Discussion Benefits of reading you've experienced ?

Discussion in 'Novel General' started by ReaderReader, Nov 5, 2022.

?

q

1. Yes

58.1%
  2. No

9.7%
  3. Not sure

22.6%
  4. You think I read ?

9.7%
  1. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    There are researches on how reading is good for you whether it's fiction or non fiction.

Claimed Benefits
    • Higher Emotional Intelligence
    • Larger Vocabulary
    • Better Concentration
    • Better Imagination and Visualisation
    • And more
    Have you experienced any yourself ? I wonder if they're just trying to make people read more by claiming good things but there are some decent researches so ..

missluna and Cutter Masterson like this.
  2. Stripedhatbecomesgay

Stripedhatbecomesgay Guess who’s a super good spammer? It’s me!

Reading List:
    Link
    Hmm, well I take a lot of inspiration from books I've read when I need to write something for english class

Umm, maybe higher EQ
    I feel more things to characters than I did before

ReaderReader likes this.
  3. The Hamster Overlord

The Hamster Overlord Mad scientist/Revered wizard/Alleged antichrist

Reading List:
    Link
    There is reading good books and there is reading whatever schlack is posted here.
    Can you expect gaining higher emotional intelligence from reading harem op face-slapping murderhobo xianxuan protagonist stories? It's good enough if they don't fuck up your brain.
    Larger vocabulary from novels written by amateur writers and translated by even more amateur translators - or machines? Ha.
    Better concentration? Oh, please - this is the equivalent of tv shows - but even worse. Frankly, I don't bother remembering the names of the characters in stories. And, who honestly pays attention when reading a cliche that's been waxed a million times over.
    Better imagination and visualization - who knows. Maybe.
    And more? I just don't see it.

Tbh, there is no benefit in reading anything here. And I mean anything. There are some gems here and there - but they have nothing against the actual masterpieces. And there are obviously no novels here that will be remembered some 100 years down the line.
    I personally read here as a distraction. It's like how kids playing minecraft (do kids still play minecraft?) - they do the same thing over and over - but it is fun. Really eats into your time - but it is your time, so you spend it however you want - although it is not the most practical or useful way of spending it.
    If you want reading to be useful then read good books. Otherwise you might as well read instructions for air sprinklers and such.

4. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh Bruh

Reading List:
    Link
    Depending on what type of book/novel I’m reading, it’s either going to give my anger issues or make me write a whole essay about how good it was.

I’ll say that yeah, maybe you will have a larger range of vocabulary (be it for insulting someone or something else) and imagination, but EQ and concentration, I’ll say no. This kind of all depend on what you’re reading, like if you’re in your teens and decide to read a kindergarten level book, it’s not going to help you at all.

ReaderReader likes this.
  5. sakyuya

sakyuya 【Villain】【Very tired and wants to retire】

Reading List:
    Link
    I can have good relationship with my sister because of reading. Truthfully my previous relationship with her is very worse, but well it has improved thanks to the various advice I learned as I read.

I have also lose my desire to marry because of all the books I had read. I learned that marriage life is just not for me.

I had also become open-minded in lots of stuff. Yes, I can't 100% accept it these stuff, but I can at least respects people for their choices and preferences.

and lastly...

I become a cultured person :blobcatblush:.

Yonaz and ReaderReader like this.
  6. otaku31

otaku31 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Of course, reading is beneficial. Isn't it supposed to be one of the cardinal measures of literacy? And there's hardly anyone out there who would dispute the necessity of being literate in this day and age.

As for the question of what kind of reading and its relative virtues, I'll leave it to the individual concerned to be the best judge of what he has gained or hopes to gain.

asriu, sakyuya, Meap and 1 other person like this.
  7. Vilidious

Vilidious Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    The main benefit for me is that it passes my time.

One more tool in my toolbox for remaining an unattractive and unhealthy person.

8. Meap

Meap Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    In my opinion, there is a lot gained from reading almost everything. Even face slapping, harem seeking, and infuriating stories.

The prerequisite is to think about them for a little bit. Why did I dislike the novel? Is it because I grew mentally? Maybe something has changed within me. Or did you read too many of them and will come back later? Maybe the story is not to my liking, perhaps I have different desires.

Sometimes reading is simply an act of pleasure. Wish fulfillment is all too common and one of my guilty pleasures especially when done well.

If you think about it for a little bit, reading can allow you to get a glimpse into the world of the author. At least as long as it is not a book catered to a specific audience with specific rules or restrictions.

Also, reading helped me improve my ability to read "non-fiction". I am faster and able to absorb more information due to years of reading experience.

Although different mediums can be as effective as reading, for example listening to a story, watching a movie, watching a play, and many more, reading is one of the if not the fastest ways of allowing for information transport (if you are used to it).

Not Orris and ReaderReader like this.
  9. Cyltea

Cyltea New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It helps learn english.

And destroys it as I move to MTL.

