. Then suddenly the prof paused. There was a moment stillness. he stood up and then walked to the back seat, I was just watching him. Then he picked up a classmate's test paper and ripped it in half! Prof told the guy to get out the classroom and silently went back to his chair.

18. Elementarteilchen

Elementarteilchen Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    On certain exams we had to use our "law books". Some students discovered where to buy the exact same paper and size of the law book and used a special glue to insert the additional paper in the law book.
    The sites looked like they belong in the book and it was impossible to discover, unless you read the content of course. There wasn't a lot of "cheating potential" anyway, but I guess it saved them some time in the exam.