these aren't metal, right?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Shiki, Nov 15, 2022.

1. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    so, got into a debate with friend on a spotify playlist. these are some songs in my playlist.

here's my spotify playlist. https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1...i=YjXVOnouT8C2ci90ycb6Ew&utm_source=copy-link

I don't think these songs qualify as metal. for one, there is no that screaming and growling vocals. second, there are strings and piano in several of the songs. third, the vocalist is female (nothing against female vocalist, but the vocal is quite clear, not some harsh unintelligible noise). I feel like these can be classified as rock, but not metal. but he keep insisting that what I listen is metal. it isn't, right?

ikhors likes this.
  2. ikhors

ikhors [ Servant Of Evil ]

Reading List:
    Link
    At best most of these are at punk level (> <) ,, These are in no way metal your friend needs to get their music genres polished! Haha if you want to show them cheap metal (*sigh* with good songs) play the song "king for a day" by pierce the veil :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5ejci4y7vo

Shiki likes this.
  3. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    yep. just because the drumming pattern is like that (which is the point of my playlist, some upbeat songs for me to listen, without going to those harsh screaming), he thinks that the songs in my playlist is metal. I just want to listen to fast paced song with variability in the instruments' phrasing(?).

ikhors likes this.
  4. Zshow

Zshow Active Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's more symphonic metal similar to the band Nightwish

Shiki likes this.
  5. Beer_Kitty

Beer_Kitty Just a very very drunk kitty that likes beer

Reading List:
    Link
    Its Metal. But not in the screaming screeching type called HEAVY METAL.

As of now there are different versions of metal based on metalheads. Some accept similar to this and some hated it.
    Heck i remember the time they didnt accept any songs from BABYMETAL from years ago.

Shiki likes this.
  6. Shiki

Shiki Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    what makes metal metal?

7. FreyjaVanadis

FreyjaVanadis Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    If I recall correctly, it has to do with the drumming style. There's a particular beat pattern, the double bass beat, that is associated exclusively with metal, especially black metal. Satyricon, one of the founding bands of black metal, is known for having a drummer, Frost, who will throw random styles in with his drumming, especially jazz. The harsh or growling vocals - sometimes called the "Cookie Monster Voice" is what you're thinking about with the harsh vocals. Opeth, a progressive black metal band, is REALLY well known for having a lead singer who will switch instantly between harsh and clean vocals. Igorr is another VERY weird metal band - it's an avant garde project where the man driving the band has synesthenia, so the music is REALLY out there a lot of the time. Unleash the Archers is a GREAT example of a modern metal band that does mostly clean vocals and is also fronted by a woman. There's a LOT of metal that doesn't fit the old definitions a lot of us grew up with.

Hang on - I need to have more posts before it will let me post links.
    Examples - Satyricon, K.I.N.G

Satyricon - Phoenix

Opeth - Reverie and Harlequin Forest -

Igorr - Cheval -

Igorr - Opus Brain -

Unleash the Archers - Awakening - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqUPGa15Oto

Shiki likes this.
  8. AliceShiki

AliceShiki 『Ms. Tree』『Magical Girl of Love and Justice』

Reading List:
    Link
    I think the difference is kinda blurry tbh... Like, there are a lot of metal variants... Heavy Metal, Power Metal, Death Metal... And lots of many others.

I don't really know how to draw the line between what is rock and what is metal, really. I don't even know what is the exact thing that classifies something as metal.

So... If someone said "X song is a metal variant", I'd probably believe it, simply because I don't know any better~

FreyjaVanadis likes this.
  9. patient

patient Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's symphonic metal. Clear vocals, female vocalists and symphonic instruments are quite common in "lighter" metal like symphonic metal or gothic metal.

FreyjaVanadis likes this.