10. Cutter Masterson

Cutter Masterson Well-Known Super-Soldier

Reading List:
    Link
    Personally, I believe it’s true. A person is a box. An accumulation of knowledge and experience, but when some new ideas, knowledge or whatever. Will force you to expand your horizons. So many of the benefits you’ve mentioned would be a byproduct or side effects of reading. While I could go on. My answer is YES

sakyuya and ReaderReader like this.
  11. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    Getting romantic advice from novels .. :hmm: I guess ythat some novels show how humans are fucking evil .. plsdonttakedatingadvicefromnovelspls :meowsadlife:

12. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    As a teacher and an avid reader, I can confidently say that there are definitely benefits to reading. This includes novels like these (really!), though the benefits may be different depending on what you read. Allow me to elaborate.

Reading published books can improve your spelling, grammar, and vocabulary. This is not exclusive to high end literature. Any book with a decent editor will have proper spelling and grammar, and spending time reading builds familiarity and practice. The more you see a word spelled correctly, the easier it is to remember. The more you see a grammar structure used correctly, the easier it is to remember how to use it. As for vocabulary, I've found that high fantasy and science fiction often have quite extensive vocabulary, even though they aren't what most people would call "great literature". If you read both American and British novels, you can gradually pick up on the spelling, grammar, and vocabulary differences, all without ever having to study.

As for reading webnovels, there are still a lot of benefits. By reading another author's writing, you get a glimpse of how other people see things. Even if the way they see things is kind of messed up, it's still beneficial to have a broader understanding of how other people see the world. This is especially true for books written from the perspective of other cultures. That said, it's important to remember the identity of the author; BL written by women tells you more about women than it does about gay people, and will bring different benefits than reading gay stories written by gay authors.

In addition, the advantages of having a fast reading speed can't be emphasized enough. When you read more, you get faster at reading. As you skim the website looking for interesting books, you practice skimming. When you are trying to find that book you read before, you practice scanning (another reading skill) and search engine use. When you read translator notes you practice intensive reading. Reading the novels practices extensive reading. All of these skills are useful both in school and in the real world.

So you have official permission from this teacher to count all of your reading as a type of studying. Enjoy!

asriu, Not Orris, Effugium and 2 others like this.
  13. tonguelasher

tonguelasher Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I think I learned more idioms and phrases from different countries. I like that a lot, and I think it's pretty amazing. On the other hand... vocabulary... well, I'm bad in general. :blobcheeky:

Yonaz, Not Orris and luoxinle like this.
  14. Eat_Angst

Eat_Angst |System T219| [The Bear Monarch]

Reading List:
    Link
    I know how to write, like really really good, I'm a good judge of character in really life, I can now connect the dots and think of every possible scenario. My teachers complement me alot on my writing hehe and since I have to write alot for the subjects I chose I can spin the topic nicely too

15. 7starkiller99

7starkiller99 Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    You now know how not to write a novel!

Unfortunately you won’t learn how to write a novel yourself though.

16. A novel a day

A novel a day Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Whenever I read something and I like it, then I go and search about how it actually works, suppose I read about an e-sports player MC, and I found it interesting how e-sports works, then I go and search about it, basically it helps me gain interest in things which I would've never found interesting if not for the novel which eventually leads to broader knowledge, and some authors do actually research about what they're writing. The major drawback is that I lost sense of any grammar, tenses, punctuation etc. I had because of reading too much MTL.

Not Orris likes this.
  17. Not Orris

Not Orris Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I am waiting for someone (else) to construct a similar argument to "a picture is a thousand words and a video is a compilation of pictures. Thus, me watching 72 hours of anime and dramas can be considered studying."

18. luoxinle

luoxinle Book Club Founder

Reading List:
    Link
    I am here for you. I am an English teacher to speakers of other languages, and I can tell you that you absolutely can learn a language from watching dramas. You may need to add a little studying on the side, especially if you want to learn to read and write, but you can get pretty far with watching dramas, provided you watch enough hours of them.

Anime less so, only because the grammar and language used in anime is so different from everyday talk. For example "-sama" is never used in real life. People who learn Japanese from anime talk funny.

19. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    • Higher Emotional Intelligence - Yes, also empathy
    • Larger Vocabulary - True, that's why English took over my native language... Everything I read is in English
    • Better Concentration - Yep. But I've read since I was like 4-5, so I never had a problem concentrating
    • Better Imagination and Visualisation - Visualisation, not so much. Like not at all actually. Maybe my brain's got a problem. But imagination - definitely.
    • And more - As long as you read actual books and not junk food books like web novels lol. Who am I to talk tho, they're more interesting. Reading classics, historical books, philosophy, biographies,etc, you can absolutely learn more from other people's experiences.

20. asriu

asriu fu~ fu~ fu~

Reading List:
    Link
    vocabulary imo the most distinct one~ learning when to use of word, not really grammatical one but this cat learn fuck, damn or other curse err crude stuff have plenty of variation..... there also bit of culture way of talking on various personality of character~

on non fiction book, yeah there so much to learn~