Discussion Solo Leveling

Discussion in 'Novel Discussion' started by Kelsealoufromkalamazoo, Jul 2, 2022.

?

Do you like Solo Leveling?

1. Yes

37 vote(s)
    66.1%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. I could literally care less

13 vote(s)
    23.2%
  1. fdsgadfgdfgsdg

fdsgadfgdfgsdg Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    Solo Leveling is way overhyped. It doesn't really have much that sets it apart from other generic hunter-type Korean novels. Only reason it is so big is because of the comic version of it.

2. Joachimenstein

Joachimenstein Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It's the most popular korean novel and webcomic.
    It's a novel that made history, now it's mediocre because you have thousands of novels like Solo Leveling, the fantasy genre doesn't have much emotion either, there are three paths when creating a fantasy novel. (don't expect complexity or maturity, most of them are power up after power up as if it was a game hack).
    1- The main character explores the world and becomes an Inuyasha after +1000 chapters, from your average korean or your chad korean to a mystical white hair god after reaching +50 different body states and chakras. Chinese fantasy novels and Korean fantasy novels.
    2-The main character explores the world and becomes the op super devil, soul master, ... Japanese fantasy novels and Korean fantasy novels
    3- Kirito's everywhere, albino kirito, edgelord kirito, blonde kirito, Kirito,...Japanese fantasy novels.
    Solo leveling is not that bad, it's relatively short with only 271 chapters and it has a lot of action. The main character also has a love interest who doesn't mess up the novel or webcomic with too many romantic scenes.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  3. Linley

Linley 【Linlin】【The Love Doctor】【NUF Nicknamer】

Reading List:
    Link
    I hate it as a novel, but can stand it as a webcomic

Ice_Rose and UndyingSLIME10295 like this.
  4. aqouze

aqouze Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    I never read novel, only manhwa...I cannot say yes or no because I love it til the part where MC revealed his S Rank to the world...after that they are super-boring...so I just skim to see how the story end...

All side characters has no purpose in the story...

Ice_Rose and otaku31 like this.
  5. SerialBeggar

SerialBeggar Hate your family? Got no friends? Gimme your stuff

Reading List:
    Link
    Yup. I was going to say the same. The novel itself is just ok. It was the manhwa's very appealing artwork that generated the impetus for fans to rush out the translations of the novel after it DCMAed (? can't remember).

6. ludagad

ludagad Addicted to escapist novels

Reading List:
    Link
    Not a masterpiece, but the art and pacing in the webtoon definitely helped it along. I'm almost excited for the anime, only the fact that it's Sword Art Online's animators who'll be doing it kinda makes me feel dubious about it. I hope they don't fuck it up with their moe art style -_-. Just imagine MC as a Kirito lookalike. :blob_coughblood:

Other than that, the story is my type. I haven't gotten bored of the dungeon genre in Korean novels/webtoons. Extra plus if the MC is steadfast and not a pervert. And extra bonus points if the male to female ratio is roughly 50/50, or more males than females if the story is more gritty. I can't stand stories where it's girl after girl like men don't exist in that world other than as mob characters. So, Solo Leveling was right in my strike zone, and it was one of the first of its type that I read back then, so it's a bit special in that sense.

7. Blondiebaka

Blondiebaka Well-Known Member

Reading List:
    Link
    For me it's a masterpiece

8. Hans_hans_n_frans

Hans_hans_n_frans New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    It was the first novel I read so it left a great impression on me. After reading some other novels I don't think it's as good, but I'd say it's one of the novels I recommend if someone wants an easy entry point. It's pretty short with some great action.

9. Aaliya

Aaliya New Member

Reading List:
    Link
    There are plenty of other Korean dungeon/tower novels that easily surpass Solo Leveling (literally where Solo Leveling draws much of it's inspiration) but I still love it. It was my first novel and I still personally think it's great but the story is pretty meh

Ice_Rose likes this.