Discussion Which romance genre/tag do you hate the most?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lyndiz, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Lyndiz

Lyndiz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Which romance genre/tag do you hate the most? I, for example, hate harem, I think the MC becomes vulnerable, influenceable and idiotic when it comes to all the women that make up his harem.

2. IrregularPerson

IrregularPerson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I agree. Harem's are difficult to portray and are likely to carry no weight to the story. I would suggest "Regressors Instructor Manual" if you want a good kick from a harem though, the scumbag MC deserves to feel a sense of urgency from the few ladies that taken an interest in him scare him.
    But there are also bi-harems, where both masc. and fem. have a possessive desire. But those just feel like an dysfunctional found-family where the sustaining relationship is dependent on a single person.
    Either way, most titles I've read do very little outside of character coding them. The ones mentioned are the exception because theres's room for consequence.
    But the trope I hate the most is r*pe-victim becomes lover; there is plenty inherently wrong with the trope BUT most portrayals often use it for plot rather than development. Like "trauma" the thing all characters need, but when it comes down to this trope, very few titles address the severity of the action.

3. PrettyDamnCritical

PrettyDamnCritical Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    "Rape victim becomes lover", cause a lot of authors just seem to gloss over it like it never happened or make a joke out of it basically. I just find it really disgusting

4. historicalbean

historicalbean Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate love triangles & that whole “which one is the love interest” thing that’s especially prevalent in korean rofan (romantic fantasy) manhwas. & don’t me started on the exes that always seem to pop up and can’t let go

5. LeniSnow

LeniSnow New Pretty Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Runaway and misunderstanding. I skip immediately if I see that in ridi

northerner and Lyndiz like this.
  6. Deleted member 343155

Deleted member 343155 Guest

Reading List:
    Link
    Harem and smut

Lyndiz likes this.
  7. Shio

Shio Moderator Staff Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Romance comedy echi.

The three combo I will avoid with all my might

8. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    • Harem
    • Oblivious Harem MC
    • Bad high school comedy romance
    • Body Swap
    • Tomboy Childhood Crush
    • A cheating B knowing it and accepting it because B has no power

9. historicalbean

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh! Can’t forget those “I only treat you like trash because I don’t know how to communicate my feelings for you, why can’t you get that I like you?” & those stories that gives you a million reasons to hate a villain, only for them to get off scot free because of one redemption arc chapter :blob_catflip:

10. Bobasis

Bobasis Weeeeee

Reading List:
    Link
    Does this count as like a tag or genre?
    N
    T
    Fucking
    R
    It breaks my heart too much and then I feel like committing 60 different war crimes after reading it. One time it wasn’t tagged as NTR and I read it. That ended up in me crying and close to punching a hole through my wall. Also like older person that too care of someone since they were a child and when that someone grows up they fall in love. Idk why but something about being like a parental figure to someone when they’re a child And then they grow up and you guys fall in love just makes feel weird.

Lyndiz and ReaderReader like this.
  11. ReaderReader

ReaderReader (◍•ᴗ•◍) [Important things must be said 2 times]

Reading List:
    Link
    Oh yeah NTR , I started a couple of cuckoos thinking that it was a high school harem ... ntr is literally spelled out and *explained in character speech bubbles :notlikeblob:

12. Lyndiz

Lyndiz Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    NTR is on my list to avoid, since the times I read it I sincerely wanted to kill the author

13. Esha07

Esha07 ☄your favorite meanie࿐ྂ

Reading List:
    Link
    The above reasons.

Lyndiz likes this.
  14. historicalbean

Reading List:
    Link
    NTR is so far from my radar that I forget ntr works exists tbh. Anime based on it comes out every so often, but I always I ignore them

15. IrregularPerson

IrregularPerson Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I totally get you, aside from feeling iffy about the efficacy of romance tropes. The ones I immediately raise red flags for, "raising your lover", is one that I avoid like the plague.
    I've read too many story's about one of the parties in the relationship being infantilized; physically or (fictional) amnesiacs. I take issue because if it's the MC: they're typically whiny, a damsel or a flower garden and the power balance and decision making is left to their significant other. This is unrealistic or at least unhealthy to an extremity. ONE OF THEM IS A DEPENDANT. Even when MC's are making a decision, it usually is within the allowed confines of their SO.
    If it's the ML, typically because of amnesia or other extenuating circumstances. I 100% have issues with them continuing to go along with it. I've read how this grown man continued to transform as a child because they were content with being spoiled and not revealing his identity to the point that his career had problems. And yet he strolls up in his adult identity and bombard this housewife with gifts with no rhyme or reason for suddenly happening. This 'trickery' is demoralizing and is a fraud of relationship.
    This trope also has the pit of being able to completely disregard the other party: one, because 'time' somehow makes up the relationship rather than the experiences shared between them. Heck, I'd sell myself for a dynamic between the two parties, over the beloved, 'childhood friends' trope, if they can't take their partner into consideration about decisions that involve the two of them.
    The very specific trope where one of them essentially is a co-parent for their friend.
    Two, establishing a paternal/maternal role with one of them, somehow allows sexual harassment because they're 'family'. Obviously, it's hidden intentions! Yet there is no trouble because they don't want that person to get in trouble. Three, back to how unhealthy the relationship can be. People can be isolated in these sorts of situations where people know how they are from a past-tense. Getting to know who they are for here-on out, is something that needs to be worked out; but this trope sets up a mindset, that their partner didn't change during puberty or haven't experienced much stimulating things like coping with the loss of a loved one of overcoming failure from an assignment. Like a parent wanting their adult kid to live with them, the longevity of the relationship factor influences your interaction with others. I don't know what to explain, but there has to be growth.
    I have nothing against spoiling girl bosses or hyper-competent men, or even the kink of infantilization BUT if that's the entirety of the relationship. That's kind of gross.

wasntbornyesterday likes this.